Dear Jerry

CanadianFan

The two things that define a team are the coaching (HC responsibility) and the roster (GM responsibility).

The Bills have been roughly a .500 team.

If the HC and GM were both bad, we'd be a below .500 team. If the both the roster and coaching is bad, you don't win half your games. When good and bad are in equal balance, you hit .500. Bad coaching + good roster = .500.

If we all agree that the HC was poor last year, then we kind of have to conclude the roster was good. And that's to Whaley's credit. However bad you thought Rex was, that's how good Whaley was. The accountability balances.

While I still regret letting Hogan go, every GM makes mistakes. The decision on one guy doesn't define a GM. Overall, Whaley gave Rex a decent roster and he did little with it. Now McDermott is getting a decent roster, we'll see if he does better. If he doesn't, we might start to wonder if we've been blaming the wrong guy. In any case, with Whaley in charge of both the roster and the coach, it's now all on him.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Considering Hogans receptions and TDs mirrored his last season in Buffalo, not sure what the big deal is here.

Hogan is a talented receiver. But he isn't a game changer. If he was then his stats would have jumped dramatically having Tom Brady throwing to him vs TT. They didn't.

8 of the 14 games Hogan started this season he had 27 or less yards in receiving. Six of those games he had one or no receptions. He only had two games of over 100 receiving yards, with a 63 yard reception in one game and a 79 yard reception in the other.

Not sure that's worth $4 mil per season.

Brady is a master at finding the open receiver. Last week that was Hogan. Some will make more of it, especially BN writers who have an axe to grind with Whaley.

Hogan wouldn't have changed this seasons results. Nor would a couple good playoff games justify spending $4 million on him.

Im happy Hogan is tasting success since he's a good guy. I'm not regretting letting him go.

Edited by dezertbill

That was Hogan's biggest game as a Patriot because that's how the Pats gameplan. Take their least used player and make them the focus. That's why Hogan was so wide open. The Steelers never imagined he'd be the guy, because he never was before. It would be like making Walt Powell the guy in a Bills game.

Yup. Plus the steelers secondary is awful and really hasn't recovered from Polamalu retiring. Most of Hogans stuff was blown coverage. I still think Tomlin is overrated as a game coach.

In other news, Jerry's articles continue to generate outrage and discussion, so the hack wins again.

Congrats to Chris Hogan. The kid worked his ass off and put himself in a position to have a career game on the second biggest stage.

This constant bemoaning of how his success makes the Bills look bad is just a continuation of the sad, pitiful insecurity displayed by Bills fans. It's childish and their patron saint Sully is always there to feed it.

Yup. Plus the steelers secondary is awful and really hasn't recovered from Polamalu retiring. Most of Hogans stuff was blown coverage. I still think Tomlin is overrated as a game coach.

In other news, Jerry's articles continue to generate outrage and discussion, so the hack wins again.

Outrage and discussion don't mean **** if you never click his links or purchase copies of his newspaper. I highly recommend both.

Edited by The Big Cat

Maybe next time use your eyes.

And this is why you're the worst. You come in and try to be snarky and dance around a point just for the sake of antagonizing someone, and then double down on it, forcing them to take your emptiness apart thusly:

It's really simple.

Bills had crappy WR's for most of the year. A healthy Sammy and serviceable Woods is all the pass game really needed so long as Clay was involved and Shady was catching passes, given our high volume of run plays. This really can't be disputed, thus making Hogan a luxury to have. Otherwise, it's hindsight, after all the injuries, so bravo. There was clamoring galore that the Bills in the 2016 offseason needed to target a "true no. 2" This insistence was repeatedly met with two things: a request to define what a "true no. 2" receiver is and what its relevance would be to an offense that runs the ball more than any other team in the league and already has a "true no. 1" a pass catching te and a pass catching rb. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

They let a WR go for $700k and no compensation This is entirely false and misleading. He was a restricted free agent, they would have had to match the 3 year $12M the pats* offered. https://goo.gl/Re5EVJ Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

Said WR puts up numbers that would've led the team, both in yards and TD's...with Tom Brady throwing him the ball in an offense that didn't skew nearly heavily toward the run game as the Bills' Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

Said WR puts up a record-shattering playoff game performance in the second biggest stage in the NFL and almost singlehandedly wins them the game (as singlehandedly as any WR can win one, obviously the QB needs to throw it) Still no explanation as to how a single game performance in a divisional playoff game with Tom Brady at quarterback is in any way relevant to how his production in Buffalo would have panned out during the regular season. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

And he does this all with a division rival that has buried us for almost 20 years. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

If you think anyone is going to "shut up" about that, you're delusional. No, I think everyone should STFU about it because they need to resort to convoluted nonsense to make the point (see above). Pretty clear where the delusion is in an argument that grafts stats accumulated in a home playoff game with Tom Brady throwing the ball onto the 2016 Bills offense.

And this is why you're the worst. You come in and try to be snarky and dance around a point just for the sake of antagonizing someone, and then double down on it, forcing them to take your emptiness apart thusly:

I hate the way you formatted your post. Very tough to respond to.

A healthy Sammy and serviceable Woods is all the pass game really needed so long as Clay was involved and Shady was catching passes, given our high volume of run plays. This really can't be disputed, thus making Hogan a luxury to have. Otherwise, it's hindsight, after all the injuries, so bravo. There was clamoring galore that the Bills in the 2016 offseason needed to target a "true no. 2" This insistence was repeatedly met with two things: a request to define what a "true no. 2" receiver is and what its relevance would be to an offense that runs the ball more than any other team in the league and already has a "true no. 1" a pass catching te and a pass catching rb. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

Sammy wasn't healthy, dunce. Clay barely got involved the year before, but of course we banked on that.

They let a WR go for $700k and no compensation This is entirely false and misleading. He was a restricted free agent, they would have had to match the 3 year $12M the pats* offered. https://goo.gl/Re5EVJ Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

If the Pats had tried to sign him away with a higher tender (which would've cost $700k more for the Bills), we would've gotten a second round pick if we didn't match their contract. Dunce.

Said WR puts up numbers that would've led the team, both in yards and TD's...with Tom Brady throwing him the ball in an offense that didn't skew nearly heavily toward the run game as the Bills' Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

He still outperformed every single WR on our team. Dunce.

Said WR puts up a record-shattering playoff game performance in the second biggest stage in the NFL and almost singlehandedly wins them the game (as singlehandedly as any WR can win one, obviously the QB needs to throw it) Still no explanation as to how a single game performance in a divisional playoff game with Tom Brady at quarterback is in any way relevant to how his production in Buffalo would have panned out during the regular season. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

What explanation is necessary? He had a big game for a division rival. It doesn't have to speak to anything he'd do in Buffalo to sting. Dunce.

And he does this all with a division rival that has buried us for almost 20 years. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

See above. Dunce.

If you think anyone is going to "shut up" about that, you're delusional. No, I think everyone should STFU about it because they need to resort to convoluted nonsense to make the point (see above). Pretty clear where the delusion is in an argument that grafts stats accumulated in a home playoff game with Tom Brady throwing the ball onto the 2016 Bills offense.

Whether or not Hogan would've had as good of a year on the Bills has no bearing on the fact that it sucks that he's playing well for a division rival, a team that most Bills fans hate with a burning passion, which makes it a story and something to talk about, whether you like it or not. Dunce.

I dunno, I'm inclined to give the guy a break. Covering the Bills for the last 17 years has to be like covering the "Red Wedding" episode of Game of Thrones over and over and over. They guy has to find new stuff to write about but never has any new plot threads to unwind. It's a reach to say that the Bills should regret Hogan's departure base on one playoff performance, sure, but what more is there to say that hasn't been said at some point since 2000?

Edited by Gale Gilbert

I hate the way you formatted your post. Very tough to respond to.

A healthy Sammy and serviceable Woods is all the pass game really needed so long as Clay was involved and Shady was catching passes, given our high volume of run plays. This really can't be disputed, thus making Hogan a luxury to have. Otherwise, it's hindsight, after all the injuries, so bravo. There was clamoring galore that the Bills in the 2016 offseason needed to target a "true no. 2" This insistence was repeatedly met with two things: a request to define what a "true no. 2" receiver is and what its relevance would be to an offense that runs the ball more than any other team in the league and already has a "true no. 1" a pass catching te and a pass catching rb. Your point here is a zero, just more antagonism for antagonism's sake, because that's all you're good for.

Sammy wasn't healthy, dunce. Clay barely got involved the year before, but of course we banked on that.

If the Pats had tried to sign him away with a higher tender (which would've cost $700k more for the Bills), we would've gotten a second round pick if we didn't match their contract. Dunce.

He still outperformed every single WR on our team. Dunce.

What explanation is necessary? He had a big game for a division rival. It doesn't have to speak to anything he'd do in Buffalo to sting. Dunce.

See above. Dunce.

Whether or not Hogan would've had as good of a year on the Bills has no bearing on the fact that it sucks that he's playing well for a division rival, a team that most Bills fans hate with a burning passion, which makes it a story and something to talk about, whether you like it or not. Dunce.

Nice life.

That was Hogan's biggest game as a Patriot because that's how the Pats gameplan. Take their least used player and make them the focus. That's why Hogan was so wide open. The Steelers never imagined he'd be the guy, because he never was before. It would be like making Walt Powell the guy in a Bills game.

good take- first time you made me laugh too

I dunno, I'm inclined to give the guy a break. Covering the Bills for the last 17 years has to be like covering the "Red Wedding" episode of Game of Thrones over and over and over. They guy has to find new stuff to write about but never has any new plot threads to unwind. It's a reach to say that the Bills should regret Hogan's departure base on one playoff performance, sure, but what more is there to say that hasn't been said at some point since 2000?

good perspective. Ok I'll pity the guy. Or not! I recall a WGR talk show recently where the hosts said it's easier as a sports journalist to cover bad teams bec. there's more to talk about than good teams. So Jerry, get CREATIVE!

Hogan's best year in BUF:

41 catches 426 yards 4 TD's

Hogan's breakout season in NE:

38 catches 680 yards 4 TD's

Can we please STFU about Chris !@#$ing Hogan, the guy who was cut by four !@#$ing teams before we decided that the statline above qualified him for a scholarship at Hogwarts?

LOLOL this was hilaroius!

IMHO there's no question that the Bills would have had a better roster at WR if they'd have kept Hogan.

OTOH, if the Bills had given Hogan a higher tender or if they'd matched the Pats $5M offer, we just know there would have been a column about the Bills overspending for a mediocre WR who drops critical balls.

EXACTLY! THAT!!!

Edited by CanadianFan

I think Walt was the guy for the Bills in a couple games this injury-plagued WR year. :doh:

But seriously, Walt Powell just frickin' sucks at football and Hogan is pretty solid and has size and was a very nice downfield playmaker here.

He's a good #3 WR and should have been easily replaceable but they just WHIFFED completely a pile of dumpster divas that they hoped would fill those WR positions last offseason.

Funny he had better numbers in Buffalo...Yeah, he really turned into a number one WR in New England, lol...I mean Brady makes anyone look twice as good as they are

This. I'm not a Sully hater, but this is like shooting fish in a barrel. Brady could throw me open....you too.

Wait a minute!

You may be on to something!

I hadn't realized you thought then and now that Chris Hogan would have solved all the Bills' problems in 2016.

Tell me more about why you mentioned his franchise record in response to the middling numbers he put up over the course of the season. Couldn't help but notice you strayed from that assertion.

Hey, Whaley doubled down for Sammy! Guess he thought a WR would solve all our problems too!

Stop reading them. If no one clicked, he's be fired. But the haters read his crap more than the people that think he's ok. I haven't read one of his articles in a couple years now. #stopclicking

lol ur right. I unlinked it. Time to send him to Florida.

Its amazing how few people around here understand this part of BB genius given how often we all get to watch him do this. Very good post sir and 100% spot on.

After living in a few cities and checking out their newspapers, I really like the Buffalo News. But the sports writers give more opinions than they actually do any informative articles.

It's a good and bad thing about Buffalo. Good: Bills obsession means more sports reporters/columnists devoted to the Bills than you'll find in any other city's newspaper(s). Bad: so many reporters/columnists chasing the same few stories/themes = lots of recycled junk.

good perspective. Ok I'll pity the guy. Or not! I recall a WGR talk show recently where the hosts said it's easier as a sports journalist to cover bad teams bec. there's more to talk about than good teams. So Jerry, get CREATIVE!

Sully always claims his mailbag column gets more questions when the Bills are going bad. I don't get it. When the Bills are going bad, I really am not going to be more interested.

Stop reading them. If no one clicked, he's be fired. But the haters read his crap more than the people that think he's ok. I haven't read one of his articles in a couple years now. #stopclicking

He'll never get fired because of the union.

It's really simple.

Bills had crappy WR's for most of the year.

They let a WR go for $700k and no compensation

Said WR puts up numbers that would've led the team, both in yards and TD's.

Said WR puts up a record-shattering playoff game performance in the second biggest stage in the NFL and almost singlehandedly wins them the game (as singlehandedly as any WR can win one, obviously the QB needs to throw it)

And he does this all with a division rival that has buried us for almost 20 years.

If you think anyone is going to "shut up" about that, you're delusional.

What's delusional is not acknowledging a key fact. if Hogan had been tendered at a number requiring compensation of a second round pick to the Bills, he'd still be in Buffalo as no one ( particularly the Pats) would give that up. They would merely have signed a different player. It's also likely they would have gotten similar production out of said player. Hogan didn't do anything remarkable to get open. PIT secondary made huge gaffes and TB made them pay. So what? He could do that with any number of players at WR. But continuing to act like the Bills cost themselves a 2nd round pick is silly. No team was going to pay that. His best attribute as a FA was being available.

Its amazing how few people around here understand this part of BB genius given how often we all get to watch him do this. Very good post sir and 100% spot on.

Except he doesn't run the offense.

I've had beef w/ Sullivan plenty of times over the years, but this isn't one of them. Hogan is having a really good season. It wasn't just one game. He had 95 yards receiving in the Pats first playoff game. As was pointed out in the article, he had more receiving yards this year than any Bills player. Of course, Brady is the key, no one is denying that. But plenty of wideouts have played with Brady without putting up close to 300 yards and two TDs in two playoff games. Given how thin we were at WR this year, letting Hogan walk WAS a bad move. Jerry Sullivan is a dope but he's not the problem. Doug Whaley GTFO

Sorry but Im not losing sleep over 38 catches for 680 yards and four tds when Brady is your qb and Garapollo looked like Brady Jr when Brady was out.

Sullivan: "Mission accomplished."

I just don't understand why people take him seriously.

His entire job description boils down to authoring articles criticizing everything the about local sports team in retrospect he possibly can.

Here is what isn't:

- fairness

- levity

- benefit of doubt

- empathy

- strict interpretation of facts

- genuineness

- consistency

- positivity

- problem solvin

- prediction

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

TBN Jerry Sullivan: hogan-emergence-crowning-insult-bills (unlinked on purpose!)

Hogan's "emergence"? Honestly? One freak playoff game and Jerry's calling him the next coming of Jerry Rice? "crowning insult"? Did the Pats steal the Superbowl appearance from the Bills because they took this WR from them? Oh yeah, that's a no Jerry. "N" "O" Jerry, put it together. This was no robbery.

Sullivan should be FIRED. He has no JUDGEMENT. Was Hogan even worthy of consideration as a pro-bowl alternate? And who got a pro-bowl start? Lorenzo Alexander. Are raiders nation crying about it? Cardinals? Or the perpetually mediocre despite the dollars spent Washington Redskins? Do you think they'd love to have the tackles and sacks LA had this past year? How about Jerry Hughes? Are Pats lamenting the loss of this talent? Heck no.

Hogan is a marginal talent at best. On a team that's known for not paying for talent (see Jamie Collins) Hogan's production this past year must be a disappointment for the dollars they paid him - 6th highest paid Pat in terms of cap. 38 balls for 680 yards, in a year when Gronk was missing most of the season. That's 15% of total receiving production. Or 11% of total offensive production. and you gave your 6th highest salary for this? Ouch! For a stingy team this has to hurt.

Heck any turtle with hands would have caught the 40 balls Hogan caught from Brady. Heck Jerry (Sullivan, not Rice) could have caught those 40 balls. So this was a win Jerry. We shafted Pats by forcing them to pay for Hogan.

Honestly, in a season of near-miss disappointments, Hogan was the least of the issues.

And oh yeah, Jerry, Hogan's old news. That was a week ago Jerry. Might as well have been last century.

Get over it Jerry. Time to move on. Hogan's a marginal talent. Players like him come and go faster than sailors making port calls in the NFL. I had to go dig up that analogy from 19th century you ancient anachronism. That ship's sailed. Got that one Jerry?

Cheers!

nice

What's delusional is not acknowledging a key fact. if Hogan had been tendered at a number requiring compensation of a second round pick to the Bills, he'd still be in Buffalo as no one ( particularly the Pats) would give that up. They would merely have signed a different player. It's also likely they would have gotten similar production out of said player. Hogan didn't do anything remarkable to get open. PIT secondary made huge gaffes and TB made them pay. So what? He could do that with any number of players at WR. But continuing to act like the Bills cost themselves a 2nd round pick is silly. No team was going to pay that. His best attribute as a FA was being available.

Except he doesn't run the offense.

I think BB's offensive contributions are underestimated because of his defensive background.

At Cleveland BB didn't have a OC. He claimed the O was run by committee but the reality was that he was the acting OC.

Just look at the continuity on the offensive side of the ball in New England. OCs come and go but the offensive philosophy remains the same. That's BB.

I think BB's offensive contributions are underestimated because of his defensive background.

At Cleveland BB didn't have a OC. He claimed the O was run by committee but the reality was that he was the acting OC.

Just look at the continuity on the offensive side of the ball in New England. OCs come and go but the offensive philosophy remains the same. That's BB.

Umm Weis,McDaniels, O'brien, then McDaniels again.. only been 3.

On D I THINK it's roughly the same.. Romeo, Mangini, (no one), Patricia.

What continuity on offense? They won their first super bowls with a screen game and run heavy ball control offense, then picked up Moss and Welker and broke passing records. When Moss reached the end of his term and Welker was in decline we saw the two tight end sets that ripped the league a new one. And when one of those tight ends went to prison on a life sentence and the other one broke down, we get the all honkey quick timing, pick play offense with underinflated balls and illegal substitutions.

Their current offense looks nothing like the schemes that won in 2001. In fact, their offense looks radically different week to week these days. Its opponent specific. The only constant is efficiency and wins.

Yes , BB retains staff that will run the same offense when others have left. That continuity has been no small part of the success. He should get credit for knowing that continuing the same successful system as opposed to installing a new one when an assistant departs is probably a good thing. But he doesn't run the offense.

I've had beef w/ Sullivan plenty of times over the years, but this isn't one of them. Hogan is having a really good season. It wasn't just one game. He had 95 yards receiving in the Pats first playoff game. As was pointed out in the article, he had more receiving yards this year than any Bills player. Of course, Brady is the key, no one is denying that. But plenty of wideouts have played with Brady without putting up close to 300 yards and two TDs in two playoff games. Given how thin we were at WR this year, letting Hogan walk WAS a bad move. Jerry Sullivan is a dope but he's not the problem. Doug Whaley GTFO

He had 38 catches this season. His last two years in Buff he had 36 and 41. Can we stop making Hogan out to be the second coming. He's okay. Not a huge loss in the grand scheme. And not worth, to the Bills, the contract New England gave him.