So Much For The Oilers Comeback

Rico

Ok fine... greatest comeback in a superbowl... Not the greatest comeback ever.. That still belongs to us.

I'd much rather have greatest comeback in super bowl history than NFL history. This was a bigger game than the Bills oilers game

It was the Super Bowl. Shaky teams get in the playoffs every year. Teams are supposed to be vetted by the time of the Super Bowl. They're supposed to have played and beaten the best in their conference. The Falcons just choked in every phase of the game, and their coaching vanished like so much smoke and mirrors.

Crazy thing is with under 5 minutes to go the Falcons had the ball at the New England 22 1st and 10.

Any logical coach would have gathered himself went jumbo and slammed the ball 3 times into the line. Assuming 3 1 yard losses you're looking at 4th and 13 at the 25 with 4:20 to go assuming New England used all 3 timeouts. The game essentially become out of reach with a 43 yard field goal which is converted 80% of the time.

Now you kickoff up 11 and the Patriots need to get 2 possessions to win. No chance.

It was the Super Bowl. Shaky teams get in the playoffs every year. Teams are supposed to be vetted by the time of the Super Bowl. They're supposed to have played and beaten the best in their conference. The Falcons just choked in every phase of the game, and their coaching vanished like so much smoke and mirrors.

That Atlanta D was not stopping NE late...But the offense choked that game away big time...Last possession of the 3rd Atlanta gets the ball to start the drive at the NE 41 and goes backwards...Next possession the sack/fumble on a 3rd and 1 with Matty Melt holding the ball too long...Next possession the sack and penalty takes them out of FG range...And that's that...That's how impossible comebacks happen...Two out of three drives they had the ball in NE territory, one time deep, and they get zero points...All they needed was a FG to win...Choke job... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Crazy thing is with under 5 minutes to go the Falcons had the ball at the New England 22 1st and 10.

Any logical coach would have gathered himself went jumbo and slammed the ball 3 times into the line. Assuming 3 1 yard losses you're looking at 4th and 13 at the 25 with 4:20 to go assuming New England used all 3 timeouts. The game essentially become out of reach with a 43 yard field goal which is converted 80% of the time.

Now you kickoff up 11 and the Patriots need to get 2 possessions to win. No chance.

This

That **** was disgusting. I dont think I can watch any football related program for about a month or so

That Atlanta D was not stopping NE late...But the offense choked that game away big time...Last possession of the 3rd Atlanta gets the ball to start the drive at the NE 41 and goes backwards...Next possession the sack/fumble on a 3rd and 1 with Matty Melt holding the ball too long...Next possession the sack and penalty takes them out of FG range...And that's that...That's how impossible comebacks happen...Two out of three drives they had the ball in NE territory, one time deep, and they get zero points...All they needed was a FG to win...Choke job... B-)

And that ridiculous edelman catch! smh

Dan Quinn took Pete Carrolls game plan with him apparently.

Matty Melt :lol:

That moniker is gonna stick!

Next possession the sack/fumble on a 3rd and 1 with Matty Melt holding the ball too long...Next possession the sack and penalty takes them out of FG range...And that's that...

Not really having seen much of Atlanta, Melt is not that impressive. At least in this game. He's good, not great, not near best in the league

Edited by MarkyMannn

I think people are forgetting how deflating Devonta Freeman's missed blocking assignment was. That was the turning point. If he blocks his man there, worst case, Atlanta doesn't convert then punts it down to the NE 30. NE has to drive 70 yards instead of 25 yards which would eat up a lot more time. That 25 yard drive by NE ate up 2:28 minutes when there was 8:31 to start the drive. If they have to drive 70 yards instead, I think it's fair to assume that drive would eat up about 4 minutes at least. I would think Atlanta would get a couple first downs without scoring to kill the clock

I do thing Matty Melts sack was atrocious. But that Freeman no-block I think finished the Falcons

Edited by VaMilBill

This game does nothing to change the status of the Bills comeback vs the Oilers. The Bills game is still the greatest comeback ever. They were more pts down than NE with a backup QB not the greatest QB ever. Maybe this SB ranks as #2 but no way does it eclipse what the Bills did in that game vs the Oilers.

I think people are forgetting how deflating Devonta Freeman's missed blocking assignment was. That was the turning point. If he blocks his man there, worst case, Atlanta doesn't convert then punts it down to the NE 30. NE has to drive 70 yards instead of 25 yards which would eat up a lot more time. That 25 yard drive by NE ate up 2:28 minutes when there was 8:31 to start the drive. If they have to drive 70 yards instead, I think it's fair to assume that drive would eat up about 4 minutes at least. I would think Atlanta would get a couple first downs without scoring to kill the clock

I do thing Matty Melts sack was atrocious. But that Freeman no-block I think finished the Falcons

The play call was ridiculous. 3rd and 1.... 9:40 to go, clock running. Bleed the clock. I mean come on.

Just dropped to #2 all time. :(

The stakes matter though.

No they don't, ours is still better. Also, we didn't have the luxury of playing a team that made literally every mistake in the book when it comes to protecting a lead.

Edited by Talley56

I disagree that the Bills comeback is now #2 behind last night.

The Bills not only had a bigger deficit to overcome but overcame it with a backup quarterback and not in the comfort and predictability of a domed stadium.

It will be interesting though, when the NFL Network does one of its Top 10 Shows for the Greatest Comebacks - where the Bills-Oilers Game will rank.

Bills comeback was biggest-ever, no doubt - do the math. However, the greatest comeback? It will be hard to beat the Pats win in OT due to the stage and stakes.

It will be interesting though, when the NFL Network does one of its Top 10 Shows for the Greatest Comebacks - where the Bills-Oilers Game will rank.

Bills comeback was biggest-ever, no doubt - do the math. However, the greatest comeback? It will be hard to beat the Pats win in OT due to the stage and stakes.

Biggest 4th Q comeback ever.

Yup. The "great" Kyle Shanahan called a lousy game.

Also, although Ryan is a very good QB, his situational awareness left me cold. Third & 1 in FG range, he can not take a sack. He has to know that. No sack most likely = win.

The Atlanta defense stopped generating pressure on Brady. That was a nail in their coffin. They didn't make several plays on the ball that were given to them. Make any one of those and they win.

Their offense was a no-show for most of the second half. They needed a sustained drive. A FG anywhere in the second half and they win the game. They melt the clock more and they win the game.

Special teams? They kept catching the ball on the goal line or 1 and trying to return it. Usually to the 8 yard line. That's like taking an 17 yard penalty for stupidity's sake. Why? And one time the guy jogged straight out of bounds to stop the clock. WTF? Those 17 yards would have meant better field position and Brady would have to work several more plays to inch it down the field. Clock running. Time was on Atlanta's side.

Coaching? For the second time in 3 years, the Patriots were given a huge gift by idiotic decision making by the OC. I guess OCs in the NFL are scared shitless of Belichick "taking something away" from them. Julio Jones is the Falcons best player and it's not close. One doesn't just concede and say "Belichick outcoached me, darn" and not get the ball to your best player. It's the Super Bowl. You let your playmakers make the plays! If that's Julio Jones or Marshawn Lynch, you go with the bell cow. Don't overthink it. If one does and thinks getting the ball to the 5th or 6th option is going to "fool" somebody, he's only fooling himself. Playing into matchups that favor Billy B is exactly what he wants his opponent to do. And they do it over and over and over ...

In the tradition of "what happens now is always the best ever" some people might view this as a "greatest" comeback but in reality it's not even that close. :doh:

These kind of deficits are quite surmountable now.......25 unanswered points wouldn't be an epic comeback in the regular season any longer.

32 points is another story........but even now it's much easier to make up those points so eventually someone will surpass that in a regular season game, at least.

It's a different era........comebacks like the Bills against Houston essentially required astounding circumstances......passing the ball was much more difficult and TD's didn't count for 8 points :lol: ....... so 32 points was basically a 5 TD game.....or 4 TD + 2 FG game..........in today's game it's pretty easy for one team to run off 3 TD's and a FG in a quarter and a half the way the Pats did.

If this was 1993, the Pats would have needed 4 TD's to overcome a 25 point deficit.....even another FG would have only gotten them to 27 points........so the comeback most likely falls short MUCH SOONER on a fourth down on the drive where they kicked the FG or if not then most certainly after an onside kick at the end of the game.

I gotta' say though.....kudos to the NFL for the 2 point conversion........and probably the moved-back extra point(though I hate it right now because it plagues us)........they've changed the dynamic of many games by keeping them within reach.....and knowing that math the game was much more engaging because it was pretty easy to see how the Pats could come back.

In the tradition of "what happens now is always the best ever" some people might view this as a "greatest" comeback but in reality it's not even that close. :doh:

These kind of deficits are quite surmountable now.......25 unanswered points wouldn't be an epic comeback in the regular season any longer.

32 points is another story........but even now it's much easier to make up those points so eventually someone will surpass that in a regular season game, at least.

It's a different era........comebacks like the Bills against Houston essentially required astounding circumstances......passing the ball was much more difficult and TD's didn't count for 8 points :lol: ....... so 32 points was basically a 5 TD game.....or 4 TD + 2 FG game..........in today's game it's pretty easy for one team to run off 3 TD's and a FG in a quarter and a half the way the Pats did.

If this was 1993, the Pats would have needed 4 TD's to overcome a 25 point deficit.....even another FG would have only gotten them to 27 points........so the comeback most likely falls short MUCH SOONER on a fourth down on the drive where they kicked the FG or if not then most certainly after an onside kick at the end of the game.

I gotta' say though.....kudos to the NFL for the 2 point conversion........and probably the moved-back extra point(though I hate it right now because it plagues us)........they've changed the dynamic of many games by keeping them within reach.....and knowing that math the game was much more engaging because it was pretty easy to see how the Pats could come back.

Agreed about the last point. The game is much better because of the 2P conversion and the non-automatic XP.

And no 2pt. conversion was in place.

Cheaters would have lost back in 1993.

Was "the hustle" on?

Agreed about the last point. The game is much better because of the 2P conversion and the non-automatic XP.

A 25 point lead 25 years ago was a virtually insurmountable blowout and trying to get back into that game was surely just going to lead to turnovers.

That's why the Bills comeback was seen as such a "miracle".

There was nothing miraculous about last night. Edelman's catch was excellent but it wasn't 4th down......they were hot-kniving that tired defense at that point.

This year......we saw first hand the Bills leading 24-9 and giving up 29 unanswered points to the Raiders in the span of what 6 minutes(?) while only turning the ball over once. :lol:

Just a different game now........and yet STILL nobody else has comeback from 32 points down in any NFL game ever yet........that' why that game stands out as so crazy.

A 25 point lead 25 years ago was a virtually insurmountable blowout and trying to get back into that game was surely just going to lead to turnovers.

That's why the Bills comeback was seen as such a "miracle".

There was nothing miraculous about last night. Edelman's catch was excellent but it wasn't 4th down......they were hot-kniving that tired defense at that point.

This year......we saw first hand the Bills leading 24-9 and giving up 29 unanswered points to the Raiders in the span of what 6 minutes(?) while only turning the ball over once. :lol:

Just a different game now........and yet STILL nobody else has comeback from 32 points down in any NFL game ever yet........that' why that game stands out as so crazy.

And the Bills most likely would have lost today against Oilers.

Beebe stepped out of bounds.