Boobie reiterates what some of us knew...

The Big Cat

You contribute virtually nothing except snark and sarcasm that's rarely, if ever, intelligent or constructive to conversation.

I don't get embarrassed around internet strangers.

No, you just call out internet strangers personally and shout down anyone who disagrees with you. And you post LAMP "I need to take a break from TBD life because it's just too much!" hilarity. What're you, 0-4 on Bills coaches? Forgive me for not bowing down to your nonsense on your path to 0-5. Let me know when Jauron, Gailey and Marrone all get enshrined.

Also, pointing out your hypocrisy with snark is constructive conversation. You can't handle the fact that virtually everything you say is self-selected opinion. You ignore the negatives and call everyone who disagrees with you the "rabid masses." Meanwhile, you've been touting the "our coaches are fine and great!" line for years, regime after regime. We get it, you'll always defend the Bills coaches til they're fired and out of football. Next coach, you'll again not form any of your own opinions, but rather take your post on the wall. You're not being constructive by repeating the same talking points every year, no matter the regime.

Finally, calling any poster out personally is the mark of a child, or someone so desperate for ground to stand on, they lob up a Hail Mary. It's the white flag. And you've waved it loud and clear. Can't wait for the 2017 defense campaign of Jeff Fisher or some other retread hack. I'm sure we'll all know where you stand.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you just call out internet strangers personally and shout down anyone who disagrees with you. And you post LAMP "I need to take a break from TBD life because it's just too much!" hilarity. What're you, 0-4 on Bills coaches? Forgive me for not bowing down to your nonsense on your path to 0-5. Let me know when Jauron, Gailey and Marrone all get enshrined.

Also, pointing out your hypocrisy with snark is constructive conversation. You can't handle the fact that virtually everything you say is self-selected opinion. You ignore the negatives and call everyone who disagrees with you the "rabid masses." Meanwhile, you've been touting the "our coaches are fine and great!" line for years, regime after regime. We get it, you'll always defend the Bills coaches til they're fired and out of football. Next coach, you'll again not form any of your own opinions, but rather take your post on the wall. You're not being constructive by repeating the same talking points every year, no matter the regime.

Finally, calling any poster out personally is the mark of a child, or someone so desperate for ground to stand on, they lob up a Hail Mary. It's the white flag. And you've waved it loud and clear. Can't wait for the 2017 defense campaign of Jeff Fisher or some other retread hack. I'm sure we'll all know where you stand.

You post an awful lot about me. Why do I get the sense you have my posts taped to your locker?

To be fair to BC....you do come off as a miserable internet stranger.

the real team leaders were Kyle Williams & Fred Jackson.

Mario is too soft spoken and spent the year sulking over schemes.

Shady seems aloof to his current teamies and left his heart in philly.

Hughes tried to be a leader...but it's hard for sane people to follow a nut case.

TT & Sammy were not confident "enough" this season. I expect that to change next year.

Yup. Do the players share blame for the issue? Sure. Does creating that atmosphere fall strongly on a head coach? Definitely. It's not a new issue for Rex.

The problem is Rex doesn't have guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Bart Scott, etc that nobody dares cross in that locker room and they hold players to a higher standard...we don't have that here...it's kinda like anything goes...if you study film a lot great, if you do a little fine...as long as the coaches don't say anything, none of the players will either...

That won't work until you have guys that aren't going to tolerate that BS from the other players and they know they better get fall in line or face their wrath...

You typically will get what is expected from people...if you don't expect a lot and hold them accountable for it, you typically won't get much. Anyone who has worked with good and bad managers knows exactly what I am talking about. Same group of employees, totally different results. Why? Because one expects a lot from them and the other doesn't.

Edited by matter2003

Football character.

Marv preached it and, unfortunately, it isn't something that can be instilled by a coach. Good teams have it in spades, teams that consistently struggle simply don't.

I am not surprised after watching the run for the bus the other day. First and foremost, a team has to play for each other. Forget winning the division, reaching the playoffs, etc. It starts with the foxhole mentality that you are all in it for each other. And when one of your highest paid and most talented defenders is leading the run to the bus, it's doubly bad. It is imperative that your stars set the example. Ours didn't. At least on the defensive side of things.

GO BILLS!!!

Football character.

Marv preached it and, unfortunately, it isn't something that can be instilled by a coach. Good teams have it in spades, teams that consistently struggle simply don't.

I am not surprised after watching the run for the bus the other day. First and foremost, a team has to play for each other. Forget winning the division, reaching the playoffs, etc. It starts with the foxhole mentality that you are all in it for each other. And when one of your highest paid and most talented defenders is leading the run to the bus, it's doubly bad. It is imperative that your stars set the example. Ours didn't. At least on the defensive side of things.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps the best thing I saw last Sunday was how hard TT played. He was playing like he has all season. Taking hits getting first downs, hanging in the pocket getting hit. A positive in a sea of negatives.

Perhaps the best thing I saw last Sunday was how hard TT played. He was playing like he has all season. Taking hits getting first downs, hanging in the pocket getting hit. A positive in a sea of negatives.

Agree entirely. It bodes well when your QB is one of those "football character" guys. I'm not sure he has the talent to match yet, but he seems to possess the one thing necessary to succeed if he does.

GO BILLS!!!

What do the rest of the guys that don't play think?

That being on the bottom of a losing team's roster is a pretty !@#$ing good gig...and to ride it out as long as they can... As usual, the fans of this team care more about the outcome than the players. How in the !@#$ do Brady and Belicheat do it? That team seems to care about the outcome....

Edited by JoeF

That Rex failed because he never called players-only meetings for his team?

Makes sense.

Wouldn't smart coach though see this is going on and try to do something about it? Maybe he did, but if so, he failed miserably.

He could have the team elect a captain for example. That might help. Something like that. Rex is not the victim here. He's the coach/leader.

Cutting Fred of course didn't help.

Wouldn't smart coach though see this is going on and try to do something about it? Maybe he did, but if so, he failed miserably.

He could have the team elect a captain for example. That might help. Something like that. Rex is not the victim here. He's the coach/leader.

Cutting Fred of course didn't help.

i prefer season long captains vs Gameday captains ... Not that it ever helped the Bills before though

They haven't called a players only meeting because there is no clear cut leader on the team. Fred was IT, but he's gone. Eric Wood is close, but he's not it.

It should be obvious who the leader in the room is. Unfortunately for the Bills, there is no guy yet. Hopefully someone will ascend to this position, until then, we'll have pockets of togetherness led by guys like Wood. But until there's a clear-cut guy who's the leader, the Bills will struggle.

Hopefully the adversity known as the "2015 season" will be this team's "Bickering Bills" moment - when Jim Kelly's Bills turned their fortunes around.

I think in order to fix this problem I would look at the FA list of the defending SB champs this year, and sign the best, most productive one. Someone the guys can look up to because he's done it. The only one we have now is Tyrod and evidently he's not a leader. Spikes could have been that guy, but we cut him too.

Aaron Williams wants to be leader. That's cool. But the leader is the leader because he leads and people follow him. If they ain't following him now, good luck.

I think in order to fix this problem I would look at the FA list of the defending SB champs this year, and sign the best, most productive one. Someone the guys can look up to because he's done it. The only one we have now is Tyrod and evidently he's not a leader. Spikes could have been that guy, but we cut him too.

Aaron Williams wants to be leader. That's cool. But the leader is the leader because he leads and people follow him. If they ain't following him now, good luck.

easier said than done. This place would not be attractive for a FA unless their favorite things to do are complain to the media and play ping pong. Edited by YoloinOhio

easier said than done. This place would not be attractive for a FA unless their favorite things to do are complain to the media and play ping pong.

It's what I would try to do anyway. We have signed some top notch free agents in the past despite losing and such. Mario anyone? LeSean re upped with us. He didn't have to. TO.

Hmmm...the NFL should come up with some sort of program for this. You know, a way to identify the leaders of a team. Maybe come up with a way to give them some sort of tip of the cap on game day.

It's at least worth some thought.

'Employees of the Week' may work for what youre proposing.

You know who doesn't think Spikes is a leader?

The family he ran off the road when he was #$%^faced.

You know who doesn't think Spikes is a leader?

The family he ran off the road when he was #$%^faced.

You know who doesn't think Ray Lewis is a leader?

The family of the two guys that got stabbed to death.

Players don't base who they follow on their criminal record.

What we've learned from Sammy and Boobie is that cutting Fred was a huge mistake. Fred was the leader in that locker room, and there was no one to take over when he left. This is also an indictment of Tyrod Taylor, who should have been taking the reins, but clearly didn't. I said weeks ago that this team is rudderless and was roundly criticized for it. It appears now that the team IS rudderless. Credit to Sammy for stepping up, especially as a player in only his second year. Shame on the veterans in that locker room for putting Sammy in that position. Maybe we should just blow this **** up.

Tyrod did start to lead lately. But indictment?? Are you a lawyer?

I get a kick out of the argument that these guys are "professionals" and "grown men". These professionals have mostly been pampered during their most formative years in college. Some even get away with serious crimes because of their status. Very few of these guys are leaders. They need leadership from the adults who oversee them in their now professional career. The adults can be either coaches or veteran players, but the perennially good teams tend to have both. You can blame the players if you want, but a good coach would also find, cultivate and use his veteran leaders. Rex may be a good DC, but he is not a good HC.

There's lots of important aspects of leadership from a position of authority. I wholeheartedly believe having a fun and safe environment is extremely important. That environment needs to make it okay to ask questions, encourage learning, and make mistakes. It also should be fun and needs to be an environment where you feel like the coaches have your back.

That being said, hard work and accountability need to also be valued. People should get recognition for being awesome and working hard, and should get called out when they make mistakes.

Rex's job is to create an environment where not only that happens from the coaches, but one in which the players give both recognition and accountability to their teammates.

I think Rex does a fantastic job at the first part of what I wrote, but it's really hard for us to have the visibility to judge him on the second. I'm not sure he's the best at it but it seems like our players haven't really done it for years either. So who knows.

What came first the chicken or the egg? It takes a great model to build leaders. I don't know if Rex is providing that model. As far as the players, so few individuals are natural leaders. I don't know how many we have. The combination is not good.

Edited by KzooMike

No players took control of this team.

Folks, this is the opposite of the inmates running the asylum. This entirely obliterates the argument that Rex can't control his players. You can't control men who aren't willing/able to control themselves.

These are professional athletes.

These are grown men.

Spare me the babysitter excuse.

They had an opportunity to seize their own fate, and they failed:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/22/the-bills-havent-had-any-players-only-meetings-this-season/

it sounds like the players want Rex gone, from all the comments from the players coming out the past couple of days.

got to disagree with Sammy on this one, it can't be a player driven operation, it has to come from the Owner down to the GM and then the coach. This one of the reason it fell apart; Terry doesn't know how to run football yet and Whaley and Rex are at odds, plus Rex not leading the team as one cohesive unit.

"We're all over the place," defensive back Corey Graham said. "We're all over the place, we don't know what's going on half the time. Half the time guys are running in, running off, guys are trying to get calls, trying to figure it out. We're not going to win because we're not good right now."

"having been through 5 defensive coordinators in 6 years "

that would kill morale on any team

should have kept defense plays as simple as possible this season, damage already done

Can you imagine how absurd a players only meeting would have been?

It probably would have resulted in a negotiated resolution, where Sammy would receive 12 targets per game, Ron Brooks would limit ST penalties to 1 per quarter, and Mario would share his fridge.

Lmao @ Mario sharing his fridge!

Two critical questions:

• Has Rex's scheme worked elsewhere?
  • Does Rex have a reputation for having players that love him?

This point seems to be completely ignored. Not to absolve Rex completely, but fans seem to cling to one data point (the defense performed better last year) while ignoring the equally persuasive point that Rex's defenses have consistently outperformed this one.

Personally, I attribute the decline to a number of factors - scheme fit, personnel changes, and injuries are all significant. But if this board has taught me anything it's that once fans have their scapegoat they're going to run with it and trying to disuade many or most of them is like trying to take a bone away from a rabid Rottweiler.

In terms of a player based leadership problem, it seems possible that the defense specifically really needed a leader to step up. Most of the dissension, at least publicly, seems to surround the defense, who dramatically underachieved this season. Despite several key injuries, the offense actually performed better than probably most of us expected. I think most of us would have eagerly accepted in August, the proposition that Tyrod Taylor would have the 5th best QBR and the Bills would be leading the league in rushing. I'm not sure how to explain the chaos that has surrounded the defense this season, nor am I sure that a strong defensive leader would have helped, but it is one element that clearly has been lacking.

This point seems to be completely ignored. Not to absolve Rex completely, but fans seem to cling to one data point (the defense performed better last year) while ignoring the equally persuasive point that Rex's defenses have consistently outperformed this one.

Personally, I attribute the decline to a number of factors - scheme fit, personnel changes, and injuries are all significant. But if this board has taught me anything it's that once fans have their scapegoat they're going to run with it and trying to disuade many or most of them is like trying to take a bone away from a rabid Rottweiler.

Not counting this year, when was the last good Jets defense? Your point about Rex's scheme working in the past is true, but in football terms it worked in the distant past, not the recent past. Wee Willie Keeler's approach to hitting worked in the past too. Why didn't the Yankees just make that work all year?