Reasons NOT to Watch Bills/Jags on Yahoo

blzrul

The fact that it's on at 6:30 a.m. here in the West isn't causing me angst - but it occurs to me that the higher the viewership, the more likely we're going to see this continue.

Only in the future, it will be PPV.

So that means you can pay for Sunday Ticket and still get screwed.

Hence, I am not going to watch. I hope that it will be on NFL Replay.

Screw you Goodell.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it's on at 6:30 a.m. here in the West isn't causing me angst - but it occurs to me that the higher the viewership, the more likely we're going to see this continue.

Screw you Goodell.

GamePass? Yes. NFL Replay for Ills vs. Hags? Doubt it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I welcome an online PPV model, quite frankly.

Buy in bulk at scale, or buy game to game.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the several hundred DTV charges for the ticket...on top of your satellite subscription.

Plus, even if they sold ads at a reduced cost, it would probably still net more revenue for the shield.

Resist all you like. But it's happening.

Screw you Goodell.

Good idea, I'm guessing the NFL is rethinking this concept as we speak.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the several hundred DTV charges for the ticket...on top of your satellite subscription.

Plus, even if they sold ads at a reduced cost, it would probably still net more revenue for the shield.

Pretty much what I was thinking. With the blackout rule gone and only sunday ticket being available for watching all games the NFL and other networks are going to start turning over rocks to find a way to make more money.

Pretty much what I was thinking. With the blackout rule gone and only sunday ticket being available for watching all games the NFL and other networks are going to start turning over rocks to find a way to make more money.

I for one welcome our corporate overlords - as long as I can get my Bills game fix...

As a consumer I love the idea of an a la carte PPV model as well. However I struggle with how the NFL would make more money doing that than they do bundling it the way they do now. If it means less money for the NFL, I can't see them going that way.

Then again I guess if they eliminated the ticket and made each PPV $25, fans of one team would pay $400 for one season instead of whatever the ticket costs now. And the bonus for the consumer would be they wouldn't need to subscribe to DTV to get the games. Hmmmm. I seem to be changing my mind mid post :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

I pay $4000 a year for season tickets, plus the travel to go to 3-4 games, plus the loss I take on tickets that don't sell because the team sucks. I'm not paying another $25 to stream a game. I had to get a Fire TV stick (because I didn't want to mess with HDMI and my smart TV is too old to be compatible with Win10) ... plus remember that internet providers will, sooner or later (some already do) start charging per usage. I can only imagine what it would cost to stream a few games a month on top of PPV.

EJ to Hogan is tempting though.

How are you going to be able to refrain from watching the EJ to Hogan connection? I mean, this is must see TV

oh god so much for being ambassadors for the game and gaining international fans. they are probably going to kick us out of the country after this one and tell us not to come back

and great for all those without high speed Internet

They actually charge for Sunday Ticket? News to me. B-)

Screw you Goodell.

What's ironic is that this game is really the first free and available game for everyone in the world. But it's a test run on adding a new medium and revenue source for the NFL. We are always going to have to pay for it (I'm an out of market long time Sunday Ticket Owner).

I don't see it supplanting Sunday Ticket but being a secondary revenue source-at least at first. While this game is free, ultimately they may offer a la carte Internet options for viewing various games. I would welcome that.

I remember crazy days of sneaking onto rooftops of apartment buildings and setting up a secret and hidden satellite (yeah did that) or jimmy rigging it on my Chicago downtown apartment balcony where satellites were not welcome and then covering it up with a plant (yup), etc.

Frankly this option, if it had existed, would have made my life much easier.

Also your one person boycott of a free streaming game isn't going to change much.

I am shocked that the networks are not fighting this method viewing. It will render them to a status of unnecessary middlemen if successful.

Screw you Goodell.

You're looking at this all wrong...

This is the start of paying for the games and tv that you want, and not paying extra for the extra bull ****. The internet is going to eventually take over cable and satellite broadcasting. It's about time that these ****ty cable providers have some legit competition.

Bahahaha!

Let me tell you, a double-fault final-play elimination hasn't occurred since the Helsinki episode of 1919, and I think we all remember how THAT turned out!

CBF

Maybe the y will show it on the Ocho. Just remember to GO BALLS DEEP!

I pay $4000 a year for season tickets, plus the travel to go to 3-4 games, plus the loss I take on tickets that don't sell because the team sucks. I'm not paying another $25 to stream a game. I had to get a Fire TV stick (because I didn't want to mess with HDMI and my smart TV is too old to be compatible with Win10) ... plus remember that internet providers will, sooner or later (some already do) start charging per usage. I can only imagine what it would cost to stream a few games a month on top of PPV.

EJ to Hogan is tempting though.

Why do you have to pay $25.00?

full disclosure, I work for AT&T, but have *no* insider info when it comes to plans with DTV and the Sunday Ticket. I work in the Government Services segment so don't have any direct exposure to the plans on consumer... having said that....

The model seems to be now to chop content up into easily digestible pieces that can be streamed to any connected device, and offered ala carte. These days, a connected device can be anything from a smartphone to a TV to a tablet to a PC. I believe we'll see, in the next few years,not only a full PPV model for NFL games on a freemium basis, but an escalating price model based on popularity of the team/game. The freemium piece might be, you can watch the entire game in low def for 'free' or maybe the 1st quarter in HD, then have to pay for the rest, or to get it in HD. You might also pay more to watch cowboys/giants than bills/jags.

I can see why my employer would want to do this. AT&T hasn't lasted 140ish years by losing money. I hate the whole thing though. I don't want to stream the game, and watch it on my ipad. That sucks. How am supposed to watch the game this Sunday with my family? nobody wants to sit around a 10" ipad, so maybe everyone watches it on their own ipad. yeah, very social, and having 4 full def streams going over my broadband connection should work just great. On that note, I'm not going to watch on Sunday. I'm thinking the game will suck anyways, and I don't really want to disrupt my normal sunday morning routine just to be disappointed again.

I have DirectTV for one reason.....to watch the sabres. Most Bills games are on network TV and the ones that aren't give me an excuse to go to a bar. If the Sabres and Bills allowed PPV in local markets, I'd have HBO GO and Netflix. That said, I bet watching the game sunday morning on my Roku is a lesson in frustration. We'll see.

I have heard that some people use a VPN to route their Internet connection through European servers, thus enabling them to purchase NFL Game Pass. I understand that this enables them to see all of the Bills games (except hypothetical post-season contests) live and in archived/condensed form for $99 per year. I, of course, have no personal experience with this, as I imagine it probably is not what the NFL has in mind in offering this fine service only to out-of-country fans.

I have DirectTV for one reason.....to watch the sabres. Most Bills games are on network TV and the ones that aren't give me an excuse to go to a bar. If the Sabres and Bills allowed PPV in local markets, I'd have HBO GO and Netflix. That said, I bet watching the game sunday morning on my Roku is a lesson in frustration. We'll see.

Yeah I have a browser on my smart TV and the PS4 has one as well. The problem with a lot of web streaming is they require proprietary plugins to the browser... that wont work on TV based browsers typically just IE, Chrome, and Firefox, maybe iOS Safari. I'll boldly predict a lot of frustrated and pissed people Sunday morning.

full disclosure, I work for AT&T, but have *no* insider info when it comes to plans with DTV and the Sunday Ticket. I work in the Government Services segment so don't have any direct exposure to the plans on consumer... having said that....

The model seems to be now to chop content up into easily digestible pieces that can be streamed to any connected device, and offered ala carte. These days, a connected device can be anything from a smartphone to a TV to a tablet to a PC. I believe we'll see, in the next few years,not only a full PPV model for NFL games on a freemium basis, but an escalating price model based on popularity of the team/game. The freemium piece might be, you can watch the entire game in low def for 'free' or maybe the 1st quarter in HD, then have to pay for the rest, or to get it in HD. You might also pay more to watch cowboys/giants than bills/jags.

I can see why my employer would want to do this. AT&T hasn't lasted 140ish years by losing money. I hate the whole thing though. I don't want to stream the game, and watch it on my ipad. That sucks. How am supposed to watch the game this Sunday with my family? nobody wants to sit around a 10" ipad, so maybe everyone watches it on their own ipad. yeah, very social, and having 4 full def streams going over my broadband connection should work just great. On that note, I'm not going to watch on Sunday. I'm thinking the game will suck anyways, and I don't really want to disrupt my normal sunday morning routine just to be disappointed again.

The DirecTV contract with the NFL was renewed within the last 2 years for 10 years. So there's some time to find the "replacement" model. I think they'll be tinkering with it for awhile. I watched a few games on my iPad and they weren't bad, but agree it's not the way to do.

Get a cheap device like the fireTV stick ($40) or something like it and watch on your TV. Plus as the streaming model becomes more and more popular, all TVs will have this capability native.

yeah sweet it'll be like working another 3 hours...sitting at a desk watching a monitor, way better than my leather couch and 65" 4k tv

if you have a 65" 4k TV....hook up your laptop to the TV.....the complaining about this game is getting ridiculous.

Get a cheap device like the fireTV stick ($40) or something like it and watch on your TV. Plus as the streaming model becomes more and more popular, all TVs will have this capability native.

Does Yahoo have a 'channel' on fireTV? Most of the time devices like that are pointed at things like netflix, youtube, so on, but don't have a browser function. Maybe the newer ones do?

if you have a 65" 4k TV....hook up your laptop to the TV.....the complaining about this game is getting ridiculous.

Right, again, *I* can do that, and YOU can do that. I don't expect my parents are up for the hassle. By virtue of the fact that we're on an internet forum, there's a certain level of technical sophistication present. There are a lot of people that wouldn't know 16:9 from a hole in the ground, much less HDMI and signal splitting. The NFL has made watching this game sh1ttier by any rational standard.