AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

Everyone pile on Mario because Rex was a complete disaster of a coach this year.

Since when do Defensive ends win Superbowls?

This is such a joke but I understand it, somebody needs to take the fall for the lousy defense, let's blame the former all pro just a year ago and not the moron of a head coach we just gave a 5 year contract too. They have no other choice but to blame the underperforming player(thanks to Rex) with a huge cap number.

All of a sudden Marios a cancer.

Man Russ has the easiest job in the world. Bills fans are so easily persuaded it's pathetic.

The fans aren't cutting Mario....Russ et al, are.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario was motivated to play for the last several years. If it is so much in his nature to "quit" why didn't he do it last year or right after he cashed his signing bonus? New coach, new system, no ability to communicate that system.....Mario pouts which is on him.....Rex does nothing to fix the issue and the tire fire continues. Rex is a better speaker than Mario so he gradually goes from smelling like a tire fire to smelling like a rose.....but he is still a tire fire.

I have no way of knowing what goes on in the locker room so there is no way to assess the root causes of Mario's attitude this year. I am smart enough to see that Rex had the ingredients for a top 5 defense and turned it into something that looked like the Frankfurt Galaxy.

I just want to see the Bills win. It isn't about Mario or Rex really. When I see 2016 through the lens of having a coach that can't get production from one of the top players in the NFL, it is frustrating. We'll get some scrub with a high motor in there and we'll all be impressed with Rex? No thanks. Let's get some wins.

It doesn't matter why Mario decided to quit, only that he did. Even if I am 100% sure that the root of it is lies in his questioning of Rex Ryan's coaching acumen. Mario doesn't seem to understand that quitting is more about the impact it has on his teammates, coaches, and fans than it is about protesting Ryan's use of him.

There were plays to be made and Mario deliberately chose not to make them. Before games were lost, before the postseason was an impossibility. That is not saying Mario is the reason we lost. That is simply saying he stopped caring one way or the other when his play could have made some measure of difference in a play, series, or game.

Rex may be an imbecile, but he never quit on his players, coaches, and fans.

Mario is one of the best players in the game, and he did.

GO BILLS!!!

After 2017 what are the odds of the fans saying "I wish we had kept Mario for the last 2 years" vs. "I'm glad we had Rex for these last 2 years"?

I can buy the notion that both should be gone if that is what some are selling. I can even buy the theory that it is simply a salary cap thing. I can't agree that he is the cause for this and that Rex is poised to take this defense to the next level. That is simply crazy.

I keep reading that Rex ruined an all star defense. How exactly did he do that, and what should be have done differently?

Everyone pile on Mario because Rex was a complete disaster of a coach this year.

This is such a joke but I understand it, somebody needs to take the fall for the lousy defense, let's blame the former all pro just a year ago and not the moron of a head coach we just gave a 5 year contract too. They have no other choice but to blame the underperforming player(thanks to Rex) with a huge cap number.

Man Russ has the easiest job in the world. Bills fans are so easily persuaded it's pathetic.

So again, why can't it be both? This doesn't have to be a Rex vs. Mario situation. Both these statements can be true:

Rex's defense underperformed. Check.

Mario Williams mailed it in. Check.

In any case, unless Mario had a phenomenal season he was going to be a salary causality with the younger players who need to be resigned. A team can only spend so much in the DL for so long.

Why is it that Hughes was able to keep giving a ton of effort and make tackles down field even though he was asked to do things like drop into coverage? Why didn't Hughes hold a "press conference" at his locker and complain?

EDIT: this same thing happened in Houston when Wade Phillips was DC and Mario was moved to OLB and was asked to rush from the right side. He complained and moaned.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

One would think that a Pats* fan would remember the Adalius Thomas episode.

I know a lot of Pats* fans are Irish Catholic but that does not mean they are learned in natural theology, metaphysics and political theory. I did see one wearing a #1225 jersey with the name Doctor Angelicus on the back of it once though.

And Thurman's job is probably intact. Guy kept his mouth shut and had 4 different DC's in 4 years. Was put in a ludicrous position (considering his strengths and track record). He tried to speak up early on and, unlike our stud WR, was ignored. He had a losing strategy forced on him because REX KNOWS D. Cover that flat Mario…leave the QB alone.

Stubborn ego of a bottom-third windbag of a coach that did nothing close to building a scheme around his players.

And Thurman's job is probably intact. Guy kept his mouth shut and had 4 different DC's in 4 years. Was put in a ludicrous position (considering his strengths and track record). He tried to speak up early on and, unlike our stud WR, was ignored. He had a losing strategy forced on him because REX KNOWS D. Cover that flat Mario…leave the QB alone.

Stubborn ego of a bottom-third windbag of a coach that did nothing close to building a scheme around his players.

Exactly how many times do you think Mario was asked to drop into coverage?

We can designate him a June 1st cut at any time; every team gets 2 to use before June 1st, but his cap hit remains on the books until June 1st. It would not help us in FA or in re-signing Glenn or Richie. It would spread the dead money over the 2016 and 2017 season. Cutting him outright means we take the full hit just in 2016. We are not such a dire cap space situation that we will need the added savings next year. But we do need space in 2017 to re-sign Gilmore and possibly Taylor. Contrary to common belief, Gilmore is signed next season at a 1 yr/$11 mil cap number. They do need to give him a new contract before next season but he currently counts 11 million against the 2016 salary cap

So the big re-signings for 2016 are:

Glenn(~8-9 million)

Richie(~4-5 million)

Cutting Mario without the June 1st designation saves us 12.9 million on the 2016 salary cap with zero dead money in 2017(edit). And that money can be used right away.

we are $5mm over the cap right now.