Report: Browns will try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

YoloinOhio

Report: Browns will try to trade for Patriots backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-browns-will-try-to-trade-for-patriots-backup-qb-jimmy-garoppolo/

Worked well for the Chiefs with Cassel and the Texans with Hammer, I mean Mallet <----sarcasm

Also worked well for the Browns with RGIII

It's interesting how different teams look for QB. The Texans seem to always be looking through another team's scrap heap. The Browns now seem trending that way as well.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More "Patriot Way" stuff. It's very easy to get any player to take less money because they have the greatest QB to ever play, and thus can use "you want to win championships every year, sign with us" as the ultimate bargaining chip.

I'm sure every team would operate under this structure if they had the luxury of Tom Brady and all the extra perks it gets you, besides dominating in every facet of the conference for a generation. One would think the NFL would get involved at some point.

Not on the cheating, just on it's parity / self-imposed balancing. The Patriots are so good they blow away the argument that "any team can be successful" and "any team can beat any team" mantra they sell to its corporate sponsors and rabid ticket and merchandise buying fanbase. It's just simply not true. Parity does not exist with the Patriots in the AFC. They've made the conference title game 6 years in a row, an NFL record.

How the NFL could argue this is fair is beyond comprehension. They have a conference where 15 (!) teams are competing for 1 spot in the conference championship every year. Something must be done, whether with whole scale conference and divisional realignment, or instituting some sort of promotional/relegational conferencing system. It's just boring. It's not interesting for any football fan besides those living in Massachusetts.

Very well written post!. As a Pats fan I can't deny any of what you said as the number bare it out:

7 SB in 15 years (47% of the time)

11 AFCCG in 15 years (73% of the time)

14 out of 15 division titles (93% of the time)

Scary thing is for the AFC in the SB it has been primarily only Brady,Big Ben, and P Manning in the SB since 2005? I think only Flacco went one year. So while the Pats have dominated it's been pretty much controlled by 3 QBs (and 4 teams) for almost 12 years.

I don't see how you fix it until the last 2 retire in Big Ben and Brady.

More "Patriot Way" stuff. It's very easy to get any player to take less money because they have the greatest QB to ever play, and thus can use "you want to win championships every year, sign with us" as the ultimate bargaining chip.

I'm sure every team would operate under this structure if they had the luxury of Tom Brady and all the extra perks it gets you, besides dominating in every facet of the conference for a generation. One would think the NFL would get involved at some point.

Not on the cheating, just on it's parity / self-imposed balancing. The Patriots are so good they blow away the argument that "any team can be successful" and "any team can beat any team" mantra they sell to its corporate sponsors and rabid ticket and merchandise buying fanbase. It's just simply not true. Parity does not exist with the Patriots in the AFC. They've made the conference title game 6 years in a row, an NFL record.

How the NFL could argue this is fair is beyond comprehension. They have a conference where 15 (!) teams are competing for 1 spot in the conference championship every year. Something must be done, whether with whole scale conference and divisional realignment, or instituting some sort of promotional/relegational conferencing system. It's just boring. It's not interesting for any football fan besides those living in Massachusetts.

Peyton never left money on the table. Rodgers doesn't leave money on the table. Brees doesn't leave money on the table.....

Brady is a special case because he's not even the bread winner in his household, but it's no secret how big of an advantage his salary gives the Pats, yet no one else is copying it. It's not some special advantage based off selling winning (they have 1 SB win in a decade), it's because Brady is able and willing to do what other top QBs are not and that trickles through the organization.

And their team's are consistently high on that list, even in down years

I think his point was that everyone points to Cassel going 11-5 as a great accomplishment, but he had the same team pretty much that went 16-0. Oh and they had a very easy schedule to boot.

I think his point was that everyone points to Cassel going 11-5 as a great accomplishment, but he had the same team pretty much that went 16-0. Oh and they had a very easy schedule to boot.

Part of my point- that team is kept as a well-oiled machine. If one part breaks down, plug in another and you won't miss too much most of the time

Ok he is the Pats color Guy, so he has Pom Poms ok lol. I love Zoe he is hilarious on play by play..

Zolak and the cast of clowns are an embarrassment. Should have heard the foolish questions coming from Volin and Shaunnessey directed at Goodell. Jerry Sullivan has nothing on these guys. Petty little attempts intended to get Roger to mix his words. No one outside of NE cares about deflategate anymore. No one cares if he goes to Gillette for a game. If Roger goes to Gillette are they going to allow the crowd to be rowdy? I heard if you get rowdy down there they take away your seasons. That must explain the terrible game atmosphere coming out of that Mall oops I mean stadium.

Zolak and the cast of clowns are an embarrassment. Should have heard the foolish questions coming from Volin and Shaunnessey directed at Goodell. Jerry Sullivan has nothing on these guys. Petty little attempts intended to get Roger to mix his words. No one outside of NE cares about deflategate anymore. No one cares if he goes to Gillette for a game. If Roger goes to Gillette are they going to allow the crowd to be rowdy? I heard if you get rowdy down there they take away your seasons. That must explain the terrible game atmosphere coming out of that Mall oops I mean stadium.

Again Zoe is the color guy and has darker glasses on than even the most die hard fan. Most upnhere have moved on from deflategate.. (although It still ticks me off when I hear false statements like 11 out of 12 balls were 2 psi under the min.) but a few hold on and want make Goodell miserable. I just want that man fired for being incompetent!

I would be very leery of trading for Garropolo. Think about it - if NE thought he would be an upper eshelon QB, they would not trade him with a 39 year old Brady ahead of him. Certainly they would want more than 1 1st round pick for him if they were convinced he was going to be a star.

Again Zoe is the color guy and has darker glasses on than even the most die hard fan. Most upnhere have moved on from deflategate.. (although It still ticks me off when I hear false statements like 11 out of 12 balls were 2 psi under the min.) but a few hold on and want make Goodell miserable. I just want that man fired for being incompetent!

Fired for being incompetent? He does his jobs. He takes the heat for the Billionaires greedy decisions and has mastered saying nothing. I don't like him either but clearly he is doing his job well or they would have pushed him out by now. Look at all these franchises holding fans hostage for stadiums or relocating...he is doing his job to damn well. The NFL answers to no one and that's the problem, that comes from the owners,not the clown they trot out there with a big red nose so he can "answer" questions.

I'll readily admit that Belichick is the best in the business. But the way some on this board view him as a guy who never does anything wrong is incredibly annoying. He dumps guys like Jones and Collins not because they can't play, but because he doesn't want to pay them. His track record drafting WRs and RBs clearly shows the guy doesn't walk on water.

Jimmy G's contract status makes it incredibly difficult to keep him around as Brady's clip board holder in perpetuity, he's going to be a RFA after next season and will likely get a contract offer the Pats can't match. Money is the reason they moved on from Collins and Jones and it'll be the reason they move on from Jimmy too, not because BB is some grand wizard who knows he'll bust, but because of Brady's depressed cap number and the pending RFA status could very likely mean Jimmy is making more than Brady in 2018, which is a distraction the Pats aren't going to begin to entertain.

Because of money. Does it look like Brady has lost a step? I completely realize it could happen overnight, but it's also entirely possible given how seriously he takes conditioning and how he's rarely touched in their offensive scheme that he does play another 4 years. BB took Briskett in the 3rd round last year, he's clearly planning ahead for the reality that Jimmy won't be around long. Maybe Jimmy is a full blown "Patriots Way" koolaide drinker who'll gladly turn down an extra $10 mil a year and a guaranteed starting job to hold Tom's clip board for however long is needed, but I'm not betting on it. Jimmy's value will never be higher, BB will cash it in this offseason, and it's not because he doesn't believe in him, it's because it's the only logical move.

Yep

Better to try to trade for the hoodie or his spy.

The Browns blew it by not letting him cheat when he was the head coach there!

You know the last time the Browns made the playoffs? Yup under the Hoodie.. but alas that wasn't these Browns but the Ravens.

nah they made it in 2004.

Cut him some slack, he is a Pats fan. They are new to this NFL thing. They weren't around when Kelly Holcomb was a playoff QB.

it is not nice to pick on the mentally handicapped (fun but not nice).

If the Browns want to give away their picks, Whaley should fleece them for Manuel!

The Brown's GM is not a Tuel - he knows Manual is a FA since Bills did not pick up option on contract.

Actually everyone else seems to know that but maybe PatsFanNH.

it is not nice to pick on the mentally handicapped (fun but not nice).

The Brown's GM is not a Tuel - he knows Manual is a FA since Bills did not pick up option on contract.

Actually everyone else seems to know that but maybe PatsFanNH.

Haha, yeah, I was mostly joking. But they did trade a 4th rounder to the Patriots for Jamie Collins and he was a free agent. I think they were like 0-8 at the time? Someone should tell them to snatch Manuel up before he hits the market! :lol:

(Nothing against Manuel, more against the Browns wasting the plethora of picks they've had over the last several years)

Cut him some slack, he is a Pats fan. They are new to this NFL thing. They weren't around when Kelly Holcomb was a playoff QB.

I just don't remember them being in the playoffs that year..lol

Not like 2004 was before the Empire or something, I would think a bill fan would remember the exact time the. Eat down began. 😜

Edited by PatsFanNH

Please tell me someone heard that moron Zolak on Murphy's show today say that the price for Garappolo STARTS at a 1st and a 2nd? :o

They can ask.

I can't imagine anybody actually paying that, though.

But that's what you're supposed to do when selling. Start high.

Edited by Thurman#1

I agree Brissett is not the next Pats QB. However, I firmly believe Garapolo trade nets a first rounder and more.

I'd agree. Browns have an extra one and like I said above they just traded a 4th (conditional 3rd) for Jamie Collins who needed to be signed to a contract still because he was going to be a free agent.

Why wouldn't they pay more for their perceived QB of the future? Why would the Pats take less?

I'd agree. Browns have an extra one and like I said above they just traded a 4th (conditional 3rd) for Jamie Collins who needed to be signed to a contract still because he was going to be a free agent.

Why wouldn't they pay more for their perceived QB of the future? Why would the Pats take less?

The Browns have signed Collins to a 4 year extension already. The Pats will get the Browns 3rd round comp pick for him. The Browns have picks 1, 12, 33, 52 & 65 through the first three rounds. If they do offer anything for JG it won't include a first.

Who was the last career backup QB who was traded for a 1st round pick?

I'd much rather give up a 1st and 3rd for garapolo then draft any QB in the first round this year. Next years QB crop is debatable if it going to be better than Garapolo. Heck, maybe the Bills should try to get him.

Rob Johnson says hi.

Because Tom aint slowin down anytime soon like they thought he would.

The NFL is crawling with 40+ year old Super Bowl winning, hall of fame caliber QBs. Nothing unusual about that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot