Myles Jack Could Slide Down in the Draft

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a weird draft, his honesty cost him millions. Tunsil's stepdad "may" have cost him 8 million with that video. Then of course Jaylon sitting off to the side just watching the board pass by. Usually the draft is a lot more even keel this was like watching a train wreck and IMO the Jack injury and Tunsil video sent some teams into a tailspin trying to avoid them.

The whole round was nuts. Some awful picks, controversy, heartbreak. Kind of compelling viewing.

And this:

@nfldraftscout now

Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack both have insurance protecting them against falling out of round one.

You know the medical report is dire if he slid completely out of the 1st round.

It's really unfortunate...But true...

I think the report that some teams felt the micro-fracture surgery should happen sooner rather than later is looking pretty solid...I so hate this for the kid...You want to talk about talent dropping due to injury? Jack and Jaylon Smith? Good grief... :(

I feel terrible for this kid. I get that teams can come out and say who they are targeting. But this kid is just sitting there waiting and you get the vibe that no team had any intention of taking him. I hope he doesn't come back tomorrow on the change he doesn't get drafted in round 2.

Jadeveon Clowney' ruined Jack's chances. The Texans probably wish they had passed too.

No matter how talented you are, micro-fracture surgery can negate it.

It's a risky procedure. If it's a "he must have it in the coming year" situation, he's probably darn near as risky as jaylon. If it's a "he will last a few years" he should go quick.

The 2 things I've really tried to push in his threads are micro fracture is a really rough procedure, and you have to trust your Medicals (and not rumors or fan opinion or...)

Clearly his knee must be a lot worse than any of the previous reports have mentioned. Unless you are a doctor that examined his knee yourself then you had no idea he was going to slide and those that thought he would be drafted early didn't have all of the facts.

Looks like 32 team physicians are all on the same page in regards to his knee. We're not talking about a difference of professional opinion here. There is a consensus that his knee is done. I definitely wouldn't waste a 2nd round pick on him, maybe not even a pick at all because its appearing like it would be a waste of a pick.

Has there every been a draft invitee who went completely undrafted? I am pretty sure that won't happen in this case, but it seems like a possiblity at some point, especially with surprise last-minute tweet attacks becoming a thing.

Has there every been a draft invitee who went completely undrafted? I am pretty sure that won't happen in this case, but it seems like a possiblity at some point, especially with surprise last-minute tweet attacks becoming a thing.

La'el Collins got invited last year and went undrafted. Another odd circumstance.

Looks like 32 team physicians are all on the same page in regards to his knee. We're not talking about a difference of professional opinion here. There is a consensus that his knee is done. I definitely wouldn't waste a 2nd round pick on him, maybe not even a pick at all because its appearing like it would be a waste of a pick.

I feel as if you are overstating the seriousness of his injury. They didn't necessarily say he's done; so much as say the risk was too high. I'm not sure why you say its a waste of a pick. Its risky but the reward is possibly a generational player (considering how the game is changing). I do agree that it seems all the physicians had similar diagnoses.

its not done today though, or is it?

will it be done this year? in 3-4? 7-8?

though maybe teams think its an immediate and pressing issue.

i dont think its a case of him never playing again but not knowing how long you get him and that can scare guys early.

I feel as if you are overstating the seriousness of his injury. They didn't necessarily say he's done; so much as say the risk was too high. I'm not sure why you say its a waste of a pick. Its risky but the reward is possibly a generational player (considering how the game is changing). I do agree that it seems all the physicians had similar diagnoses.

It's all about how much teams want to pay for a guy who may only give them 2-3 years (or less). They were clearly not willing to pay 1st round money.

If I had to guess, he'll wind up being selected today (so 2nd or 3rd round) by a team that is already very good but could use an impact LB. Teams that are rebuilding or a couple of years away won't touch him.

It's all about how much teams want to pay for a guy who may only give them 2-3 years (or less). They were clearly not willing to pay 1st round money.

If I had to guess, he'll wind up being selected today (so 2nd or 3rd round) by a team that is already very good but could use an impact LB. Teams that are rebuilding or a couple of years away won't touch him.

Yeah I agree and understand. But I was responding to a ridiculous post that said a Jack is a "waste of a pick." Not 1st round pick but a pick. Also the poster said his knee was done. I'm not so sure. Obviously it wasn't worth a 1st round but I think hell get drafted tonight. Still hoping it us

La'el Collins got invited last year and went undrafted. Another odd circumstance.

And the joke is on the idiots who didn't think he was worth spending a 7th round pick on. He is an absolute beast. Every Cowboys game I saw last year, he was flat-out mauling people.

Yes, maybe further, maybe not.

Microfracture surgery is no joke, and many never come back from it, especially in the NBA for what its worth from what I remember. Torn Meniscus aside, this is a bigger deal IMO than many on this board are taking it, micro fracture surgery is a short term option, long term prognosis is usually not good if my memory serves me. Da'Quan Bowers fell like a rock in his draft partially over similar concerns with microfracture surgery, Clowney has not fully come back from it and may never, Terrell Davis could not, Bruce Smith did. They say the success rate is 75-80% but that means they played again, not necessarily at 100%, and not for a long time, the surgery itself usually results in shorter careers if they return at all. Its a surgery that does not actually fix the problem in a way that returns the knee to its pre-injury state.

This is a concerning paragraph from 1 article (http://www.drdavidgeier.com/jadeveon-clowney-microfracture-surgery/) I found on it with a quick search, that echo's thoughts I have heard/read from doctors before:

For small cartilage defects, microfracture is thought to have reasonable short-term success. Dr. Richard Steadman, who pioneered the surgery, found that 76% of the NFL players in whom he performed microfracture returned to play the following season.

The long-term results after microfracture surgery are more concerning. A study of 24 NBA players who underwent the procedure showed that only 58.3% returned to play for more than one season after the surgery. Performance suffered greatly after players returned, with average points, rebounds, assists and minutes played dropping after microfracture. And one third of the players never returned play at all.

For what its worth...

Good post. Edited by dave mcbride

It's a risky procedure. If it's a "he must have it in the coming year" situation, he's probably darn near as risky as jaylon. If it's a "he will last a few years" he should go quick.

The 2 things I've really tried to push in his threads are micro fracture is a really rough procedure, and you have to trust your Medicals (and not rumors or fan opinion or...)

Here in Portland, the procedure is known as "Greg Oden Surgery".

basically Myles is going to drop a lot further

there is no taking a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd IMO.. Way way to much risk and it appears the odds of full recovery are not great

has Jack played or worked out for teams post-surgery?

I would take him in the 2nd round if he has. If not, 3rd round seems appropriate.

Another interesting question. Who is the riskier pick: Jack or Smith? From what I understand Jack can play this fall.