the Myles Jack Irony

I'm the one who extended it to Whaley and I stand by that. I continue to believe that the decision to pass on Jack was short-sighted. I was banging the table for him at the time, and I still am - his ceiling is much higher than Ragland's. I'm concerned about the strategic approach to this year's draft - to me, the top two picks were based on need and scheme fit - and not overall talent. As some like BADOL have said, you don't use top draft picks to fill needs. You use them to select star players. Whaley and Rex seemed like they were drafting for their short-term job security this year, and I'm not ok with that. (And as far as irony goes, it has already blown up in their faces.)

I'm with you--I said from day 1 that Myles Jack would be my pick if I had the #1 overall pick in the draft.

I don't care about what might happen to his knee 3 years from now; I care about the fact that he could become the best LB in the NFL

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you--I said from day 1 that Myles Jack would be my pick if I had the #1 overall pick in the draft.

I don't care about what might happen to his knee 3 years from now; I care about the fact that he could become the best LB in the NFL

You are assuming a rookie will be the best LB in the league. Not very likely. Even the greats have a learning curve. By the time Jack comes into his own he's done because of his knees.

You are assuming a rookie will be the best LB in the league. Not very likely. Even the greats have a learning curve. By the time Jack comes into his own he's done because of his knees.

Nope.

I'm the one who extended it to Whaley and I stand by that. I continue to believe that the decision to pass on Jack was short-sighted. I was banging the table for him at the time, and I still am - his ceiling is much higher than Ragland's. I'm concerned about the strategic approach to this year's draft - to me, the top two picks were based on need and scheme fit - and not overall talent. As some like BADOL have said, you don't use top draft picks to fill needs. You use them to select star players. Whaley and Rex seemed like they were drafting for their short-term job security this year, and I'm not ok with that. (And as far as irony goes, it has already blown up in their faces.)

I don't think Ragland is even relevant in your argument. He was taken with the 41st pick after the Bills traded up 8 spots with Chicago giving up two 4ths in the process. Buffalo contacted every team in the second round starting with Cleveland attempting to move up and Chicago was the first taker. So Buffalo couldn't have gotten Jack with their second round pick. Then the question becomes should they have drafted him with their first round pick instead of Shaq Lawson? This is the Myles Jack that every single team in the first round passed on. So if we were wrong, everyone else was wrong as well.

Wasn't the issue with Jack that it wasn't certain if he needed additional surgery and that his knee was a bit of a ticking time bomb that could go at any time? So just because he is good now, there a chance it could go anytime and his career longevity might be a question?

And IIRC Lawson's injury is more of a lingering injury that would require surgery sometime that he would fully recover from, and the Bills decided it was best for him to just have the surgery now,miss TC and part of the season, but be 100% for the rest and not have to worry about it or have him play less than 100%?

I would rather take the guy who may need surgery and be out for a bit to get to 100% then a guy who very likely could end up having a short career

Wasn't the issue with Jack that it wasn't certain if he needed additional surgery and that his knee was a bit of a ticking time bomb that could go at any time? So just because he is good now, there a chance it could go anytime and his career longevity might be a question?

And IIRC Lawson's injury is more of a lingering injury that would require surgery sometime that he would fully recover from, and the Bills decided it was best for him to just have the surgery now,miss TC and part of the season, but be 100% for the rest and not have to worry about it or have him play less than 100%?

I would rather take the guy who may need surgery and be out for a bit to get to 100% then a guy who very likely could end up having a short career

That's correct.

The point on Jack, however, is that he was an elite prospect--the kind that doesn't come around often.

The upside on him is game-changing defender that other teams have no choice but to plan against. I wanted him because he was a one-way ticket to taking Gronk out of games. The guy was a 233-lb LB that played in man coverage against Tyler Lockett and didn't get beat.

Yes, you have to balance the value of such a player against the possibility that he'll need career-ending surgery. For me, 2-3 years of having that guy on your team are worth a 1st round pick alone. That other players have come back from microfracture surgery only bolsters the value of picking for the upside IMO.

It rots my socks to see Myles "big draft risk, knee injury" playing for the Jaguars tonight while our top 2 draft choices languish in the infirmary.

That is all

We need to find someone that can predict the future then we can make the correct decisions... Or maybe he gets injured

That's correct.

The point on Jack, however, is that he was an elite prospect--the kind that doesn't come around often.

The upside on him is game-changing defender that other teams have no choice but to plan against. I wanted him because he was a one-way ticket to taking Gronk out of games. The guy was a 233-lb LB that played in man coverage against Tyler Lockett and didn't get beat.

Yes, you have to balance the value of such a player against the possibility that he'll need career-ending surgery. For me, 2-3 years of having that guy on your team are worth a 1st round pick alone. That other players have come back from microfracture surgery only bolsters the value of picking for the upside IMO.

If this team was on the cusp of being a SB contender, I could see the arguement of drafting someone who may not last 2-3 years but give you elite production in that short time. Problem is you have no idea if he will be "elite" at the NFL level, and you also have no idea if he will make it past signing his contract and into camp, let alone making it through a full season w/ playoffs.

I like seeing management keeping an eye on the future while also focusing on today, and drafting Shaq, and later deciding to get him to have the surgery now before the injury gets any worse I think is a smart move (but I may also be the only fan out there that doesn't see an issue with the Toronto Blue jays trying to save Aaron Sanchez arm and keeping to his innings limit for the year......). I believe getting the surgery out of the way now so Shaq can come in 100% later is better then letting him play with the injured shoulder and seeing how long he can go til it has to be done.

I forgot. Do they engrave how many games were missed on the busts in Canton?

He hasn't played a down and you're going there?! Right now Manny stands a better chance than Shaq at the hof. Edited by Dopey

• 4 weeks later...

Zero defensive snaps in week 3, again. Can't beat out Poz...? Or Dan Skuta (In coverage no less). or Arthur Brown.

"I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it." - HC Gus Bradley on absence of second round draft pick Myles Jack

Edited by YoloinOhio

Outstanding.

Now That Is outstanding My New found Friend. I love this place somedays.

Such fantastic phrasing, that i may not soon forget. "rots your socks '

All the freaking way to- A superb VVG reference in regard to Absinthe via wormwood via tastes like chicken.

I do so adore you folks when in a positive state of mind.

Like that Kid Jack and wish him well.

I do not know anything about rotting socks.

And i would prefer to remain as naive as possible in some delicate matters, such as these perhaps.

But some cubes of sugar and a bottle of the green geenie, and would be open to hear the tale Hap.

glad to have you back BB ! in fine fettle, it seems !

Keuchley, or however you spell it, was pretty damn good right off the bat.

Total package

Edited by 3rdand12

Zero defensive snaps in week 3, again. Can't beat out Poz...? Or Dan Skuta (In coverage no less). or Arthur Brown.

"I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it." - HC Gus Bradley on absence of second round draft pick Myles Jack

Gus Bradley - noted enjoyer of losing and ****ty decisions. I can't believe how bad a HC he's been.

Yowza. I had not been paying attention to Jacksonville but isn't this something pretty significant, given the instant beatification of Jack that was going on?

It rots my socks to see Myles "big draft risk, knee injury" playing for the Jaguars tonight while our top 2 draft choices languish in the infirmary.

That is all

The way our LBs are playing, neither Ragland nor Jack would even be on the field right now. Zach Brown is a beast. Worthy and Washington are strong. Great job Whaley. Our infirmary issues are on the other side of the ball champ.

Yes because we can frankly rule on this in the pre season of year one

Whaleys moves are open to question. Hes made plenty of mistakes and we appear no closer to the playoffs than last year or the year before. That could start to change if they do the unexpected and beat NE. For now no criticsm of Whaley is unfair. Some teams reportedly had Lawson off their board. Whaley can certainly be questioned on that one. Especially since he was adamant that Lawson didnt need surgery then a week later they announce he needs surgery. I dont blame him on Ragland. That was a fluke. But the Lawson pick is open to criticsm and the way they handled the surgery issue doesnt help their credibility.

The way our LBs are playing, neither Ragland nor Jack would even be on the field right now. Zach Brown is a beast. Worthy and Washington are strong. Great job Whaley. Our infirmary issues are on the other side of the ball champ.

When you have players who are now excelling, there can be a few causes for that. One being coaching.

Zach Browns been great.

You make a good point. It's why a few people were a little bit frustrated with the selection of Reggie Ragland. Why draft a 2 down LB in the second round when you can easily find a decent one for the cheap reasonably late in FA?

You really are priceless on this board. Don't ever change.

Whaleys moves are open to question. Hes made plenty of mistakes and we appear no closer to the playoffs than last year or the year before. That could start to change if they do the unexpected and beat NE. For now no criticsm of Whaley is unfair. Some teams reportedly had Lawson off their board. Whaley can certainly be questioned on that one. Especially since he was adamant that Lawson didnt need surgery then a week later they announce he needs surgery. I dont blame him on Ragland. That was a fluke. But the Lawson pick is open to criticsm and the way they handled the surgery issue doesnt help their credibility.

Why not hold off and see how Shaq turns out before calling him a mistake? I've read a few threads about taking flyers on injured players on TBD before.

Zach Browns been great.

You make a good point. It's why a few people were a little bit frustrated with the selection of Reggie Ragland. Why draft a 2 down LB in the second round when you can easily find a decent one for the cheap reasonably late in FA?

Maybe because only a "few people" believe the narrative he's only a 2 down LB.