Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After taking in 43 pages of the thread and numerous breakdowns of the contract, I think DW did a stroke of business here. $9.5 mil is a bargain - below Fitz money - for this year. The Bills are protected with option outs and if TT excels we get a franchise QB below Brock Osweiler money. What's not to like?

Cowherd is a Pat fan, not surprising. Still, I lose respect for people when they take shots at the city. They don't know the people. They don't know the history. Shut your mouth, you haven't walked in our shoes.

more importantly, they don't know the contract (and don't bother to learn)

After taking in 43 pages of the thread and numerous breakdowns of the contract, I think DW did a stroke of business here. $9.5 mil is a bargain - below Fitz money - for this year. The Bills are protected with option outs and if TT excels we get a franchise QB below Brock Osweiler money. What's not to like?

Assuming of course his agent doesn't try and blackmail the team for more.

For all the doubters, let me translate DW's press statement:

"TT is not the best QB around, he's not even the QB we really want. But he's the best QB available for what we are willing to pay and he's already here, so we're locking him in now in case he gets really good, but if not we have escape clauses that let us dump him anytime without losing our shirts."

Genius. We are blessed to have DW. If only we could get rid of Rex...

It really is a "can't lose" contract for both parties -- an absolute rarity in professional sports. Hard to believe this organization made it happen.

Go Tyrod!

There could easily be some uncomfortableness on either side throughout it still but the downside has been minimized

It really is a "can't lose" contract for both parties -- an absolute rarity in professional sports. Hard to believe this organization made it happen.

Go Tyrod!

Yep...

Tyron : Old Contract..has a great year this year at $3.5, gets tagged next year form$22.0 ...makes $25M total. Bad year and he hits the open market.Devastating injury..cooked . So top side is $25m, low side is $3.5

New contract $9.5 guaranteed , plays well gets $27 m next year. Plays bad, hits open market. So top side $37M , low side $9.5M

How can people not see great deal for him.

Bills : Bills pay $6.5 to avoid messy contract negotiation next year in event TT has a good year, but can still get out if he chits the bed...well worth the 6.5... And they can now control Gilmore as well.

Everyone wins is right Eric!

Edited by plenzmd1

I can't believe Cowherd took time away from sh#tting on Dominican ballplayers to actually talk about our lowly Buffalo Bills.

Guys, we have arrived.

How fat and low energy is Whitlock? Holy crap. Cowherd is a blowhard, but he's gotta say ridiculous stuff to make sure Whitlock stays engaged.

How fat and low energy is Whitlock? Holy crap. Cowherd is a blowhard, but he's gotta say ridiculous stuff to make sure Whitlock stays engaged.

That's how most of those broadcasting guys work. Doesn't matter if they're our local yokels or the national guys. As long as you have a HOT TAEK people will talk, positive or negative, and that's what pumps program directors' (and advertisers') nads.

What I've never understood about Cowherd is how somebody with such a reedy voice made it so far in radio. And now he's on tv, so we get the full sensory experience of his reedy sneer.

Anyway, I subscribe to the notion that if Cowherd is crapping on you, you must be doing something right. So now I like the Tyrod deal even more.

Edited by jimmy10

Lower tier?

It ranks him 23rd in the NFL...1 million/year less than Dalton, 3 million per year more than Fitz.

It's fair, around where he should be at the moment, although you could argue that Dalton is underpaid based on his last few seasons...

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Yep...

Tyron : Old Contract..has a great year this year at $3.5, gets tagged next year form$22.0 ...makes $25M total. Bad year and he hits the open market.Devastating injury..cooked . So top side is $25m, low side is $3.5

New contract $9.5 guaranteed , plays well gets $27 m next year. Plays bad, hits open market. So top side $37M , low side $9.5M

How can people not see great deal for him.

Bills : Bills pay $6.5 to avoid messy contract negotiation next year in event TT has a good year, but can still get out if he chits the bed...well worth the 6.5... And they can now control Gilmore as well.

Everyone wins is right Eric!

Can almost guarentee they will spread that bonus out over the other 5 years...no way he sees 27 million next year in cap hit...

Edited by matter2003

Food for thought as far as 'winnners' and 'losers': Tyrod has a tremendous amount of respect for #12 in Boston, who has always had pretty team friendly numbers. He also witnessed firsthand what Mr. Flacco's contract did to the Ravens roster. Tyrod clearly wants to make enough to protect his future, especially considering the average NFL career, but he wants to keep his supporting cast because he knows that's best for everyone. He doesn't care about being the highest paid QB, he wants to be the highest performing QB.

Food for thought as far as 'winnners' and 'losers': Tyrod has a tremendous amount of respect for #12 in Boston, who has always had pretty team friendly numbers. He also witnessed firsthand what Mr. Flacco's contract did to the Ravens roster. Tyrod clearly wants to make enough to protect his future, especially considering the average NFL career, but he wants to keep his supporting cast because he knows that's best for everyone. He doesn't care about being the highest paid QB, he wants to be the highest performing QB.

That's a good take on it. However he also locked himself into 9 mil, substantially more money than his previous comtract. I'm sure he wasn't upset about that either.

It ranks him 23rd in the NFL...1 million/year less than Dalton, 3 million per year more than Fitz.

It's fair, around where he should be at the moment, although you could argue that Dalton is underpaid based on his last few seasons...http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Can almost guarentee they will spread that bonus out over the other 5 years...no way he sees 27 million next year in cap hit...

Agreed , but he still gets $37m in first two years as opposed to $25m ( assuming $22mtag #) without this deal. Cap hit completely different than cash..as we all know!

As Ross Tucker said, no brainier for him to sign it. These talking head knuckleheads conveniently leave the Tag option out of the equation when saying TT was dumb to sign this offer.

I must say, thought his agent was a tool and out of his league when he made rhe comments earlier in the offseason, but I think he did a brilliant job for his client here. And, has E pointed, good for the Bills tol