Just can't re-boot the enthusiasm

Virgil

I keep trying to read all of the optimism on here. I see how bad everyone else is this year and we are only a game out. I see our remaining schedule and know we are coming off a bye week. But with how we've been soundly beaten by good teams, barely beat the Titans, lost to the Jags, and overall state of our defense, I just don't know how to Bill-Iieve. It also doesn't help that the Pats look to achieve the undefeated season.

And as everyone talks about what could happen, all I can see are the trends and what has happened.

-Rex has been on a downward spiral for the last 4 years

-Roman has had a crap offense for the last 2 years

-The Bills have missed the playoffs for 15 years.

Yes, there have been moments here and there within those truths, but the end results are fact. And right now, there's nothing I can do to not believe that the results will continue. No matter how healthy we get.

Roman had a decent offense when it wasn't destroyed by injuries.

The Bills missing the Playoffs for 15 years has no impact on this season.

I disagree that Rex is on a downward spiral, but he has to get the Dline to be doing what it does best.

We didn't lose to the jags. Manuel threw that game away. No pick sixes = 13-7 at the half with the jaguars losing. Take solace in the fact that we came back 27-3 to nearly win it.

Lastly, each game is it's own matchup. The Titans gave the Falcons a run for their money, and a 1-5 Baltimore team nearly beat a 5-2 Arizona Cardinals. Do you think Cardinal fans are pitying themselves about how they almost lost?

So take your optimism back! Maybe we win, maybe we lose, but it makes it a lot more fun of an experience than being that sarcastic bills fan, that ruins everyone's good thoughts!

I keep trying to read all of the optimism on here. I see how bad everyone else is this year and we are only a game out. I see our remaining schedule and know we are coming off a bye week. But with how we've been soundly beaten by good teams, barely beat the Titans, lost to the Jags, and overall state of our defense, I just don't know how to Bill-Iieve. It also doesn't help that the Pats look to achieve the undefeated season.

And as everyone talks about what could happen, all I can see are the trends and what has happened.

Yes, there have been moments here and there within those truths, but the end results are fact. And right now, there's nothing I can do to not believe that the results will continue. No matter how healthy we get.

I feel exactly the same way.It's hard to get excited about this teams future.

I will watch the games, talk about the team, hope and dream. But in reality, I will be shocked and amazed if this Bills team makes the playoffs. Having the team get healthy may make games against Miami, Houston or a few other weak teams winnable, but I don't think this team could win a game against a team with a winning record. I think we are in fan purgatory. It may take another year or more before the Pegulas decide to do something that helps.

Many questions will need to be addressed before this team turns a corner. Will the defense learn Rex's scheme? Is Rex's scheme any good? Will it require massive player turnover? Will the QB question be addressed? I like TT, but he I don't know if he is a good a pocket passer, and running QBs don't last long. Will he grow into the job? Be injured too much? Will Watkins ever reach the potential he was drafted for? Will the O-Line continue to improve? Etc, etc, etc. Will a "football czar" be able to help? Who would that be? Getting some of these questions answered may be interesting, but rooting for a playoff team may not happen this season. Again.

They may or may not make the playoffs. A lot can happen in the second half of the season. Both with this team and other teams. But if they don't, it won't have anything to do with the past 15 years. Virtually everything about this team is different. From ownership to coaches to players. I am as disappointed as the next person that they aren't 6-1 or 5-2 but I choose to look forward. A lot of season left to go.

I disagree that Rex is on a downward spiral, but he has to get the Dline to be doing what it does best.

We didn't lose to the jags. Manuel threw that game away. No pick sixes = 13-7 at the half with the jaguars losing. Take solace in the fact that we came back 27-3 to nearly win it.

Lastly, each game is it's own matchup. The Titans gave the Falcons a run for their money, and a 1-5 Baltimore team nearly beat a 5-2 Arizona Cardinals. Do you think Cardinal fans are pitying themselves about how they almost lost?

So take your optimism back! Maybe we win, maybe we lose, but it makes it a lot more fun of an experience than being that sarcastic bills fan, that ruins everyone's good thoughts!

NIce post and I wish that I could share your optimism. It just isn't in me anymore. After so many losing and non-playoff seasons, it is just gone. I was fired up at the beginning of this season and expected a much better start than 3-4. Last week and the week before against Cinci were all it took to take the wind out of my sails for this season. I expect nothing and will not be disappointed if we lose from here on out. If we win, great, but it will come as a surprise to me no matter who we are playing. This team has shown absolutely no signs of consistently good play this year and I do not expect that to change over the next 9 games. They've had 7 to show that they are a good team and what they have shown is that they are not. I will always root for them to win, but I have no more optimism in me regarding this team.

God you're right in the OP. The Bills peaked on the touchdown on their first drive of the NE game. That was nearly two months ago! Since then, it's been a wonder to see a team with such media hype, such euphoric enthusiasm from its fanbase lose their $^!+ for good reason.

I'm with the OP except my expectations were not as high as most. I expected the 6th playoff spot and a loss in the divisional round. They certainly look like they will fall short of that. The defense is not as bad as it appears to some, but it has not been a top 5 as expected. Specials have been poor and not met expectations at all. The offense is about as expected overall. I expected the QB position and OL to hold this team back. The OL really hasn't. They haven't been great or anything, but they also haven't been the big liability they were expected to be. The QBs haven't been great. EJ has been terrible. Taylor has been decent, but doeant look like long term starter material. His passing needs to improve if that's to change. He still can make plays with his legs, but he does that too often. He's not big enough to last taking shots in the NFL and I cringe every time he takes off or runs a read option. What I'm looking for the rest of the way out is improvement in Taylor's passing and improvement in scheme/player usage. Seeing those things - even some of them - would give me hope for next season.

In the NFL you have to win the games your supposed to. This team hasnt figured out how to do that. This season is going to be a gut wrench the rest of the way through. I have zero hope for the playoffs and im glad we arent playing this weekend looking forward to some steelhead fishing

just have not care as much and there will be less pain, I will not be excited until we get a pocket passer (one that is good, ej doesn't count)

I will watch the games, talk about the team, hope and dream. But in reality, I will be shocked and amazed if this Bills team makes the playoffs. Having the team get healthy may make games against Miami, Houston or a few other weak teams winnable, but I don't think this team could win a game against a team with a winning record. I think we are in fan purgatory. It may take another year or more before the Pegulas decide to do something that helps.

Many questions will need to be addressed before this team turns a corner. Will the defense learn Rex's scheme? Is Rex's scheme any good? Will it require massive player turnover? Will the QB question be addressed? I like TT, but he I don't know if he is a good a pocket passer, and running QBs don't last long. Will he grow into the job? Be injured too much? Will Watkins ever reach the potential he was drafted for? Will the O-Line continue to improve? Etc, etc, etc. Will a "football czar" be able to help? Who would that be? Getting some of these questions answered may be interesting, but rooting for a playoff team may not happen this season. Again.

all of this

just have not care as much and there will be less pain, I will not be excited until we get a pocket passer (one that is good, ej doesn't count)

i will say I can't get the image out of my mind of him throwing the screen pass to wide open McCoy last week. I think it was closer to buckingham palace than it was to McCoy. I think he is what he is. It sucks but I think that's real. I had an open mind until last week. Have seen him now in 2 systems. TT is still an unknown in my book, I'm eager to see more. Edited by YoloinOhio

all of this

I think it's harder this year because I really believe that, with the right coaching, we are a better team. Yes, the injuries suck, but the talent on the team isn't the problem for once and I think we easily could be 5-2. Beating the Giants and Jags.

We wouldn't be perfect, but I'd be way more confident going into the second half

In the NFL you have to win the games your supposed to. This team hasnt figured out how to do that. This season is going to be a gut wrench the rest of the way through. I have zero hope for the playoffs and im glad we arent playing this weekend looking forward to some steelhead fishing

don't kill yourself this time :P

The Bills are staying in Buffalo where they belong. There will be a new stadium, most likely downtown on a great site. Things will change, but not overnight. Hey, get rid of Rex and stumble upon a Franchise QB and it's a whole new world! Rex probably gets another year, but this is a long-term, big picture deal. That's what I keep telling myself. And my wife. And my kids..... and the dog....

i will say I can't get the image out of my mind of him throwing the screen pass to wide open McCoy last week. I think it was closer to buckingham palace than it was to McCoy. I think he is what he is. It sucks but I think that's real. I had an open mind until last week. Have seen him now in 2 systems. TT is still an unknown in my book, I'm eager to see more.

Come on! Who hasn't wanted to throw a pass to Buckingham Palace? I can't hold that one against him.

i will say I can't get the image out of my mind of him throwing the screen pass to wide open McCoy last week. I think it was closer to buckingham palace than it was to McCoy. I think he is what he is. It sucks but I think that's real. I had an open mind until last week. Have seen him now in 2 systems. TT is still an unknown in my book, I'm eager to see more.

I don't know what the FO was thinking in ej, when I watched him college I was like "eh he's ok maybe a decent backup" then we pick him in the first and thought you stupid :censored::censored: :censored: :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: ers.

I seriously doubt TT develops as a pocket passer, and his passing had regressed every game he played.

I hate losing but this year there a 3 top QBs that could be good to great (never know how a player develops) and getting one of them could turn this franchise around.

I think it's harder this year because I really believe that, with the right coaching, we are a better team. Yes, the injuries suck, but the talent on the team isn't the problem for once and I think we easily could be 5-2. Beating the Giants and Jags.

We wouldn't be perfect, but I'd be way more confident going into the second half

The defense WAS good until Rex tried to force square pegs, the offense is a patchwork of other teams players which rarely works. We drank the koolaid again :cry:

we could easily be 2 - 5

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

There is nothing mystifying about our team and its prospects. Until there is good qb play the team will continue to be mired in its generational malaise. Are there deficiencies on the roster? Absolutely. All teams have deficiencies within their rosters. There is no perfect team in the league, including the Pats.

When the regular season is over most of the teams that have a quality starter will be participating in the playoffs. Teams that have qbs who are in the last quarter of the rankings usually don't qualify for the playoffs.

You can have a competitive team if you have an exceptional defense and running game. But if you don't have a good (not elite) qb you won't be able to compensate for lacking a competent starting qb.

To add insult to our troubled qb situation this offseason the new owners hired a mediocre HC and gave him a five year contract. Don't let anyone tell you that coaching isn't a factor in the undisciplined and unintelligent play of the team! When it gets to the point that the HC has his team wearing bracelets reminding them to control themselves then you know that the team has serious issues relating to the coaching staff and players.

This franchise has historically stumbled not because of bad luck but because of the inept way it has been managed.

Edited by JohnC

Give it until our next win and you will be excited..... It is how they do it to us.

Such a shame. So many fans got too high this year. Me included. The sky was the limit!

Thats on us.

why would any of us truly think after all these years Bills would be shot from a cannon and into the playoffs?

The hype sucked us in.

The media divided us.

i feel bad for those of us who are truly teetering as a fan.

i say, if you have made it fifteen or so years already, might as well hang around. Unless you would rather head out to the backyard and rake leaves on Sundays.

Go Bills!

It seems there was a lot of irrational exuberance. Even after a solid offseason ( if such things can be quantified before a single down is played) , just too many facts were ignored. In case anyone forgot, Tom Brady still resided in the AFC East. So did Bill Belichick and Gronkowski. That has made this fifteen year ( and counting) playoff absence more gut wrenching and has also likely been the main contributor to it. Say the Pats had been transported to the AFC west or even the NFC for that time period. It's likely the Bills would have had at least a season or two where they would qualify for the postseason with perhaps 9 wins. Possibly even as a division champion. Anyone like to trade places with Indy? Their struggles this season have been many and they were handled rather easily by the Bills in the opener that seems like it was 6 months ago. Yet it's plausible that the Colts win that pathetic division with as few as 7 wins. There have been no top QBs in the AFC East since Brady broke on the scene. This odd matter of happenstance and its two automatic losses have placed a moratorium on Bills playoff appearances indefinitely. Not giving the Bills and their hierarchy a pass for the drought, but they've been forced to reach a much higher standard than the rest of a league that is generally a mediocrity. So we've been delivered a sobering reality check to expectations that likely were out of hand. With no proven QB, a new HC and the changeover in staff that comes with it, and a Defense that had nowhere to go but down after going 1-2 in sacks the past two seasons, is it a total surprise? So take a deep breath and realize that the season isn't sunk. The AFC looks weaker than it has in some time. The division was never really in play to anyone paying attention. If the Bills get some of their better players back healthy, especially Taylor, a wild card is not impossible. Expecting every move to go as planned doesn't happen unless you happen to be New England. While it already feels like an eternity, even that franchise will find that it doesn't last forever.

The Bills are staying in Buffalo where they belong. There will be a new stadium, most likely downtown on a great site. Things will change, but not overnight. Hey, get rid of Rex and stumble upon a Franchise QB and it's a whole new world! Rex probably gets another year, but this is a long-term, big picture deal. That's what I keep telling myself. And my wife. And my kids..... and the dog....

Come on! Who hasn't wanted to throw a pass to Buckingham Palace? I can't hold that one against him.

I agree with this. Many of the players are not as good as most people thought. I knew we were in trouble when players were talking about being the best defense ever before ever playing a regular season game.

I'm fine with raking the leaves. Better than mf. Oops. Better than ej. I always get those 2 letters confused with ej.

well, they do need to be raked at some point. I still like to set aside some time in my week my year, Fall sundays mostly. to just forget everything but the game. just for a little while.

I agree with this. Many of the players are not as good as most people thought. I knew we were in trouble when players were talking about being the best defense ever before ever playing a regular season game.

yep.

a lot of projecting based upon wishful hope.

i mean sure i can see that. But gotta temper the emotions of spring renewed lest they break your heart

My advice is to to only focus on the Miami game after the bye.

That matchup seems to favor us and it's a home game with many coming back off injury including Tyrod.

I think we'll win that one and get some momentum on our side again.

After that, just take it one game at a time.

If I had to bet, I'd say we don't make the playoffs, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief one game at a time.

Well, actually, that was mostly the big mouth coach. The players aren't any worse. The coach would resign if he had any dignity, and didn't need the extra $20 million. So..... NEVER happening. I wouldn't even hire him as DC. Schwartz killed it with the same guys. Rex is our downfall.

The penalties are ruining the NFL for me. Breaks up the flow of the game and takes away too many big plays. I find college football, especially SEC teams, much more enjoyable to watch now.

As for the Bills, it's been this way for quite a while for me - I don't project about the season's success, I take each game on its own, and hope that somewhere along the line there's a game or two worth burning onto a DVD for posterity. Green Bay game last year was the highlight for me. If we get another game like that this year, that's all I can ask for.

I don't even watch them if the game isn't going well and it's really nice out. I go outside and will watch it on DVR later. Passed up too many beautiful fall days watching them crap the bed.

Gave up my seasons in 2010 and didn't even get out to B-lo to a game this year or last.

They've worn me out after watching them for 48 seasons - all except about a dozen or so of those have been disappointing.

Actually, they became much less tolerable once I gave up drinking 0:)

Man I wish I could bottle your enthusiasm and positive demeanor. I could quit possibly cure cancer.

Remember BR (Before Rex) when our defensive line was to be feared and our LBs were great? Now , our LBs are below average and defensive line sucks and overall we have a soft defense??? AR(after Rex) we now have a mediocre defense with basically same players. Coach Doug Moron looks like vince Lombardi compared to our clown coach.

Except for the Jags loss, the Bills were beaten by two teams who outmatched them and had well established QBs and systems. Make that extremely well established QBs and systems.

The Jags loss was a bad one, but it did happen against our backup QB- who happened to have a horrible game.

They might not turn into legit contenders, but they most assuredly are better than we saw early last Sunday AM and should continue to improve.

Edited by jethro_tull

The beauty of being a Bills fan is I can jump on my motorcycle. Take a nice ride. Get home, check the game and see that I havent missed a thing. I'm just about ripe on this team and frankly the NFL period. It just doesn't really do it for me anymore. The whole deal is entirely random.

But...as always, GO BILLS !!