Bills Should Go After Joe Thomas

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The Bills want to be a power run team. Which many people see as a mistake because the NFL is a passing league. I think as defenses shift more and more towards the nickle and emphasizing more on the cornerback position rather than the linebackers, there is a window for great running/defensive teams to take advantage and make a little noise.

If the Bills are going to be a run first team, I want them to be able to run the ball at will like the Chiefs teams under Vermeil. Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, etc. They were able to run the ball at will because their offensive line was so good. They made a star out of Larry Johnson.

While the Bills were able to run the ball very well last year, they were not able to run the ball at will and in all situations. Right now we have the left side of the line locked down and we have been trying to land Slauson, but I would rather just go get Joe Thomas and put him at RT.

If we were to get Thomas we would have a Pro-Bowl caliber player at 4 of 5 positions on the offensive line. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer and having him on the right side would make it a hell of a lot easier on Miller or whoever else might be at right guard. He would probably be the best RT in the NFL. You would have one of the best lines in the NFL and I think a team that could challenge for more than a playoff spot this year.

I know people will have reservations. How will we fit him under the cap? The first thing I would do is cut Jerome Felton. I think we got him as he started to decline. He missed a lot of big blocks last year. I don't see him beating out Little Gronk who I feel Roman will find more uses for. I would also let Graham go to make this happen. He is on the decline and although it would be nice to have him in the secondary, I think having a dominate offensive line and adding one of the best lineman in the league will be more beneficial for this team going forward.

Thomas has a cap hit of $9.5 million in 2016 and $10 million in 17'-18'. I know that is a lot but considering what tackles are getting now, it is a bargain for him. I also understand that is a lot to give a right tackle, but he is a special player and for what we are trying to do on offense, I think he could help us get to the next level.

Another benefit is when his contract ends you may be able to resign him. Even though he will be 34 he will probably be still good enough to move into LG for Incognito and play at a high level or even still be good enough to play at a high level at RT.

It would probably take a second round pick, maybe a little more. I know that is a high price but for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years I would be willing to do it. Go into the season with a dominant offensive line and the ability to impose your will in the run game and have a true offensive identity.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Pipe dreams are best expressed in long posts on TSW.

Whaley has been saying what the Bills' priorities are since the end of the 2015 season. I guess not everyone has been listening and watching what they have actually been doing.

Joe Thomas cap hit in 2016 - $9.5 million. Current Bills cap space having not yet even signed our draft picks - $6.3 million. Just another video game pipe dream without any real thought behind it.

Joe Thomas cap hit in 2016 - $9.5 million. Current Bills cap space having not yet even signed our draft picks - $6.3 million. Just another video game pipe dream without any real thought behind it.

FYI:

@mikerodak

The Bills have gained about $7.5M in 2016 cap room by extending Cordy Glenn. They now have $14.207M in 2016 cap room.

The Browns TURNED DOWN the Broncos' 1st round pick for Thomas at the trade deadline last year. I know, Thomas is another year older, and it's a different front office, now, so I mention this not as much as a "they would never part with him", but more as a "what a colossal mistake".

The Browns TURNED DOWN the Broncos' 1st round pick for Thomas at the trade deadline last year. I know, Thomas is another year older, and it's a different front office, now, so I mention this not as much as a "they would never part with him", but more as a "what a colossal mistake".

Just another reason why this is a video game pipe dream.

Whaley has been saying what the Bills' priorities are since the end of the 2015 season. I guess not everyone has been listening and watching what they have actually been doing.

Oh, no they listen and watch. They just don't care what was said. Want what they want all else be damned.

The Bills want to be a power run team. Which many people see as a mistake because the NFL is a passing league. I think as defenses shift more and more towards the nickle and emphasizing more on the cornerback position rather than the linebackers, there is a window for great running/defensive teams to take advantage and make a little noise.

If the Bills are going to be a run first team, I want them to be able to run the ball at will like the Chiefs teams under Vermeil. Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, etc. They were able to run the ball at will because their offensive line was so good. They made a star out of Larry Johnson.

While the Bills were able to run the ball very well last year, they were not able to run the ball at will and in all situations. Right now we have the left side of the line locked down and we have been trying to land Slauson, but I would rather just go get Joe Thomas and put him at RT.

If we were to get Thomas we would have a Pro-Bowl caliber player at 4 of 5 positions on the offensive line. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer and having him on the right side would make it a hell of a lot easier on Miller or whoever else might be at right guard. He would probably be the best RT in the NFL. You would have one of the best lines in the NFL and I think a team that could challenge for more than a playoff spot this year.

I know people will have reservations. How will we fit him under the cap? The first thing I would do is cut Jerome Felton. I think we got him as he started to decline. He missed a lot of big blocks last year. I don't see him beating out Little Gronk who I feel Roman will find more uses for. I would also let Graham go to make this happen. He is on the decline and although it would be nice to have him in the secondary, I think having a dominate offensive line and adding one of the best lineman in the league will be more beneficial for this team going forward.

Thomas has a cap hit of $9.5 million in 2016 and $10 million in 17'-18'. I know that is a lot but considering what tackles are getting now, it is a bargain for him. I also understand that is a lot to give a right tackle, but he is a special player and for what we are trying to do on offense, I think he could help us get to the next level.

Another benefit is when his contract ends you may be able to resign him. Even though he will be 34 he will probably be still good enough to move into LG for Incognito and play at a high level or even still be good enough to play at a high level at RT.

It would probably take a second round pick, maybe a little more. I know that is a high price but for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years I would be willing to do it. Go into the season with a dominant offensive line and the ability to impose your will in the run game and have a true offensive identity.

I agree with the premise. Having a RT that good would allow Roman to just pound the snockers out of teams all day long !

But when you start looking at the details it becomes more difficult to accomplish. Are best bet for now is to hope Henderson gets healthy and coached up. and no more injuries occur.

keep in mind there is still a chance some players become available when cut downs occur that might be better than Mills.

Honestly though i think Bills are only going to add depth on the line this year.

But I too would love to upgrade RT to the level of Joe Thomas!!

And what about Gilmore? This is one of endless threads about "what if" we get Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlesberger, bring Calvin Johnson out of retirement, and so on.

None of these mean a thing. They are all fluff, and there is zero chance we go after or get Joe Thomas, nor is it a good idea at his age.

We have a decent team, need young talent of we pick up anyone, and will build through the draft. It's more important we sign studs to their second contract, vs. letting them walk out the door like Gilmore.

Lastly, not slamming the OP, just saying let's focus on the boring work through the draft, get role players, and not worry about guys past their prime as that is how you get in cap hell.

I'd like to add him but wouldn't want to give up a second to do it. We will just have to draft one next year (of course I thought that this yr, maybe somebody steps up but I doubt it)

It'd take me all night to point out everything wrong with this post so I'll just hit some high points:

- Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL. He's a wonderful technician, which is great for a LT. But you want to put him at RT and run a power game behind him. That would not work well.

- The Browns won't trade him unless they get a big premium. Think a first round pick plus another pick. The Bills aren't in a place they can - or should want to - do that.

- The Bills don't have the cap space for him and he wants his money.

I'm just going to call it there.

I agree with your concept but I don't think your specifics would work. As long as we have Rex then expect our offense to be run oriented. I not only would like to see the right side of the OL be upgraded and solidified but I also think that the Bills should be concerned with our whole OL. Cordy is the only one, barring injury, that I feel will be solid for years to come. Is there a replacement/back up to Incognito? I don't think so and him and Wood are no spring chickens. I would like to see next year's draft heavily geared towards the OL. I do believe that we'll be able to add some quality this year still with some teams expected to be cutting players in the near future, or at least I hope so. In next year's draft I would to see the Bills dedicating at least 2 picks for the OL, 2-3 picks for the front 7 of the defense and 2 picks for the secondary.

Btw, a shout out to you 3rd and 12 for being a nice guy and responding to this guy's post in a cordial and polite way. This bashing and ridiculing of people who post their thoughts and opinions is getting to be way too much. There's no problem with disagreeing with someone but the way some of you treat fellow Bills' fans is sickening.

Pass, you don't give up a primo pick for a RT that's older and going to cost a lot on your cap. The Bills have to resign Gilmore and possibly give a big deal to Taylor. I don't think they can afford both if they add another big cap number. Now that's not saying RT isn't a big need on the roster but I would rather roll with what's on the roster right now if it means that they can have a good chance at retaining Gilmore and TT as well as keep their draft choices.

I really think we need to get a RT vet before training camp begins. I think a more possible target may be Anthony Davis. His health is an issue with his concussions driving him to retirement last year. His relationship with the 49ers is very sour. If he does come back, as he claims he wants to, I would give him an incentive laced contract which could pay him what he deserves if he can come back and be the RT we was before the injuries. Not a lot of guarentees since he is a gamble after retiring once. He was not a Joe Thomas, but still an elite RT. He is young and talented, health & determination are the huge issue with him. I'd say he is the best option at this point. Does anyone know if it is tampering to talk to an officially retired player? I realize he has to clear with the 49ers if he comes back, but can a team talk turkey with him before he officially comes back?

Can you guarantee they're going to get hurt?

They are already

As it turns out, the illness that Bills tackle Seantrel Henderson is battling is Crohn's disease. He's lost 20 pounds because of it, and may not play again this season. 2015
Doctors told the Bills' safety he may have to choose another career and Williams described the injury in scary detail, so the fact that he was on the football field is a positive sign.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/buffalo_bills_safety_aaron_williams_played_through_numbness_had_neck_surgery_and.html

I agree with your concept but I don't think your specifics would work. As long as we have Rex then expect our offense to be run oriented. I not only would like to see the right side of the OL be upgraded and solidified but I also think that the Bills should be concerned with our whole OL. Cordy is the only one, barring injury, that I feel will be solid for years to come. Is there a replacement/back up to Incognito? I don't think so and him and Wood are no spring chickens. I would like to see next year's draft heavily geared towards the OL. I do believe that we'll be able to add some quality this year still with some teams expected to be cutting players in the near future, or at least I hope so. In next year's draft I would to see the Bills dedicating at least 2 picks for the OL, 2-3 picks for the front 7 of the defense and 2 picks for the secondary.

Btw, a shout out to you 3rd and 12 for being a nice guy and responding to this guy's post in a cordial and polite way. This bashing and ridiculing of people who post their thoughts and opinions is getting to be way too much. There's no problem with disagreeing with someone but the way some of you treat fellow Bills' fans is sickening.

Well said!!

shouldn't there be some kind of TSW IQ test before posters can join? this post sort of sets a new low for lack of Bills IQ

sure should be.

but i would not have met the mark.

I have no idea what is going on.

But i do enjoy talking about the Bills

10 year LT for millions? Yeah, sweet move.

Browns passed on Adrian Peterson to pick Thomas that year.

what is the point of this comment?

You degrading Thomas? Peterson perhaps? or jumping on to bash the Browns bandwagon? Or all the above perhaps.

I do believe that we may sign a good tackle who may be a salary cap cut from another team. Not a Thomas level but a solid OT.

If Bills are not settled , and Whaley always says" if there is a chance to improve the Team, they will" Thing is we do not know how Hendy is doing health wise much less his football development.

Hope kromer can get him to perform, he has the physical measurables

Absolutely, 100% will not happen. The Bills have to save up some cap space for Taylor, Gilmore, or both. They are not taking on any big new contracts, because then they would lose those two. Going into next year without a QB whatsoever...not a good idea. Losing your best CB...not very good either...

8 and 8, nice comment on 3/12. He's always a class act. I try to do the same, but not as eloquent as the 12 ster. I appreciate different points of view, but tune out when two or more people immediately get personal and start attacking each other. The sad part is many of the guys make valid football points, but just feel they have to attack the other vs. just provide an opposing view.

This site would be so darn boring if we all agreed, but we can still have respect for each other. Heck I'm even agreeing with Weo these days (just kidding bud as I know you can take it).

I know a bunch of the guys wanted now Thomas, but before Slauson. I still was a little perplexed we didn't take a reasonable flier on Jhari Evans. He's been a stud in NO, shouldn't cost a lot, and no giving up any draft picks. He's a short term patch for a year or two. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone picking him up. Even if only in a rotation with Miller, and could flex to RT. If you have to deal with an average RT, like Mills, placing a very good RG would make it easier, with. TE when needed for max protection.

sure should be.

but i would not have met the mark.

I have no idea what is going on.

But i do enjoy talking about the Bills

what is the point of this comment?

You degrading Thomas? Peterson perhaps? or jumping on to bash the Browns bandwagon? Or all the above perhaps.

If Bills are not settled , and Whaley always says" if there is a chance to improve the Team, they will" Thing is we do not know how Hendy is doing health wise much less his football development.

Hope kromer can get him to perform, he has the physical measurables

Bashing Browns, yes. "degrading" Thomas, no. Degrading Peterson...wtf? How did you figure that.

I was stating that picking Thomas (or any LT) over a guy like Peterson (a several generation talent) when you suck is a typical blunder bad teams (and the Browns in particular) make.

All a guy like Thomas was ever going do was just what he did--rack up a ton of personal accolades and have zero point zero effect on the fortunes of the team that drafted him. When you are desperate for a game changer, you never pick an O-lineman.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

shouldn't there be some kind of TSW IQ test before posters can join? this post sort of sets a new low for lack of Bills IQ

Ok, I think I have had enough. I appreciate those who can respond without doing their best to insult the opinion of a poster or the poster themselves. Nowadays it it would sadly seem that those people are in the minority. Some people come to these boards to try to prove how witty they are by tossing around insults rather than to exchange ideas with other football junkies. I try my best to ignore them because frankly they are immature, and I feel there are likely trying to gain some sense of superiority over other posters, to make up for areas in there day to day life that are lacking. It is kind of sad.

I have watched football my whole life and played in my younger days and was/am actually pretty good. I am not going to sit here and tell all of you I am the most knowledgeable football mind on this board but I know my stuff and I think if people read the content of my posts in the future, regardless of their opinion of this post, they will come to that conclusion. The point of the original post was to demonstrate my feeling that if we are going to be a run heavy team, we don't need a good line but a dominant one. A offensive line that can run the ball in tough situations and know that they are almost always going to get that yard or two because we are just stronger and tougher up front. Like the Vermeil Chiefs or the Niners of a few years ago.

So I guess the 3 main points of contention that those who are critical of the original post are:

1. The Browns aren't trading Joe Thomas.

Maybe this is true, but my thinking was the Browns did almost trade him to the Broncos before the trade deadline for a 1st. Although the Browns reportedly rejected that offer, with Paul DePodesta taking over the Browns and instilling a money ball approach I thought maybe there might be a little more wiggle room to get something done. There were rumors going around pre-draft that Thomas could be available. Also there have been various rumors that while Joe Thomas has not asked for a trade it would be something he would welcome.

2. A 2nd round pick isn't getting Joe Thomas.

I can agree that a second round pick is a low ball offer. Now when I say agree, I am only drawing the conclusion that many posters thought that was a bad offer because I don't think any of them actually said that amidst the competition to hurl out insults as fast and as furiously as possible. What I said in the original post was a 2nd and maybe a little more as I wouldn't be willing to move a first to get this done. The little more maybe being a 3rd or 4th in 2018. I understand this probably doesn't get the deal done but I certainly don't think it warrants the response it received in this thread.

When we try to determine trade value we look back on pasts deals do we not? The only deal that comes to mind where one of the best tackles in the league was traded under contract was when we sent Jason Peters to the Eagles. That got us 28th overall and Jason Peters was 28 at the time. When you take that into account, offering a 2nd and 3rd/4th to a team that is likely to be the worst in the league this year, and has a major rebuild in front of them, for a 31 year old Joe Thomas isn't as nearly as ridiculous as the many of these posters in this thread were making it out to be.

3. Salary Cap

Yes tying up $23 million over the next 3 seasons in your tackles is a lot, but you would have the best tackle combo in the league. The thing is if we somehow did acquire Joe Thomas, I think that would be enough to take this offense to the next level and get into the playoffs this season. We need to get the monkey off our backs. Also look at how fast that thing came together in San Francisco. They went from the bottom to the Super Bowl in about 3 seasons with Colin Freakin Caepernick. I am not saying we would be going to the Super Bowl but our roster is pretty stacked right now and if we did do something like that you never know.

Anthony Davis has been mentioned by many posters as the alternative, and I agree it would be nice to bring him in. I am a bit weary though of trading for someone who just took a year off because maybe he comes back, plays a season and then says "I liked retirement more, I think I'm done." Also he is very active on social media and has used it to criticize Greg Roman as well as the front office of the team he is currently on.

Listen, I know the Bills trading for Joe Thomas is highly unlikely, but how many of you ever thought you would see T.O. in a Bills uniform? I can understand some of the criticism of my original post, but people should realize that actually talking football and throwing around trade ideas are what these boards are for. People shouldn't be ganged up on by those who really have nothing to offer to the discussion other than insults. Especially when many of those insults don't offer any sort of opinion on the actual idea of the post, but are just flat out insults to the poster.

Final two things. To anyone who referred to this trade proposal as a "Madded Trade" you are totally clueless. Also to the guy who questioned my IQ, I have taken a few IQ tests in my life, none in a long time, but I never score below 126 and my highest was 138. I graduated from UB with a History degree and a 3.6 GPA, so go !@#$ yourself.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

The point of the original post was to demonstrate my feeling that if we are going to be a run heavy team, we don't need a good line but a dominant one. A offensive line that can run the ball in tough situations and know that they are almost always going to get that yard or two because we are just stronger and tougher up front. Like the Vermeil Chiefs or the Niners of a few years ago.

I agree with your train of thought wholeheartedly. I think a player and his situation to keep an eye on is the Raven's OT Eugene Monroe. I think that the guy could be gotten and for a reasonable price for the quality of player that he is. I think that it would be better to trade for him instead of taking a chance that the Ravens cut him after June 1st and have him hit the open market, his price would go up considerably. The last 3 years of his current contract is very reasonable for a very good OT.

There's really only 1 concern with him and that is if he can stay healthy. If he could then I believe that the Bills would have a dominate OL.

Bashing Browns, yes. "degrading" Thomas, no. Degrading Peterson...wtf? How did you figure that.

I was stating that picking Thomas (or any LT) over a guy like Peterson (a several generation talent) when you suck is a typical blunder bad teams (and the Browns in particular) make.

All a guy like Thomas was ever going do was just what he did--rack up a ton of personal accolades and have zero point zero effect on the fortunes of the team that drafted him. When you are desperate for a game changer, you never pick an O-lineman.

It was just a question. Trying to figure out your meaning was all : )

I think you have clarified it for me, thanks !

joe thomas is a stud. he would make a great addition.

cleveland tried to trade him last year.

we don't have the cap space for him, gilmore and tyrod.

don't see whaley giving up much in form of draft picks.

this deal doesn't get done.