Proposed New Era Field Lighting Upgrade

Dr.Sack

Sounds like this is a proposed project. Not only will it save on energy and maintenance, but also result in better light levels down at the field level.

Will better lighting result in more home victories?

New Era Field, New Field Lighting
Friday, January 6, 2017

New Era field (previously known as Ralph Wilson Stadium), located in Orchard Park, NY, is home to the National Football League’s Buffalo Bills. The stadium has undergone extensive renovation over the past several years. However, the field lighting at New Era Field has not been upgraded since 1999 and the lights have continuously dimmed since 2003. The current stadium field lighting consists of six (6) poles each with sixty (60) 2000 watt Metal Halide light fixtures. Because the lighting is so outdated, replacement fixtures are no longer available or manufactured. Constant maintenance and repair of the old fixtures is an ongoing problem.

The lighting renovation project is being designed by Joe Hallmark, PE, a Senior Electrical Engineer at Watts Architecture & Engineering. Joe is proposing new LED light fixtures that will reduce the overall energy consumption by 425 KW. The new lights will greatly reduce maintenance frequency, thanks to a longer lamp life. The design will provide an average brightness of 215 footcandles (FC) compared to the existing measured footcandle level of 185 FC. The increased FC level will now meet the NFL lighting criteria and will provide good depth of field and increased visibility for the players and spectators. The well-lit field will also allow for increased resolution for TV camera lenses, meaning a better picture for viewers at home.

https://watts-ae.com/about/news/article:12-21-2016-12-00am-new-field-lighting-new-era-field-2015-2016-year-4-capital-improvement-allowance-projects/

Sounds like a good idea. However......

I understand the Bills are still considering New Era their home for several more years. The writing is on the wall though that at some point they will build a new stadium and move there. Whenever that time comes the old Ralph will essentially become useless.

At some point the renovations they are going through now and planning for the near future are pointless as the stadium will become obsolete.

I guess part of it is a return on investment. Does the cost savings out weigh the cost of install if they move in 5 years? Also, unfortunately the Bills stink and the vast majority of home games are in the day. Even in the bleak winter games I have never thought lighting was an issue.

If the 5 year ROI isn't there, I pass and use the money on other upgrades.

Sounds like this is a proposed project. Not only will it save on energy and maintenance, but also result in better light levels down at the field level.

Will better lighting result in more home victories?

New Era Field, New Field Lighting
Friday, January 6, 2017

New Era field (previously known as Ralph Wilson Stadium), located in Orchard Park, NY, is home to the National Football League’s Buffalo Bills. The stadium has undergone extensive renovation over the past several years. However, the field lighting at New Era Field has not been upgraded since 1999 and the lights have continuously dimmed since 2003. The current stadium field lighting consists of six (6) poles each with sixty (60) 2000 watt Metal Halide light fixtures. Because the lighting is so outdated, replacement fixtures are no longer available or manufactured. Constant maintenance and repair of the old fixtures is an ongoing problem.

The lighting renovation project is being designed by Joe Hallmark, PE, a Senior Electrical Engineer at Watts Architecture & Engineering. Joe is proposing new LED light fixtures that will reduce the overall energy consumption by 425 KW. The new lights will greatly reduce maintenance frequency, thanks to a longer lamp life. The design will provide an average brightness of 215 footcandles (FC) compared to the existing measured footcandle level of 185 FC. The increased FC level will now meet the NFL lighting criteria and will provide good depth of field and increased visibility for the players and spectators. The well-lit field will also allow for increased resolution for TV camera lenses, meaning a better picture for viewers at home.

https://watts-ae.com/about/news/article:12-21-2016-12-00am-new-field-lighting-new-era-field-2015-2016-year-4-capital-improvement-allowance-projects/

Am I missing something major? Overall consumption will be reduced by 425KW? 425KW per hour = a savings of roughly $76.50 per hour.

One would think that LEDs would consume far less than a Halogen light bulb, and significantly less than the incondencent bulbs (which of course they dont use)

Or is that horribly written and it should have indicated saving 425KW per hour per bulb so that would be multiplied by 6 poles by 60 lights: $76.50 * 6 poles * 60 lights= $27,540 in savings per hour x 8 hours (safe estimate) = $220,320 savings a game.

Whaley has built this team around performing in poor lighting - there goes our poor lighting home field advantage. Another case of the owner being out of sync with the GM.

I always wonder about this stuff. Those energy bulbs yrs ago were acclaimed tk be so great. Meanwhile, they're terrible for the environment. How green is stuff like this just because it lasts longer?

Old fashioned bulbs are extremely recyclable. These new ones not so much.

Sounds like a good idea. However......

I understand the Bills are still considering New Era their home for several more years. The writing is on the wall though that at some point they will build a new stadium and move there. Whenever that time comes the old Ralph will essentially become useless.

At some point the renovations they are going through now and planning for the near future are pointless as the stadium will become obsolete.

I guess part of it is a return on investment. Does the cost savings out weigh the cost of install if they move in 5 years? Also, unfortunately the Bills stink and the vast majority of home games are in the day. Even in the bleak winter games I have never thought lighting was an issue.

If the 5 year ROI isn't there, I pass and use the money on other upgrades.

I know. I'd like to know the total cost of all improvements made to the stadium since 1998. It reminds me of someone holding on to an old car while spending thousands on repairs. Thousands that could have covered the cost of a new car when it's all said and done. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Interesting. Sounds like a no-brainer. Cost isn't listed, though.

Looks like this project is going out to bid today with awarding of contract 2-22-17 10:30 am. There was an informational meeting at New Era Stadium today. I think taxpayers are $$$$ for this project along with some HAVC work st NES

The increased FC level will now meet the NFL lighting criteria and will provide good depth of field and increased visibility for the players and spectators.

So that's why Tyrod couldn't throw over the middle or move faster than a slug during a 2-minute drill. It is all suddenly so clear!

I always wonder about this stuff. Those energy bulbs yrs ago were acclaimed tk be so great. Meanwhile, they're terrible for the environment. How green is stuff like this just because it lasts longer?

Old fashioned bulbs are extremely recyclable. These new ones not so much.

"Al Gore" bulbs (CFLs) have traces of Hg in them... The LEDs are better I suppose.

But you are right. It gets you wondering.

At work we have over 50+ light standards. When the place was first built in 1960, it used sodium vapor, then they made the switch to metal halide. Just this year we upgraded to LED. The LED bulbs are $150 a pop. Metal halide 30. Nice thing about the LEDs, instant on. But... They better get us at least 10 years a bulb or the way I calculated, we aren't saving anything vs. energy consumption. Rough estimate. Bulbs are only guaranteed for 5 I think. As price of bulbs come down in years, I suppose better. Then factor in what schit hole part of the world the bulbs are made in.

Anyway... Our light standards are going on 60 years, and they are used 365 days a year. The Bills just upgraded in 1999? Sounds to me, somebody is getting rich off the constant "upgrades." Of course a much different system at the field. But really? Any part can be reverse engineered.

"Al Gore" bulbs (CFLs) have traces of Hg in them... The LEDs are better I suppose.

But you are right. It gets you wondering.

At work we have over 50+ light standards. When the place was first built in 1960, it used sodium vapor, then they made the switch to metal halide. Just this year we upgraded to LED. The LED bulbs are $150 a pop. Metal halide 30. Nice thing about the LEDs, instant on. But... They better get us at least 10 years a bulb or the way I calculated, we aren't saving anything vs. energy consumption. Rough estimate. Bulbs are only guaranteed for 5 I think. As price of bulbs come down in years, I suppose better. Then factor in what schit hole part of the world the bulbs are made in.

Anyway... Our light standards are going on 60 years, and they are used 365 days a year. The Bills just upgraded in 1999? Sounds to me, somebody is getting rich off the constant "upgrades." Of course a much different system at the field. But really? Any part can be reverse engineered.

Exiled, I saw your comment over at PPP on this. I'm curious your math. I'll gladly run the numbers for you and give you the ROI.

Exiled, I saw your comment over at PPP on this. I'm curious your math. I'll gladly run the numbers for you and give you the ROI.

Thanks! I will take you up on that!

I am not in @ work until after next week... That's when I can grab the exact past bulb info vs. the new LED energy comsumption.

I will PM that info.

I just can't resolve the price of the new bulbs being 5 times as much. Old bulbs we don't change that much... Some of them last years upon years... But of course consuming vast more energy.

We just finished installing new bulbs within the month so we haven't seen what new electric bill looks like. I am intrested to see the savings vs. the investment w/new bulbs. Will the new LEDs really last long in a harsh environment? At 5 times as much, they have to!

Again, I will PM you the stats when I gather the info a week from Monday (2/27). Exact price of bulbs too along with the price of electricity.

Crunch away... Have @ it! :-)

On another note, @ home I just had a dimmable LED act squirrelly on me after a year. It's on a dimmer and the bulb was out. I said: "That cant be, it's an LED." I was ready to throw away but tested in straight socket, it works. For some reason, it stopped working in that dimmer controlled socket. Other dimmable LEDs still work on that dimmer.