why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

Right on, I agree with this 100%I agree, in fact he could be worth even less then what we used to get him now

I agree

What did you see that makes you agree? Gut feeling? Unless you're there every day, how can you have any idea?

I'll trust the staff, then judge them on how it turns out.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale progressed so slowly as opposed to his recent contemporaries that it almost pulls up a red flag about his status as a future QB in the NFL.

What is the basis for this statement? The one quarter of football he played in the game that Buffalo was trying to lose? Are you serious? And who are these "recent contemporaries" who have progressed faster than Cardale has? Edited by mannc

What is the basis for this statement? The one quarter of football he played in the game that Buffalo was trying to lose? Are you serious? And who are these "recent contemporaries" who have progressed faster than Cardale has?

I'm not swearing Cardale is headed for the HOF, but some people have made their minds up based on zero information.

I'm not swearing Cardale is headed for the HOF, but some people have made their minds up based on zero information.

While ignoring all the information that suggests he's worth trying to develop.

While ignoring all the information that suggests he's worth trying to develop.

It's more like your ignoring all the information out that he isn't going to be any better then he is. He is a huge long shot to even become a backup QB in this league. Can a mircle happen? Sure but odds are slim to none so OBD has to find another kid to take his spot and to fight it out for the spot on this NFL team in the most important position in football. If it don't click for him this TC he should be released Edited by xRUSHx

It's more like your ignoring all the information out that he isn't going to be any better then he is. He is a huge long shot to even become a backup QB in this league.

What information is that? Enlighten me. That he was benched by Urban Meyer (aka, the Quarterback Wisperer), when he was in college?

It's more like your ignoring all the information out that he isn't going to be any better then he is. He is a huge long shot to even become a backup QB in this league. Can a mircle happen? Sure but odds are slim so OBD has to find another kid to take his spot, fight it out.

I'll ignore the grammar, but exactly what is that information you are speaking of?

Or....if I'm fair, of which you are speaking? :)

I'll ignore the grammar, but exactly what is that information you are speaking of?

Or....if I'm fair, of which you are speaking? :)

Off the top of my head Ill say

his accuracy,

doesn't read defenses very well

makes bad decisions and isn't a hard worker. Top off losing his job in college. Also heard they had to teach him how to even hold the ball correctly last year.

Footwork, mechanics, he's got everything going against him. Only plus is he has a strong arm.

Need dedication to the sport to be good at it and when other stuff blends in with it, it pushes fail even quicker. It would take a mircle to even become a backup in my opinion, then again this is the Bills.

Edited by xRUSHx

his accuracy,

makes bad decisions and isn't a hard worker. Top off losing his job in college. Also heard they had to teach him how to even hold the ball correctly last year.

Need dedication to the sport to be good at it and when other stuff blends in with it it pushes fail even quicker. It would take a mircle to even become a backup in my opinion, then again this is the Bills.

So, where are the facts in there? What inside knowledge do you have?

I'm not saying he is the answer, but I won't swear he's not based on zero information. That would be the definition of ignorance.

So, where are the facts in there? What inside knowledge do you have?

I'm not saying he is the answer, but I won't swear he's not based on zero information. That would be the definition of ignorance.

Zero information?

Plenty of info out on him, all you have to do is look. What I stated was in my opinion. Like I said a mircle could happen but don't hold you breathe is all In saying. What you highlighted said in my opinion.

Edited by xRUSHx

Zero information?

Plenty of info out on him, all you have to do is look. What I stated was in my opinion. Like I said a mircle could happen but don't hold you breathe is all In saying. What you highlighted said in my opinion.

Every opinion is fine. Stating there is "info" on him is just inaccurate. He threw a few balls in the 4th quarter week 17 in a meaningless game. Do you have more info? Again, I'm not on the bus, but saying he's a bust is baseless (unless you are an insider). Edited by Augie

his accuracy,

Footwork, mechanics, he's got everything going against him. Only plus is he has a strong arm.

Need dedication to the sport to be good at it and when other stuff blends in with it, it pushes fail even quicker. It would take a mircle to even become a backup in my opinion, then again this is the Bills.

Really.

"Off the top of your head?"

Again, is there some inside info you are privy to? Or are you basing your opinion off the quarter of meaningless football vs. the Jets and maybe that article from over a year ago that cd1 posted as "proof" of Jones having no future potential?

Off the top of your head...

The certainty with which many of the posters in this thread have stated their opinions off the top of their heads, while offering no evidence whatsoever is bizarre.

Off the top of your head has no credibility.

Edited by Rocky Landing

For those who seem to have information about Cardale that most don't, here's an update on BuffaloBills.com:

Bills Today: Jones confident after offseason improvement

Posted Apr 14, 2017

Anthony Sambrotto Contributing Correspondent Bills on Facebook Bills on Twitter

In this edition of Bills Today, Cardale Jones explains how work in the offseason has improved his confidence, journeyman QB Josh Woodrum is eager to capitalize on his opportunity in Buffalo and Bills Draft sleepers are identified.

1. Jones confident after offseason improvement

With a battle for Buffalo’s backup quarterback position looming, Cardale Jonesicon-article-link.gif is confident that he can fill the role after improving his game in the offseason

Jones, drafted by the Bills in the fourth round of the 2016 Draft, joined the John Murphy Show this week to talk about the experience already under his belt, the work he has put in on and off the field this offseason.

The 24-year-old said that he worked with a personal quarterback coach throughout the winter, working on Jones’ ability to throw in less than ideal situations.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

For those who seem to have information about Cardale that most don't, here's an update on BuffaloBills.com:

Bills Today: Jones confident after offseason improvement

Posted Apr 14, 2017

Anthony Sambrotto Contributing Correspondent Bills on Facebook Bills on Twitter

In this edition of Bills Today, Cardale Jones explains how work in the offseason has improved his confidence, journeyman QB Josh Woodrum is eager to capitalize on his opportunity in Buffalo and Bills Draft sleepers are identified.

1. Jones confident after offseason improvement

With a battle for Buffalo’s backup quarterback position looming, Cardale Jonesicon-article-link.gif is confident that he can fill the role after improving his game in the offseason

Jones, drafted by the Bills in the fourth round of the 2016 Draft, joined the John Murphy Show this week to talk about the experience already under his belt, the work he has put in on and off the field this offseason.

The 24-year-old said that he worked with a personal quarterback coach throughout the winter, working on Jones’ ability to throw in less than ideal situations.

So, what you're saying is: bust?

It's more like your ignoring all the information out that he isn't going to be any better then he is. He is a huge long shot to even become a backup QB in this league. Can a mircle happen? Sure but odds are slim to none so OBD has to find another kid to take his spot and to fight it out for the spot on this NFL team in the most important position in football. If it don't click for him this TC he should be released

I also would like to read this great insight of information that a rookie qb isnt going to improve when his physical talents are so high

I will wait

What is the basis for this statement? The one quarter of football he played in the game that Buffalo was trying to lose? Are you serious? And who are these "recent contemporaries" who have progressed faster than Cardale has?

Zak

Russell

Kirk

Cody

Connor

Bryce

And more but my fingers are tiring from typing. All QBs taken in later rounds who were able to at least dress for their teams games and move ahead of being more than 3rd string long shot that Jones has.

Zak

Russell

Kirk

Cody

Connor

Bryce

And more but my fingers are tiring from typing. All QBs taken in later rounds who were able to at least dress for their teams games and move ahead of being more than 3rd string long shot that Jones has.

So, you know all these guys well enough to refer to them by their first names?

So, what you're saying is: bust?

No, I don't think they should start working on his HOF bust just yet.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

One whole half of professional football in a game the team sort of packed it in. Yeah, he's a bust.

Unless we have a QB that has a season QBR of 158.3, we go 16-0 and win each game with the QB throwing for 350 yds, 4 TDs, no picks and runs for another TD, Bills fans are fast to cut a QB loose. Especially since Fitz, with the exception of Orton. Bills fans gave Fitz more time than they gave Manuel, Taylor, or Jones. I wonder why. Maybe that melanin condition the three have is the underlying factor.

Obviously you didnt read my the comment that drew my response. And if you did you still didnt comprehend my post judging by a you think I was talking about Cardale and be you think I called him a bust.

What information is that? Enlighten me. That he was benched by Urban Meyer (aka, the Quarterback Wisperer), when he was in college?

Being QB for a national championship team, maybe?

Yes there's info that points towards him not succeeding. There's also info that indicates the opposite.

We just don't know either way. So we should draft someone if there's a guy we like and if Cardale shows progress, keep him too.

Edited by Thurman#1

Tyrod being a decent starting QB and locked in for the next couple of seasons affords the Bills a semi-luxery of having some time to develop a QB behind a decent starter. I don't think there is a QB worth taking at pick 10 but I wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on Chad Kelly in the late rounds. The Team can hold 2 project QB's on the roster and try and hit lightening in a bottle on one of them and see who after a couple of years is worth it.

i'm of the group that the idea of jones as the only developmental guy makes me uneasy. i'm not claiming to know the first thing about qb developement, but i'm going to be pretty surprised if cj turns into a starter.

Being QB for a national championship team, maybe?

Yes there's info that points towards him not succeeding. There's also info that indicates the opposite.

We just don't know either way. So we should draft someone if there's a guy we like and if Cardale shows progress, keep him too.

NCAA championship QBs run the option mostly for the last 40 years, they rarely drop back and wait in the pocket as basically 98% of successful NFL QBs do as a rule...

How many times before this sinks in about QBs in college running the option or wishbone or any tinker-toy scheme....

Cardale progressed so slowly as opposed to his recent contemporaries that it almost pulls up a red flag about his status as a future QB in the NFL.

So much so that I look at the bills as really only having 1 viable QB on the roster and that guy has a weak contract with limited support from management.

Curious where you read this. Give a guy a link?

One whole half of professional football in a game the team sort of packed it in. Yeah, he's a bust.

Unless we have a QB that has a season QBR of 158.3, we go 16-0 and win each game with the QB throwing for 350 yds, 4 TDs, no picks and runs for another TD, Bills fans are fast to cut a QB loose. Especially since Fitz, with the exception of Orton. Bills fans gave Fitz more time than they gave Manuel, Taylor, or Jones. I wonder why. Maybe that melanin condition the three have is the underlying factor.

The Bills just gave EJ Manuel 4 years to develop into something... How many more years would you like to give him? Taylor and Jones are still on the roster last I looked, so your "melanin" argument doesn't hold water... Also, if I am not mistaken, two of the four QB's talked about as possible draft options (Watson and Kizer) share that same "melanin" condition you spoke of...

As I recall Manuel lost his job to Orton when our ex-coach (Marrone) basically demanded that Whaley go out and get him somebody "competent" to play the position... Apparently that wasn't EJ... And if the Bills do go out and draft one of these kids in the 1st round it will be further confirmation that Cardale Jones is not viewed by management as a viable option at QB either... Having a strong arm is no indicator of future success. It's what's inside the QB's head that matters, his dedication to becoming one of the best, and other intangibles... OH, BTW did you know that QB's aren't the only 1st round draft picks that BUST??? Go back to 2013 and see how many other players are still starting for their respective teams...

The Bills just gave EJ Manuel 4 years to develop into something... How many more years would you like to give him? Taylor and Jones are still on the roster last I looked, so your "melanin" argument doesn't hold water... Also, if I am not mistaken, two of the four QB's talked about as possible draft options (Watson and Kizer) share that same "melanin" condition you spoke of...

As I recall Manuel lost his job to Orton when our ex-coach (Marrone) basically demanded that Whaley go out and get him somebody "competent" to play the position... Apparently that wasn't EJ... And if the Bills do go out and draft one of these kids in the 1st round it will be further confirmation that Cardale Jones is not viewed by management as a viable option at QB either... Having a strong arm is no indicator of future success. It's what's inside the QB's head that matters, his dedication to becoming one of the best, and other intangibles... OH, BTW did you know that QB's aren't the only 1st round draft picks that BUST??? Go back to 2013 and see how many other players are still starting for their respective teams...

Sarcasm is lost on you. Don't worry. If another "melanin conditioned" QB is brought in and isn't Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, or Jim Kelly after his first snap, other Bills fans here will demand them be cut instantly too.

Sarcasm is lost on you. Don't worry. If another "melanin conditioned" QB is brought in and isn't Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, or Jim Kelly after his first snap, other Bills fans here will demand them be cut instantly too.

Try answering the question - How many more years do you think EJ was entitled to? Four years not enough? Cmon... Stop blaming the fans and blame EJ himself. He is the one who failed. Fans don't care what color the QB is. He just has to win. BTW - Kelly wasn't all that hot his 1st 2 years here either. And that was after his 2 yrs spent in the USFL. But you could see his growth over time. Fans never saw that from EJ. Neither did his 2 ex-HCs... I don't see him unseating Derek Carr anytime soon either...

You make a great point. We shouldn't bring in another QB (especially with an early round pick) who's not a demonstrably better prospect than Cardale. Cardale has not had an opportunity yet to show whether or not he can be a starting QB in the NFL. In the quick glimpses we've seen, he's flashed both his enormous potential and his inexperience. He and Trubisky, for example, have started about the same number of college games, with Trubisky going 6-5 against Division 1 opponents. I'm not saying Trubisky will or will not be a better NFL player than Jones, but I wouldn't use our first pick on him to find out. I would much rather see us take a QB in the later rounds and throw him into a competition with Jones and Yates for the backup job. At some point, we need to see if CJ can play. He's got incredible God-given tools and he has succeeded on the biggest stage there is. He at least deserves a shot and he won't get one if we take a QB in the first round.

My problem with this is: If Cardale was able to transition to the NFL, he would have already got his shot. Right now he hasn't progressed fast enough to give the Bills a confidence that he will be their future QB. The Bills can't wait and watch but pick another QB and continue the competition.