Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

Even better than I thought. Looks like a good deal for everyone and if Tyrod takes us to the playoffs and has an even better statistically year than last, it ends up being a hell of a deal for the Bills

I'll be curious how early his agent makes noise if he plays at a top 5-7 kind of level the next few years (what a blessing of a problem but a possible discussion if it ends up being a hell of a deal for the bills like his 2 year deal was)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Deal seems incredibly short-sigted on somebody's part.... Not sure who's just yet... All I know is that i was totally under-whelmed by Tyrod's performance last season... Would've given him the job, of course, but I think it's a FAR better plan to let him EARN a big contract.. 'prove his worth', so to speak... If I had to bet on this deal working out, OR coming back to bite somebody in the rear, I know where my money'd be.

So a guy who didn't get all the snaps in camp goes 8-6 and finishes top 10 in several positive categories and makes the Pro Bowl as an alternate as a first-time starter leaves you underwhelmed? What exactly would "whelm" you?

So a guy who didn't get all the snaps in camp goes 8-6 and finishes top 10 in several positive categories and makes the Pro Bowl as an alternate as a first-time starter leaves you underwhelmed? What exactly would "whelm" you?

I'll be curious how early his agent makes noise if he plays at a top 5-7 kind of level the next few years (what a blessing of a problem but a possible discussion if it ends up being a hell of a deal for the bills like his 2 year deal was)

Well his salary goes up to $27MM in year two. I would guess he'd be talking renegotiation for year three.

Well his salary goes up to $27MM in year two. I would guess he'd be talking renegotiation for year three.

Great point. Everyone is acting as if people actually honor contracts they sign in today's NFL.

Bottom line, this is a great deal for both sides.

Why would someone of elite caliber (not saying that these guys are) agree to this type of contract? Look at Brock. He banked in on FA. Carr and Bridgewater could turn out to be legitimate options at QB and I'm sure there will be plenty of teams willing to pay a pretty penny for their man.

That being said: The deal works for someone like Tyrod because of the uncertainty surrounding his long-term abilities. Teams like Tampa and Tennessee will have had 4 or more years to evaluate their guys who are currently being paid on rookie contracts.

It wouldn't work for the proven elite guys (that's why I used Tannehill). Dalton would have fit too. None of those guys mentioned has proven to be elite yet. They've all shown signs and it's likely that some of them will progress. However it isn't unthinkable that any of those teams may want to see a little more before forking over the type of deal that Tannehill got.

I hated when I first heard this. Seemed like such a Bills type move to overpay a guy who won 8 games. But it's why you have to hear the whole contract in the NFL.

It is pretty reasonable and makes Taylor prove himself. I have more doubts about him as a franchise guy but I'm rooting for him to lead us and make a ton of money.

:lol: Deal seems incredibly short-sigted on somebody's part.... Not sure who's just yet... All I know is that i was totally under-whelmed by Tyrod's performance last season... Would've given him the job, of course, but I think it's a FAR better plan to let him EARN a big contract.. 'prove his worth', so to speak... If I had to bet on this deal working out, OR coming back to bite somebody in the rear, I know where my money'd be.

How can it bite someone? You do understand the structure right? They have a team option.

It wouldn't work for the proven elite guys (that's why I used Tannehill). Dalton would have fit too. None of those guys mentioned has proven to be elite yet. They've all shown signs and it's likely that some of them will progress. However it isn't unthinkable that any of those teams may want to see a little more before forking over the type of deal that Tannehill got.

Dalton was having an elite type season before injury and has made the playoffs every year of his career. He is severely underrated because he is a ginger. :)

I agree. They should have gotten Aaron Rodgers for this upcoming season. And what was the point of drafting Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland when they were going to get injured? Did the front office not see how well JJ Watt and Luke Kuechly played last year? Why not get both of those guys instead?

Underwhelmed..

So you're over-whelmed by a QB, who's been in the league 5 years winning 8 stinkin' starts, against mostly BAD teams? Wow.. I don't know what to say, -other than some may find your standards laughable...

Mine aren't astronomical.... In fact if Tyrod had managed ONE signature win against significant competition... NYG, KC, NE, WAS, I'd feel safer in backing him 100%.... I thought in games when he could have really taken a step forward, and LED us to wins, he shrunk back... JMO.

My opinion on Tyrod hasn't changed since day 1... Until he prove's me wrong, he is the best BACKUP in the NFL.. Sorry. I'm not as generous as the Pegulas.

Edited by #34fan

So you're over-whelmed by a QB, who's been in the league 5 years winning 8 stinkin' starts, against mostly BAD teams? Wow.. I don't know what to say, -other than some may find your standards laughable...

Mine aren't astronomical.... In fact if Tyrod had manged ONE signature win against significant competition... NYG, KC, NE, WAS, I'd feel safer in backing him 100%.... I thought in games when he could have really taken a step forward, and LED us to wins, he shrunk back... JMO.

My opinion on Tyrod hasn't changed since day 1... Until he prove's me wrong, he is the best BACKUP in the NFL.. Sorry. I'm not as generous as the Pegulas.

Had a winning record and beat a team that made the post season and kept a division rival with a winning record OUT of the post season

Your being ridiculous

I agree. They should have gotten Aaron Rodgers for this upcoming season. And what was the point of drafting Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland when they were going to get injured? Did the front office not see how well JJ Watt and Luke Kuechly played last year? Why not get both of those guys instead?

Underwhelmed..

This was the PERFECT year to test drive before buying.... In '16 TT will face the kind of defenses that will test his viability as a starter.. AZ, LA, SEA, CIN... Personally, I would've waited.

Not getting pantsed by cousins, Bradford, and Smiff with playoffs on line would be a start to the "whelm" effect.

Underwhelmed..

Or at least have the brains to pick guys that weren't going to get hurt - duh!

Unpressed.

This was the PERFECT year to test drive before buying.... In '16 TT will face the kind of defenses that will test his viability as a starter.. AZ, LA, SEA, CIN... Personally, I would've waited.

Fair, but the contract is structured in a way where that can still happen. Basically they are paying him more this year to lock him down for less than what they'd have to give him if he lights it up. Even if the odds of that happening aren't great, you have to take that chance considering how important the position is. And in my mind, he showed enough last season to take that chance but not enough to declare him the long-term solution. And this contract reflects that.

I'm not a big Whaley guy, but this is a good deal for the team. The QB position, rightly or wrongly, has way too much say in how your team performs. And there is a dearth of talent at the position. You need to act if you think you have your guy. It's not like the Bills have a blue-chipper waiting in the wings to come save the franchise. Taylor's play could mask Whaley's other questionable decisions (Rex, Clay/Shady contracts) to the point where it keeps him employed beyond this year.