Ranking ALL Buffalo Bill QB's who have started ONE Game

I mean really, it's worth stating again: Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison platooned during the '85 season (their only season as Bills QB's- was the season between Ferguson and Kelly), which was the worst season and certainly the worst QB'd season in Bills history. How can they both be ahead of Manuel, Losman and Collins, all three of whom were at least serviceable at times. How old are you anyway?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1985.htm

I mean anyone who's younger and wants to learn a little Bills history, look at the 1985 Bills season. They scored 200 points in 16 games. They were 2-14. Mathison and Ferragamo combined for 9 TD's and 31 INT's. That is not better than Manuel, Losman and Todd Collins. You are lacking some serious perspective here.

I will match your bad quarterbacking 85 Buffalo Bills and raise you to the bad quarterbacking 68 Buffalo Bills. How about 7 Td's, 28 INt combined with a 41.3% completion percentage. It got so bad between injuries and incompetence that we started wr/db Ed Rutkowski to finish the season. The high point of his QB career was to fumble at the one yard line on a Thanksgiving Day at the end of the game that we lost 13-10. Had he scored we would have picked 2nd in the draft instead of first and instead of OJ Simpson we would have had Leroy Keyes. So we got that going for us.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Job with the list. Agree with Fergy near the top of the list. Never got his due.

A few months ago, actually watched a YouTube replay of the 1980-81 playoff game against the chargers that we lost. In that game alone, Fergy, with a broken foot, through more 20 yard darts over the middle of the field then we've seen in total over the last 5 years (a tad of an exaggeration, but you get the point).A guy who had an arm, could throw to a spot, and was tough.

Totally agree. Was the next best Bills QB next to Jim Kelly!!!!

Yes he did, but the strength of those championship teams was by far the outstanding defense and the strong running game. The Bills were the 1st AFL team to be built like the rival NFL teams of that era.

So you're saying that Jim Kelly's teams were not based on running game or strong defense? So he meets the definition of "franchise"? I disagree with that definition of "franchise".

A "franchise" QB is one who the team relies on to deliver leadership, athleticism and consistent performance on the field, an integral part of the success of the team and one who can't be replaced on a year to year basis. Especially at the QB position. Ferguson was a franchise QB in that the other members of the team (Cribbs, Butler, Lewis, etc) relied on his intellect and dedication to the game (he was rarely out with injury). One can argue that Ferguson's defense was less impressive than our D in the 90's. Cribbs played well but he was no Thurman Thomas. I think Ferguson is a franchise QB (but not of the same degree as Kelly)

Edited by BringBackFergy

I would say that if nothing else, I would agree with the OP's top 13 QB's- in some order. In other words, that wouldn't be my order but I would agree that those are probably the top 13. But after that, it's almost as if he's picking names out of a hat. The order is completely random and has absolutely zero rhyme or reason to it.

So you're saying that Jim Kelly's teams were not based on running game or strong defense? So he meets the definition of "franchise"? I disagree.

A "franchise" QB is one who the team relies on to deliver leadership, athleticism and consistent performance on the field, an integral part of the success of the team and one who can't be replaced on a year to year basis. Especially at the QB position. Ferguson was a franchise QB in that the other members of the team (Cribbs, Butler, Lewis, etc) relied on his intellect and dedication to the game (he was rarely out with injury). One can argue that Ferguson's defense was less impressive than our D in the 90's. Cribbs played well but he was no Thurman Thomas. I think Ferguson is a franchise QB (but not of the same degree as Kelly)

I'm judging a Franchise QB in terms of an ability to carry a team to victory on the strength of their talent as well as other qualities. Kemp was often pulled in games in favor of Lamonica to give the Bills' offense a spark. No way that ever happened to Kelly when he was healthy. Kemp was gutty and a great leader, but in my book he simply was not a franchise QB like his contemporary Joe Namath.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Great topic. So many terrible QBs, which speaks volumes.

My thoughts: D. Flutie was better than most give him credit for. He deserves to be #4 overall.

T. Taylor has a lot to prove to be where he is.

Fitzpatrick and Lamonica could both be higher on the list.

Bledsoe was good with the Pats. He totally sucked with the Bills.

The remaining QBs on the list should be tied for last. None of them were worth a damn.

Daryle Lamonica went 66–16–4 as a starter, good for a 78.4% winning percentage, second best in NFL history

after he was traded to Oakland , very big mistake . " The Mad Bomber"

Interesting list. Shows you why the Bills have lost more than they've won.

Bruce Matheson was pretty bad, should be below JP. Lamonica should go up several spots.

I saw something a few days back, that listed Losman as one of the worst QB's in NFL history. It had Leaf as the worst.

All you guys that said Fergy was ranked too high can suck it!!!!! :censored::censored: The guy threw the ball with precision and had an underrated rocket for an arm. He brought Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis into the limelight . A fierce competitor who took us to the playoffs. He belongs right where he is.

No offense, but I watched Joe play at the stadium in that 77 season, Fergy went 3-11 while playing in a full 14 games. Then throwing 12 TD's and 24 INT's and that man would hang his head with every bad throw...at times he looked so frustrated that he would just throw the ball up for grabs at the end of a bad series. He also went 1-10 under Kay Stephenson in 1984.

Chuck Knox got there and really resurrected his career and then playing in that Chargers playoff game with a bad leg showed he had a heart of a lion! But even in that 1980 playoff year he threw 20 TD's and 18 INT's and again in 81 with 24 TD's and 18 INT's. 79-92 career.

--------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that sucked about Daryle Lamonica (nicknamed "the fireman" because he would come into games that Kemp would get hurt in and win the game) was that Wilson traded him to the Raiders! In his six years with the Raiders, they went to 5 playoff games and a Super Bowl! 66-16-6 career

-----------------------------------------------------

Whatever, Bledsoe was actually pretty damn good in 2002 and at least led them to a winning record in 2004. In no universe did he "suck."

I agree with this and had the Bills built a better line they would have made the playoffs with Bledsoe at QB. If well protected he would rip any team a new one. Once flustered from a heavy rush he would start seeing phantom rushers...kinda like JP used to do all the time. 98-95 career

------------------------------------------------------

Orton should be average. Over 3,000 yards and 18 touchdowns doesn't suck.

I also agree with this! This man coming off the bench in week 5 and then going 7-5 behind the league's worst offensive line. Then Orton throwing 447 times in those 11 games with the Bills having almost no rushing attack during those games also tells me that the dufus OC was forcing the QB to carry the offense. 87-82 career

Ej is better than Thad and Trent IMO.

For all his worts, he is more likely to keep throwing unlike Trent and Thad is Fitz with a better arm and worse accuracy

I agree, Trent may be my least favorite Bills player of all-time. I thought that he was gutless.

I agree, Trent may be my least favorite Bills player of all-time. I thought that he was gutless.

Murph: If you were a Bills fan, would you have booed you today?

Trent: I don't know. I am not a Bills fan, I am an NFL quarterback.....something something something. I stopped listening after I am not a bills fan