RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

Had to listen to the picks on NFL Radio. I found myself fist pumping when Ragland was selected. Just love the pick and the value. We had an extra 4th this year, so we basically gave away next years 4th to move up and get a 1st round, immediate starter at LB from an NFL style college defense. I could care less about his wonderlic. His speed is more than good for an ILB, especially in a 3-4. I just see a beast who will help with our run support, clog the holes, and overall lead this team.

This pick makes me like the Lawson pick a ton more. I'm very, VERY happy with how this worked out.

Rex....dont know if I have liked you any more then I have at this particular second

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't think QB at all. Round three or later.

Who were you thinking they were taking when you heard there was a trade? I couldn't hear the TV but the analysts must have all suspected QB. I know I would have

I was out to eat. Just getting back now. They had the draft on TV there but I couldn't hear it. Did you guys all freak out when they traded up? Everyone had to be thinking QB. Who trades up to get a MLB besides the Bills?!

Anyhow, I think Ragland will be a good player but I'm concerned that they think he can be the weak side LB. Typically that's a super athletic guy like Bradham or Kiko. I would have pegged Ragland as the thumper guy like what Preston Brown does. I guess we'll see! Whaley wanted him at 19 if Shaq wasn't there so that'd pretty telling

You do realize that OTHER teams were also moving up left and right in the 2nd round of this draft?

Yeah I'm with you. Too much to give up. I wanted a move up but not two fourth rounders for a guy that can only play 40% of the defensive snaps. Reed would have been the better choice. Maybe best to sit tight and take BPA. Then save those fourths to move into the third round and take the FSU PK.

:doh:

Because I don't think he's a 3 down LB. We'll see when teams go hurry up to try and trap him on the field.

If you're going to trade up, then trade up for Jack.

Well, if a team goes hurry up it means they are stuck with the same personnel grouping that they had on second down. I'll take those odds.

On a "normal" third down how many front 7 do you want on the field? (how many DBs do you want on a passing down?)

Who were you thinking they were taking when you heard there was a trade? I couldn't hear the TV but the analysts must have all suspected QB. I know I would have

Eisen mentioned a QB and Mayock quickly said no way.

Rex is certainly on a mission to fix this defense and reclaim some of the respect he lost after all of the problems we had last year. Hes definitely taking it personal. Bringing in Rob and calling in a favor with Ed Reed. First 2 picks are on D. He must be fired up with how well the draft seems to be going for him and what he wants to do

You do realize that OTHER teams were also moving up left and right in the 2nd round of this draft?

They specifically said Buffalo wanted Cook bad. Then they trade up. I would have immediately been thinking QB if I had seen it live

I like Ragland in the second round, but I think I would have rather just waited to see who was there when we picked. Lots of talent still on the board; don't think it was necessary to lose picks.

Anyway, worst case is we have a very talented LB and no 4th round picks...not a horrible thing.

That's kind of my view, Ragland fits the need for an early down run stuffing MLB who can play with some versatility. A bit of a high price to pay for a type of player the team needed.

I have a new thing I like to watch on this board, the two of you have quickly supplanted all other trolls on the board and are battling for supremacy; I vacillate between which one of you is worse because you keep one-upping each other! [/quote

Yeah because I'm in the same boat as the guy who constantly bags on Rex because I disliked the trade and pick of Ragland, which keep in mind was made by Whaley not Rex. Totally reasonable.

I have a new thing I like to watch on this board, the two of you have quickly supplanted all other trolls on the board and are battling for supremacy; I vacillate between which one of you is worse because you keep one-upping each other!

easy sparky

Well, if a team goes hurry up it means they are stuck with the same personnel grouping that they had on second down. I'll take those odds.

On a "normal" third down how many front 7 do you want on the field? (how many DBs do you want on a passing down?)

Eisen mentioned a QB and Mayock quickly said no way.

I expect up to be nickel around 50% of the time. Can he stay on the field in nickel? He had issues in college and as we all know things only get faster in the NFL. If he is not a liability in nickel, then it's a fine pick. Otherwise....

All of these analysts are relaying opinions and quotes from people on the team that are not going to be honest about anything.

If the Bills wanted Cook, they would have taken him. At this rate, they could still get him. I have no opinion of the guy and I'd rather have the kid from Stanford if he's there in the 4th.

People were trading up everywhere and LB's were coming off the board like crazy. And to say Ragland is a weak position? How weak was it last year when our ILB kept bouncing off of RB's and giving up TD's?!

Seriously, first round talent and we benefited from teams having needs at other positions. Be happy. We have two first round picks on our team, lost a 4th next year and a pick this year we didn't originally have.

If I'm telling you that you are being negative, you are really in trouble. I'm not in optimistic mode, because we still have Rex at the helm, but we get an OT, S, LB, I may start to perk up a bit

I expect up to be nickel around 50% of the time. Can he stay on the field in nickel? He had issues in college and as we all know things only get faster in the NFL. If he is not a liability in nickel, then it's a fine pick. Otherwise....

He did play in Bama's nickel packages.

Not me. The Bills have two kinds of draft picks: busts, and players who would be successful if they played on another team.

Don't forget guys who would've still been available later.

That's not what I asked you. Do this...list the starting 11 as you see them. 3-4-4

Then add 1-2 DBs depending on your preference.

Now, tell me who you are pulling off the field. I don't see this as a concern.

Reggie Ragland: 'Can't wait to get started' (0:55)
Reggie Ragland discusses his excitement to play for his new head coach.

Listen - Ragland: "Always Wanted to Play for Rex" (6:09)
Bills 2nd round pick out of Alabama, LB Reggie Ragland calls in to answer questions from the Buffalo Media just minutes after being selected.

We are worse because we have opinions other than "OBD you do nothing wrong!"

Sorry for being skeptical about Rex and the team after watching last season.

No...your worse because your reasons for your takes are from the fricken twilight zone

We just got 2 players at positions of need with 1st round projections in rounds 1 and 2

I cant wait till we pick a player totally off the grid. You might implode.

No...your worse because your reasons for your takes are from the fricken twilight zone

We just got 2 players at positions of need with 1st round projections in rounds 1 and 2

I cant wait till we pick a player totally off the grid. You might implode.

Again I say easy sparky.

Lol. I didn't say I hated the picks. Commonsense brought up a good point. We are slow upfront, even with these added picks as no huddle, quick paced offenses will take advance at which several posters crushed him.

Hah don't group me up with you or anyone else. I disliked the pick and trade I expressed that and what I believe to be valid concerns and I got totally flamed. I'm not a guy who sits around here hating on everything just to stir up conversation. I can handle a flaming I'm a big boy, anyone that wants to have an actual conversation and not a pissing contest is always welcome to me.