Ground and Pound 2.0

Coach55

It looks like the Bills might be taking the ground and pound to a whole new level. With the signings of Tolbert and DeMarco, that gives us two fullbacks along with Gillislee (tendered) and McCoy at tailback. With the resigning of Taylor and the likelihood of Woods walking, it looks like we are taking smash mouth to a whole new level. With all of this talent in the backfield, I envision them carrying only 4 possibly 5 receivers (Watkins, Listenbee, Hunter and Kamar Aiken?). This could be the year where the Bills run the veer or triple option, loading the backfield with 3 backs, especially since DeMarco can play H-back. Going to be interesting folks! Let's hope McDermott is a better defensive coach than Rex so ground and pound plus average or better defense breaks the Flutie curse.

We were the only team to have more rush TD's than pass last season. That also looks like this will be the case again next season.

In a passing league...I'm not confident that this is the way to go whatsoever. Running the football becomes practically obsolete when games are close late. It's going to come down to throwing the football in at least a few games next season, and it appears as though we will struggle mightily again in that regard.

The offensive philosophy now seems to be centered around the run because we don't have a very good passer, and this will most likely be a fatal flaw again next season.

Ground and pound baby!

Recipe for success.

The Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, and the rest of the elite teams structure it that way. It's a running back league!

Hello 1970!!

Atta boy Doug Whaley. Give him an extension ASAP Pegs!

They have franchise QBs. We have a running, sidline and occasional deep ball thrower

Ground and pound baby!

Recipe for success.

The Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, and the rest of the elite teams structure it that way. It's a running back league!

Hello 1970!!

Atta boy Doug Whaley. Give him an extension ASAP Pegs!

lol tell me about it man

Is ground and pound the best description of what it's going to look like? Dennison's a WC guy, and I'm thinking Taylor should be able to run a modified WC offense if he cleans up the timing and decision making..Shady will benefit (although I doubt he'll be any more productive than last year)...additionally I'm assuming the o-line will improve. He's got experience there as well.

I'm interested to see what they end up doing with the TE situation. It was underutilized badly. And are we really planning on rostering 2 FBs?

We were the only team to have more rush TD's than pass last season. That also looks like this will be the case again next season.

In a passing league...I'm not confident that this is the way to go whatsoever. Running the football becomes practically obsolete when games are close late. It's going to come down to throwing the football in at least a few games next season, and it appears as though we will struggle mightily again in that regard.

The offensive philosophy now seems to be centered around the run because we don't have a very good passer, and this will most likely be a fatal flaw again next season.

The Crusher crusade strikes again!

Im not sure I get the reference to Woods walking benefiting the run game. His blocking may be one of his most valuable skill sets.

I agree with you, but he was by far our #2 receiver. Letting him walk in exchange for big names in the backfield implies that we are going to come out in 1 receiver sets often (either double tight or 3 backs). Unless they go out and get a compliment to Watkins, the best skill players will be Watkins, Clay, McCoy, Gillislee and Tolbert/DeMarco. If Dennison has a clue, he will get 5 of those 6 players on the field as often as possible.

I could see us keeping 5 and stashing a couple on the PS, especially if we sign Bennett and play a lot of 2 TE sets

Gotta figure Watkins and Powell (who deserves more credit than he gets) are near locks for the roster, and Listenbee is very likely to make the squad. That's 3. Add an Aiken and/or Britt type guy and draft another. That's 5. Good chance Hunter comes back IMHO for 6.

Either way, do not see Bills in a position to shill out the type of $ Bennett will garner on the market. I see us as set with Clay, O'Leary, Gragg, and Thomas.

Are the same people that think this is an all pass league the same ones that killed the Falcons for not running the ball in the second half?

I'm all for balance and personnel. Right now with McCoy and Tyrod a road-grader FB makes sense to me, we are more suited to run so lets fortify that while acknowledging that the passing game needs work.

A 16 game season from Sammy would help the passing game.

As for Tyrod, it is what it is, there are many other threads in which to vent. IMO we can be competitive with him, but I get the concerns that the best is not yet to come.

Im not sure I get the reference to Woods walking benefiting the run game. His blocking may be one of his most valuable skill sets.

Woods is an excellent blocker, and a good #2 receiver, I do not want him to leave.

Buffalo Bills PR‏ @BuffaloBillsPR

.@TyrodTaylor ranks as the @buffalobills all-time passer rating leader with a 94.2 rating since joining the Bills.

Ok

Buffalo Bills PR‏ @BuffaloBillsPR

.@TyrodTaylor ranks as the @buffalobills all-time passer rating leader with a 94.2 rating since joining the Bills.

Ok

Tyrod is very efficient. If we select Corey Davis, and if we can stay healthy- this offense could be one of the leagues best. And Tyrod could have a huge year

Tolbert should give us a great 3rd and short back. Plus he's a complete change of pace from McKoy.

The FB is a good pass catcher out of the backfield which is helpful.

I'm surprise that nobody's noticed that we have NOT released Jerome Felton. Is this really what we're doing... 3 veteran FBs?? It seems like Felton should be the odd man out, I'm not sure why they're keeping him on the roster?

I'm surprise that nobody's noticed that we have NOT released Jerome Felton. Is this really what we're doing... 3 veteran FBs?? It seems like Felton should be the odd man out, I'm not sure why they're keeping him on the roster?

I believe he becomes a FA today .....and obviously won't be signed here

how's 5000 passing yards working out for the Saints the last 3 years?

5000 passing usually doesn't work. But in defense of my man Drew B ... Lets ask the worst defense in the league for the last few years what the issue is.

On the other hand the fewest passes in the NFL doesn't work either. As I stated yesterday you need a good balance or the ability to either pass or run as the opponents defense dictates.

Our fatal flaws were sub-par defense and an awful kicking game, (kickoffs, fg's and schmidt's 29th ranked punting hurt us at every turn). We ranked ahead of several playoff teams in avg points.