Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their numbers are $42M short, likely because they don't have all the numbers. So it's possible that his final 3 years have a base salary of $14M.

yep.

@salsports

That page and those numbers are without yet knowing his 2019 and beyond base salary. @spotrac does a great job by the way.

If he plays like an established starter the whole 6 years he may have left 30-40m on the table to get 7m today

I think it's fair for some to point that out. I think a lot of people are so quick to boil it down to a one-line take on the deal that you have to pull a lot of opinions to get a full discussion. Just my take on the hot takes the first 12 hours

Agreed on the long term deal...but he trades that for short term (3 years) security. Actually a better deal the Osweiller

Great news.

I cannot believe they signed Taylor and did not have to break the bank to do so. They will have a top tier, probably top 5 this year, NFL quarterback and they put themselves in a great position to build a strong team around him as well.

Will prove to be one of the Bills best moves ever, I believe.

Cowherd is a Pat fan, not surprising. Still, I lose respect for people when they take shots at the city. They don't know the people. They don't know the history. Shut your mouth, you haven't walked in our shoes.

...and as Pats fans it's very rare that they know football.

It's funny that people get paid to talk about a salary cap that they don't understand.

Of course not. But, it can be argued he left money on the table. Bottom line, it doesn't look like either side got greedy here, and that can only mean good things for upcoming roster moves.

So if Taylor truly bet on himself with 100% certainty, he wouldn't have signed this deal. If he was so confident in himself (overly so) he would have played out the year and forced the Bills hand assuming he preformed above expectations. I think he played it much smarter than that scenario.

So if Taylor truly bet on himself with 100% certainty, he wouldn't have signed this deal. If he was so confident in himself (overly so) he would have played out the year and forced the Bills hand assuming he preformed above expectations. I think he played it much smarter than that scenario.

Maybe? I guess? But that gets back to my previous post and how we can't possibly know all the internal motivations here.

This deal convinces me that Taylor is a class act , not get as much money as possible like some players.

Not sure it's class as much as being smart enough to not look a gift horse in the mouth. It's just an offer he'd be crazy to refuse. He had no leverage. I think the Bills showed class by making this happen.

Edited by Gugny

Not sure it's class as much as being smart enough to not look a gift horse in the mouth. It's just an offer he'd be crazy to refuse. He had no leverage. I think the Bills showed class by making this happen.

It really is a great deal for both sides. Tyrod gets an extra $7.5M (or whatever it was) in exchange for giving the Bills the option to lock him up long-term at potentially a lower than market value price (depending on his performance). It was a win-win.

I believe that this structure will set the bar moving forward for guys that a team wants to see more out of. It would have been ideal for someone like Tannehill for example. Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, Bortles and Winston may all fall towards something like this.

It really is a great deal for both sides. Tyrod gets an extra $7.5M (or whatever it was) in exchange for giving the Bills the option to lock him up long-term at potentially a lower than market value price (depending on his performance). It was a win-win.

I believe that this structure will set the bar moving forward for guys that a team wants to see more out of. It would have been ideal for someone like Tannehill for example. Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, Bortles and Winston may all fall towards something like this.

Why would someone of elite caliber (not saying that these guys are) agree to this type of contract? Look at Brock. He banked in on FA. Carr and Bridgewater could turn out to be legitimate options at QB and I'm sure there will be plenty of teams willing to pay a pretty penny for their man.

That being said: The deal works for someone like Tyrod because of the uncertainty surrounding his long-term abilities. Teams like Tampa and Tennessee will have had 4 or more years to evaluate their guys who are currently being paid on rookie contracts.

Edited by AlwaysBilleve

If he plays like an established starter the whole 6 years he may have left 30-40m on the table to get 7m today

I think it's fair for some to point that out. I think a lot of people are so quick to boil it down to a one-line take on the deal that you have to pull a lot of opinions to get a full discussion. Just my take on the hot takes the first 12 hours

If he plays well long-term he'll have left money on the table. No doubt.

But I think Taylor's willingness to sign this deal is a direct result of past (or lack of) earnings. He's 5 years into the league and hasn't sniffed his big pay day. The Bills knew this, and realized with only one above average season on his resume, TT wasn't in the position to leverage a huge payday based on past performances. In a nutshell, this mutually beneficial deal had just as much to do with last season, as it did with Tyrod being a career back up the majority of his career.

This is a great move. Tyrod may or may not be an elite QB. But even maybes like Osweiler are commanding big money on the open market because a maybe is worth far more than a no.

The escape clause after year 1 to protect the Bills shows TT is clearly willing to gamble on his own performance.

It ought to have been an easy roll of the dice for the Bills. Tyrod's performance last year created more hope than we've had from that position in a long, long time. And Roman's been raving about TT this off-season. There aren't a lot of certainties in football and you need to pay premium dollars for possibilities.

My only disappointment was Whaley's remarks. Before the contract is signed, he's supposed to hide his enthusiasm as a negotiation ploy. But after the contract is inked, the GM needs to show his belief. The whole not-greedy, play-the-hand-your-dealt schtick was dumb. TT's our man now. Pat him the back. Stroke his ego. Show him some love. To maximize Tyrod's chances of success, we want him to feel supported and the team to know the organization believes in him.

Tyrod actually gets an extra $10M first two years if he kept his original deal and played under the tag next...ala Kirk Cousins.

Why would someone of elite caliber (not saying that these guys are) agree to this type of contract? Look at Brock. He banked in on FA. Carr and Bridgewater could turn out to be legitimate options at QB and I'm sure there will be plenty of teams willing to pay a pretty penny for their man.

That being said: The deal works for someone like Tyrod because of the uncertainty surrounding his long-term abilities. Teams like Tampa and Tennessee will have had 4 or more years to evaluate their guys who are currently being paid on rookie contracts.

Brock cashed in because Von Miller was a free agent as well, and Denver used the tag on him instead of Brock. As it is, Brock essentially has a two-year deal at less then tag money...not breaking the bank as everyone keeps saying. If he sucks first two years, Texans release with not much cap hit. So his cash in was essentially one year at slightly less then tag money.

And i agree 100% on the other guys playing on rookie contracts..4-year(really 5) evaluation instead of 1 year, or 5 games like Brock. That's why neither of those guys got crazy money..they got prove it contracts in line with their experience, and the team gets them at good money if they prove it.

Edited by plenzmd1

:lol: Deal seems incredibly short-sigted on somebody's part.... Not sure who's just yet... All I know is that i was totally under-whelmed by Tyrod's performance last season... Would've given him the job, of course, but I think it's a FAR better plan to let him EARN a big contract.. 'prove his worth', so to speak... If I had to bet on this deal working out, OR coming back to bite somebody in the rear, I know where my money'd be.