254 members have voted

1. 1. How did we do?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Grade and discuss the overall Draft.

Very happy with our picks this year and pumped to have a extra first rounder next year. I wasn't huge on the Peterman pick but loving it more and more. That pick might be the steal of the entire draft.

Edited by Real McCoy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best draft I've witnessed in 20 years.

1- got a 1st rounder 2018

2- a QB that is custom built for our offense that can sit & learn

3- 3 starters in first 3 picks

4- no off field issues from anyone

5- Ragland is basically our 4th rd pick

meh. other than the OLineman, they essentially replaced with rookies the experienced NFL players they let get away in FA. big deal. treading water. can't wait for another 7-9 season 2-4 in the division. one step backwards, one forward.

BTW, does the media even acknowledge there is a franchise in WNY anymore?

C-

Passed on elite talents at #10, replaced FA departures at #27 and #37, trade ups cost a lot.

Maybe 1-2 starters but neither of them are going to great players.

Got very Billsy in Round 2.

I don't see anything different than 6 wins.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

They likely found three starters in a single draft, a project QB that we keep asking them to take, and some small bodies to play some weird hybrid LB/SS. I think they probably could have found a WR and a RT without trading up again especially if this draft was as deep as everyone says.

I would give B or B-. They got the first round pick I projected. However after Howard kept falling the better move was to go up and get him. They could have gotten a decent DB later. Howard has the chance to be All-Pro. Jones is a nice piece. He only matter is Watkins is healthy and signed long term.

I still don't see a second starting safety on this team. I also don't see any depth at safety. They need to make a few more moves to even be competitive in the defensive backfield. If Darby regresses further and/or Hyde does not work out we may have a bottom 5 defensive backfield.

Lastly, did they miss on Foster? If he is a star, he could have been the best LB since Spikes or Biscuit.

I went with a B-. A 2018 1st is huge given the pending decision on the QB position. Big fan of the picks of White, Dawkins, Milano and Vallejo.

Thought Zay Jones was a bit of a reach (and a pointless trade-up as a consequence) and I have very few nice things to say about Peterman.

At the very least, the moves around the board showed ambition. The right type of people were sought after.

I'm officially giving it a D+... Factoring in all the good talent we passed up in rds 3&4... Poor draft, overall.

Agree.

I think the trade ups were forced. Our situational drafting strategy made no sense.

We again passed on QB when only one was off the board, traded up when only 3 WRs were gone, passsd on DLine again.

We did not get better. This is a 6 win team.

^^ this. Well written and I had forgotten about the Ragland aspect. A+

Edited by horned dogs

1. White - C - solid but small and slow, would have preferred a bigger corner latter, like CB Brian Allen 6'3" 215.

2. Jones - A - Hell yeah, move over Sammy

2. Dawkins - C+ - great run blocker but was guard and suspect pass protection, we already have this. Would have drafted RT Ryan Ramczyc in the first.

5. Milano - B+ - perfect fit for the system, could get run over by lineman but will make up for it in the pass.

5. Peterman - D - guy is a backup at best, Cardale must be real bad.

6. Vallejo - C - Same as Milano but has a ton of injuries.

Grade and discuss the overall Draft.

Very happy with our picks this year and pumped to have a extra first rounder next year. I wasn't huge on the Peterman pick but loving it more and more. That pick might be the steal of the entire draft.

I will give it a solid B - If there was a B+ - I would take that.

Love the guys they picked - (the 2 LBs are meh, but I love the first 3 picks).

Love the trade back and extra pick next year.

I think we are in a good position - just wish we had a schedule like 2 years ago.

This is no better than a C draft.

We replaced what we lost in FA with rookies.

Zach Brown or Matt Milano, Robert Woods or Zay Jones, Gilmore or White?

We did not get any better and you have to question if the trade ups were even necessary. They seemed like panic moves.

Okay, so we got replacements for players we let go and picked up FB DeMarco, SS Hyde & WR Holmes.

Great argument! Would you be happier if we DIDN'T replace them?

C

we drafted

27. Tra'Davious White CB - LSU

37. Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

63. Dion Dawkins, OL, Temple

163. Matt Milano, LB, Boston College

171. Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

195. Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State

who we could have drafted with two foolish trades

Now I fully understand the Zay Jones trade but did we have to?

27. Tra'Davious White CB - LSU

42. Adem Sheen, TE, Ashland

74. Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida or Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State

91. Cam Sutton, CB, Tennessee or John Reynalds, WR, Texas AM

156. Rodrick Johnson, OT, Florida State

163. Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

171. De'angelo Hendersom, RB Coastal Carolina or TJ Logan, RB, NC State

195.Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State OR Adam Bisnowsky, OL, Pittsburgh

I give it a C

1- yeah they got a first rounder but if that doesn't turn into a QB next year then that player might not be as good as what they could have gotten with another second rounder and more from the Chiefs this year.

2- I'm all for taking shots on QB's but they were very pick-shy this year and the roster depth is a serious concern.

3- Maybe but doubtful and it's also not just about getting starters in early rounds.......that's where you need difference makers........it's a matchup league and I think the ceilings of those guys are a concern.

4- true

5- False :doh:

I think the Bills did things assbackwards this offseason.........they took a long range cap outlook in free agency........but then drafted for need NOW.

I suspect that in the next couple offseasons they will find themselves doing those things that undermined them for most of their existence.......drafting for need.....selecting a RB early.......and overpaying for other teams warty free agents to save McDermott's job....this draft could look pretty ugly.

Should have taken the chance on one of the early picked QB's.....preferably Mahomes because of upside.......but in lieu of not taking a potential franchise course changer I didn't like the trade-ups.......roster needed depth and talent.

i'm glad we got a 1st next year because god knows we are gonna need it.

we got a starting cb...ok we ended up with an extra 3rd and next years 20+...although with the extra 3rd i'm thinking foster here.

we got a starting wr....a costly trade up when there was a ton of good receivers available

we got a player who hopefully can go to rt and eventually start.....another costly trade up...gave up picks for a guy who may not be able to unseat mills...if at all....

and we got maybe the next ryan fitzpatrick....in peterson...color me impressed

other than that we got nothing....a big vacuum from round 2 til 5 and 6....who?

we couldn't even consider one of what was or could have been the best qb talents this year and honored the teams history by stashing kelly for a year.

so out of all of the picks that we had after the trade in round 1, we net 2 starters and a maybe. i don't know who called the shots here, but if it was mcdermott, my high on him is seriously deflated.....if it was whaley...what more reason to realize that we need a new gm.

after the 1st round they **** the bed for sure....wow i went from optimistic to 6-10

Edited by billsredneck1

The best part about this draft was gaining next years 2018 pick. We need all the picks that we can get if we are ever going to get better again.

After that....

White will be a very good player especially in the zone defense. No problem with it at all. B+

Zay Jones is a dime a dozen WR that we lost a third rounder that could have been another starter in a trade up for him. His ceiling is a possession reliever, imo. We reached for "need." If Sammy goes down Zay won't be an effective #1. C-

Dawkins is not the most gifted player but this was a weak class of OLineman. Positionally, this was both a need area and a position that has increased value to find in the draft based on how much good OL go for in FA. Additionally, this helps us as our line continues to age prepare for the future. Even though we traded up, I give this one a pass. B.

Milano - hate both of these picks. Milano is too slow for a Safety and too small for a WLB. He can't get away from OL and isn't fast enough to keep up in coverage. Playing the zone, maybe he will be ok but think it was an uninspiring pick but it was the 5th round so whatever. C

Peterman - people are loving him as a developmental QB. I just don't think he has the ability to make it in the NFL as anything more than a Matt Flynn type. Poor arm, accuracy is overstated. I do like that the Bills are drafting QBs now (2 years in a row!) but don't see him as having any traits that could project him to a starter. As long as we were just looking for a backup, this is fine. C

Vallejo - haven't really done my homework on him. 6th round pick. I'll give the Bills a P.

Overall, The trading back was great. I hope we get a new GM in soon tho because I hate the players that McDermott drafts and I don't want him in charge next year. I don't see a player that has pro bowl potential from this group. White, Dawkins will be a good starter on any team. Zay would be a slot receiver on better teams but will be WR1 or 2 for Buffalo.

Overall grade: C+

I'm a big believer in drafting men of character. - Kind of like Marv Levy set the standard for when he was coach.

I like that about McDermott - and I think the future is bright for this football team.

Go Bills!

Marv went to 4 SB's because of the poor character players........Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed that became better men over time.

The best part about this draft was gaining next years 2018 pick. We need all the picks that we can get if we are ever going to get better again.

After that....

White will be a very good player especially in the zone defense. No problem with it at all. B+

Zay Jones is a dime a dozen WR that we lost a third rounder that could have been another starter in a trade up for him. His ceiling is a possession reliever, imo. We reached for "need." If Sammy goes down Zay won't be an effective #1. C-

Dawkins is not the most gifted player but this was a weak class of OLineman. Positionally, this was both a need area and a position that has increased value to find in the draft based on how much good OL go for in FA. Additionally, this helps us as our line continues to age prepare for the future. Even though we traded up, I give this one a pass. B.

Milano - hate both of these picks. Milano is too slow for a Safety and too small for a WLB. He can't get away from OL and isn't fast enough to keep up in coverage. Playing the zone, maybe he will be ok but think it was an uninspiring pick but it was the 5th round so whatever. C

Peterman - people are loving him as a developmental QB. I just don't think he has the ability to make it in the NFL as anything more than a Matt Flynn type. Poor arm, accuracy is overstated. I do like that the Bills are drafting QBs now (2 years in a row!) but don't see him as having any traits that could project him to a starter. As long as we were just looking for a backup, this is fine. C

Vallejo - haven't really done my homework on him. 6th round pick. I'll give the Bills a P.

Overall, The trading back was great. I hope we get a new GM in soon tho because I hate the players that McDermott drafts and I don't want him in charge next year. I don't see a player that has pro bowl potential from this group. White, Dawkins will be a good starter on any team. Zay would be a slot receiver on better teams but will be WR1 or 2 for Buffalo.

Is it easy or hard being this negative?

You are really off on some of your projections ...I hope.

Marv went to 4 SB's because of the poor character players........Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed that became better men over time.

Steve Tasker, Mark Kelso, Shane Conlan, Don Beebe, etc etc etc

meh. other than the OLineman, they essentially replaced with rookies the experienced NFL players they let get away in FA. big deal. treading water. can't wait for another 7-9 season 2-4 in the division. one step backwards, one forward.

BTW, does the media even acknowledge there is a franchise in WNY anymore?

Every site that covers the draft has mentioned the Bills and their draft picks. What makes you say that?

I don't know any of them personally. Met a few at Kelly black tie charity fundraisers, but don't really know them. I do know they used to drink and party, but if they lack character in other areas, I am unaware of it.

I defer to Marv as far as to whether or not they were men of character.

Edited by PolishDave

After that....

They picked him twice? McDermott doesn't know what he's doing.

Is it easy or hard being this negative?

You are really off on some of your projections ...I hope.

Not really a negative fan - I like White and Dawkins. I'm hopeful to be competitive next year and I hope to be very off on my projection of Zay, Milano, Peterman and Villejo.

However I consider myself quite the draftnik and the latter guys just don't check off a lot of boxes from the studying I have done on them on things I think we need to eventually win the Super Bowl.

After that....

just curious, how often did you scout these players?