why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

He's ahem... might be worse than EJ

I find physical talents to be so overrated when it comes to QBs. We see guys come and go every year with all the physical tools you could ever want but don't have the accuracy or decision making to consistently succeed.

Agree. Physical tools and "Measurables" are nice and all, and it's great if somehow you can find that QB with all the right measurables/physical tools that's also a fantastic QB, but...

I'll take a little bit shorter, less athletic QB with smaller hands who is smart, accurate and shows some ability to diagnose defensive coverages, go through his progressions + find his open receivers (or throw them open) over a tall, freakishly athletic, physically gifted, inaccurate, 1 read (and then run) QB any day!

It seems like maybe sometimes scouts/GMs/coaches get too caught up in some stupid "QB draft rules" guideline and overlook some good QB prospects because he doesn't check certain boxes.

But maybe they had the wrong boxes on the checklist in the first place...? lol.

Agree. Physical tools and "Measurables" are nice and all, and it's great if somehow you can find that QB with all the right measurables/physical tools that's also a fantastic QB, but...

I'll take a little bit shorter, less athletic QB with smaller hands who is smart, accurate and shows some ability to diagnose defensive coverages, go through his progressions + find his open receivers (or throw them open) over a tall, freakishly athletic, physically gifted, inaccurate, 1 read (and then run) QB any day!

It seems like maybe sometimes scouts/GMs/coaches get too caught up in some stupid "QB draft rules" guideline and overlook some good QB prospects because he doesn't check certain boxes.

WHOA! Enough of the silly talk! You mean you'd settle for Joe Montana? Drew Brees? Do you know how slow Brady is? :)

A great QB needs it between the ears, first and foremost. But for some that can develop later, so you pick some guys with the tools.....and pray.

The Yates signing was smart as heck, or obvious.

What does it mean it Yates is second man up? Does that keep Cardale from running with the ones for another year?

and is that enough to say Jones aint gonna cut it? Or does it suggest they want Yates to be teaching the system this season

this should be a mantra for us.

they need 4 viable QBs in camp in case one gets hurt, I expect they add a rookie. Having a vet backup who isn't trying to fight fight for the starting job, but who knows the offense, is critical.

His mechanics and accuracy aren't very good, granted you can work on those things to a degree but it's not as teachable as many scouts use to think. Hopefully they can give him 2 more years to working within the system and work on the basics of accuracy and mechanics.

His OC in 2015 was an OL coach trying to drive a Ferrari through a corn field. Had Tom Herman not left for an HC job after the natty things would have been a bit different for Cardale in 2015. Edited by YoloinOhio

The knock I've read about him in addition to his accuracy is that he doesn't read defenses very well, makes bad decisions and isn't the hardest worker. I hope the Bills continue to draft QB's until they get it right. Let Jones earn the back-up role.

'Cuz maybe you think they have higher ceiling, or you're discouraged about Cardale's development?

One of the things I always hated was the Bills "Highlander" QB philosophy where they would acquire a guy and not draft anyone else until guy1 had several years to develop. You see the remnants of this philosophy in Fitz, which resulted in the "must draft QB" that selected EJ.

Amen. The classic expression of this philosophy was the evaluation of Blaine Gabbert in 2011: "he looks like you want your QB to look"

Too bad he never played like it. I think similar of EJ.

Maybe because they realize Cardale sucks?

He usually throws in warmups at the Spring Game. I'm here so we will see how he looks. For the grumpy ones I know it means nothing.

Edit: easily won halftime throwing contest. Flicked it 66 yards flat footed

Edited by YoloinOhio

Mahomes knows how to look off his first option unlike Kizer

Kizer's footwork and pocket presence are miles ahead of Mahomes'. Not sure how your point indicates Mahomes is quite polished as was stated earlier.

Edited by Bangarang