Ranking ALL Buffalo Bill QB's who have started ONE Game

My Brother, having nothing better to do, started a thread with his friends that created the following list that rated the BILLS QB's from Best to Worst.

In Buffalo’s 55 years of existence, there have been 3 franchise QB’s, 3 good QB’s, 2 average QB’s, and 19 QB’s that suck.

1. ==== Franchise QBs ====

2. Jim Kelly

3. Joe Ferguson

4. Jack Kemp

5. ==== Good QBs ====

6. Doug Flutie

7. Tyrod Taylor

8. Frank Reich

9. ==== Average QBs ====

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Ryan Fitzpatrick

12. ==== QBs that Suck ====

13. Kyle Orton

14. Dennis Shaw

15. Daryl Lamonica

16. Trent Edwards

17. Thad Lewis

18. Rob Johnson

19. Kelly Holcomb

20. Bruce Matheson

21. Dan Manucci

22. Ed Ruthkowski

23. Vince Ferragamo

24. Alex Van Pelt

25. EJ Manuel

26. JP Losman

27. Todd Collins

28. Gary Marangi

29. Brian Brohm

30. Billy Joe Holbert

31. Jeff Tuel

We are interested in hearing any comments...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Joe is ranked too high.

Billy Joe should not even be listed as "==== QBs that Suck ===="

Billy Joe should should be listed as "==== QBs that did not even try ===="

Thad is ranked kind of high.

Agree.

EJ should be ranked higher despite disdain on this board - 19 TDs in 16 games is a lot better than Thad Lewis and a lot above him could accomplish. It is a political ranking.

Solid list. I was watching an NFL Network show and old Bills guys were talking about why they drafted Frank. They said it was because he played his best in high pressure situations. Damn they were rite. Reich was one of the best back up QBs of all time at least in a Bills uni.

Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison are not nearly low enough. Joe Dufek is last and will always be last until the Bills start an actual dead person at QB. How about Brian McClure, are we not counting strike scabs? Dennis Shaw was Offensive ROY in 1970 so that automatically puts him ahead of a bunch of guys.

Lamonica absolutely positively did not suck. My grandmother would tell you until the day she died about how pissed off she was when they traded him to Oakland.

Others missing:

Matt Cassel

Leo Hart

Dan Darragh

James Harris

Kay Stephenson

Tom Flores

Warren Rabb

Al Dorow

Johnny Green

MC Reynolds

Tommy O"Connell

Bob Brodhead

and Richie Lucas (our 1st ever draft choice)

Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison are not nearly low enough. Joe Dufek is last and will always be last until the Bills start an actual dead person at QB. How about Brian McClure, are we not counting strike scabs? Dennis Shaw was Offensive ROY in 1970 so that automatically puts him ahead of a bunch of guys.

Lamonica absolutely positively did not suck. My grandmother would tell you until the day she died about how pissed off she was when they traded him to Oakland.

Others missing:

Matt Cassel

Leo Hart

Dan Darragh

James Harris

Kay Stephenson

Tom Flores

Warren Rabb

Al Dorow

Johnny Green

MC Reynolds

Tommy O"Connell

Bob Brodhead

and Richie Lucas (our 1st ever draft choice)

The only one on that list worth a damn is James Harris.

Excellent Job with the list. Agree with Fergy near the top of the list. Never got his due.

A few months ago, actually watched a YouTube replay of the 1980-81 playoff game against the chargers that we lost. In that game alone, Fergy, with a broken foot, through more 20 yard darts over the middle of the field then we've seen in total over the last 5 years (a tad of an exaggeration, but you get the point).A guy who had an arm, could throw to a spot, and was tough.

My Brother, having nothing better to do, started a thread with his friends that created the following list that rated the BILLS QB's from Best to Worst.

In Buffalo’s 55 years of existence, there have been 3 franchise QB’s, 3 good QB’s, 2 average QB’s, and 19 QB’s that suck.

2. Jim Kelly

3. Joe Ferguson

4. Jack Kemp

5. ==== Good QBs ====

6. Doug Flutie

7. Tyrod Taylor

8. Frank Reich

9. ==== Average QBs ====

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Ryan Fitzpatrick

13. Kyle Orton

14. Dennis Shaw

15. Daryl Lamonica

16. Trent Edwards

17. Thad Lewis

18. Rob Johnson

19. Kelly Holcomb

20. Bruce Matheson

21. Dan Manucci

22. Ed Ruthkowski

23. Vince Ferragamo

24. Alex Van Pelt

25. EJ Manuel

26. JP Losman

27. Todd Collins

28. Gary Marangi

29. Brian Brohm

30. Billy Joe Holbert

31. Jeff Tuel

You just summed up the main reason why the Bills have sucked for most of their existence. Well done sir.

2. Jim Kelly

3. Joe Ferguson

4. Jack Kemp

5. ==== Good QBs ====

6. Doug Flutie

7. Tyrod Taylor

8. Frank Reich

9. ==== Average QBs ====

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Ryan Fitzpatrick

13. Kyle Orton

14. Dennis Shaw

15. Daryl Lamonica

16. Trent Edwards

17. Thad Lewis

18. Rob Johnson

19. Kelly Holcomb

20. Bruce Matheson

21. Dan Manucci

22. Ed Ruthkowski

23. Vince Ferragamo

24. Alex Van Pelt

25. EJ Manuel

26. JP Losman

27. Todd Collins

28. Gary Marangi

29. Brian Brohm

30. Billy Joe Holbert

31. Jeff Tuel

i thought dennis shaw was decent.. didnt really "suck".. far from world class, but "ok'..

Excellent Job with the list. Agree with Fergy near the top of the list. Never got his due.

A few months ago, actually watched a YouTube replay of the 1980-81 playoff game against the chargers that we lost. In that game alone, Fergy, with a broken foot, through more 20 yard darts over the middle of the field then we've seen in total over the last 5 years (a tad of an exaggeration, but you get the point).A guy who had an arm, could throw to a spot, and was tough.

That was simply a unforgettable game. Fergy, played when in today's NFL ,anyone with that injury would be sitting in the owners box.

In any game he wore his emotions on his sleeves. INT or 3 and out. he would walk off the field shoulders slumped and pissed off.

Bruce Mathison, in his one season, was not better than Todd Collins, in his one season. Believe you me. Nor was he better than JP Losman, or really, any Bills QB ever. And how was Trent Edwards decidedly better than JP Losman? Losman had a better season in '06 than Edwards ever had. Honestly this is not a good list at all. Not trying to be overly critical but you're way off.

And how is Ferguson ahead of Kemp??

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I liked Ferguson but agree with 26 that he was not "franchise". I don't know where to put Reich because of his limited time on the field.

I think you were a little harsh to Lamonica and EJ, too easy on Glove Wearing Mary and WAAAAAY off on Flutie who belongs in the upper third of QBs who sucked.

Orton is a little too high as well.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I mean really, it's worth stating again: Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison platooned during the '85 season (their only season as Bills QB's- was the season between Ferguson and Kelly), which was the worst season and certainly the worst QB'd season in Bills history. How can they both be ahead of Manuel, Losman and Collins, all three of whom were at least serviceable at times. How old are you anyway?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1985.htm

I mean anyone who's younger and wants to learn a little Bills history, look at the 1985 Bills season. They scored 200 points in 16 games. They were 2-14. Mathison and Ferragamo combined for 9 TD's and 31 INT's. That is not better than Manuel, Losman and Todd Collins. You are lacking some serious perspective here.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Pretty putrid list. I would move:

Kemp to Good

Fergy, Reich, and TT (with the arrow pointing up) to Average

and Brain Dead Drew to Suck.

Whatever, Bledsoe was actually pretty damn good in 2002 and at least led them to a winning record in 2004. In no universe did he "suck."

Whatever, Bledsoe was actually pretty damn good in 2002 and at least led them to a winning record in 2004. In no universe did he "suck."

He sucked the 2nd half in 2002, was beyond brutal in 2003, had very little to do with any wins in 2004, and was the main reason why the Bills lost to the 3rd-string Steelers. He was the definition of the word SUCK, and no amount of revisionist spinning will ever change that fact.

He sucked the 2nd half in 2002, was beyond brutal in 2003, had very little to do with any wins in 2004, and was the main reason why the Bills lost to the 3rd-string Steelers. He was the definition of the word SUCK, and no amount of revisionist spinning will ever change that fact.

Rico : Bledsoe = Gugny : Taylor apparently. He was not "the definition of the word 'suck'."

Rico : Bledsoe = Gugny : Taylor apparently. He was not "the definition of the word 'suck'."

Night and day. Only a handful of people think that TT sucks, and only a handful of people think that Brain Dead Drew did not suck.

All you guys that said Fergy was ranked too high can suck it!!!!! :censored::censored: The guy threw the ball with precision and had an underrated rocket for an arm. He brought Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis into the limelight . A fierce competitor who took us to the playoffs. He belongs right where he is.

All you guys that said Fergy was ranked too high can suck it!!!!! :censored::censored: The guy threw the ball with precision and had an underrated rocket for an arm. He brought Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis into the limelight . A fierce competitor who took us to the playoffs. He belongs right where he is.

Franchise QB? Nope! The Bills have had exactly ONE of those is their entire history and his name (obviously) is Jim Kelly.

Franchise QB? Nope! The Bills have had exactly ONE of those is their entire history and his name (obviously) is Jim Kelly.

Depends on your definition of "franchise QB"...if "franchise" is defined as taking you to the Superbowl, then yes, I agree. But Kemp took us to Championship games

Depends on your definition of "franchise QB"...if "franchise" is defined as taking you to the Superbowl, then yes, I agree. But Kemp took us to Championship games

Yes he did, but the strength of those championship teams was by far the outstanding defense and the strong running game. The Bills were the 1st AFL team to be built like the rival NFL teams of that era.