Andre Holmes claims he isn't signed, Reporters disagree

FireChan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clueless on how this entire process works. Never ceases to amaze me on here, thank you.

He's correct that signing UFAs at this point in the process absolutely does lower your chances of comp picks, it really does.

We won't know how the count turns out till a few months pass, but every compensatory FA raises the count that they will subtract from however many compensatory FAs we lose. So this could, for example, lower our FA haul from three to two, or from one to zero, depending on how the counts turn out.

Edited by Thurman#1

How are the Bills loosing something they didn't have to begin with. It's sad, I come on here to get news on the Bills and I end up seeing garbag replies like this.

People seem to use this "how can you lose something you never had" as an argument as if it made sense. It doesn't.

Losing something is being deprived of the thing or the use of the thing. If you were going to have the use of a thing and now you don't, you've lost something. You've lost a chance, in the future or present.

Another meaning is "to fail to use, or to let slip by," as in wasting a chance.

Doing something which deprives you of a comp pick is absolutely choosing to lose a comp pick you might otherwise have gotten.

Sorry to get off-track. Bizarre situation. They ought to get something in return from the league, but likely the most they would get is an apology.

Edited by Thurman#1

Really hope we can make this happen. He's not a stud by any means but I think he'd be a not to shabby 3rd and wouldn't be a bad 2nd if someone was to get hurt. We could do better obviously, but that's a decent price

So what if the NFLPA leaked the offer by mistake or otherwise? The problem isn't the NFLPA. The problem is that Holmes hasn't agreed to the contract. Maybe he wants more money, and was never planning on agreeing to 3 yrs 4.5 million. If the Bills want him bad enuf, they will up the ante to a number that he can't refuse. We have plenty of money under the salary cap. We need a tall receiver. Holmes has some game. So lets get it done Dougie.

Very odd how much we paid for guys like Dimarco and Houshka. Ones a good FB. But a FB nonetheless. And one is a kicker that is probably better then Carpenter, but not a whole lot better (at least in terms of kicking extra points). And we still have lots of holes including WR, CB, and RT. We seem to overpay for positions that are not that important, by most teams standards. But at positions of greater importance and need, we tend to lose out on players more often then not.

We seem to do things backwards from a lot of teams. We are not always wrong. And the other teams are not always right. However, not making the playoffs for 17 years is a bad look.

Really hope we can make this happen. He's not a stud by any means but I think he'd be a not to shabby 3rd and wouldn't be a bad 2nd if someone was to get hurt. We could do better obviously, but that's a decent price

Agree i want him. He's better than Hunter and Glass for sure

He's correct that signing UFAs at this point in the process absolutely does lower your chances of comp picks, it really does.

Actually that's not true, at all. No one actually knows which players count and which don't. Look no further than the 2016 comp picks Buffalo recieved. The official NFL comms release says for the purpose of comp picks in 2015 the Bills lost these players:

Searcy

Pears

Spiller

Lee Smith

The Bills gained via FA:

Tyrod Taylor

As I'm sure you know, Taylor wasn't the only FA they signed. They also signed Felton, Harvin, Carrington, Connor and Simms. All UFAs. Technically they signed Incognito as well and he was an UFA too but I'm sure him being out of the NFL can't count as a loss against a team.

And yet, the Bills got 2 comp picks.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

See the two previous ****ing posts where I said it was sarcasm. How about read through the whole thread before making garbage responses. ;)

How about not making garbage posts to start? ;)

Actually that's not true, at all. No one actually knows which players count and which don't. Look no further than the 2016 comp picks Buffalo recieved. The official NFL comms release says for the purpose of comp picks in 2015 the Bills lost these players:

Searcy

Pears

Spiller

Lee Smith

The Bills gained via FA:

Tyrod Taylor

As I'm sure you know, Taylor wasn't the only FA they signed. They also signed Felton, Harvin, Carrington, Connor and Simms. All UFAs. Technically they signed Incognito as well and he was an UFA too but I'm sure him being out of the NFL can't count as a loss against a team.

And yet, the Bills got 2 comp picks.

Pretty sure is based off money. If the players you lost gets paid more hence Gilmore and Woods then we get more comp picks in return as long as we dont spend on high tier free agents

Pretty sure is based off money. If the players you lost gets paid more hence Gilmore and Woods then we get more comp picks in return as long as we dont spend on high tier free agents

It's based off a couple of things. Money, playing time, etc. No one knows the exact formula. Ozzie Newsom won't say how the Ravens think it's forumlated.

Point is, no one knows exactly. Is it exactly numbers lost and gained. I'm not sure, if it is why weren't Felton and Harvin listed as players gained by the Bills. Both received nice contracts from the Bills in '15.

Anyways, don't mean to sidetrack the thread but comp picks seem to be the '17 buzz word and topic.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It's based off a couple of things. Money, playing time, etc. No one knows the exact formula. Ozzie Newsom won't say how the Ravens think it's forumlated.

Point is, no one knows exactly. Is it exactly numbers lost and gained. I'm not sure, if it is why weren't Felton and Harvin listed as players gained by the Bills. Both received nice contracts from the Bills in '15.

Anyways, don't mean to sidetrack the thread but comp picks seem to be the '17 buzz word and topic.

I'm sure the Patriots had someone slip the formula to them.

Seems to me that a player should definitively know whether or not he used a pen to scribble his name on a paper that gave him millions of dollars in exchange for spending a given amount of time with an NFL franchise. It should be clear to a player whether or not they did this occur either way.

Only in Buffalo.

Edited by dgrochester55