Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. That 2017 number eats about $25m of the estimated $32m cap space (based on the cap going up about $10-11m or so again). So if they were able to get Gilmore at around the tag price they'd need to make a few cuts. I think it pretty much confirms Kyle Williams will not be a Bill in 2017 unless he is willing to play for a pittance.

EDIT: I would like not the spread the hit across the length of Tyrod's deal if possible. I'd only do that if he absolutely lights it up in 2016 because if he just takes a small step I want to maintain the future flexibility.

To your edit. I like the idea of limiting the roster bonus through the 2nd (after year 4?) option if possible too. However, I prefer to stretch it over the course of the contract rather than leave upfront, and I think the Bills also prefer this based on how big that upfront number is (think cash to TT)

Just read about the signing tonight, read the last three pages of this thread and only one real negative poster from what I saw.

Wow, that is amazing, might be a new record of some sorts! Or did a bunch of posters get banned or something?

Nah one guy just carried the weight of all of our typical collective pessimism. It was really impressive how much he had to ignore. I think he is still not sure if the Bills have an option after this to retain TT. I also liked the Final Destination jokes.

So, 15 of his 27 mil salary in 2017 is a bonus. He gets it all at once, but from a cap perspective, doesn't it get split up among the remaining 5 years?

So basically, it's a 12 mil cap hit plus 3 mil bonus, bringing him up to 15 mil against the cap in 2017?

If true, this is an even better deal for the team than I thought, all while TT gets taken care.

I'm very impressed

It only amortizes if converted to signing (I'd assume it would be but... Just noting)

So, 15 of his 27 mil salary in 2017 is a bonus. He gets it all at once, but from a cap perspective, doesn't it get split up among the remaining 5 years?

So basically, it's a 12 mil cap hit plus 3 mil bonus, bringing him up to 15 mil against the cap in 2017?

No because it is a roster bonus not a signing bonus. No Saint is right they could convert it to a signing bonus and spread the hit but my point is unless he rips it up in 2016 I'd rather not do that because if you do the next "out" point for the Bills (after year 3) suddenly costs me a lot in dead money. That would be 4 years into Tyrod's time here... by then we will know for definite what we have and if he doesn't become the guy then it would be a convenient time to cut ties.

No because it is a roster bonus not a signing bonus. No Saint is right they could convert it to a signing bonus and spread the hit but my point is unless he rips it up in 2016 I'd rather not do that because if you do the next "out" point for the Bills (after year 3) suddenly costs me a lot in dead money. That would be 4 years into Tyrod's time here... by then we will know for definite what we have and if he doesn't become the guy then it would be a convenient time to cut ties.

Spotrac has the $15.5M option bonus amortized over the 5 years.

And apparently if they don't pay him the option bonus and thus the remainder of the contract, there's a $10M buyout?

If it's an option bonus, then that's right. Option bonuses, like signing bonuses, are amortized. Roster bonuses are not.

I thought they might, but couldn't find confirmation on that. I did a different search and you are correct. And that would be the smart thing for the Bills to do and even for TT to accept.

Discussion is welcome

Tyrod Taylor might not be 6'4.....but for the 6' he does have the guy lives in the weightroom and is jacked......

He is not injury prone.....he got banged up last year but only missed 2 games

The only reason he was out two games is he was illegally horse collared which is one of the most dangerous penalty infractions. He may have had some injuries, but so does a lot of QB's by the end of the year (See Rothlesberger). TT improved throughout the year with stepping out of bounds, knowing when to slide, etc.

The only reason he was out two games is he was illegally horse collared which is one of the most dangerous penalty infractions. He may have had some injuries, but so does a lot of QB's by the end of the year (See Rothlesberger). TT improved throughout the year with stepping out of bounds, knowing when to slide, etc.

Good point about TT getting injured because of the (now illegal) horse collar-like tackle. By none other than...the Bills recently-added LB Zach Brown.

Despite the small sample size, if you can't tell the difference between TT and Fitz/Trent, I don't know what can be done for you. Pay the freaking man!!!

I'm with you, the guy has the it factor. Yes he's under sized but he does all the little thing needed to be successful and he's a better leader than the others. Plus the deal he signed was smart for all sides. Good move, now let's hope he so darn good they have to rework again soon.

Sounds like he's paid big time next year and then well below league QB average after that.

Cowherd is a Pat fan, not surprising. Still, I lose respect for people when they take shots at the city. They don't know the people. They don't know the history. Shut your mouth, you haven't walked in our shoes.

So far I can't believe Whaley was able to make such a safe deal for the Bill's .

I have great respect for Taylor for believing in himself , a real prove it contract .

We still have to wait for the fine print

Matthew Fairburn , excellent reporting again :thumbsup:

Edited by ALF