Why I can't respect the Buffalo Media...Clueless

Jay Skurski just posted an article regarding Zach Brown and then put this in his "Verdict"

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/06/free-agency-focus-lb-zach-brown/

"Verdict: The Bills don't have much money to spend – about $20 million with a need to sign 45 more players to have a 90-man roster – but Brown should be their top priority in free agency."

First off...only the Top 51 Players count against the NFL Salary Cap from the first day after the new league year to the day before the start of the regular season, so posting that they have $20 million to sign 45 more players is asinine and shows a complete lack of understanding about basic salary cap info. You would think guys whose job it is to report about sports could at least take the time to learn the basics about how what they are reporting about works, but apparently that is asking too much...

They've got plenty of time to whine and cry...not enough time to do their jobs properly...no respect given, these dudes are clowns.

Edited by matter2003

Yeah I have seen a bunch of media outlets and posters talk about the cap and "getting to 90" within cap restrictions. I get it if posters don't understand that the 90 never counts against the cap, but a "sports journalist"? Come on...

That said, I doubt many people need to be convinced that the Buffalo media is a crapchute, as is most all media at every level.

Yeah I have seen a bunch of media outlets and posters talk about the cap and "getting to 90" within cap restrictions. I get it if posters don't understand that the 90 never counts against the cap, but a "sports journalist"? Come on...

That said, I doubt many people need to be convinced that the Buffalo media is a crapchute, as is most all media at every level.

"Crapchute" is very clever. Was that intentional?

Good catch M2003. There's an insufferable need by the Buffalo sports media to perpetuate disarray.

Sadly they know their market. The Bills ought to sell hairshirt jerseys. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't agree with Jay's take but many fans hate on the Buffalo media because they report things the way they are. Look, like it or not, this has been a failing franchise for nearly two decades. That's the depressing fact. The media has a right to be critical of the decisions by the Bills

I don't agree with Jay's take but many fans hate on the Buffalo media because they report things the way they are. Look, like it or not, this has been a failing franchise for nearly two decades. That's the depressing fact. The media has a right to be critical of the decisions by the Bills

But after a while it's criticism for its own sake. There is no analysis. Just "well they sucked this long, expect them to suck again."

But they dont report things how they are. At least not in this case.

My hunch is Skurski knows, but throwing this out there:

A. Gets people to make posts about how dumb he is thus driving traffic

B. Gets the crowd that thinks the Bills don't know how to put on their pants in the morning excited thus driving traffic

UPDATE:

Been having a little twitter beef with him over this...claims "I am the only one interpreting it this way" and that his point was the Bills have very little money to fill out their roster.

I responded that:

1) There was nothing to interpret, I simply read what he wrote. If he would have said "fill out the roster" instead of getting to 90 then if I interpreted it that way, that's different. This was simply just calling him out on what he wrote.

2) The Bills have easy restructures they can do to open up whatever money they feel they need. Salary Cap issues are never really as bad as they seem due to this fact.

Dude won't even own what he wrote and that he screwed up and wants to make it seem like it's on me that I "interpreted" what he wrote that way...unbelievable...LMAO

UPDATE:

Been having a little twitter beef with him over this...claims "I am the only one interpreting it this way" and that his point was the Bills have very little money to fill out their roster.

I responded that:

1) There was nothing to interpret, I simply read what he wrote. If he would have said "fill out the roster" instead of getting to 90 then if I interpreted it that way, that's different. This was simply just calling him out on what he wrote.

2) The Bills have easy restructures they can do to open up whatever money they feel they need. Salary Cap issues are never really as bad as they seem due to this fact.

Dude won't even own what he wrote and that he screwed up and wants to make it seem like it's on me that I "interpreted" what he wrote that way...unbelievable...LMAO

Haha. Dont confuse him. Let him be.

Jay Skurski just posted an article regarding Zach Brown and then put this in his "Verdict"

"Verdict: The Bills don't have much money to spend – about $20 million with a need to sign 45 more players to have a 90-man roster – but Brown should be their top priority in free agency."

First off...only the Top 51 Players count against the NFL Salary Cap from the first day after the new league year to the day before the start of the regular season, so posting that they have $20 million to sign 45 more players is asinine and shows a complete lack of understanding about basic salary cap info. You would think guys whose job it is to report about sports could at least take the time to learn the basics about how what they are reporting about works, but apparently that is asking too much...

They've got plenty of time to whine and cry...not enough time to do their jobs properly...no respect given, these dudes are clowns.

wow that is very lazy of him . plus didn;t they pick up a quick 5 million yesterday . also there are few contracts they can convert to bonus money to make even more room . very lazy indded

My hunch is Skurski knows, but throwing this out there:

A. Gets people to make posts about how dumb he is thus driving traffic

B. Gets the crowd that thinks the Bills don't know how to put on their pants in the morning excited thus driving traffic

I'm not going to claim that the Buffalo media writes Pulitzer worthy articles. They certainly don't. However, it is actually very difficult to miss the playoffs 17 years in a row in the NFL. You could almost intentionally try and still fail. I actually don't think it is a stretch to say that the "Bills don't know how to put their pants on in the morning". They don't.

I'm not going to claim that the Buffalo media writes Pulitzer worthy articles. They certainly don't. However, it is actually very difficult to miss the playoffs 17 years in a row in the NFL. You could almost intentionally try and still fail. I actually don't think it is a stretch to say that the "Bills don't know how to put their pants on in the morning". They don't.

Saying everything sucks is not journalism.

I would argue that they don't "call it like it is". There is penty of bad to actually report, and I don't have a problem with real information.

The problem is giys like Sully who write everything with a massive bias of hatred for the FO and team in general. The media thinks we want to hear their opinions, so they deliver them as if they were news. It's that type of misleading context that undermines our franchise (and in the long run, their own career).

But it's easy to feel bad for a profession being replaced by twitter. They are becoming obsolete and they know it, so their idea of fighting for themselves is "click bait" headlines to get them some page views. It is what it is.

the Buffalo media Does NOT report on things the way they are. The form opinions and write a column. When do local writers ever get a scoop. When do local writers ever get info before the national press.

The local press regurgitates what they read and then issue their opinion.

The local press went crazy when Coach Dickerson had a radio show as he often got insider scoops (plus he new all the players and coaches). Not that I loved Dickerson but he had info and a bone to pick....maybe from players or coaches or Sandy, Marv's sec...who knows. But the BN press after all these years has NO ONE they get good truth from.

A great example is Dareus...not one local press guy has dug up the truth on his suspensions, treatment, lies about treatment facilities, banned drug use, car accidents, etc etc. They wrote more about Bruuuuuuuce Smith's sleep apnea at a traffic light 20 years ago, than Dareus as he screws the team and his team mates with lies, not performance and bull-poop.

you should send him an email and let him know that he's factually wrong. He may edit the piece, which would be a good thing.

Yeah, but its more drastic and outlandish to say they have to fit 45 players into $20million than to tell the boring truth.

Trump is showing the way!

Better be prepared for all media to act even more outlandish from now on. It gets ratings!

When I lived in Buffalo I had some personal interactions with Sully and to be honest I found him lacking in all aspects of being a human.

There are a few that I will read their articles but for the most part I get my Bills news from here as well as family & friend still in the Buffalo area.

Criticize them all you want, but I can think of a couple of posters here who will take those numbers and run with them...just to argue that Whaley, "needs to go."

A lot of people just want to read what they believe. The truth is secondary.

Is it because you have so little respect for the local media that you follow them so intently?

There is a difference between hating negativity and hating on incompetence. Buffalo media has transformed solely to the clickbait model. They are vocal about their lack of access to the FO and spend half their time whining and complaining about it (see Schopp's ridiculous post a few weeks ago about a dream he had) and the other half of their time posting negative things to try and get OBD to notice them. The problem with almost all of these guys is ego. They view themselves as a brand to be promoted, but they aren't willing to put in the work to actually be relevant sports journalists. Perfect example is Tim Graham, he has the ability to actually write decent articles, but spends most of his time trolling people on twitter.

UPDATE:

I responded that:

Skurski has no actual football knowlege. I'd put up half the posters on this board against him and he would lose terribly.

Edited by ndirish1978

If you don't like it, don't read it. These posts crack me up. These writers are generating conversation. Thatmeans the writer did their job. That's all they want.

You're right, that's all they want, #journalismisdead

Is it because you have so little respect for the local media that you follow them so intently?

I don't follow them intently, I simply read the articles that are linked to on the main forum wall. I guess it's too much to actually think they should be able to do their job properly...

You know, like if I go to my job as a computer programmer and have no clue how to program...Guess that only works in some industries tho...

Edited by matter2003

Skurski obviously didnt do his homework but the negative atmosphere from TBN is mostly due to the team being a running joke for years on end.

The negative atmosphere at TBN has little to do with the team being a running joke for years. Their editorial stance is a direct response to having been frozen out by PSE. They don't have access that other outlets enjoy and it rankles them. For both teams.

The Bills have had previous long stretches of being a running joke in their history but the likes of Larry Felser and others of his ilk could be brutally candid in their criticisms without being frozen out. I suspect that was because the Felsers of the world conducted themselves like gentlemen and professionals, especially in off the record venues. Used to be you could enjoy a scotch or two among the beat at the team hotel without worrying about the kind of "gotcha" journalism seen today.

see...you got excited.

Its like they are clueless the way things work and dont care to educate themselves

I would argue that they don't "call it like it is". There is penty of bad to actually report, and I don't have a problem with real information.

The problem is giys like Sully who write everything with a massive bias of hatred for the FO and team in general. The media thinks we want to hear their opinions, so they deliver them as if they were news. It's that type of misleading context that undermines our franchise (and in the long run, their own career).

But it's easy to feel bad for a profession being replaced by twitter. They are becoming obsolete and they know it, so their idea of fighting for themselves is "click bait" headlines to get them some page views. It is what it is.

Your argument doesn't make sense though. Isn't Jerry a columnist? It's his job to share his opinions. How can you possibly tell if he's biased. That's one helluva assumption with no evidence to back it up.

I will say, I think Jerry (along with Mike Rodak) wishes he was covering Tom Brady and the Patriots. But a lot of his criticsm toward the Buffalo is warranted, and true

There is a difference between hating negativity and hating on incompetence. Buffalo media has transformed solely to the clickbait model. They are vocal about their lack of access to the FO and spend half their time whining and complaining about it (see Schopp's ridiculous post a few weeks ago about a dream he had) and the other half of their time posting negative things to try and get OBD to notice them. The problem with almost all of these guys is ego. They view themselves as a brand to be promoted, but they aren't willing to put in the work to actually be relevant sports journalists. Perfect example is Tim Graham, he has the ability to actually write decent articles, but spends most of his time trolling people on twitter.

Skurski has no actual football knowlege. I'd put up half the posters on this board against him and he would lose terribly.

A lot of conjecture and accusation without any proof or evidence.

When I lived in Buffalo I had some personal interactions with Sully and to be honest I found him lacking in all aspects of being a human.

There are a few that I will read their articles but for the most part I get my Bills news from here as well as family & friend still in the Buffalo area.

Such as???? If your going to make a heavy accusation like that, some context would be helpful

you should send him an email and let him know that he's factually wrong. He may edit the piece, which would be a good thing.

He confronted him on twitter:

Jay Skurski: "You are literally the only one interpreting it that way. The point is they have very little money to fill out their roster."