why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

I'm not sure what people say CJ has a huge ceiling. But I agree with you generally.

I think we should draft a QB every other year until we find a franchise QB.

I think drafting QBs every year as some advocate is too much for a couple reasons:

(1) It's costly - draft picks are precious. We only have so many and there are other needs on the roster.

(2) We need to spend some time developing the ones we've already drafted - like Cardale.

In my mind, this is an off (non-QB) year. We drafted CJ last year and already have one raw talent to work with as you pointed out. And most scouts seem to think this is a bad year for QBs.

But if our scouts disagree with the prevailing wisdom and truly believe in one of these guys, then I'm all for drafting a QB this year.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's real sad when other teams find a franchise worthy QB quicker then the Bills. Dallas had a franchise QB and boom Dak is drafted to replace him. Carolina needed a franchise QB and boom Cam is drafted. Sure teams like the Jests have had problems finding a better QB but they know they have a real problem and are addressing it which in turn will have them find one quicker then we will with filling the barn with talent at QB to battle it out for the job. Using other teams backups as the starter, aka Fitz proved they couldn't win it with one either. Using other teams backups to build around is just wishing for that one mircle season, rarely ever happens. Houston is a good example of using other teams QBs but can't find success regardless of who they put around them.

Anyone want to bet that NE goes from Brady to another great while we still are stuck using other teams backups as our starter? A better GM will address the problem not try to prop up not good enough in this QB driven league.

Cardale has physical tools to work with that most QBs don't have. He should be groomed this season imo. One of those reasons is that the talent in rds 1-3 in this years draft can yield tremendous returns. Give him his snaps. If tyrod gets hurt, let's throw him into the fire and see what he has. worst case scenario, we find out we have to replace him. If that's the case, we'll be in the hunt for a top pick next year and can use our top pick on a QB. I believe we can land 3 quality starters, which this team desperately needs in rd 1-3 this year. If we do draft a QB this year, I hope it's rd 1 and we get the #1 QB in our board. It's the only way drafting a QB makes any sense this year imo, unless its rd 5-7. While I'm not a big fan of the kid, my choice of QBs would be Chad Kelly in rd 5-7. He has 1st potential, but udfa mental aptitude. I love his competitiveness and could be a steal if he can flip the switch.

Wasn't Cardale thought to be a potential top pick after the NCG? We then got more info on him the next season and he dropped to round 4. He has what 9 games started in college, one meaningless NFL game and David Lee F--ing him up for a year. People who think Trubisky has been fully vetted should realize he has 13 games and most NFL scouts don't see him as a franchise guy right now. So go ahead and grab him at the 10the spot. To me he is a second or third rounder after you've drafted a good football player in the first round. Too much risk with any of these guys at 10. Especially with the number of elite players in this draft.

Stop making people afraid to post!!

Do you not see another CJ thread? What he asked was not the problem, the problem is having two threads to talk about one QB, just like multiple Tyrod threads.

Based on his college performance, pre-season performance, and week 17 performance. He has horrendous accuracy. Watch his so-called "great" games at OSU. WRs making tremendous plays on underthrown balls all over the place. He never hits anyone in stride. He underthrows guys open by 5 yards so much that the WR has to make a great catch over the DB who was able to catch up to them. The only reason they had any success was because teams were stacking the box vs Elliot and WRs made tremendous plays. There is a reason he lost his starting job.

Mark80 nailed it. The guy was a terrible panic pick after Presscott got picked. He was a mediocre college player with no hope of success. Kudos to the Bills for apparently recognizing this early on.

If you honestly think that Cardale Jones is equal to a Patrick Mahomes or Mitchell Trubisky as a prospect then you are welcome to continue with that opinion.

That would be like saying don't draft OJ Howard because we have Logan Thomas on the practice squad.

+++100!

I really don't understand why people assume Cardale is any good at all. Please remember he lost his starting job on his college team - a starting role he only got as a third-stringer after two injuries ahead of him.

I'm not trying to hate on him - he has good basic physical tools, and had a brief run of tremendous success at OSU - but he was a 4th round pick for a reason.

Edited by BobChalmers

+++100!

I really don't understand why people assume Cardale is any good at all. Please remember he lost his starting job on his college team - a starting role he only got as a third-stringer after two injuries ahead of him.

I'm not trying to hate on him - he has good basic physical tools, and had a brief run of tremendous success at OSU - but he was a 4th round pick for a reason.

Didn't he lose it because Urban Meyer's system was not a good fit for him? Thats what my understanding has been.

Do you really believe that if the organization was high on Cardale's prospects they would be putting so much effort and resources in scouting this year's qb prospects? The organization has seen him up close on the practice field and in the classroom for a year. At this point they know him fairly well as a player and person. Based on how they seem to be aggressively assessing qb prospects it appears that they are not going to solely count on him. That is not to say they are giving up on him but they are not placing their bets on him. That to me seems like a prudent approach to take.

I believe he was drafted to be a project. That's 2 or 3 years of development.

Mark80 nailed it. The guy was a terrible panic pick after Presscott got picked. He was a mediocre college player with no hope of success. Kudos to the Bills for apparently recognizing this early on.

I seem to recall people here very happy with the pick when it was made.

odds are much greater that Cardale fails to be a success in the NFL.. I am not impressed with what I saw, but he deserves a 2nd season to see where he is at. BUT why would any team continue to put their eggs in too few baskets. We need 3 QBs and 2 of them always fighting to to stick around and a starter fighting to not get replaced. If after 2 years a QB does not show the progress demanded then that player should be released and replaced year 3. This process should never ever end...

In regard to Taylor.. hes not prototypical and has flaws but he was still by far the best option we had and that's sad cause other teams seem to be much better at finding QB's

Most important position in football.... and a constant rotation of QB's drafted high and/or low should be moving through.. every year a new potential franchise QB should be rotated in and given 2 years to prove something.

IMO until we fill that franchise QB hole it don't matter what other holes we have. And I don't condone over reaching either, but we need to keep QB's moving through till we hit pay dirt

Edited by ddaryl