I was wrong, and I don't mind saying it..

D521646

The beautiful thing about all this back and forth arguing, the pro Rex vs anti-Rex crowd, the blind homers vs the pessimists, everyone can voice their opinion and insist they at right BUT it's all played out, on the field, every Sunday. Rex will either coach himself out of town or get things fixed. Tyrod will either learn to become a semi-franchise QB or he won't, and if not he will be gone as well. No one's opinions are changing due to these posts. The only thing remaining to be seen is which camp is right and whichever side loses will they admit they were wrong in hindsight.

I sure hope I end up in the wrong category about Rex and the right category about Tyrod. I don't think he is perfect but I think we've done a lot worse and I like him.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY 2 cents. Friend of mine who watched the Bills who knows Football better than me told me a big part of the deal is the Bills over value the talent they have. Clay hasnt lived up to expectation and really isnt that good. The Bills dont have a reliable 2nd and 3rd receiver. O line is a ? still. I was willing after the Jets to give Rex a chance. He just appears to be part of the problem... Shady as others have said is not an every down back and the draft has too many guys hurt. In retrospect this was a disaster waiting to happen. Rex reminds me of Sadaams PR guys stating "we are kicking the Americans as s, as they were entering Bagdad. Both are and were clueless. Time for a change:(

Edited by North Buffalo

Please tell me, EXACTLY, what percentage of the time Rex Ryan runs his father's 46 defense. Never mind, because the answer is little bordering on never.

People see man coverage and automatically associate that with the 46 and say that's all we run without paying attention to the fronts, which is what REALLY identifies the scheme. Man coverage is used in all schemes at one time or another. It's worth mentioning we were beaten for big pass plays while incorporating zone concepts as well last Thursday.

Or people see us bringing a safety into the box and again automatically assume the 46 without paying attention to what side he's lined up on or if there are two LBs bracketing the strong side.

Perhaps people should get a better idea of what they are proclaiming is being run and saying is antiquated before doing so.

I am not offering any strawman argument, just trying to bring some clarity to the issue. The OP clearly stated it was about the 46. Closer scrutiny reveals that our defense sucked for other reasons. That's all. No need to get defensive about that.

In the interest of moving on from this sematic argument where in reality none of us really know for sure what Rex is doing at any given time. I will say that looking at the All-22 from the Ravens game, Rex lined his guys up in the traditional 46 about 8 times. One of those times, Wallace ran past Duke and scored the death-blow, TD. That said, WHATEVER Rex Ryan is running right now, it isn't working. My guess is that Rex is having a tremendous amount of trouble getting his guys to recognize landmarks (gaps in sole responsibility) and taking extra precaution in those roles. My guess is that Williams had Wallace, knew it, and knew he had no help, but situational awareness wasn't present that Wallace had the entire middle of the field once he passed the LB's. Williams should have known that he isn't anywhere near as fast as Wallace, and played off more to compensate for that shortcoming. Duke knew he had LB's to plug up the short to intermediate zone, and should have played deeper in case Wallace took off, knowing he was the lone man. I'm not blaming Rex on that one, necessarily, but Rex does have to know what he has on defense and what they are and are not capable of. Duke Williams has no business covering Mike Wallace man on man on deep routes with no help. None!

Tim-

MY 2 cents. Friend of mine who watched the Bills who knows Football better than me told me a big part of the deal is the Bills over value the talent they have. Clay hasnt lived up to expectation and really isnt that good. The Bills dont have a reliable 2nd and 3rd receiver. O line is a ? still. I was willing after the Jets to give Rex a chance. He just appears to be part of the problem... Shady as others have said is not an every down back and the draft has too many guys hurt. In retrospect this was a disaster waiting to happen. Rex reminds me of Sadaams PR guys stating "we are kicking the Americans as s, as they were entering Bagdad. Both are and were clueless. Time for a change:(

You are being rather unkind to former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

​He knew he was spewing BS at the time, but had no choice.

In contrast, Rex and his minions actually believe the crap they spew is true.

Rex has some pathological problems.

Edited by Fadingpain

In the interest of moving on from this sematic argument where in reality none of us really know for sure what Rex is doing at any given time. I will say that looking at the All-22 from the Ravens game, Rex lined his guys up in the traditional 46 about 8 times. One of those times, Wallace ran past Duke and scored the death-blow, TD. That said, WHATEVER Rex Ryan is running right now, it isn't working. My guess is that Rex is having a tremendous amount of trouble getting his guys to recognize landmarks (gaps in sole responsibility) and taking extra precaution in those roles. My guess is that Williams had Wallace, knew it, and knew he had no help, but situational awareness wasn't present that Wallace had the entire middle of the field once he passed the LB's. Williams should have known that he isn't anywhere near as fast as Wallace, and played off more to compensate for that shortcoming. Duke knew he had LB's to plug up the short to intermediate zone, and should have played deeper in case Wallace took off, knowing he was the lone man. I'm not blaming Rex on that one, necessarily, but Rex does have to know what he has on defense and what they are and are not capable of. Duke Williams has no business covering Mike Wallace man on man on deep routes with no help. None!

Tim-

Like I said, I will keep the closer scrutiny to myself from now on but in the interest of edification, I urge you to look at the Wallace TD again. Very little about that set resembles the 46.

I can agree with pretty much everything else here, though. Especially the idea of D Williams on Wallace. Before the snap, I commented that the wrong Williams was in the game. And I give credit to Flacco for good recognition. I think Rex even admitted he doubled the wrong guy, something he isn't able to do easily, which is one of my knocks against him.

Anyway, the D sucked no matter what we call it.

Clay seems to be open all the time and should be killing the middle seams. TT likes to ignore him for some reason. And Clay is an outstanding blocker as well. When I look at the tape, I don't see what your friend sees in Clay at all.

This team sucks!

Is it Rex? Is it Rob? Was it Roman? The FO? Scouting?

Here is how you fix it. Start firing people, one at a time. Including players.... the water boy, the equipment guy, the contracts guy, medical staff.....

Remember the old army joke... We will keep executing people until morale improves. In this case, keep firing until performance improves.

This team sucks!

Is this an over reaction? Of course it is... but 16 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the one training camp day I visited it seemed he dropped more than he caught in practice. Could be the issue.

Like I said, I will keep the closer scrutiny to myself from now on but in the interest of edification, I urge you to look at the Wallace TD again. Very little about that set resembles the 46.

I can agree with pretty much everything else here, though. Especially the idea of D Williams on Wallace. Before the snap, I commented that the wrong Williams was in the game. And I give credit to Flacco for good recognition. I think Rex even admitted he doubled the wrong guy, something he isn't able to do easily, which is one of my knocks against him.

Anyway, the D sucked no matter what we call it.

Clay seems to be open all the time and should be killing the middle seams. TT likes to ignore him for some reason. And Clay is an outstanding blocker as well. When I look at the tape, I don't see what your friend sees in Clay at all.

I sure hope I end up in the wrong category about Rex and the right category about Tyrod. I don't think he is perfect but I think we've done a lot worse and I like him.

Hes our best option rite now. People forget a 2nd year QB is gonna have growing pains. I just hope he gets his confidence back and his accuracy returns to the level it was at last year for the short and intermediate routes.

Hes our best option rite now. People forget a 2nd year QB is gonna have growing pains. I just hope he gets his confidence back and his accuracy returns to the level it was at last year for the short and intermediate routes.

When last year was he accurate on short and intermediate throws?

:blink:

2 games

18 games

In the one training camp day I visited it seemed he dropped more than he caught in practice. Could be the issue.

Clay seems to catch some passes early in games and rarely sees them again. It's a mystery that, hopefully, the new OC will correct. He's a much better player than his stats would indicate.

When last year was he accurate on short and intermediate throws?

:blink:

Almost all the time breh. Damn was 2 bad games all it took to make everyone else forget? The fallacies are strong this year! I remember during the season last year reading comments from fans that read "finally good to have a QB that can make the easy throws and make them look easy" (Sorry EJ! Were still cool tho!). I can say go back and watch the whole season (torture) but Ill make it easy on you and tell you to watch the week 17 game vs the Jets. Matter fact heres the link, I wish you would watch this game or at least all the offensive drives we had before responding so we can have some context on my comment but I dont expect you to breh. You guys have all been poisoned by logical fallacy which is giving you a negative revisionist history. He was quite accurate on throws last year, he just wasnt consistently good at maintaining drives, finding open WRs during some plays, and making the smart throw on 3rd and whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgptgSJ84Mg

18 games

Clay seems to catch some passes early in games and rarely sees them again. It's a mystery that, hopefully, the new OC will correct. He's a much better player than his stats would indicate.

We need to get TT & Clay rolling early in the game to establish the TE threat so Clay can pull some coverage to his side opening it up for our WRs and RB dump offs.

Dude...Rex isn't their dad..

Even if he was and told them to quit hitting the weed and quit eating 4 cheeseburgers at dinner time, it is very unlikely they would have listened to him.

You can blame Rex for a lot, but not any of that. Those are all personal character issues that are not Rex's fault at all.

Sorry, they're not.

Hate Rex all you want....But don't blame him for **** he doesn't control.

this. If i get too stoned to go to work and call out, its my fault, not my boss's

Edited by Marty McFly

Ban him again.

yes since i dont have the lame agree with everyone or rip everyone posts like yours, the ones with no opinion or analysis. Oh wait I saw a post with an actual opinion form you no less, it said "name you favorite non bill" great insight! Took alot of courage for you to post about who is everyones favorite non bills player, you should do favorite colors next since your posting about things that have nothing to do with the bills.

Ok, upon some reflection, I was wrong about Rex Ryan. I thought his 46 defense would work here, I am on record saying so, and I was wrong. No one in the NFL is running this defense anymore as it's geared to stopping the run in a run heavy climate. The NFL isn't that way anymore. Looking at the running yards on average this year, teams are not relying on it, period. This antiquated 46 defense needs to go. I was also wrong about The Eagles and Carson Wentz. Kid looks legit, and Doug Pederson along with Jim Schwartz have that team clicking with the wide-9. Interesting and frustrating at the same time watching Bradham, and Brooks steal the show last night. I thought both of them had outstanding games.

I'm done with Rex Ryan's bravado, and excuses. Time to put up or shut the !@#$ up, Rex. I was willing to give Rex the benefit of doubt as I thought he was nullified in NJ, but it is becoming clear that, although players seems to like playing for him, they don't actually "Play" for him, or can't. I'm not sure which is more true, but his defense sucks, and our team cannot for whatever reason execute. He says he learned from past mistakes, but judging by the first two games he doesn't seem to get the fact that his defense doesn't work any longer.

I was also wrong about Taylor. I thought he would make a huge leap this year. I thought the game would slow down for him, and he'd be more aware in the pocket, and find his open guys. The All-22 says otherwise, he's still missing wide open targets, and cannot for the life of me adjust to pre-snap reads. My God, even Wentz last night was making changes at the LOS, and he's a god damn rookie. Now, I'm not totally giving up on TT, I think, or at least my intuition is that Roman had him on lock down, and he wasn't allowed to audible. We'll see this week, but if he continues to rely on the deep ball, and fails to throw the intermediate, and over the middle balls, Roman wasn't the problem, it's him.

I am not looking forward to Sunday, I just don't see how we win that game, but I am hopeful, as I always am that this team will finally turn the corner. I just don't think it's going to be this year, and until Rex Ryan shows me otherwise, I don't see it with him as the head coach.

Go Bills!

Tim-

Don't see us winning Sunday eh... based on previous trends of your assumptions, the Bills are guaranteed to win right?!?! Who's coming to Vegas with me?!!!

18 games dude.

This. It hasn't been only 2 games. Ryan has talked the talk,but his team has failed to walk the walk. They are a bad football team, poorly coached and it is going to be a long season before we rid ourselves of the Ryan brothers. I was a big Rex supporter, but results are what counts and his teams here have underperformed and been outcoached almost every single week. Time to find a real coach.

Don't see us winning Sunday eh... based on previous trends of your assumptions, the Bills are guaranteed to win right?!?! Who's coming to Vegas with me?!!!

Dude you're misplaced. I'd suck a dick for this team to win and get into the post season, I just don't see how they can beat Arizona. Sure if we had bellicheck perhaps, but not this cluster!@#$..

Tim-

Dude you're misplaced. I'd suck a dick for this team to win and get into the post season, I just don't see how they can beat Arizona. Sure if we had bellicheck perhaps, but not this cluster!@#$..

Tim-

Careful, I got one of the dreaded warning points for less than that :)

i know every team deals with injuries, but we are down 2 very important pieces(Dareus & Lawson), our 2 top tiered draft picks are injured, teams need time to heal those wounds, and training camp just doesn't cut it, I hate to throw out 4 games, but once Dareus is back i think we will see a marked improvement(not saying he's superman, but he is a very very important part of this overall scheme)

That's right BUT will Rex be around to see him come back?

This has to be either the most sarcasm post in the history of the board or straight troll bait

>>>>>Rex took a top 5 defense and made it the laughing stock of the league. The race to the bottom churned into a new gear when he hired his brother. Brandon, Whaley and the Pegulas should have known better.<<<<<

John, how was the above sarcastic or troll bait? Our defense makes that of Jauron look efficient and aggressive. It is sickening to watch.

The poster might not be saying what you want to hear, but it doesn't make him wrong.

>>>>>Rex took a top 5 defense and made it the laughing stock of the league. The race to the bottom churned into a new gear when he hired his brother. Brandon, Whaley and the Pegulas should have known better.<<<<<

John, how was the above sarcastic or troll bait? Our defense makes that of Jauron look efficient and aggressive. It is sickening to watch.

The poster might not be saying what you want to hear, but it doesn't make him wrong.

Whatever you do, don't tell him what Kobe did to that poor girl.

How about we just agree to call it the "pile of crap defense" and move on. I propose this terminology because it accurately describes the results and allows refocus on the essential point:

You kinda have a way with words, don't you?

18 games and counting.

So that's our problem, we need "accountability partners" for the players? And only side-to-side hugging.