RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol what?! Except Spikes is older, slower and out of the league. Ridiculous.

proven? HES OUT OF THE LEAGUE!!!!

Spikes is out of the league because he got fat, IIRC. Heard he's been out of plying shape ever since he got in trouble with the law.

Spikes was also suspended for 4 games. I think he'll have to serve them if he comes back.

I think they've already counted as served. The NFL doesn't want to essentially ban guys by suspending mid level free agents

Edited by NoSaint

Rex just said Ragland is his Bart Scott and Alabama plays the "college version" of his defense. Somebody tell 4merper4mer apparently that defense still works.

Ragland and Brown will be the "1-2 punch" in the middle of the D.

Edited by eball

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills Rd2 pick & LB Reggie Ragland told us his favorite hit that he made in college. Thanks, internet, for video: https://t.co/Hrj41RVpAd

Great clean pass break up

Maybe more impressive than the hit was that the other guy even got up after it. Ouch.

That's what happens when you use proper tackling technique instead of that human missile garbage. Both guys get up, no concussions, no injuries. Great hit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, man, the more i look at this pick, the more I like it. I'd be lying if I said there weren't other players I wanted (and felt we could have used/traded to get : A'shawn Robinson, Michael Thomas, Jarran Reed, Deion Jones, and Su'a Cravens), but we clearly had a game plan and stuck with it. The guy is talented, tackles well, and while he isn't going to stick on a speedy W/O, he seems perfectly fine in zone. Not to mention he was the BEST and HIGHEST rated ILB of the draft and we got him in the second round for 2 forth round picks.... that's a pretty fair trade.

For everyone who's upset at this pick, just image if you were a broncos' fan.... Not going to lie the Adam Gotsis pick is either their scouting team being amazing, or a massive mess up.

I thought it was interesting at the combine Ragland was being compared to TAKEO Spikes....not Brandon Spikes

I would take that in a heartbeat

I wish he had Takeo's speed, but other than that, the comparison is an apt one. He doesn't have top end speed, but that's the only element of his game that's lacking. But Brandon Spikes was molasses at the South Pole. There's a comfortable neutral ground between elite speed for LBs and being able to measure a 40 time with a sun dial. Especially when all the other elements are there like they are with Ragland.

GO BILLS!!!

I am going to remind everyone i said " at 49 this would be a fantastic pick for the Bills" But i never ever expected him to drop into the second round, so i thinks it was great move up with the extra 4th.

I will go on notice that the naysayers will have to apologise about this kid once the see him crushing it. and Offenses being forced to play around him.

Great pick at that spot. and he will excel at the LB position

Edited by 3rdand12

4th round is where the QB would've been picked. I'd rather they'd have traded up for Jack.

I had similar thoughts. Technically we overpaid based on the value chart. But I think this was one of those need meets BPA moments. I had him as a second rounder. I hoping for one of those massive DTs in the second making the lbs jobs we have easier. He will struggle in coverage a bit. But can do everything else. He's a leader love that the most. Sounds like Whaley and Rex are trying to recreate the old Ravens defense. After that draft I would have to say they did a great job of bringing in the right talent. Ragland is the LB that this defense needs.

I had similar thoughts. Technically we overpaid based on the value chart. But I think this was one of those need meets BPA moments. I had him as a second rounder. I hoping for one of those massive DTs in the second making the lbs jobs we have easier. He will struggle in coverage a bit. But can do everything else. He's a leader love that the most. Sounds like Whaley and Rex are trying to recreate the old Ravens defense. After that draft I would have to say they did a great job of bringing in the right talent. Ragland is the LB that this defense needs.

Based on what they gave up this year, they underpaid. The fourth rounder next year is of no real concern and the Bills have time to get that back.

Based on what they gave up this year, they underpaid. The fourth rounder next year is of no real concern and the Bills have time to get that back.

especially since they have an extra 5th next year from the Cassel trade. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's a bit like an art auction, value is in the eyes of the buyer. They were willing to trade for the first pick in R2, but got him at 41. It was a steal in the eyes of the Bills but not the naysaying Bills fans. We'll find out this season.

Rex just said Ragland is his Bart Scott and Alabama plays the "college version" of his defense. Somebody tell 4merper4mer apparently that defense still works.

You're basing the supposition that Rex's defense still works on the statement from Rex stating that his defense still works? In college? Against guys that will never sniff the NFL?

Do you think our 2015 defense was #1 in the league? Because Rex said that it would be and you seem to take everything he says as an absolute.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that we seem to have acquired quality players, including Ragland, to replace the quality players Rex was unable to use. But maybe you should notify me that Rex's defense still works......when it actually starts working. It isn't really necessary though because if it happens I will see it with my own eyes and be happy. You can make fun of me all you want and i will happily admit the error of my ways. At this point however, the mocking is premature.

You're basing the supposition that Rex's defense still works on the statement from Rex stating that his defense still works? In college? Against guys that will never sniff the NFL?

Do you think our 2015 defense was #1 in the league? Because Rex said that it would be and you seem to take everything he says as an absolute.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that we seem to have acquired quality players, including Ragland, to replace the quality players Rex was unable to use. But maybe you should notify me that Rex's defense still works......when it actually starts working. It isn't really necessary though because if it happens I will see it with my own eyes and be happy. You can make fun of me all you want and i will happily admit the error of my ways. At this point however, the mocking is premature.

Your crusade (or trolling expedition -- I still haven't decided which) has grown tiresome. There's not a person on this board who hasn't conceded the defense was a disappointment last season. What is entirely up for debate, however, is why it was a disappointment -- which is why I have tuned you out and sent this subtle jab.

We'll see soon enough how the Bills' defense performs.

Your crusade (or trolling expedition -- I still haven't decided which) has grown tiresome. There's not a person on this board who hasn't conceded the defense was a disappointment last season. What is entirely up for debate, however, is why it was a disappointment -- which is why I have tuned you out and sent this subtle jab.

We'll see soon enough how the Bills' defense performs.

Even if our expectations are different I'm sure our hopes are identical.

especially since they have an extra 5th next year from the Cassel trade.

Forgot about that !

It's a bit like an art auction, value is in the eyes of the buyer. They were willing to trade for the first pick in R2, but got him at 41. It was a steal in the eyes of the Bills but not the naysaying Bills fans. We'll find out this season.

I thought the pros all had him mocked in the first and in the top 4 of LBs??

True enough TPS, we shall find out soon enough :thumbsup:

Even if our expectations are different I'm sure our hopes are identical.

I like this statement

So you don't like the Bama defense?

I love the Bama defense and saw pretty much every game in which Ragland has played. I do however think that Rex has a ton of nerve to compare the mess he put on the field last season to the Bama defense. If Bama's defense was that bad, Kirby Smart would have been fired long before the season was over.

That said, enjoy watching Ragland! I am telling you that the kid is always around the football. You are going to appreciate this football player.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I love the Bama defense and saw pretty much every game in which Ragland has played. I do however think that Rex has a ton of nerve to compare the mess he put on the field last season to the Bama defense. If Bama's defense was that bad, Kirby Smart would have been fired long before the season was over.

That said, enjoy watching Ragland! I am telling you that the kid is always around the football. You are going to appreciate this football player.

Good news from a Man who knows Alabama first hand :thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12

Ready to play: Instant-impact rookies

Can Corey Coleman become the playmaker Cleveland fans have dreamed of? Will Braxton Miller rise to the occasion as Houston's WR2? Gil Brandt lists 11 draftees set to contribute right away.

Reggie Ragland, LB, Buffalo Bills

Drafted in: Round 2, No. 41 overall.

Ragland has a lot of the same physical qualities as David Harris, who played extremely well for Rex Ryan when Ryan was with the Jets. I expect Ragland to fill the Harris role under Ryan in Buffalo. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year had 102 tackles and seven pass breakups in 2015. The latter stat is important, because one of the things you worry about with someone who has Ragland's 4.72 speed is the ability to cover tight ends and running backs -- but that was something Ragland clearly was able to do in college. He has very good instincts and strengths, and he's an outstanding tackler. When he gets to 'em, they go down. He's also a great character person. I expect him to rack up 100-plus tackles and improve Buffalo's defense by 7 points per game. amazed.gif

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Ready to play: Instant-impact rookies

Reggie Ragland, LB, Buffalo Bills

Drafted in: Round 2, No. 41 overall.

Ragland has a lot of the same physical qualities as David Harris, who played extremely well for Rex Ryan when Ryan was with the Jets. I expect Ragland to fill the Harris role under Ryan in Buffalo. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year had 102 tackles and seven pass breakups in 2015. The latter stat is important, because one of the things you worry about with someone who has Ragland's 4.72 speed is the ability to cover tight ends and running backs -- but that was something Ragland clearly was able to do in college. He has very good instincts and strengths, and he's an outstanding tackler. When he gets to 'em, they go down. He's also a great character person. I expect him to rack up 100-plus tackles and improve Buffalo's defense by 7 points per game.

I was thinking the same thing regarding David Harris. Definitely some similarities there. Hopefully he can be as good if not better in the near future.

*edit* Now we just need to find our version of Bart Scott. Need that "vocal leader" haha

Edited by Lord_MacDonald