Sam Bradford Wants Out of Philly; Crawls Back to Eagles

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part was him dropping a couple dozen F bombs, the b-word multiple times and even the n-word a couple times, but using a euphemism for ass. 'Cause he

wouldn't want to come off as crude or anything.

What can I say.....he's a wordsmith lol

I hear that his most likely landing spots next season are:

1) PUP

2) IR-Designated to Return

3) IR

I'm glad you went top 3. Number 4 might be a cemetery near you. After 78 million, a beach and/or tee time are real options.

I'm sure most teams would love to do that (and Wentz absolutely needs it) but it's a results-driven business. That type of investment needs to bear fruit at some point, especially if the on-field product isn't good.

Fans get antsy, ownership gets testy. I don't see them holding off as long as they probably need to. I hope they do for Carson's sake, just can't see patience being a virtue.

I get why Sam would feel the need to look elsewhere. It's not long ago that the Eagles made a big commitment to him.

they only gave him a 2yr contract. He chose to take it. What about that to him said he was their long term QB? His agent even said he was upset with the chase Daniel signing. The guy seems mentally soft and wants handed a long term starting gig on a silver platter while having done nothing to earn it. He's never made the playoffs or had a winning record in 6 years and has shown to be both physically and now mentally fragile. IMO

they only gave him a 2yr contract. He chose to take it. What about that to him said he was their long term QB? His agent even said he was upset with the chase Daniel signing. The guy seems mentally soft and wants handed a long term starting gig on a silver platter while having done nothing to earn it. He's never made the playoffs or had a winning record in 6 years and has shown to be both physically and now mentally fragile. IMO

I doubt the Eagles told Bradford when the deal was on the table that they planned to trade up for Wentz for the exact reason you're seeing now. They wanted him secured first before their interest in Wentz went public, just in case the trade isn't feasible. I doubt Sam signs the contract if he knows about it beforehand.

He's done more than the likes of Brock Osweiler and he just got the keys to the car in Houston off the back of a few average games. If you look at him statistically, Bradford is one of the best 32 QB's in the NFL at this point. That might say more about the NFL than it does about Sam.

The comments from Tom Condon are very weird. I can't imagine that he's trying to sabotage his own client, maybe he's just trying to wedge the two parties apart to the point where one (or both) reaches the point of no return. It's a dangerous game because the NFL tends to pray on those they think are weak.

I doubt the Eagles told Bradford when the deal was on the table that they planned to trade up for Wentz for the exact reason you're seeing now. They wanted him secured first before their interest in Wentz went public, just in case the trade isn't feasible. I doubt Sam signs the contract if he knows about it beforehand.

He's done more than the likes of Brock Osweiler and he just got the keys to the car in Houston off the back of a few average games. If you look at him statistically, Bradford is one of the best 32 QB's in the NFL at this point. That might say more about the NFL than it does about Sam.

The comments from Tom Condon are very weird. I can't imagine that he's trying to sabotage his own client, maybe he's just trying to wedge the two parties apart to the point where one (or both) reaches the point of no return. It's a dangerous game because the NFL tends to pray on those they think are weak.

thats exactly what I think his agent is doing. He is making him look so bad, it's the only explanation

The fact that Bradford can demand anything is a reflection of today's NFL where any average to below average QB (Tyrod) gets treated like a king. I can't believe that halfway decent QB's are so hard to find. That just sets the teams with a good QB that much farther apart than the rest of us schmucks that have to overpay for mediocrity

The fact that Bradford can demand anything is a reflection of today's NFL where any average to below average QB (Tyrod) gets treated like a king. I can't believe that halfway decent QB's are so hard to find. That just sets the teams with a good QB that much farther apart than the rest of us schmucks that have to overpay for mediocrity

Blame the scouting process. To a large part, the NFL can't stop drafting guys because they are either white or prototypical size. In some cases, both. Size and skin colour is not a skill.

I'm not a big Vernon Adams fan but he's had zero visits with teams. At the same time, you've got the 'Hackenberg in the 1st' machine ploughing through every barrier of logic.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Word is (take that for what it's worth) that they did talk about drafting a QB & told him he was the guy for 2016. Why you'd sign a 2 year deal and think you were the long term starter is beyond my level of comprehension.

The guy seems mentally soft and wants handed a long term starting gig on a silver platter while having done nothing to earn it. He's never made the playoffs or had a winning record in 6 years and has shown to be both physically and now mentally fragile. IMO

Oh crap now I'm worried we are going to end up with Bradford because the above is exactly how we hire our coaches.

Blame the scouting process. To a large part, the NFL can't stop drafting guys because they are either white or prototypical size. In some cases, both. Size and skin colour is not a skill.

I'm not a big Vernon Adams fan but he's had zero visits with teams. At the same time, you've got the 'Hackenberg in the 1st' machine ploughing through every barrier of logic.

It has nothing to do with scouting. There are not 32 viable starting QB's. Blame the college game if you want, but scouting?

The dearth of quality QB's makes teams reach for them (see Manuel, E. J.) not the scouting process. You take your shot with the guy you think may have a chance.

It has nothing to do with scouting. There are not 32 viable starting QB's. Blame the college game if you want, but scouting?

The dearth of quality QB's makes teams reach for them (see Manuel, E. J.) not the scouting process. You take your shot with the guy you think may have a chance.

It is also the tilting of what used to be a game of balanced effort to one where all the rules favor one position....if played in a certain way....and those who play it that way become the faces not only of their team, but of the league which makes $$$$$$$ for all. Re-balance the game and it would level the QB playing field a bit, but fear of losing $$$$$$ simply will not allow this.

It has everything to do with scouting. Teams take the wrong shots all the time for reasons that make no damn sense. There were teams that didn't like Marcus Mariota last year because of the system he played in. The same this year with Jared Goff. They blame spread schemes for their inability to scout. All of this 'pro-style' bollocks that gets spouted seems to disregard that the majority of teams run spread concepts in the NFL and the majority of snaps are from the shotgun.

There are guys that go undrafted every year that have more talent than some of the guys that go on the first 2 days of the draft. They just simply don't tick the right boxes.

Sean Mannion was a 3rd round pick last year. Chris Bonner spent 2 days with KC in a rookie minicamp and then ended up in the CFL for a while. I know which one was better, it just so happened that playing poorly in the PAC-12 meant more than dominating D2. If you don't draft the talent, you end up in a QB crisis. The NFL has made it for themselves.

I have no idea why Bradford wants a trade. His best spot is right where he is. So what they draft a QB. Obviously with both he and Daniel drawing lots of guaranteed money the Eagles are planning on having their pick sit for this year, if not the next.

and yet here you have been saying "WTF are the eagles doing with their qb position" on this board.

imagine if a company hired you for a single position, and then the new boss brought in his old employee at a premium rate, and then pushed all the companies chips in on a young guy with a harvard degree.... you would probably want to go to a spot where you had a future.

if its just about being a starter - he is the starter right now. but almost no matter how well he plays he will not be the starter for the eagles next year. if they lied to him about plans and stability is important to him i dont think the shame him for not buying in is really warranted.

if we signed chase daniel and then traded up to 2 would you be upset with tyrod for being upset?

and yet here you have been saying "WTF are the eagles doing with their qb position" on this board.

imagine if a company hired you for a single position, and then the new boss brought in his old employee at a premium rate, and then pushed all the companies chips in on a young guy with a harvard degree.... you would probably want to go to a spot where you had a future.

if its just about being a starter - he is the starter right now. but almost no matter how well he plays he will not be the starter for the eagles next year. if they lied to him about plans and stability is important to him i dont think the shame him for not buying in is really warranted.

if we signed chase daniel and then traded up to 2 would you be upset with tyrod for being upset?

Maybe some people would be angry about having to compete. But I'd wager that if the company in question had enticed most of us into signing a 2 year contract with them by offering us $35M, including $22M guaranteed, then most of us would be okay with the situation. In NFL terms that's a pretty good QB money, but a 2 year deal isn't a big commitment. It's a "show me" deal.

Maybe some people would be angry about having to compete. But I'd wager that if the company in question had enticed most of us into signing a 2 year contract with them by offering us $35M, including $22M guaranteed, then most of us would be okay with the situation. In NFL terms that's a pretty good QB money, but a 2 year deal isn't a big commitment. It's a "show me" deal.

the dude is going to be 30 when the deal is done, and looking at what might be his last shot at a pay day.

theres a difference between competing (what i would call bringing in Chase Daniel, or if they had broght RG3 for instance) and being replaced (giving 2 firsts, a second a third and a fourth for a qb). its not a matter of if, but when he heads to the bench, and he will be going into his next contract, realistically, as a best case scenario bumping in and out of the lineup with the draft pick. fans will want it to justify the move, but more importantly team execs will want it.

im sure he signed it as a "show me" deal and is now worried that his resume is going to read "replaced by young qb" as his last stop unless he plays out of his mind good.

Edited by NoSaint

nothing wrong with the scouting process.

the fact is there are just not enough quality QB's being churned out and desperation is the name ofthe game these days

the dude is going to be 30 when the deal is done, and looking at what might be his last shot at a pay day.

theres a difference between competing (what i would call bringing in Chase Daniel, or if they had broght RG3 for instance) and being replaced (giving 2 firsts, a second a third and a fourth for a qb). its not a matter of if, but when he heads to the bench, and he will be going into his next contract, realistically, as a best case scenario bumping in and out of the lineup with the draft pick. fans will want it to justify the move, but more importantly team execs will want it.

He got a huge pay day in his initial deal that was signed prior to the collectively bargained contract that limited rookie contracts. Shouldn't be his primary concern.

It has everything to do with scouting. Teams take the wrong shots all the time for reasons that make no damn sense. There were teams that didn't like Marcus Mariota last year because of the system he played in. The same this year with Jared Goff. They blame spread schemes for their inability to scout. All of this 'pro-style' bollocks that gets spouted seems to disregard that the majority of teams run spread concepts in the NFL and the majority of snaps are from the shotgun.

There are guys that go undrafted every year that have more talent than some of the guys that go on the first 2 days of the draft. They just simply don't tick the right boxes.

Sean Mannion was a 3rd round pick last year. Chris Bonner spent 2 days with KC in a rookie minicamp and then ended up in the CFL for a while. I know which one was better, it just so happened that playing poorly in the PAC-12 meant more than dominating D2. If you don't draft the talent, you end up in a QB crisis. The NFL has made it for themselves.

You are so wrong on this I don't know where to start. TALENT is the issue.

He got a huge pay day in his initial deal that was signed prior to the collectively bargained contract that limited rookie contracts. Shouldn't be his primary concern.

ok re-word it to this might be "his last chance to earn a long term starting job" if that makes you feel better?

i get the impression that a lot of posters are offended by the contract he was given based on the system in place. the dude is a low level starter that wants his shot to establish himself without fans/execs over his shoulder trying to pull him for an unproven player.

ok re-word it to this might be "his last chance to earn a long term starting job" if that makes you feel better?

i get the impression that a lot of posters are offended by the contract he was given based on the system in place. the dude is a low level starter that wants his shot to establish himself without fans/execs over his shoulder trying to pull him for an unproven player.

That is obviously his major heartburn, but no reasonable person can blame the Eagles for exploring a viable option to obtain a potential long term upgrade based on his past performance and injury history.

I'm pretty comfortable with my thought process on this. I'm not trying to change your mind.

Has nothing to do with the scouting process. NFL scouts and front offices are not passing over QB's because they aren't prototypical. If a player has the ability to play in the NFL then they will get looked at and drafted regardless. If they are not being looked at then its because they don't got it

Edited by ddaryl

Has nothing to do with the scouting process. NFL scouts and front offices are not passing over QB's because they aren't prototypical. If a player has the ability to play in the NFL then they will get looked at and drafted regardless. If they are not being looked at then its because they don't got it

I'm glad you look at decision making across the NFL and think it's above reproach.

im sure he signed it as a "show me" deal and is now worried that his resume is going to read "replaced by young qb" as his last stop unless he plays out of his mind good.

He's probably going to get traded or released after 2016. If he plays well and stays healthy Philly will trade him to a team that will want to lock him down for longer because no one will give much for him on a one year deal. That means he will still have say in where he goes. There's a chance that the Iggles would keep him for the 2017 if they weren't ready to move on to Wentz, but that would be what he signed up for. If he doesn't play well/stay healthy he'll get paid $22M for one season (or less) of quarterbacking the Iggles and can move on to wherever he wants. They aren't going to keep him on the bench for an extra $13M.

That is obviously his major heartburn, but no reasonable person can blame the Eagles for exploring a viable option to obtain a potential long term upgrade based on his past performance and injury history.

I agree and Bradford should look no further than Peyton. Manning's career obviously was better than Bradford's and the Colts ditched him for a shiny toy that has not worked out yet.

Peyton got his shot elsewhere and won two AFC championships and one Super Bowl while his replacement has toiled in ineptitude. If Bradford plays well enough he could get the same opportunity.....maybe even with the Broncos oddly enough. If not, it won't really matter if he is playing for the Eagles at the time. Maybe he is thinking the Eagles will stink and stifle his chance to show what he can do, and that the window will close, but if Manning can get ditched, then he should know he can too, but he doesn't really get to decide on the timing.

I agree and Bradford should look no further than Peyton. Manning's career obviously was better than Bradford's and the Colts ditched him for a shiny toy that has not worked out yet.

Peyton got his shot elsewhere and won two AFC championships and one Super Bowl while his replacement has toiled in ineptitude. If Bradford plays well enough he could get the same opportunity.....maybe even with the Broncos oddly enough. If not, it won't really matter if he is playing for the Eagles at the time. Maybe he is thinking the Eagles will stink and stifle his chance to show what he can do, and that the window will close, but if Manning can get ditched, then he should know he can too, but he doesn't really get to decide on the timing.

Horrible analogy. Those two situations could hardly be more different.

Horrible analogy. Those two situations could hardly be more different.

The only real difference is that Bradford has not had a career anywhere like Manning's. Yes, he just signed a contract and yes it was for only two years but he may indeed have thought he was going to be "the guy". There is no way he is the guy now, no matter what he does. Once the Colts settled on Luck, Manning also had no chance of sticking around. That is the similarity.

I am not saying Bradford = Manning but I am saying Bradford wants that opportunity. Do I think he earned it or he will produce? No, not really. But that doesn't mean he doesn't think so.

The only real difference is that Bradford has not had a career anywhere like Manning's. Yes, he just signed a contract and yes it was for only two years but he may indeed have thought he was going to be "the guy". There is no way he is the guy now, no matter what he does. Once the Colts settled on Luck, Manning also had no chance of sticking around. That is the similarity.

I am not saying Bradford = Manning but I am saying Bradford wants that opportunity. Do I think he earned it or he will produce? No, not really. But that doesn't mean he doesn't think so.

No.

The Manning situation in Indianapolis was not anything like this. Manning's cap number was extremely high for a team in rebuilding mode. Both sides wanted to move on from the other. Manning had already won a SB for the Colts. There are a billion other differences. In fact there are no similarities at all, except both were QBs.

No.

The Manning situation in Indianapolis was not anything like this. Manning's cap number was extremely high for a team in rebuilding mode. Both sides wanted to move on from the other. Manning had already won a SB for the Colts. There are a billion other differences. In fact there are no similarities at all, except both were QBs.

Sorry dude:

Are you saying Bradford's cap number is low for a team in rebuilding mode?

In Philly one side wants to move on and the other seems willing. Not exactly the same but 75% of the way there.

Past SB completely irrelevant or supports my point. It says there is little loyalty, which is fine....and Bradford should expect none.

Other similarities:

QB or not, they are clearly drafting his replacement. Like the Colts did.

Bradford thinks he has more left in the tank than his current team thinks is left.....like Manning thought.

Bradford thinks he should be afforded the courtesy of being the de facto choice rather than be assumed he is going out to pasture....like Manning thought.

Again, I am not saying I agree with Bradford, but it is clear what he is thinking.....and Manning was thinking the same thing back then.