Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

It's the debut of projected rounds for the quarterback class

We're past the halfway point of the college football regular season, and it's time to start expanding the power rankings and look into where these players might be projected to fall in the draft. I'm happy to be adding input from the likes of Rob Quinn (@RobQuinn619) from Bills Wire and the USA Today, Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) from NDT Scouting, our own Sal Capaccio, and others to the rankings in the coming weeks!

Together, we will look into where each quarterback might be drafted, as well as highlight some strengths and weaknesses of the quarterbacks as the college season winds down.

The competition gets tougher for these quarterbacks as the teams look to make their push for the major bowl games and the college football playoff. Keep tabs, as the game times and channels are constantly updated. Text "COLLEGE" to 550-550 for texts on Saturdays with reminders of when and where to watch the top quarterback prospects

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's the debut of projected rounds for the quarterback class

Rosen mid round would be funny. Even Darnold as "top 5" is funny because those guys will be #1 and #2 because if the top team doesn't need a QB, that would be the type of draft where everyone will want to trade with them. I wouldn't be surprised if both stayed in school though and that will mean Rudolph moves up to a top 10 pick and maybe even Allen (I don't like him but scouts love him). Then Lamar Jackson would be mid round and Mayfield late 1st early 2nd. It will be interesting because do teams pass up sure thing pro bowlers like Barkley or Derwin James to reach for a QB? I know the Bills like the top 2 guys but who else do they like out of this QB crop? Would they trade up for Rudolph when he has never been under center? He has the size and arm strength though. How about Allen who has all of the tools but can't even put together a good season against small schools? Or do they stay put and take Jackson or Mayfield or wait until the 2nd for Falk? I think they want to take a QB but hopefully they don't reach for one if they aren't convinced that he is a franchise QB

Edited by kdiggz

Rosen mid round would be funny. Even Darnold as "top 5" is funny because those guys will be #1 and #2 because if the top team doesn't need a QB, that would be the type of draft where everyone will want to trade with them. I wouldn't be surprised if both stayed in school though and that will mean Rudolph moves up to a top 10 pick and maybe even Allen (I don't like him but scouts love him). Then Lamar Jackson would be mid round and Mayfield late 1st early 2nd. It will be interesting because do teams pass up sure thing pro bowlers like Barkley or Derwin James to reach for a QB? I know the Bills like the top 2 guys but who else do they like out of this QB crop? Would they trade up for Rudolph when he has never been under center? He has the size and arm strength though. How about Allen who has all of the tools but can't even put together a good season against small schools? Or do they stay put and take Jackson or Mayfield or wait until the 2nd for Falk? I think they want to take a QB but hopefully they don't reach for one if they aren't convinced that he is a franchise QB

Excellent post and analysis.

The major problem I have with ranking qbs with the full draft class is that the position is so much more important than any other position. It is a mistake to over draft a positional player but it could be smart to draft a good qb prospect higher than his overall player rankings. Would anyone complain if Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson were drafted a round or two higher than they were?

Let's look at the Browns. They traded with the Eagles getting a boatload of picks while the Eagles used the Browns's pick to select Wentz. Who is better off? Of course the Eagles are because they now have their franchise qb while the Browns are still looking for an answer at that position. Last year, the Browns drafted the highest rated player in the draft. It wouldn't be surprising if he turns out to be a perennial all-pro defensive lineman. I contend they would have been better off drafting Watson, even with a minor trade down, and got Watson who I think is going to be a good qb in this league. Is he going to be an all-star? I doubt it. But he probably is going to be a franchise qb for a long time. When all is said and done securing the qb position is more impactful than acquiring a very good positional player.

Because of the surplus of draft picks the Bills are in a good position to select a very credible qb prospect. In the next draft year there are going to be many teams desiring to acquire a high end qb prospect, including legacy teams such as the Giants, the Steelers, the Chargers, Cardinals etc. Why mess around and allow a surprise team to make a draft day maneuver to acquire a qb prospect that you are interested in? It's time to be aggressive and make a decisive move to get a franchise qb. If not now---then when?

Keep on preaching, John C. Hope Beane is listening, because if you don't fix the qb issue, you don't fix the team, no matter how much you hit on other positions.

People are getting tired of my preaching. They are starting to throw rotten tomatoes and fresh feces at me as if I were a monkey in the zoo. Times have changed. The pulpit is no longer a sacred place where one can pontificate to the now tuned out members slumping in the pews. :lol:

People are getting tired of my preaching. They are starting to throw rotten tomatoes and fresh feces at me as if I were a monkey in the zoo. Times have changed. The pulpit is no longer a sacred place where one can pontificate to the now tuned out members slumping in the pews. :lol:

Don't listen to those fellas. I'll buy you an umbrella B-)

I hear you John, with my rubber suit on.

I was traveling and missd that. How did he look? For some reason I really like him, but I could be fooled by the offense and I don't claim to be an expert.

His numbers were OK, but he did not play very well. His best pass of the day was dropped, but he also threw an awful ball near the end of the game that should have been picked. Rudolph's own coach does not seem to have much confidence in him; late in the fourth quarter, with the game tied, he refused to let him put the ball in the air, and he kept opting for short FG's instead of going for the first down on fourth and short, despite the fact that OK State has a shocking kicker.

I was a big Rudolph fan earlier in the year, but my enthusiasm has cooled substantially. He may very well fall out of the first round.

Edited by mannc

I saw a couple of his early games that I really liked, but have missed the most recent stuff. I hope he gets rolling again. I want this QB class to be DEEP!

(Plus he happens to be from my wife's hometown that I just returned from.)

Mayfield is damn impressive. Is he Russell Wilson? It's like he's the #1 pick if he's 2 inches taller.

It's funny, when I hear that stuff I hold my thumb and forefinger about 2" apart, and ask myself "is that really what separates the best guys from the also-rans?" I know it's real, to some extent, but try it! It seems so silly!

It's funny, when I hear that stuff I hold my thumb and forefinger about 2" apart, and ask myself "is that really what separates the best guys from the also-rans?" I know it's real, to some extent, but try it! It seems so silly!

Some guys, very few, can get by. Mayfield looks 5'11" to me. That scares me. He's listed at 6'1" but that is the school's listing.

I worry his size and limitations make him Colt McCoy.

I worry his head makes him Johnny Eightball without the drugs.

If McBeane drafts him I will be surprised and then I will be willing to throw my hat in. Because obviously they wouldn't be worried about his 'tude. I don't think they would pull the trigger.

He sure is exciting though.

Some guys, very few, can get by. Mayfield looks 5'11" to me. That scares me. He's listed at 6'1" but that is the school's listing.

If McBeane drafts him I will be surprised and then I will be willing to throw my hat in. Because obviously they wouldn't be worried about his 'tude. I don't think they would pull the trigger.

McCoy is who Mayfield reminds me of as well

Tremendous college QB but I doubt his skills will translate to the next level

he is short. Saw him in person and he's 5'10 maybe 5'11. I am pretty sure Beane said he wants a decent height QB but damn... lot to like with that kid imo

McCoy is who Mayfield reminds me of as well

Tremendous college QB but I doubt his skills will translate to the next level

I think Mayfield has a stronger arm than McCoy. I never understood why anyone thought McCoy could succeed in the NFL. He is small AND has a rag arm. Super smart and accurate and great leader and all the intangibles. But you can't play in the NFL without a good arm. You know who is McCoy? Peterman. Nate's just a hair taller.

Getting my second glimpse of Josh Allen and it looks like The first game I saw. He has not been at all accurate from my limited viewing experience, and I'd be VERY concerned about taking him in the draft. Tools? Sure.... Player? Not so sure....

Getting my second glimpse of Josh Allen and it looks like The first game I saw. He has not been at all accurate from my limited viewing experience, and I'd be VERY concerned about taking him in the draft. Tools? Sure.... Player? Not so sure....

Allen = EJ. Wonder how his "presence" is.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

His numbers were OK, but he did not play very well. His best pass of the day was dropped, but he also threw an awful ball near the end of the game that should have been picked. Rudolph's own coach does not seem to have much confidence in him; late in the fourth quarter, with the game tied, he refused to let him put the ball in the air, and he kept opting for short FG's instead of going for the first down on fourth and short, despite the fact that OK State has a shocking kicker.

I was a big Rudolph fan earlier in the year, but my enthusiasm has cooled substantially. He may very well fall out of the first round.

I am not quite as crirical as mannc but he didn't have a great day that is for certain. He got no help. His line was down 4 starters by the end of the game, the playcalliing was bonkers and his receivers dropped balls you have to catch but I thought he looked jittery - especially in the 2nd half.

The reason I wanted to watch yesterday was because one of my nagging things with Rudolph all year has been "does he play his worst when the stakes are the highest?" I think that is a legit concern and he didn't reassure me on that yesterday sadly.

I still think he is a first round Quarterback but he might be a late first rather than a top 10 contender.

The scouts telling Peter King he should be a 1st rounder need firing.

I am not quite as crirical as mannc but he didn't have a great day that is for certain. He got no help. His line was down 4 starters by the end of the game, the playcalliing was bonkers and his receivers dropped balls you have to catch but I thought he looked jittery - especially in the 2nd half.

The reason I wanted to watch yesterday was because one of my nagging things with Rudolph all year has been "does he play his worst when the stakes are the highest?" I think that is a legit concern and he didn't reassure me on that yesterday sadly.

I still think he is a first round Quarterback but he might be a late first rather than a top 10 contender.

The scouts telling Peter King he should be a 1st rounder need firing.

Agree, agree, agree. He has been a tall, strong armed disaster. He needs to stay in school.

I think Mayfield has a stronger arm than McCoy. I never understood why anyone thought McCoy could succeed in the NFL. He is small AND has a rag arm. Super smart and accurate and great leader and all the intangibles. But you can't play in the NFL without a good arm. You know who is McCoy? Peterman. Nate's just a hair taller.

Then Why can't Mayfield be compared to Brees and Wilson?

Then Why can't Mayfield be compared to Brees and Wilson?

Brees maybe. But not if he is only 5'11 and with less arm strength than Brees. Brees is an incredible talent.

Wilson is a freak of nature and there is no one like him. I dont think anyone should be compared to him. Not that he is the best but is just different for many reasons. Although Bakers stats, halfway through, are remarkably similar to Wilsons last year

Brees maybe. But not if he is only 5'11 and with less arm strength than Brees. Brees is an incredible talent.

Wilson is a freak of nature and there is no one like him. I dont think anyone should be compared to him. Not that he is the best but is just different for many reasons. Although Bakers stats, halfway through, are remarkably similar to Wilsons last year

Brees is a first ballot HOFer. What makes Brees special is not his arm strength but his incredible accuracy. He, like Kurt Warner, had an ability to make a snapshot read and make a pinpoint throw. The lack of height has not been an issue for Brees or Wilson because they both have such a good feel for pressure and adjusting to it that it isn't a major concern.

I like Mansfield a lot. His lack of height doesn't bother me because he moves well and he quickly knows where to go with the ball. Very often inflated stats don't accurately reflect how well a qb plays. With Mayfield it does. He is both efficient and prolific. I don't worry about him falling into the Colt McCoy category because he has a strong enough arm. Mayfield doesn't have a canon of an arm but he does throw accurately and with good touch. His ball placement is superb.

I'm not wedded to anyone one qb because I believe there are at least three to five good prospects. There are no Messiah qbs in this draft. But there are a number of good prospects who can become franchise qbs and be part of a successful team. I'm also very high on Lamar Jackson not so much for what he is now but what his potential can be.

Brees is a first ballot HOFer. What makes Brees special is not his arm strength but his incredible accuracy. He, like Kurt Warner, had an ability to make a snapshot read and make a pinpoint throw. The lack of height has not been an issue for Brees or Wilson because they both have such a good feel for pressure and adjusting to it that it isn't a major concern.

I like Mansfield a lot. His lack of height doesn't bother me because he moves well and he quickly knows where to go with the ball. Very often inflated stats don't accurately reflect how well a qb plays. With Mayfield it does. He is both efficient and prolific. I don't worry about him falling into the Colt McCoy category because he has a strong enough arm. Mayfield doesn't have a canon of an arm but he does throw accurately and with good touch. His ball placement is superb.

I'm not wedded to anyone one qb because I believe there are at least three to five good prospects. There are no Messiah qbs in this draft. But there are a number of good prospects who can become franchise qbs and be part of a successful team. I'm also very high on Lamar Jackson not so much for what he is now but what his potential can be.

Everyone was telling me how great the 2018 qb class was going to be when I was repeatedly promoting Mahomes and Watson. Now, the 2018 class looks far less imposing and that is before the post-season scrutiny begins. Mayfield and Jackson both intrigue me, but neither is without question marks. I like them though. Darnold appears in a bit of a freefall. Still like Rosen. Rudolph benefits from a great wr corps. He had a bad game yesterday as far as I can tell (I don't claim to be an expert.)

Everyone was telling me how great the 2018 qb class was going to be when I was repeatedly promoting Mahomes and Watson. Now, the 2018 class looks far less imposing and that is before the post-season scrutiny begins. Mayfield and Jackson both intrigue me, but neither is without question marks. I like them though. Darnold appears in a bit of a freefall. Still like Rosen. Rudolph benefits from a great wr corps. He had a bad game yesterday as far as I can tell (I don't claim to be an expert.)

I still think this class will have a lot of QB's taken high, top 10, but how many will pan out and be good? That's another question.

I still think this class will have a lot of QB's taken high, top 10, but how many will pan out and be good? That's another question.

Yes, I agree. And so many terrible teams looking for qbs along with legacy teams with aging qbs. 49ers, Giants, Browns, Steelers, Cards, Jets should be qb buyers. Probably more, that's just off the top of my head. Colts are terrible, but unless they question Luck's long-term viability, they should be the trade target if you want to get ahead of the crowd.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.