AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

How did Wilkerson and Richardson have very good years under Rex if Rex is as clueless at using personnel as some are making him out to be?

It appears some players on this defense thought they were the greatest defense to ever play in the NFL and when the results werent the same as last year, the complaining started happening.

Newsflash: last year's defensive production wasnt the norm it was more of an exception for this group in recent years.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Wilkerson and Richardson have very good years under Rex if Rex is as clueless at using personnel as some are making him out to be?

It appears some players on this defense thought they were the greatest defense to ever play in the NFL and when the results werent the same as last year, the complaining started happening.

Newsflash: last year's defensive production wasnt the norm it was more of an exception for this group in recent years.

The thing is, although the d line did perform worse under Rex, releasing Mario isn't even about the scheme, it is because he simply gave up. His stats post bye week are way below the standard for the rest of the line under Rex's scheme. You can't pay a guy $20 million a year at the risk he will just give up half way through the year because he doesn't like the scheme.

Edited by What a Tuel

So again, why can't it be both? This doesn't have to be a Rex vs. Mario situation. Both these statements can be true:

Rex's defense underperformed. Check.

Mario Williams mailed it in. Check.

In any case, unless Mario had a phenomenal season he was going to be a salary causality with the younger players who need to be resigned. A team can only spend so much in the DL for so long.

Why is it that Hughes was able to keep giving a ton of effort and make tackles down field even though he was asked to do things like drop into coverage? Why didn't Hughes hold a "press conference" at his locker and complain?

EDIT: this same thing happened in Houston when Wade Phillips was DC and Mario was moved to OLB and was asked to rush from the right side. He complained and moaned.

Yeah. Mario is going into a 19 million dollar cap hit next year. He definitely doesn't seem to be worth the money in this system. Whether it's because he's not a good fit for the system, or whether he's dogging it, when it comes to trying to keep Gilmore, Glenn and Incognito that money certainly could go to good use.

I am trying to think of and will likely edit this as it happens... but players ran out of town who have shown talent.

CJ Spiller is first on the list and I must say that while he has not been as productive since his one big year, especially this year, he has talent and we ran him out of town.

Lynch is a similar story but needed to go and it was for his benefit.

Posuzlny, he has been solid and a consistent starter.

fitzpatrick has been as good as anything we've had since. ...and i do say that including tyrod. tyrod is better right now but fitz has shown more consistency and lasted longer.

Incognito the first time.

Jason Peters

"We" don't run players out of town. They get traded or released. Simple as that.

I agree. RR does not come off as a genius. But he has apparently designed a defense that is so complicated that only the brightest minds in physics can begin to grasp its subtle nuances. Heck, it must be crafted in 10-dimensional space-time. :lol:

I know, right? Some here would have us believe that Rex had the misfortune of being matched with the dumbest group of top veteran defenders he has ever coached just as he got to Buffalo. Such bad luck!

I think it's a combination of that type of D no longer being effective with quick release passing offenses plus veteran players who began to tune out a HC (and staff) that they were soon to be much less impressed with as the season went on.

I only read page 1, but was going to say the same thing - maybe Mopey Mario leaked this? Loved the guy when he came here, but not a big fan of his attitude this year...

Why would Mario announce this? For pity?

"We" don't run players out of town. They get traded or released. Simple as that.

I know, right? Some here would have us believe that Rex had the misfortune of being matched with the dumbest group of top veteran defenders he has ever coached just as he got to Buffalo. Such bad luck!

I think it's a combination of that type of D no longer being effective with quick release passing offenses plus veteran players who began to tune out a HC (and staff) that they were soon to be much less impressed with as the season went on.

Fletcher, Spikes, Poz. 3 very good LB's we no longer needed due to scheme.

Ted Washington and Pat Williams - same thing.

New coaches... new scheme... ditch the proven guys.

And others would have us believe that Rex's D is so complicated that NO NFL player ever could understand it, but he's had success before, soooo...

To hasten his release? Not saying that's absolutely the case, but it isn't 100% out of the question, IMO.

If we play Mario's team next year I wonder if he'l be named a captain against us or if his new coach won't waste energy on foolish things like that.

Really? Rex "wasted energy" by naming IK a captain? Heck we even won the game...

Fletcher, Spikes, Poz. 3 very good LB's we no longer needed due to scheme.

Ted Washington and Pat Williams - same thing.

New coaches... new scheme... ditch the proven guys.

Spikes did nothing after leaving here. POZ was the centerpiece of bad defenses while he was here.

Are we really going back to ted washington and Pat Williams? Some posters on here may never have seen them play for us.

Its the NFl. Theres a lot of turnover

And others would have us believe that Rex's D is so complicated that NO NFL player ever could understand it, but he's had success before, soooo...

To hasten his release? Not saying that's absolutely the case, but it isn't 100% out of the question, IMO.

Really? Rex "wasted energy" by naming IK a captain? Heck we even won the game...

By one week? Not sure why.

Spikes did nothing after leaving here. POZ was the centerpiece of bad defenses while he was here.

Are we really going back to ted washington and Pat Williams? Some posters on here may never have seen them play for us.

Its the NFl. Theres a lot of turnover

it's a history here that i am reminding people of - mostly as fans. we have run players out of town as a team, fanbase, etc because they no longer fit our expectations or did not do what the new guard wanted.

spikes, nor Chandler, Fitz, Jackson, many others did little after we removed them due to scheme. but they were successful for us and i have a hard time believing that they would not have added to the team we had, having kept in place the systems we were successful with.

continuity.

Dick Jauron - average defense, average offense

we have Head Coach Chan - very good offense. bad defense

we have head coach marrone - very good defense, bad offense

we have head coach rex - average offense, inept defense

Because of the cap hell in 2016, even if Mario Williams was putting up 12-15 sacks this year he was probably gone anyways because of his 19 million dollar cap hit. Even at those sack numbers he is still not worth the money.

This is the best move either way moving forward...

I really must know why you are convinced of this "cap hell" in 2016?

It's quite manageable

No, he doesn't fit their system either. Bruce Irvin is going to be leaving Seattle after this season. Don't be surprised if Mario ends up there.

Yea, I thought of that too. But Mario had a good year under Pettine and the Browns have to make bold moves.

it's a history here that i am reminding people of - mostly as fans. we have run players out of town as a team, fanbase, etc because they no longer fit our expectations or did not do what the new guard wanted.

spikes, nor Chandler, Fitz, Jackson, many others did little after we removed them due to scheme. but they were successful for us and i have a hard time believing that they would not have added to the team we had, having kept in place the systems we were successful with.

continuity.

Dick Jauron - average defense, average offense

we have Head Coach Chan - very good offense. bad defense

we have head coach marrone - very good defense, bad offense

we have head coach rex - average offense, inept defense

hard to believe Mr. personality Dick Jauron. is one of the Bills more "successful" 21st century coaches. years later who would have guessed that?You could always depend on that 7-9. Considering what he was given to work with and the state of OBD it's surprising he did that well.