Pegulas reportedly expressed remorse for benching Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they don't think they should have told him to bench him. But rather that they should have given the decision to Lynn. Sounds to me like Lynn not happy with the decision made for week 17.

I don't read much into it for what it means next year. If they aren't keeping taylor and lynn is offered and wants the job,he will have to accept that. Unless he truly has a say in the decision.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Winning that game does nothing to help the team, but there were several things that could help the team by benching him. So benching him was absolutely the right decision. He had a groin injury. They needed to evaluate EJ. The game was essentially a preseason game. The only reason to play him is if he was within reach of meeting some performance-based bonus. If Lynn or Tyrod can't understand that, then i'm not sure what it says about them.

Jones is not exposed. He is still developing. Of course EJ is completely developed if not over exposed.

Way to early to make the call on Cardale.

Cardale's going to be the starter next year. I guarantee it.

They're just mad they can't sell him as "Tyrod II" now since he looked like trash in the final game.

I saw a guy that decides a covered WR is open in Jones.

Winning that game does nothing to help the team, but there were several things that could help the team by benching him. So benching him was absolutely the right decision. He had a groin injury. They needed to evaluate EJ. The game was essentially a preseason game. The only reason to play him is if he was within reach of meeting some performance-based bonus. If Lynn or Tyrod can't understand that, then i'm not sure what it says about them.

Agree.....except. I think Lynn just wanted to win. As it is he needs to win one to be .500 now

Sounds like they don't think they should have told him to bench him. But rather that they should have given the decision to Lynn. Sounds to me like Lynn not happy with the decision made for week 17.

I don't read much into it for what it means next year. If they aren't keeping taylor and lynn is offered and wants the job,he will have to accept that. Unless he truly has a say in the decision.

It shouldn't have been lynns decision there.

Though I think Lynn should agree with it if we are to seriously consider him

AL gets his first crack at head coach and they took away his QB and saddled him with a guy who is extremely limited. The Pegula's have done the right thing in expressing remorse to AL. They basically stuck him with an embarrassing loss on his resume. That being said, They can finally cut the cord on EJ thanks to that performance and they get a better draft position. It's past history, move on. I'd be perfectly fine with an Lynn/ Gus Bradley coaching ticket and retaining Tyrod as QB in 2017. No reason they can't still draft a QB and develop Cardale simultaneously

Groin surgery is bs then ?

Fake Instagram pic ?

The staff indicated TT could have played the Jets game and would have if it mattered towards a playoff berth. Surgery is cleaning up a lingering issue that would not have shelved Tyrod for week 17.

AL gets his first crack at head coach and they took away his QB and saddled him with a guy who is extremely limited. The Pegula's have done the right thing in expressing remorse to AL. They basically stuck him with an embarrassing loss on his resume. That being said, They can finally cut the cord on EJ thanks to that performance and they get a better draft position. It's past history, move on. I'd be perfectly fine with an Lynn/ Gus Bradley coaching ticket and retaining Tyrod as QB in 2017. No reason they can't still draft a QB and develop Cardale simultaneously

I agree, well stated.

Remorse? That's a poor choice of words. Who the heck wrote that?

Seems like a proper choice of words. They made a decision for him that he wouldn't have made and now they are being painted by some as meddling owners and there may have been repercussions for Lynn's bid to be a HC as well.

The Bills and Steelers both scored 399 points but Tyrod's the "problem"

You act as if there's only one reason a team fails. TT wasn't THE problem, but his lack of moving the chains and putting the ball in the end zone when we needed it most was A problem. Yes, the defense was a bigger problem, but that doesn't mean tyrods failures in the 4th quarter should get a pass. He failed multiple times with the game on the line.

Now, does that mean we should cut him? I don't know. Whoever we replace him with would likely be a lesser qb going into next year, but paying a mediocre qb 20 mill a year may be a mistake. Tough decisions on the horizon

Seems like a proper choice of words. They made a decision for him that he wouldn't have made and now they are being painted by some as meddling owners and there may have been repercussions for Lynn's bid to be a HC as well.

You might apologize to him for forcing EJ on him, you may tell him that you're sorry you made the decision for him...you save remose for life and death situations. Poor choice of words.

Also...how is the quote substantiated? Unnamed source?

Edited by Cripple Creek

@rapsheet

On #Bills search: Owners expressed remorse to interim coach Anthony Lynn for telling him to bench Tyrod Taylor in Week 17. Lynn likes Taylor

Lynn should like Taylor. 7th most points in the league after his last start. Key reason why we led the league in rushing. Doesnt turn the ball over. Rarely gives the opposing team a short field with a turnover in his own end. Gonna be one of the stupidest decisions in bills history when they cut him loose. Final nail in Whaleys coffin. Edited by TANK2

The Bills and Steelers both scored 399 points but Tyrod's the "problem"

But they scored many of those 399 b/c of our strong defense. Yes, that was sarcasm.

IMHO, Tyrod's option should be picked up unless they move up to draft Kiser or Turbisky or draft Watson (whenever they determine they need to get him). The BOTTOMLINE is that they MUST get one of those 3 in the draft and start them in 2017, IMHO.

Romo (too old), Mahommes (too much of a project from what I have heard but I guess he is the last draft possibility).

In order to not pickup the Tyrod option, Whaley will have to be bold and likely do what the Rams and Eagles did last year. That goes along with his MO for trading....time to for a QB now!!

Edited by TDRupp

I'd prefer they learn from Kraft, Mara, and Rooney and hire someone to make their product work while they just rub elbows with the other owners.

Yep, but they want so desperately to be involved. If you look around sports the best owners defer to the people that they hired to run the team. They have to want to do that though.

You act as if there's only one reason a team fails. TT wasn't THE problem, but his lack of moving the chains and putting the ball in the end zone when we needed it most was A problem. Yes, the defense was a bigger problem, but that doesn't mean tyrods failures in the 4th quarter should get a pass. He failed multiple times with the game on the line.

Now, does that mean we should cut him? I don't know. Whoever we replace him with would likely be a lesser qb going into next year, but paying a mediocre qb 20 mill a year may be a mistake. Tough decisions on the horizon

Ahhh......... 399 points is not failing to move the offense.....the chains moved plenty this year. That is 25 points a game....with a bad D that got very few turnovers.

I could see apologizing for taking over the decision - Lynn may justly feel "if I'm going to coach here, I feel the decision is mine in concert with medical staff, not yours or Whaley's, so how will it be going forward?" "Yeah, we didn't handle that well at all, you should have been in on the full discussion, and we give you our word if you coach here you will be".

But for the decision itself, I think it was the right decision and should not be apologized for, and I feel the coach does need to take organizational needs into account once the playoffs are out of the picture, and not just be all Frank Sinatra all the time no matter what.

And I think "remorse" is the wrong thing to express.

This is the one spot most agree someone needed to make the long term decision -- no ones calling them meddling for the TT choice that I've really seen. It's about the Rex hire.

I think they're unhappy that EJ and Cardale got exposed and now the fanbase will be unhappy going into next year

The fanbase saw the future. It was not bright.

Except that EJ is in no way thought of as " the future" and Cardale is a multi year project. Otherwise, spot on.

Could be trying to allay questions from HC candidates about the Taylor benching. I'm sure all of them want assurances that such things wouldn't happen if they were to become HC here. Every win is precious to an NFL HC. Even a loss that helps or protects the organization. Even a loss the last game of a lost season. That L still goes on the coach's record and resume. It's still a loss for the coaches and his players. While I agree that benching Taylor was necessary to protect the team, it's something that needs to be appropriately addressed with candidates.

Except that EJ is in no way thought of as " the future" and Cardale is a multi year project. Otherwise, spot on.

Exposed for next season. But maybe to the fans and the team such that they need to do something.

Edited by jethro_tull

This is the one spot most agree someone needed to make the long term decision -- no ones calling them meddling for the TT choice that I've really seen. It's about the Rex hire.

I think both the benching and the Rex hire are factors. There weren't many people saying they were meddling until the firing and subsequent benching. With their PA ties, I kind of hope they reach out to the Rooneys for advice on moving forward.

Could be trying to allay questions from HC candidates about the Taylor benching. I'm sure all of them want assurances that such things wouldn't happen if they were to become HC here. Every win is precious to an NFL HC. Even a loss that helps or protects the organization. Even a loss the last game of a lost season. That L still goes on the coach's record and resume. It's still a loss for the coaches and his players. While I agree that benching Taylor was necessary to protect the team, it's something that needs to be appropriately addressed with candidates.

Dramatic. No coaches resume is tarnished by that game.

The Pegulas need to stop listening to WGR in regards to how to run their football team.

This. Is anyone else doubly sick over the recent reports about the Bills?

1) Bills not taking care of business in a best-managed way

2) Constant leaks to the media are just not how a well-managed, professional organization ought to run