Belechick legend

BobbyC81

I just don't understand why Belechick is so much better than other head coaches. What's his secret?

He had has books written about him. For one, Patriot Reign, written by a Michael Holley, the writer was given access to Belechick, his assistants and players for 2 years. He probably was limited as to what he could write but the blurb I read about the book says it provides insights into how Belichick and his coaching cabinet prepare for opponents, evaluate talent, run the draft, and design their offensive and defensive schemes.

You'd think other coaches would read this book to find out how he does it and copy him but there's nobody close to his level. You would think his assistants that got head coaching positions elsewhere could copy his system and be successful but their track record has not been good. You'd expect players that played for him and went to other teams could share some insights with new coaches and teammates towards success but there hasn't been much evidence of that.

I know many will respond to this that it's all because Brady is his QB. Well, Brady was injured in the first half of the first game of the 2008 season and, although they didn't make the playoffs, Belechick led that team to a 10-6 record with freakin' Matt Cassell at QB. Cassell, as we know, has gone on to play for a few other teams with limited success.

Belechick and the Pats have frequently brought in players that were "cancers" on other teams (Corey Dillon, Randy Moss) and helped them have All-Pro seasons. He's gotten rid of talented players that perhaps didn't fit his team and continues to win. This year he lost one of the All-Time great tight ends to injury but just won the damn Super Bowl.

As with many here on TBD, I hate Belechick and Brady but, as our Bills have just hired their 8th coach since the last time they made the playoffs in 1999, I wish Belechick was our coach.

Well, for as much as you want to dismiss it Brady does have a lot to do with it. BB did not have the success in Cleveland that he's had in NE with Brady. Same deal with his assistants that left - they never had the luxury of taking Brady with them.

That said, it's clear BB has a singular ability to exploit opponents' weaknesses. Is that just a product of hard work and experience (+some occasional cheating)? Who knows. I don't think the guy is head and shoulders more talented than other great coaches in the league. I think his biggest advantage is that he's not married to any particular style or scheme - basically the antithesis of Rex and a lot of the other loser coaches still floating around.

Has it ever occurred to you that many of Belichick's wins are a direct result of the other teams organizational incompetence?

I believe the aura of mystic around Belichick clouds people's thinking. Everyone wants that signature win. The Seahawks had the Patriots dead to rights and they blew it. Dan Quinn had a 1st down at the 22 of New England and came away with no points. A FG would have ended the game.

Jauron didn't have McKelvin take a knee. Everyone seems to think there's a lot of luck, I'd argue that the tactical awareness is more lacking than luck. There's a ton of these games every year. We've all saw teams choke and beat themselves.

Has it ever occurred to you that many of Belichick's wins are a direct result of the other teams organizational incompetence?

I believe the aura of mystic around Belichick clouds people's thinking. Everyone wants that signature win. The Seahawks had the Patriots dead to rights and they blew it. Dan Quinn had a 1st down at the 22 of New England and came away with no points. A FG would have ended the game.

Jauron didn't have McKelvin take a knee. Everyone seems to think there's a lot of luck, I'd argue that the tactical awareness is more lacking than luck. There's a ton of these games every year. We've all saw teams choke and beat themselves.

This is definitely a part of it too.

For all different reasons, some people are obsessed more than others, devote more time and passion to their endeavors. The only thing holding people back is themselves and how far they can test, push limits. And, when they run into competition exactly like themselves, the "little things."

I used the analogy of how my son would win the Pinewood Derby as a Cub Scout. The carnage was so bad, that he had to dial it down until others were doing what he was doing. HECK, after awhile he just gave out the secrets that he was taught. If there were no rules and guidelines, "open outlaw" format, the carnage would have been even greater if people got away with cheating. Obvious and firm rule is weight, a accurate scale doesn't lie. Now mix in all other factors, lane conditions, drop, etc... And quickly, you can see who is doing the little things right with the car, which child is being taught the right concepts, etc... One definitely sees the design elements in play when the wheat is separated from the chaff. At that point, where a few cars are dialing it in, anything can happen giving conditions, the drop, etc... 5 exact ounces of car is still dropping each race, except little Joey whose car came in @ 4.79 ounces... And parent/guardian who didn't feel it essential to get it to 5.0 ounces... He gone! Send him to garage to be judged on who has the nicest paint job.

Do we honor spirit of competition or all out winning? How do we bridge both without being cheats or losing our winning edge?

Bills are not as bad as little Joey. Bills come in w/a car that weighs exactly 5.0 ounces too. But what are they doing wrong? The little things that give one an edge. In Pats** case they may even be testing the rules. Staying with the above analogy, one rule is that cars can't have shocks or springs added to the axles. Does that mean you can't cut the whole body (wood block) of the car to act as a "spring" or independent suspension? Hmmmm... Belicheat surely would, time and time again, keep on winning until it was outlawed or accepted as legal. Then, @ that time, he moves on to something else.

Maybe I am off base here and over simplifying things, obviously football is way more complicated. IMO, I think this is the reason we are seeing more competitive Super Bowls now. Jesus Christ, everything from the QBs wristband notes to coaches in headsets is dialed in. Belicheat just does it better than the rest and exploits the other's brain farts, lack of logic, continuity in their team design and when all else fails, tests the rules. Also, where a normal team would debur (if at all) that axle in 2 minutes, a good team would take 10 minutes, and a great team would have the axle to a mirror finish taking 20 minutes or longer. That is what Belicheat is doing... Now... What happens when everybody gets the hint and has mirrored finishes on their axles? Like The League is today. One has to find another trick that some may call a "cheat". Such is the competitive "arms race."

That's what is happening.

The game now is bigger, stronger, faster. But is the game really better? Where does it end? Mass brain trauma like I have giving you this crazy azz take on it?

Just my non2cents (nonsense).

Yes. Agree. That is where Ernie Adams comes in. It is like taking Rain Man to Vegas.

Oh... AND we almost witnessed Joe Maddon make mistake (the way he managed his pitchers in game 7) with Cubs. Indians were one swing away from ending it as were the Cubs one pitch from ending it (as happened).

I saw during the SB, don't know if others saw it, but before the onside kick a coach was talking to BB and reading his lips the other cosch said "we don't have enough time" and they kicked onside. situational awareness could be the difference they didn't get kick but still managed to pull out.

Hey Sean McDermott please take some notes ok. I picture him maniacally watching, or maybe wishful thinking

And then there's the concept of time. Time together; how many years have BB and TB been together? Two very successful individuals together over time results in a "greater than the sum of the parts" effect that no other NFL team can claim.

The real reason is that Bellichick is the son of a coach, but he never starred as a player. I have read that he would work with the college players on film study when he was only in the eighth grade. Bill studied football schemes as others studied chess moves. Other sons of coaches have coached successfully, but Bill's father coached at a service academy, which does not have the athletes that ordinary colleges can recruit, because of the selection process and the military time that must be served after graduation. That meant that plays meant more than personnell.

I think that also it is evident that BB is not a people person who gets close personally to players, even Tom Brady. I have read that after 17 years, the two have never had a dinner or other party together, unless it was team sponsored. Bill is divorced, and was known to have a roaming eye when he worked with the Giants, which is one reason he was never in the Giants plans as a head coach. That was the main reason for his divorce, along with the fact his wife never saw him because of his ridiculous hours of football study. Bill and Tom get along because Tom, unlike most other star quarterbacks, never challenges his coaches decisions in plays and in personell decisions, even though he is close to many of the players released.

Bill has the reputation of not having a large group of successful head coaches who were tutored as one of his assistants, but Coach Saban is a prime example of one who learned and prospered using Bill's system. Others went to programs and did not use, either because of the owner/college president made most of the personell decisions, or they did not have the extensive backgrounding that Bill had as a child. I also believe that Bill could not have been as successful with Bledsoe as well as he did with Brady.

The real reason is that Bellichick is the son of a coach, but he never starred as a player. I have read that he would work with the college players on film study when he was only in the eighth grade. Bill studied football schemes as others studied chess moves. Other sons of coaches have coached successfully, but Bill's father coached at a service academy, which does not have the athletes that ordinary colleges can recruit, because of the selection process and the military time that must be served after graduation. That meant that plays meant more than personnell.

I think that also it is evident that BB is not a people person who gets close personally to players, even Tom Brady. I have read that after 17 years, the two have never had a dinner or other party together, unless it was team sponsored. Bill is divorced, and was known to have a roaming eye when he worked with the Giants, which is one reason he was never in the Giants plans as a head coach. That was the main reason for his divorce, along with the fact his wife never saw him because of his ridiculous hours of football study. Bill and Tom get along because Tom, unlike most other star quarterbacks, never challenges his coaches decisions in plays and in personell decisions, even though he is close to many of the players released.

Bill has the reputation of not having a large group of successful head coaches who were tutored as one of his assistants, but Coach Saban is a prime example of one who learned and prospered using Bill's system. Others went to programs and did not use, either because of the owner/college president made most of the personell decisions, or they did not have the extensive backgrounding that Bill had as a child. I also believe that Bill could not have been as successful with Bledsoe as well as he did with Brady.

Great point right there.

Bill's father coached at a service academy

That's probably where he learned the value of having smart, disciplined guys who were willing to be coached.

No different than any other endeavor or enterprise with a large group of people. If you have weak links, selfish/renegade types, people who don't believe in/follow the plan, your chances of success go way down. BB only takes guys who are willing and able to stick to the script and the moment you can't, you're gone.

His adjustments and game management are all top notch, but it's his ability to understand what value he can get from each player which results in the uncanny ability of the Pats to always be in the right place at the right time and know what to do, that sets BB apart from all others. He is by far the greatest coach in history.

other teams are weak. panthers tie the game late with a td...then kick the ball out of bounds giving brady the ball on his own 40 and fg wins it. falcons don't take the easy points and they let them in the game. it's amazing.

This too. Choking under pressure is a natural human reaction and most football players and coaches are no different from anyone else. But BB is; and again, he seeks out the type of player who like him, can keep his head in the most stressful moments.

He's a football genius. He prepares better. He knows the rule book better. He only focuses on winning, not being likable or funny; or getting headlines, etc. He is great at clock management. He is great with personnel changes - always knows who to cut, when, etc.

Having Brady obviously helps. A lot. But Belicheck is an absolute genius.

For those saying that "It's Brady", see this years first four Pats* games. Also, watch "A Football Life 95' Browns". You can see that Belichick was doing exactly what he is doing now with the Pats* with the Browns and it was showing toward the end. Heck, if the Browns never relocated, they may have been the most dominant team in football today.

For those saying that "It's Brady", see this years first four Pats* games. Also, watch "A Football Life 95' Browns". You can see that Belichick was doing exactly what he is doing now with the Pats* with the Browns and it was showing toward the end. Heck, if the Browns never relocated, they may have been the most dominant team in football today.

Yup. That was the second worst roster in football when he took over, needed to be totally rebuilt from Schottenheimer's '80s teams. Four years later won 11 games with Testaverde at QB and garbage at the skill positions.

Same reason Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather are so good at boxing, they ruin it for everyone. 20 years ago, football was a lot of fun. You could win a lot of different ways. Running game, good defense, good oline, a hot WR.

In 1998 the Patriots were about to be dissolved. Not relocated, just gone. They were closing down the old stadium and the fans were going to storm the MNF booth and beat Dan Dierdoff to death with Al Michaels body. 9/11 happened. Refs looked the other way while Ty Law raped Issac Bruce, and Brady dinked and dunked his way to the Super Bowl.

Tom Donahue signed Lawyer Milloy, and Bellichek saw the power of knowing the play before the snap.

Now it's just QB, and a coach who teaches his players how to get away with holding. The game is suffering. It's horrible to watch. Ratings are down. People are not playing it

I think it's a organizational type thing. From the very top on down. Brady made a deal with the devil at some point he's that good. As for Belichek the coaching of the Pat's seems to be exceptionally good at making half time adjustments. More that a few times the last while the Bills come out fantastic in the first half only to have the Pat's adjust and dominate the second half.

Belichick's teams don't make stupid mistakes......like not running the ball from the 23 yd line , up by 8 and just kicking a FG to clinch the win...still can't get over the terrible play calls on that series

Edited by nucci

The fact that he has Tom Brady really helps and most importantly the things they allow the Patriots to get away with. There secondary holds,clutches, grabs on nearly every play. The illegal pks they run are a thing of beauty. The Holding that goes on on offense etc,etc.

I'm sorry the NFL loves the Patriots it's been that way since September 12, 2001. Before that Belicheck was on the hot seat after 2 bad yrs.

The Tuck Rule, never seen it called before or after that Raiders gm. I wonder why? If the NFL is capable of making things up on the spot what other things are they holding bk on weekly basis.

I really encourage you to read Spygate by Byran O'Leary. BB's success is due to Ernie Adams. If you disregard the book, read Dan Shanussey's piece about Ernie Adams from the Boston Globe. Ernie is the X's and O's guy and the guy behind Spygate, etc...

Belichick reminds me of a good poker player. Plays the person instead of playing the cards. In his case, he sets his game plan for the team he is facing. He doesn't do the same thing every game, he switches up and adapts to whatever team hes playing, and usually that game plan works excellent. A lot of coaches can't do that consistently

Belichick reminds me of a good poker player. Plays the person instead of playing the cards. In his case, he sets his game plan for the team he is facing. He doesn't do the same thing every game, he switches up and adapts to whatever team hes playing, and usually that game plan works excellent. A lot of coaches can't do that consistently

I think that's what we saw when we played them with Brisset earlier in the year. He wasn't upset at all by the loss. He knew which gameplan "could" work the best, but still knew it wasn't "assured" to produce a win. He tried it. It failed. He learned. The team progressed.

The problem with many teams is impatience. Bellichik is demanding and deals with urgency, but not impatience on an organizational level. It is a remarkable trait he exemplifies.

It's all Brady. Period.

This is the most important piece. Without Brady he wouldnt win as much. Period. Give him credit for drafting Brady though.

You can be the greatest coach in the world but you still need talent on your roster no matter what

other teams are weak. panthers tie the game late with a td...then kick the ball out of bounds giving brady the ball on his own 40 and fg wins it. falcons don't take the easy points and they let them in the game. it's amazing.

This works. When the Pats cant beat you, they let you beat yourself.

Don't forget Ernie Adams, the Pats mad genius behind the curtain. He's the guy who comes up with a lot of twists, both legal and, ahem, slightly less so.

This also plays a role

Its a tri-fecta for the Bellicheck Conspiracy

1. Tom Brady and squeezing talent out of cheap players/contracts

2. Letting other teams outsmart/beat themselves.

3. Ernie Adams Shenanigans and pushing the rules.

When Brady retires so will Bellicheck because unless he drafts another future HOFer he wont have the same success.

I think that's what we saw when we played them with Brisset earlier in the year. He wasn't upset at all by the loss. He knew which gameplan "could" work the best, but still knew it wasn't "assured" to produce a win. He tried it. It failed. He learned. The team progressed.

The problem with many teams is impatience. Bellichik is demanding and deals with urgency, but not impatience on an organizational level. It is a remarkable trait he exemplifies.

Yes sir, agreed

Same reason Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather are so good at boxing, they ruin it for everyone. 20 years ago, football was a lot of fun. You could win a lot of different ways. Running game, good defense, good oline, a hot WR.

In 1998 the Patriots were about to be dissolved. Not relocated, just gone. They were closing down the old stadium and the fans were going to storm the MNF booth and beat Dan Dierdoff to death with Al Michaels body. 9/11 happened. Refs looked the other way while Ty Law raped Issac Bruce, and Brady dinked and dunked his way to the Super Bowl.

Tom Donahue signed Lawyer Milloy, and Bellichek saw the power of knowing the play before the snap.

Now it's just QB, and a coach who teaches his players how to get away with holding. The game is suffering. It's horrible to watch. Ratings are down. People are not playing it

1998!? Two years after they played GB in the Super Bowl? 1998 sounds like prime years for Bledsoe and Ben winter Coates. Once Bledose was drafted and the uniforms changed the Pats rise began.

1998!? Two years after they played GB in the Super Bowl? 1998 sounds like prime years for Bledsoe and Ben winter Coates. Once Bledose was drafted and the uniforms changed the Pats rise began.

Nope. They had problems with getting a new stadium, and the news was for about a week they were going to dissolve the team.

Nope. They had problems with getting a new stadium, and the news was for about a week they were going to dissolve the team.

Your right, I just found an article about the Hartford move it was in 98'. I apologize. That just makes the fan base even easier to hate on, heck they played in a super bowl two years prior. Gross. All I remember is they were never ever on tv, always blacked out locally and I could watch the Bills!!! Then everything changed with Bledsoe and Kraft, they started selling tickets. Good thing for Sunday ticket.

I really encourage you to read Spygate by Byran O'Leary. BB's success is due to Ernie Adams. If you disregard the book, read Dan Shanussey's piece about Ernie Adams from the Boston Globe. Ernie is the X's and O's guy and the guy behind Spygate, etc...

They want $100 for this thing on Amazon... what the hell.

He is a great coach. But he has NEVER gotten to the playoffs without Tom Brady. He had almost two weeks to prepare for the Bills this year at home and got shut out by our lousy lousy defense one of the worst in the league.

Brady is the vast majority of their success.

When they lost TB that year they did not make the playoffs. I don't care that they went 10-6 or 11-5. What that tells you is that everyone else in the division did too and they were not as good as the rest without Brady.

Brady is the best of ALL time. No doubt

And when Kraft built it, he was refinancing it every 30 days? Salomon Smith Barney? They had to keep butts in stadium, tuck rule? League "push".

Oh... And Kraft didn't 100% the stadium, he got 17% from State.

It's all Brady. Period.

It starts with Brady, winning so early in his career allowed the team a chance to focus on building a solid organization and they done that almost to perfection. They've never put themselves in a position for a major rebuild, they've done what teams dream of doing, release players a year too soon instead of a year too late. They game plan brilliantly, they rarely make mistakes. They are in a position, mainly because of Brady's ability, to bench a player if he fumbles or drops a pass.... it won't hurt the team because of Brady. It's really fascinating to watch. They seem to have a specific plan for their roster which they've stuck with that allows them to plug new players in without disrupting the schemes. Great coaching and QB to start with, great team management after. It's frustrating for us but they're a remarkable dynasty. Dynasty's aren't supposed to happen in the free agent era.