AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

Doesn't, actually, because while some media shills will do anything for clicks and attention Wawrow has shown himself credible and would not mistake a player's agent or camp for an anonymous OBD FO source. I could be wrong but I'll stand to this until proven otherwise.

Are you saying Wawrow isn't a good enough reporter to have connectios with agents? A true sign of being a pro aports reporter is having connections with agents. How do you think Schefter got so far?

I also can't stand when folks point out the Nelson drop without referencing Gilmore's dropped pick-6 earlier in the game.

If we're playing the "yeah, but" game, then those two plays are a wash.

Ha! I was going to bring the Gilmore drop up myself.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't take much analysis to see that Mario is just a guy playing for a paycheck. You don't win championships with players like that which is one of the reasons he has never been on a successful team, college or NFL.

And I don't think he's the only one to be honest.

The Bills need to weed guys like him out and unfortunately, I doubt that Rex Ryan is the guy to do it.

There are many problems with giving Williams any sort of pass, but one of the key ones that people are ignoring is that he is making $1 million per game. If the team owner and employer (terry pegula) is paying you seven figures for 60-70 plays every Sunday, you are OBLIGATED to try. Forget Rex--Williams is being employed and paid by The Pegulas. It's on Williams to perform for them above all else.

Edited by dave mcbride

I also can't stand when folks point out the Nelson drop without referencing Gilmore's dropped pick-6 earlier in the game.

If we're playing the "yeah, but" game, then those two plays are a wash.

Having completely forgotten about the dropped pick-six, I formally submit for the approval of the internet gods, motion to rescind.

I don't buy this, Boyst. If it was Schefter or Lacanfora or someone like that, maybe so

But this was Wawrow. He's credible (to me) reporting this kind of news because he knows his stuff. I don't believe he would mistake something coming out of a player's camp for an anonymous source.

Maybe, and it's certainly something the next level of management ought to look at, but maybe it's the employee. People do change and for whatever reason, star employees sometimes drop off a cliff and bottom-dwellers turn it around.

Yep, this. Nobody looks good or is blame-free here. Rex looks incompetent as a defensive mastermind AND as a leader of men. Mario looks like a whiny baby jerk.

you're mixing stories. must have water between your ears. put the sandbags down! :D

wawrow is not linking any hearsay stories. he is quoting a source that mario will be released.

everyone else talking about mario is ty dunne and others.

I think it's true that Williams would likely have been gone, but if he played lights-out 1) he might have trade value 2) he would have a larger choice of teams and could negotiate a higher salary 3) it's possible that the Bills might have done better, even playoff contention better?

This is the part I don't understand, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand he'll be a likely cap casualty, so why not play his best and showcase himself?

afraid the Bills might keep him

Don't know if Greggo and Schwartz run the same defense, but styles are probably similar. Of course St Louis is all set at MLB

oakland has the ideal setup for him to come in and contribute. solid in most positions and a great mlb in the making.

greggo runs a defense that is similar to schwartz in that he keeps everyone moving, at all times, swarming the field. his ends put pressure on the pocket which is what mario would excel with, though he needs big DT's to hold the middle and stop the backs. pressure on the outside weakens the middle. st louis has dang good dt's that can stop the run. he'd fit in there.

oakland has the ideal setup for him to come in and contribute. solid in most positions and a great mlb in the making.

greggo runs a defense that is similar to schwartz in that he keeps everyone moving, at all times, swarming the field. his ends put pressure on the pocket which is what mario would excel with, though he needs big DT's to hold the middle and stop the backs. pressure on the outside weakens the middle. st louis has dang good dt's that can stop the run. he'd fit in there.

Oakland of Jax would be willing to pay. Oakland does have plenty of cap room.

And Khalil Mack is in OLB btw

Oakland of Jax would be willing to pay. Oakland does have plenty of cap room.

And Khalil Mack is in OLB btw

carolina needs a pass rusher. they've got all the other pieces they need in place that they can spend on the final pieces. especially considering they're likely going to part ways with underperforming jared allen and charles johnson. they'll only have kony ealy. they need a DE. ealy is good at rushing, they need an edge setter and a rusher. mario could do that in rotation. they could also go hard after mo wilkerson, or even greg hardy would be welcomed back.

We were actually discussing Brandon Spikes.

Defense will not miss him. He was a non factor this year, so whoever replaces him can only be an improvement in this defense. Still pissed that Rex destroyed a good D. Should have just left it alone and fixed the offense.

I was talking about which teams would be a good fit for Spikes. Not many. But for the ones where he is a fit, he's a great one.

@JeffRussoWKBW

Associated Press via .@john_wawrow reporting #Bills plan to cut DE Mario Williams this off-season #Buffalo

At his price, Mario should have been willing to do whatever the Bills asked of him. His attitude all season long has been bush league.

Right I support all the altruists here are the same.

If you're really good at one thing and have the opportunity for continued career success, already demonstrated, and then you are suddenly thrust into a different role just because there is a new boss in town, one that maginalizes everything you're good at, the right thing is just live with it forever.

Possibly. Or else this was leaked to remind Mario that his tryout begins Sunday.

If that is the strategy and the timing of Mario's "tryout" then this organization would indeed be inept. Mario needed to be told directly that he has a tryout and it starts now, about the 7th game or so. Cincy, I think. You don't "tryout" a player by leaking it to the media you're gonna cut them.

That would be pointless.

Edited by Hopeful

They'll probably try to get him on their team as soon as possible so that any competent coach can get him to get to the quarterback.

Mario had no insubordination with previous coaches. Rex comes in and it's a nightmare and you guys are pointing fingers at Mario Williams. Laughable.

Actually that's not entirely true. Before the Texans let him walk in FA, there was talk that he was "taking plays off", not happy with his role in the 3-4 scheme the Texans had adopted, and that was one reason why the traditionally D-minded Texans didn't (per Mario) even extend him an offer.

Maybe Mario's attitude was more detrimental to the locker room than any of us know? Maybe there is plenty that has gone on behind the scenes to warrant this? Maybe he told someone within the organization he wanted out? Just speculating and no one knows for certain just yet, but I hate to see one of our better players on defense sent packing.

Unfortunately due to the cap structure, some of our good players will go. Mario is one probable target because he is a huge cap hit.

What bothers me isn't the idea that the Bills and Mario will part ways. What bothers me is having it leaked prior to the final game, while the player and coach claim no knowledge of the report. I don't think it's BS because Wawrow broke it. That means it's a legit Bills source positioned to know. But it's BS to leak it, and someone in the Bills organization needs to roll for this.

Right I support all the altruists here are the same.

If you're really good at one thing and have the opportunity for continued career success, already demonstrated, and then you are suddenly thrust into a different role just because there is a new boss in town, one that maginalizes everything you're good at, the right thing is just live with it forever.

How much is Pegula paying him per game again?

Actually that's not entirely true. Before the Texans let him walk in FA, there was talk that he was "taking plays off", not happy with his role in the 3-4 scheme the Texans had adopted, and that was one reason why the traditionally D-minded Texans didn't (per Mario) even extend him an offer.

Unfortunately due to the cap structure, some of our good players will go. Mario is one probable target because he is a huge cap hit.

What bothers me isn't the idea that the Bills and Mario will part ways. What bothers me is having it leaked prior to the final game, while the player and coach claim no knowledge of the report. I don't think it's BS because Wawrow broke it. That means it's a legit Bills source positioned to know. But it's BS to leak it, and someone in the Bills organization needs to roll for this.

This stuff drives me nuts. Pegula needs to hunt the person or persons down. Very unprofessional in appearance and that reflects upon the Pegulas.

How much is Pegula paying him per game again?

12k per snap approx

We were actually discussing Brandon Spikes.

I was talking about which teams would be a good fit for Spikes. Not many. But for the ones where he is a fit, he's a great one.

i'm an idiot. i have been reading too much.

Spikes would fit in with the Rams, Saints and Fins.

I was actually surprised the Fins did not bring him in midseason as their defense has been lackluster and he would have been a cheap plugin to use on run packages. i expect them or atlanta to kick the tires there to help stop the saints or panthers.

Mario's attitude should have been "gee guys, I'm totally fine playing linebacker!"?

Give me a break. Rex ruined him.

He played DE most of the last two games and watching him play made me angry. He appeared to not be trying. I couldn't believe he was not taken out of those games. Maybe he's injured and cannot give much more than he did but if this was the case, he should not have dressed. He isn't double teamed and makes no effort to get passed the first blocker, even if that person is a tight end.

He played DE most of the last two games and watching him play made me angry. He appeared to not be trying. I couldn't believe he was not taken out of those games. Maybe he's injured and cannot give much more than he did but if this was the case, he should not have dressed. He isn't double teamed and makes no effort to get passed the first blocker, even if that person is a tight end.

Exactly right. He is a whiner and a quitter. He quit his team, fans and coach. Professional? Yeah right. I thought he was a reach when we signed and overpaid him. A couple good years had me convinced otherwise. Now, well I never hope for a BB to get hurt, but I can't help myself. I truly hate the guy. He'll likely have a good year with whoever he signs with, but you can't change the fact he is an overpaid prima donna ( a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team) who will revert in due course and be a weight around the neck of his next team. Good riddance.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

Exactly right. He is a whiner and a quitter. He quit his team, fans and coach. Professional? Yeah right. I thought he was a reach when we signed and overpaid him. A couple good years had me convinced otherwise. Now, well I never hope for a BB to get hurt, but I can't help myself. I truly hate the guy. He'll likely have a good year with whoever he signs with, but you can't change the fact he is an overpaid prima donna ( a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team) who will revert in due course and be a weight around the neck of his next team. Good riddance.

Oh... and he's no Bruce Smith...

Exactly how many times do you think Mario was asked to drop into coverage?

1 time was too many. Same for Dareus and Kyle and Hughes.

I never hope for a Bills fan to get hurt, but I can't help myself.

I truly hate you.

This post of mine sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it...