AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

Well before the first game of the season, there were those who said Mario should/would be a cap casualty if he did not take a pay cut.

The fact that Mario has gone on strike for most of the season only confirms that he deserves to be cut.

I defended Mario every step of the way until I saw him mail it in.

P.S. How many plays out of all his defensive snaps did Mario actually drop back into coverage?!?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well before the first game of the season, there were those who said Mario should/would be a cap casualty if he did not take a pay cut.

The fact that Mario has gone on strike for most of the season only confirms that he deserves to be cut.

P.S. How many plays out of all his defensive snaps did Mario actually drop back into coverage?!?

Without looking it up it's around 30 snaps he dropped back But That may be off a tad. certainly not a reason to lay

Down like a dog. Winners and team players do what it takes...................blah, blah.

prior to the Cowboys game it was 21 out of 795

Without looking it up it's around 30 snaps he dropped back But That may be off a tad. certainly not a reason to lay

Down like a dog. Winners and team players do what it takes...................blah, blah.

Thank you. Perspective.

30 freaking snaps and the guy goes on strike while being paid MILLIONS of dollars.

I defended Mario for most his time with the Bills, but Mario should be embarrassed as both a man and a football player.

@mikerodak

The Associated Press is reporting that the Bills plan to cut DE Mario Williams after this season. Rex Ryan just... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0474280094509044796-4

Shocking!

@AP_NFL

AP source: Bills planning to cut Mario Williams in offseason http://apne.ws/1mlPP8I

@john_wawrow

Really unfortunate that he didn't work in Rex's D. Wish we could trade him but no one wants that contract with his production. Plus everyone knows we are getting rid of him so no one would trade for him anyway. :(

There are some serious leaks within this organization which need to be dealt with.

no muzzling allowed, anyone can just say whatever they want, go Rex!

ok.. the M Williams era ends.. i understand he thought the D was crap, but i don't know if those waltzes he shared with opposing TEs were due to his indifference or decaying skills. either way, you can't have that on a team that just gave Rex the ok to keep on keepin on in 2016.

my only question for Rex is.. who else doesn't fit, and how close are we to having the 'right' guys to play his D?

prior to the Cowboys game it was 21 out of 795

2.6%

Dick Lebeau and Wade are probably wondering why such a low percentage.

Mario should remove the mirrors in his house.

I would love to hear what Kyle Williams' thoughts are on Mario's "effort"?

@TyDunne

The Mario Williams Enigma: Was it scheme or checking out? Those at One Bills Drive are torn. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/248307/

On the record, center Eric Wood called Williams’ comments “disappointing,” adding that “Everybody has to buy in or else we don’t have a shot.”

He isn’t alone. One other teammate, who wished to remain anonymous, ramped it up a notch in saying Williams checked out a long time ago, back to not wanting to take part in the conditioning test before training camp.

“It’s been clear to me that Mario doesn’t care about anybody but himself,” the teammate said. “He followed that up by not giving any effort during the season and complaining about the scheme instead of manning up and saying he played like crap and doesn’t care."

@TyDunne

The Mario Williams Enigma: Was it scheme or checking out? Those at One Bills Drive are torn. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/248307/

Teammates staunchly defend Williams anonymously, too. While some are skeptical about Ryan’s scheme publicly, others are downright furious privately. One player said he completely understands Williams’ season-long frustration because the simple, straightforward, attacking defense employed by 2014 coordinator Jim Schwartz was so effective.

Not everyone agrees with this critique. Williams’ numbers may be down across the board, but inside linebacker Preston Brown asserts that Williams “definitely bought in” to Ryan’s defense and that effort hasn't been an issue.

“He was trying to do what the coaches asked him, too,” Brown said. “When you’re 30 years old, it’s kind of hard to start doing stuff you’ve never done. … He’s out there doing his job. I know he’s out there doing his job day in and day out.”

Added cornerback Leodis McKelvin, “With him, it could be frustration in getting to the quarterback a lot more. But he wants to play — there’s no doubt about it. He wants to play. But you’re used to getting to the quarterback and now you’re making sacrifices for someone else to get to the quarterback. ... You can’t say one man did something wrong and it caused the whole defense to shut the down. It was a complete, total everything."

Edited by FireChan

How did Wilkerson and Richardson have very good years under Rex if Rex is as clueless at using personnel as some are making him out to be?

It appears some players on this defense thought they were the greatest defense to ever play in the NFL and when the results werent the same as last year, the complaining started happening.

Newsflash: last year's defensive production wasnt the norm it was more of an exception for this group in recent years.

different position, entirely. and both were liable as fudge against the run.

it's comparing watermelon and sausage.

Read about what the players are saying. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/248307/

Interesting and not defending the guy but if his is being honest with his comments he has some points.

That said he is playing football not tennis. Not buying into Rex's plan no matter how silly is not what great

Players do

The article is interesting. Brown, and likely at least one other player, speak out for Williams. But, the player speaking out against him seems to be the only one doing so - and I doubt it would be the likes of Gilmore, Roby, Dareus, Hughes, Bradham or Brown. Unlikely to be Graham, either. I would imagine it is Duke Williams, Carrington, etc.

To me Carrington might be the bet because he is the one playing behind others. The type who would make the comment pay a bunch of guys his money and let them contribute. The one who fully believes that.

also...

I do want to bring up that maybe he has regressed. That maybe he has fallen off in play. That maybe he is only good at holding the edge on a run. I have not seen a lot of things he has offered to a team, nor have I seen him provide the array and dynamic of pass rush Bruce and others brought forth.

(of course, there will be that amazing 2 yard run by TN where he lost contain)

This quote, IMO, is why he has to go: "There is no consensus on the subject. The locker room is divided on anything Mario Williams."

There were quotes also saying he entire team buys in to Rex and his system and Mario was the only one speaking out.

@TyDunne

So, there is division in the locker room and Rex Ryan did nothing about it but pose for cameras like he's a good guy? Yeah, the locker room is divided because Rex did not act quickly enough.

This point is disirregardless of anything to do with what Mario did in talking out and it has everything to do with Rex Ryan not doing anything. He kept playing the guy!

So, again. Mario becomes a scapegoat. Ryan should have pulled him if he was not giving an honest effort. If people here believed they saw it than surely professionals at OBD saw it.

I have questions for Rex. Then, I have a boot in the ass out the door. Schmuck.

Edited by Boyst62