I was wrong, and I don't mind saying it..

D521646

Please find a post where I even came close to saying Rex was awesome. You won't because they don't exist. But that is your go to move when people offer a more nuanced analysis of the situation than just the tired "the 46 is antiquated" or "nobody runs a 2 gap 34" arguments that aren't supported by closer scrutiny. And that's been my only point in this thread but you insist on seeing it as a defense of Ryan when it's just a clarification of mistaken information.

I don't think you'll feel better until Rex is fired.

I don't know how many more ways I can say I don't disagree as I've said the defense sucks. I just want to be clear on why. It starts with Rex, but it certainly doesn't end with the "46" and "two gap." Personally, I think we have a huge personnel issue at the moment. That's not a defense of Rex either, by the way. Just an observation.

They sucked big time on TNF. In Baltimore, they gave up 13 points. Anytime a defense in the league gives up that few, it should result in a win. Unfortunately, the offense did virtually nothing that day, mostly due to Tyrod.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please find a post where I even came close to saying Rex was awesome. You won't because they don't exist. But that is your go to move when people offer a more nuanced analysis of the situation than just the tired "the 46 is antiquated" or "nobody runs a 2 gap 34" arguments that aren't supported by closer scrutiny. And that's been my only point in this thread but you insist on seeing it as a defense of Ryan when it's just a clarification of mistaken information.

I don't think you'll feel better until Rex is fired.

I don't know how many more ways I can say I don't disagree as I've said the defense sucks. I just want to be clear on why. It starts with Rex, but it certainly doesn't end with the "46" and "two gap." Personally, I think we have a huge personnel issue at the moment. That's not a defense of Rex either, by the way. Just an observation.

oh sorry. I didn't mean to infer you were disagreeing. I was going along with your statements that the name doesn't matter. Its results

Dareus is arguably the best player on the team. That hasn't been brought up a whole lot now that the Rex Sux Crusade is back in full force.

I'm sure Rex brings it up to his boss all the time. No worries, that excuse will fit on the pitchfork and roast in the fire as soon as they go 0-5...

But please big cat, this isn't a crusade. This is the reaction of a fanbase that knows too well what a dead man walking who is over his head looks like. We have vast experience in that category...

Maybe wrecks fixes this and builds a winner. he's certainly taken over a winner and eroded it to less, so if you are into regression to the mean, he's due... And so is his antiquated 'scheme'

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

oh sorry. I didn't mean to infer you were disagreeing. I was going along with your statements that the name doesn't matter. Its results

No worries.

A clusterphuck is still a clusterphuck by any other name. And right now, we are a clusterphuck on both sides of the ball.

No worries.

A clusterphuck is still a clusterphuck by any other name. And right now, we are a clusterphuck on both sides of the ball.

you will appreciate this. Others too

Rex got great safety play out of the likes of Leonhard and other middle of the road safeties. Are ours so bad? Graham, Williams and duke can generally cover better than any jets safety of recent

What once was novel is becoming predictable. Coaches will challenge man coverage by the CBs when they are giving up 4 to 6 inches in height. 50 50 balls against gilmore and darby. Good odds for the offense. Shame on Rex.

I think you raise a good point about mismatches and yet last year the Jets had comparatively little success against that same man coverage when Fitz wasn't having the game of his career. Sometimes you gotta tip your hat to the other guy.

Ok, upon some reflection, I was wrong about Rex Ryan. I thought his 46 defense would work here, I am on record saying so, and I was wrong. No one in the NFL is running this defense anymore as it's geared to stopping the run in a run heavy climate. The NFL isn't that way anymore. Looking at the running yards on average this year, teams are not relying on it, period. This antiquated 46 defense needs to go. I was also wrong about The Eagles and Carson Wentz. Kid looks legit, and Doug Pederson along with Jim Schwartz have that team clicking with the wide-9. Interesting and frustrating at the same time watching Bradham, and Brooks steal the show last night. I thought both of them had outstanding games.

I'm done with Rex Ryan's bravado, and excuses. Time to put up or shut the !@#$ up, Rex. I was willing to give Rex the benefit of doubt as I thought he was nullified in NJ, but it is becoming clear that, although players seems to like playing for him, they don't actually "Play" for him, or can't. I'm not sure which is more true, but his defense sucks, and our team cannot for whatever reason execute. He says he learned from past mistakes, but judging by the first two games he doesn't seem to get the fact that his defense doesn't work any longer.

I was also wrong about Taylor. I thought he would make a huge leap this year. I thought the game would slow down for him, and he'd be more aware in the pocket, and find his open guys. The All-22 says otherwise, he's still missing wide open targets, and cannot for the life of me adjust to pre-snap reads. My God, even Wentz last night was making changes at the LOS, and he's a god damn rookie. Now, I'm not totally giving up on TT, I think, or at least my intuition is that Roman had him on lock down, and he wasn't allowed to audible. We'll see this week, but if he continues to rely on the deep ball, and fails to throw the intermediate, and over the middle balls, Roman wasn't the problem, it's him.

I am not looking forward to Sunday, I just don't see how we win that game, but I am hopeful, as I always am that this team will finally turn the corner. I just don't think it's going to be this year, and until Rex Ryan shows me otherwise, I don't see it with him as the head coach.

Go Bills!

Tim-

Seeing Wentz call out the mike LB, making audibles really made me look at Roman and TT like WTF breh?? He gotta learn how to read the defense, call audibles, and run plays from under center, we ran the pistol formation WAYYYYY too often and it became predictable. In the next 4 weeks we are gonna find out a lot about Tyrod Taylor. Im pullin for em.

i know every team deals with injuries, but we are down 2 very important pieces(Dareus & Lawson), our 2 top tiered draft picks are injured, teams need time to heal those wounds, and training camp just doesn't cut it, I hate to throw out 4 games, but once Dareus is back i think we will see a marked improvement(not saying he's superman, but he is a very very important part of this overall scheme)

Not blaming the coaching for this, but we have no idea when Dareus is coming out of rehab and what kind of shape he will be in when he does. He isn't a known workout fanatic and even if he is in shape he won't have practiced.

Lawson: if he comes back this year, I would not expect much. He needs to strengthen his surgically repaired shoulder to NFL level and he hasn't been through training camp or any of the season. I would not judge him on anything that he does this year.

what did we do well against the ravens? I just don't see it? Gilmore and Darby looked awful.

OK what would you like to know about Rex's defense? Because I can answer these questions if you ask a question which is something that can be answered. Otherwise a vague schematic answer is all you'll get.

You prove you know nothing more than he, so lay off the harsh insults.

46 or not whatever scheme Rex tried did not work. Cover 0, 1. And 3 were tried a lot. Cover 6 even.

Rex could not find ways to keep the WR's out of the middle of the field. And it was because he stuffed our safeties in the box or let the wrs get behind them every single time. Which against the ravens was opposite. It was... mind blowing

This could not be further from the truth, Rex and his staff found plenty of ways to keep the wr's out of the middle of the field all game

Oh, you meant the WRs on the other team.................

2016 -- 21

2015 -- 15

2014 -- 24

2013 -- 20

2012 -- 20

2011 -- 19

2010 -- 5

2009 -- 9

Rexs defenses rank in points allowed since he became a HC. Its more than 2 games that make it a fair question. i didnt like the pick of rex because of the glove like fit between our talent and scheme prior, but talked myself into rex being more versatile and successfully creative than i think he really is.

Well, now that you put it like that ... Seriously though, one thing that stands out big time is the lack of playmakers other than Jerry Hughes. Watching Kiko take out Garoppolo brought that to mind (and yes, I know Kiko didn't play for Rex). Last season, Bacarri Rambo kind of took over that role at safety. This year? Really no one so far. Rex's D's have always depended on the big play renegade defender. Aaron Williams perhaps could be the guy, but I just think he's not even close to 100%

I am in general agreement that Rex and the entire organization is ass-backwards. It is a passing league. Brady and Belichick throw the ball three straight plays against us to kill the clock.

Rex has not evolved. His defense is built to stop the run but is also built to play with the lead. He has not been able to have a consistently good offense to keep his defense fresh and able to attack the offense.

If TT and the new OC can string some first downs together the defense will be better. They will be better with Dareus and Lawson.

And they will beat Carson Palmer this week. Very difficult for a west coast team to travel back and play early - even if it is only to two hours different. We are going to see Woods catch 6 balls and Clay another 5. Offense is going to dink and dunk and keep the Cardinals off-balance. TT will run. Bills by 4 but it won't be that close.

Rex took a top 5 defense and made it the laughing stock of the league. The race to the bottom churned into a new gear when he hired his brother. Brandon, Whaley and the Pegulas should have known better. The Browns were better than this sorry team until McCown went down.

He's allowed Sammy Watkins to be invisible in half the games he played. And there are no receivers on the team that are anything but a #4 at best on most every other team, but thy won't get Sammy involved? Idiotic.

He has no control over his players:

• Rex let a rookie of the year candidate turn into a fat, pothead and had to cut him lose.
  • Rex allows a starting RT, a known pothead when drafted, and does nothing to change him and he had to be caught and fined three times before he's suspended. Where is the foresight to fix his issues? He was a problem when you drafted him after he was busted at the combine and he still can't figure it out? His major problem isn't Crohns disease it's between his ears.
  • Rex allows his all pro DT to turn into or stay a pothead. Who knows if this jerk will even be out of rehab by the time his suspension is up or what kind of shape the overgrown baby will be in.

Rex is a players coach my ***. Rex' head is up his players ***es. As I stated when he hired his fat ***ed brother, it will be nothing but a ****show. I had no problem Rex attending his son's Clemson game this Saturday. I had a big problem that Rob -- who should have been fired -- went to the game instead of trying to fix his lousy defense.

Shaq Lawson will be a bigger bust than the lightweight we had from Penn State.

Rex took a top 5 defense and made it the laughing stock of the league. The race to the bottom churned into a new gear when he hired his brother. Brandon, Whaley and the Pegulas should have known better. The Browns were better than this sorry team until McCown went down.

He's allowed Sammy Watkins to be invisible in half the games he played. And there are no receivers on the team that are anything but a #4 at best on most every other team, but thy won't get Sammy involved? Idiotic.

• Rex let a rookie of the year candidate turn into a fat, pothead and had to cut him lose.
  • Rex allows a starting RT, a known pothead when drafted, and does nothing to change him and he had to be caught and fined three times before he's suspended. Where is the foresight to fix his issues? He was a problem when you drafted him after he was busted at the combine and he still can't figure it out? His major problem isn't Crohns disease it's between his ears.
  • Rex allows his all pro DT to turn into or stay a pothead. Who knows if this jerk will even be out of rehab by the time his suspension is up or what kind of shape the overgrown baby will be in.

Rex is a players coach my ***. Rex' head is up his players ***es. As I stated when he hired his fat ***ed brother, it will be nothing but a ****show. I had no problem Rex attending his son's Clemson game this Saturday. I had a big problem that Rob -- who should have been fired -- went to the game instead of trying to fix his lousy defense.

Dude...Rex isn't their dad..

Even if he was and told them to quit hitting the weed and quit eating 4 cheeseburgers at dinner time, it is very unlikely they would have listened to him.

You can blame Rex for a lot, but not any of that. Those are all personal character issues that are not Rex's fault at all.

Sorry, they're not.

Hate Rex all you want....But don't blame him for **** he doesn't control.

This has to be either the most sarcasm post in the history of the board or straight troll bait

I play this game where I count how many words into your posts before I see the term "2 gap." Only 11 today, so we set a new record.

I admit he sometimes prefers a two gap fit in more obvious running downs, but not all that much, really, as it's mostly dictated by offensive personnel and formation. It's just not as prominent as some like to believe. Much of the time vs the Jets for example, he had his DL playing one gap or shading, for example. Yeah, there were a few snaps where KW was in a 0 technique, but it wasn't often.

And before you go into your "Mario was wasted in the two gap philosophy" just know that is part and parcel to an being a strong side edge player in a 34 front. We can say he was wasted in that role but that's another argument as MW certainly had the athletic chops to play the technique. And not for nothing, after the bye last season we saw less and less of our down lineman playing 2 gap responsibilities.

Anyway, this particular discussion pertained to the assertion that Ryan's "46 is antiquated" when he really didn't use much of it in the losing effort last week.

You can claim that Ryan didn't use his two-gap run-stopping scheme all that much last season but the stats say something different. You don't go from #2 in the league in sacks in 2013 utilizing a 3-4 scheme and then go to #1 in the league in sacks utilizing a 4-3 scheme. To Rex Ryan's defense that went to 31st in the league in sacks and then last in the league in QB pressures by mostly using anything other than that two-gap.

It was also clear to see the games in which Ryan ran a mostly one-gap scheme. Like in that second game against the Patriots without Mario, Kyle and Aaron Williams. Then against the 10-6 Jets in the final game of the season while knocking them out of the playoffs with an injury-depleted Bills roster while getting tremendous pressure on Fitz. So the injury excuse for Buffalo made by some doesn't fly either.

There is also the fact that the best Bills D-line player on Ryan's defense in Marcell Dareus went public about his misuse in Rex's scheme since training camp last 2015. Although Mario, the best pass rusher was more concerned about how often he was being asked to drop into pass coverage, he also stated he didn't like what he was being asked to do in Ryan's scheme. Both those all pro's complaining about how they were wrongly being utilized in Ryan's scheme corroborates him using that two-gap far too often.

How does a supposed defensive guru who is a players coach manage to upset and alienate two all pro's who are the very best in the league at what they both do... and somehow it's the players fault.

I liken Ryan's two-gap scheme to Jauron's Tampa Two in that both need sets of very talented players in specific positions to make those defenses work to maximum efficiency and even then the better teams have learned how to defeat those schemes.

What's sad is the Bills FO thought they were getting one of the most talented defensive minds in the league only to find that in reality, the man only knows how to run one kinda outdated scheme that requires a completely different set of defenders in the front seven that were already on the roster. JMHO.

1 very good game and 1 completely putrid game. Big test this week.

1 good week won't work they NEED to win these next 2 and maybe the three after just to make people believe again. This team has no ability to be consistent. They might destroy the Cardinals next week but get **** on by the (Bradyless) Pats after.

Edited by Beef Jerky

1 good week won't work they NEED to win these next 2 and maybe the three after just to make people believe again. This team has no ability to be consistent. They might destroy the Cardinals next week but get **** on by the (Bradyless) Pats after.

They have most definitely been inconsistent in Ryan's 18 game tenure. They have nothing to hang their collective hats on.

Dude...Rex isn't their dad..

Even if he was and told them to quit hitting the weed and quit eating 4 cheeseburgers at dinner time, it is very unlikely they would have listened to him.

You can blame Rex for a lot, but not any of that. Those are all personal character issues that are not Rex's fault at all.

Sorry, they're not.

Hate Rex all you want....But don't blame him for **** he doesn't contry

Try drafting and signing players of character? Just a thought dude!

I'd just like to point out that the Pats are winning without Tom Brady

They could start the cleaning lady and win!

Dont forget that he allowed Manny Lawson to beat up his old lady (or whatever he did) and then had to cut him. But to be fair, the bi*** had it comin.

Well, the OP certainly did and it was when I refuted his position that you chimed in with the old "Model T" analogy. That's not be making crap up so much as you now deciding to move the goalposts.

Whatever defense he uses is indeed getting beaten over and over and over. That doesn't mean it's antiquated or is every defense that gets beaten over and over and over also antiquated?

Stick to the comedy.

You didn't refute anything. The 46 defense relies heavily on isolating corners man on man, plugging up the middle of the field with safeties, and bailing linebackers. The 46 defense was inspired by stopping the run and short quick read game. Generally speaking this defense is ideal for that kind of offense. Problem is that outside of maybe a few teams in the NFL using the pure West Coast offense, most teams have deep threats, and larger, much more athletic WR's, and TE's. It's antiquated in that, in the 70's and 80's receivers were much smaller, TE's were used to block, and most teams had running first on their minds. If you're playing a team like that, then the 46 is your boy, if not, then you need to adjust. Granted, Rex doesn't always run the 46, he DOES use variations of the 34, and 43, but his base, his STANDARD model if you will, is the 46. He teaches to his players, and then makes variations on this basic principle. Stack the box, (Or show it), force the offense to kill the run, and then bail the OLB, and FS/SS in short intermediate zones. No cover 2, and rarely if ever does Rex run a cover 3, in fact, I'd like you to show me on the All-22 a single example of a true cover 3 this year.

So, no, you did not refute anything other than your strawman argument, and we all know how easy there are to beat. ;)

Tim-

i know every team deals with injuries, but we are down 2 very important pieces(Dareus & Lawson), our 2 top tiered draft picks are injured, teams need time to heal those wounds, and training camp just doesn't cut it, I hate to throw out 4 games, but once Dareus is back i think we will see a marked improvement(not saying he's superman, but he is a very very important part of this overall scheme)

This is NOT a shot at you, Poojer, but doesn't it seem like we are saying this every year now?

I will admit I was wrong also. I was wondering why they hired Rex, with a strong D already, but thought that the D would have still been good under him and if they could get the O working better. Last year I thought many times if we had that O with the previous years D the playoff drought would be over.

Coming into this year I was even more hopeful. If the D could buy in and get better and the O improve a bit more this team could be real strong. With Brady out for us I really thought we could start 4-0. The the last 2 weeks happened. The D was better against a bad Baltimore O and just terrible against a good Jets O. Our O is feast or famine and does not put together long time consuming drives. But we can hit the big play.

This team is totally mismanaged and now I am wondering when the quit on the season? If the Cards go up 14-0 early does the team just quit? Do we have to be in games early to stay interested? If we start the season 0-4 is that enough to give Rex the boot? 0-9? I am now feeling that the season is out of our reach, I could be wrong and they all pull together and use the us against the world, we will see this week.

People, the season just started. The Bills will get Dareus, Sh. Lawson, S. Henderson, and M. Easley back very soon. Help is on the way.

So I guess all we needed was Lawson last year to make the playoffs....We had the others. I am just waiting with baited breath for these four to join roster....That was not an earthquake you just felt, it was BeliCheat shaking in his boots!!!!

Why won't anyone tell me how Rex hasn't screwed up the defense and has no understanding of it. Honestly... I keep hearing people demand a debate on this and putting others down.

I want x's and o's... I want to know how Rex's amazing d is succeeding

You didn't refute anything. The 46 defense relies heavily on isolating corners man on man, plugging up the middle of the field with safeties, and bailing linebackers. The 46 defense was inspired by stopping the run and short quick read game. Generally speaking this defense is ideal for that kind of offense. Problem is that outside of maybe a few teams in the NFL using the pure West Coast offense, most teams have deep threats, and larger, much more athletic WR's, and TE's. It's antiquated in that, in the 70's and 80's receivers were much smaller, TE's were used to block, and most teams had running first on their minds. If you're playing a team like that, then the 46 is your boy, if not, then you need to adjust. Granted, Rex doesn't always run the 46, he DOES use variations of the 34, and 43, but his base, his STANDARD model if you will, is the 46. He teaches to his players, and then makes variations on this basic principle. Stack the box, (Or show it), force the offense to kill the run, and then bail the OLB, and FS/SS in short intermediate zones. No cover 2, and rarely if ever does Rex run a cover 3, in fact, I'd like you to show me on the All-22 a single example of a true cover 3 this year.out

So, no, you did not refute anything other than your strawman argument, and we all know how easy there are to beat. ;)

Tim-

Please tell me, EXACTLY, what percentage of the time Rex Ryan runs his father's 46 defense. Never mind, because the answer is little bordering on never.

People see man coverage and automatically associate that with the 46 and say that's all we run without paying attention to the fronts, which is what REALLY identifies the scheme. Man coverage is used in all schemes at one time or another. It's worth mentioning we were beaten for big pass plays while incorporating zone concepts as well last Thursday.

Or people see us bringing a safety into the box and again automatically assume the 46 without paying attention to what side he's lined up on or if there are two LBs bracketing the strong side.

Perhaps people should get a better idea of what they are proclaiming is being run and saying is antiquated before doing so.

I am not offering any strawman argument, just trying to bring some clarity to the issue. The OP clearly stated it was about the 46. Closer scrutiny reveals that our defense sucked for other reasons. That's all. No need to get defensive about that.

Please tell me, EXACTLY, what percentage of the time Rex Ryan runs his father's 46 defense. Never mind, because the answer is little bordering on never.

People see man coverage and automatically associate that with the 46 and say that's all we run without paying attention to the fronts, which is what REALLY identifies the scheme. Man coverage is used in all schemes at one time or another. It's worth mentioning we were beaten for big pass plays while incorporating zone concepts as well last Thursday.

Or people see us bringing a safety into the box and again automatically assume the 46 without paying attention to what side he's lined up on or if there are two LBs bracketing the strong side.

Perhaps people should get a better idea of what they are proclaiming is being run and saying is antiquated before doing so.

I am not offering any strawman argument, just trying to bring some clarity to the issue. The OP clearly stated it was about the 46. Closer scrutiny reveals that our defense sucked for other reasons. That's all. No need to get defensive about that.

How about we just agree to call it the "pile of crap defense" and move on. I propose this terminology because it accurately describes the results and allows refocus on the essential point:

It doesn't matter if it is cover 1, cover 2, 46, 52 or 93 defense. Whatever it is, it is failing miserably, players don't understand it and Rex is unable to fix it. So if he goes with a cover 1 look on first down and the Jets gain 20 then he goes 46 and the Jets game 35 then he goes cover 2 and the jets throw a TD, calling it the "pile of crap" defense is accurate and does not cast aspersions on one scheme or another. This debacle deserves its own name and "pile of crap" seems fitting. I could also live with "albatross", "cyanide" or "2 on 11" as monikers.

How about we just agree to call it the "pile of crap defense" and move on. I propose this terminology because it accurately describes the results and allows refocus on the essential point:

It doesn't matter if it is cover 1, cover 2, 46, 52 or 93 defense. Whatever it is, it is failing miserably, players don't understand it and Rex is unable to fix it. So if he goes with a cover 1 look on first down and the Jets gain 20 then he goes 46 and the Jets game 35 then he goes cover 2 and the jets throw a TD, calling it the "pile of crap" defense is accurate and does not cast aspersions on one scheme or another. This debacle deserves its own name and "pile of crap" seems fitting. I could also live with "albatross", "cyanide" or "2 on 11" as monikers.

Works for me. I'll just keep the closer scrutiny to myself then.

Call me Cover 1, 2, 46, 53, 93, Just don't call me Cover WR.

Works for me. I'll just keep the closer scrutiny to myself then.

I wasn't discouraging you from posting.

My point is that whatever we are running is not working and we are getting beaten over and over and over again. There is a reason for this which is scheme based perhaps with its roots in some specific scheme. Maybe it is too many schemes being run at once. Maybe it is poor disguising, poor communication or poor something else.

Whatever the causes, Rex's scheming is failing. Because we played Thursday and 6 days have passed and Big Cat thinks he has looked at film or read an article on the internet does not mean what we saw on that broadcast worked or should have worked. It didn't. And it won't. Pointing out that someone is technically incorrect calling it a 46 or whatever won't change that. It is Rex's scheme and it is a complete and utter failure. From this point forward I will call it the Cyanide Defense but you can call it whatever you'd like. I enjoy reading the details you provide until people start saying this is how it could have worked or that is how it should have worked. It isn't working. The D worked well before Rex arrived.

Now here we are needing a 42 round draft to stock our defense with guys no other team wants while we ignore offensive needs only to have people point to the offense as the "real" problem. It's ridiculous.

The beautiful thing about all this back and forth arguing, the pro Rex vs anti-Rex crowd, the blind homers vs the pessimists, everyone can voice their opinion and insist they at right BUT it's all played out, on the field, every Sunday. Rex will either coach himself out of town or get things fixed. Tyrod will either learn to become a semi-franchise QB or he won't, and if not he will be gone as well. No one's opinions are changing due to these posts. The only thing remaining to be seen is which camp is right and whichever side loses will they admit they were wrong in hindsight.

Edited by Billznut