Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm a big college football fan and he was a prominent player.

But I had no idea how great his footwork was and how his play speed would project or that he's be that special in short yardage.

NE is getting themselves a hell of a back for the next couple years.

I wasn't in favor of giving him a long term deal.....so I didn't like that excuse for not tendering him...............now they are saying they didn't want him for more than one year. :doh:

Basically losing a TD producer and physical yardage producing beast over a pocket change difference in tender amount.

Total nonsense from this organization.

i think you may be overstating this. I am not quite pleased but one might think he is replaceable with a new blocking scheme coming in.

Foresight? In MY Bills?

Ha ha, that's my issue with the whole thing. I think that they are better off with MG and could have kept him for $2.7M with the 2nd round tender. They could have just crossed RB off the list of potential needs. Not your Bills, they need to keep it interesting. I immediately went to the draft thread to hear Blokes discuss late round RBs. I didn't bother to look at them at all but I guess we should all polish up.

This nonsense that a Pats 5th round pick is better than Gillislee is nonsense. First, the pick equates to a sixth round pick once you account the compensatory picks awarded for free agency.

Who was the last player the Bills ever got in the sixth round that was any good? Answer: None. Has Whaley ever drafted anyone of relevance in the 6th round? Listenbee who can't find the field with both feet. And we think that will change now?

We let one of the best back-up RBs in the league walk to the Pats and get nothing in return. Absolutely nothing. The RBs we picked up in Free Agency are slugs.

The other logic is that it was the line not the back that accounted for the 5.7 YPC and 11 TDs. Really, John Williams was a slug in the same offense.

Why wasn't Gillislee tendered a 2nd round pick? Doug should be fired for this alone.

Also why doesn't Gillislee shorten his last name to Gill or Lee or Gillis at the least.

Foresight? In MY Bills?

Why couldn't we just re-sign him then?

Why have we beaten the Pats 3 times in 17 years if losing TD Mike is a difference maker?

We could resign him - but Gilly would be unrestricted at that point and would likely put us over the cap at what his asking price would be.

It inflates BBs ego in his own mind - I'm sure that's the difference maker for that troll.

This nonsense that a Pats 5th round pick is better than Gillislee is nonsense. First, the pick equates to a sixth round pick once you account the compensatory picks awarded for free agency.

Who was the last player the Bills ever got in the sixth round that was any good? Answer: None. Has Whaley ever drafted anyone of relevance in the 6th round?

Am I nuts, or was Gilly a FA pick up...so less than a draft pick...but Whaley can't find anyone ...okay

And I am quite sure an UDFA has never made the Bills ever..especially under Whaley's watch

Not allowed to talk about anything the Bills did right, only about how the Bills will lose a backup RB and gain a draft pick... Oh wait you don't talk about the draft pick b.c that is positive.

Gillislee is the short yardage and goaline back and excels at both roles. He also spells an aging Shady to the tune of about 100 carries and ran for 5.7 yards a carry. Shady is 29 years old with a ton of carries on him and hamstring issues. TD Mike is plays an important role with the possibility he has to step up and play a very important role. He also fits Dennison's one cut scheme to a tee.

To simply blow it off as losing a backup player and gaining a draft pick is kinda BS when all Whaley had to do was throw a second round tender on him. Now we will lose a good player or pay out more in valuable cap room to keep him than we had to.. Both options reflect poorly on Whaley who is already on borrowed time.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Either way they win. Either they get a stud RB, or they put the Bills in increasing cap trouble. Not that we have a chance at winning the AFCE either way, so I'm not sure why I care.

But I do.

Hang in there. been a long Monday for Buffalo Bills fans for years

My message to half of the posters on this thread:

Man up!

The patriots have so many here so beaten down. Overpaying for a backup rb just became the equivalent of the Herschel walker trade somehow. They're not gods.

uh oh. be sure your house circuits are properly grounded.

I think beelziibube heard you.

not cool dude. not cool...

I rest my case. he has a history of injuries. just as many that play the game do. as I had said, due to the way he runs/cuts, you can pretty much expect him to relive history...

He's missed 10 games over his 8 seasons. Show me a RB that hasn't missed at least as many.

Ha ha, that's my issue with the whole thing. I think that they are better off with MG and could have kept him for $2.7M with the 2nd round tender. They could have just crossed RB off the list of potential needs. Not your Bills, they need to keep it interesting. I immediately went to the draft thread to hear Blokes discuss late round RBs. I didn't bother to look at them at all but I guess we should all polish up.

Agreed. Do you think there's any self-assessment in OBD? Did anyone notice that what they did for Hogan didn't work?

Who was the last player the Bills ever got in the sixth round that was any good? Answer: None. Has Whaley ever drafted anyone of relevance in the 6th round? Listenbee who can't find the field with both feet. And we think that will change now?

We let one of the best back-up RBs in the league walk to the Pats and get nothing in return. Absolutely nothing. The RBs we picked up in Free Agency are slugs.

The other logic is that it was the line not the back that accounted for the 5.7 YPC and 11 TDs. Really, John Williams was a slug in the same offense.

Why wasn't Gillislee tendered a 2nd round pick? Doug should be fired for this alone.

Also why doesn't Gillislee shorten his last name to Gill or Lee or Gillis at the least.

It's a backup running back. Dime a dozen. Dry those tears for cripe's sake.

Again, the point is that they did nothing proactive to replace a contributing player. Hoping for Goodwin to do the job post-Olympics was gutsy at best, and dumb at worst.

They can ill-afford to do so again with Gillislee (assuming he's let go).

It seems that those "first off the bench role players" like RB2, wr3, OL 6, etc... will not get the second round tender here. If you like them enough to tender them to fill those roles that WILL see playing time then I think you just do it at the 2nd round tender and count on them to show up

If Gillislee is a dime a dozen backup RB, then why is the smartest Organization in football giving him 4 million dollars this year.

i think you may be overstating this. I am not quite pleased but one might think he is replaceable with a new blocking scheme coming in.

The personnel has somehow gotten worse at CB, LB, WR and now likely at RB this offseason......and improved only at safety.....and they still might not even be adequate at safety.

Very much has the feel of those Jauron years where they were coming up with some strange rationalizations for letting talent go.

It's been a nostalgic reminder of some bad Bills offseasons-past. :beer:

I'm just looking forward to the 75-page "I don't care, I'm still going to miss Mike Gillislee" thread that will get mercilessly bumped every Sunday in the fall

Over-under set at .5 for number of single game records TD Mike breaks this season.

Agreed. Do you think there's any self-assessment in OBD? Did anyone notice that what they did for Hogan didn't work?

I have no idea what is going on; this was just a fail. It isn't a fail because the Pats signed him despite what some here think. It's a fail because they had a chance to keep him for next to nothing and they dropped the ball.

I think a lot of Bills fans are confused about the meaning of the term "backup". MG isn't the backup, he's the #2 RB. There is a subtle difference.

Not really. He's the backup to the RB who gets the most carries and opportunities to affect games. He's a good player, but a backup is simply a player who does not start. And he does not start.

What didn't work? There was no way they were going to put a 2nd round tender on a guy who in his 4 seasons in Buffalo averaged 22 catches for 240 yards and 1-1/2 TD's, and whose best season was 41 catches for 426 yards and 4 TD's. Likewise they weren't going to match a contract paying him $4M/year.

2015 Karlos Williams had 5.6 yards per carry behind Shady

2016 Mike Gillislee had 5.7 yards per carry behind Shady

How do we expect to miss the playoffs for the 18th year without a 5 yd per carry backup? They're clearly vital to the success of this team and extremely rare! Well, unless you ignore the 2015 and 2016 Bills who did it with completely different players both obtained cheaply through different means by Doug Whaley.

Also, if the Pats 5th is really their 6th, why the hell would we want that? What the hell have the Pats ever done with thier 6th round pick? Waste...

I have no idea what is going on; this was just a fail. It isn't a fail because the Pats signed him despite what some here think. It's a fail because they had a chance to keep him for next to nothing and they dropped the ball.

Whaley out to prove his drafted players are good against all odds. Clearing the way for JWill to bore us with 3.5 YPC.

The personnel has somehow gotten worse at CB, LB, WR and now likely at RB this offseason......and improved only at safety.....and they still might not even be adequate at safety.

Very much has the feel of those Jauron years where they were coming up with some strange rationalizations for letting talent go.

It's been a nostalgic reminder of some bad Bills offseasons-past. :beer:

Yea, I'm not feeling great about this year. It has the feeling of the type of season that really needs us to get all the bounces, most of the 50-50 calls, and have a few key guys play above their normal level to be a playoff contender.

All possible, and we see teams get lucky but I'm not counting on it either

What didn't work? There was no way they were going to put a 2nd round tender on a guy who in his 4 seasons in Buffalo averaged 22 catches for 240 yards and 1-1/2 TD's, and whose best season was 41 catches for 426 yards and 4 TD's. Likewise they weren't going to match a contract paying him $4M/year.

Signing both players with the higher tender was clearly the smarter choice.

Edited by FireChan

I think a lot of Bills fans are confused about the meaning of the term "backup". MG isn't the backup, he's the #2 RB. There is a subtle difference.

Yeah yoyo was the one banging that he's just a "backup" drum over and over.

I'll be the first to say that the run game was propped up heavily by Tyrod and the system........but MG is a legitimately very good back.

If Gillislee is a dime a dozen backup RB, then why is the smartest Organization in football giving him 4 million dollars this year.

Look at their draft history and FA signings, they're no better than any other team. The have the GOAT QB, end of story. Everything else if gravy.