Percy Harvin Out vs. Miami; Placed on Injured Reserve

Bo Jackon dislocated his hip during a game. He subsequently devloped avascular necrosis of his femoral head, requiring hip replacement.

Harvin has a "hip injury"...

From what I recall Harvin had a torn labrum which required surgery the year the Seahawks won the SB. The fact that it's still bothering him two years later tells me it's a lingering problem that might require more surgery as it's obviously not getting better from just rest and PT.

Between his migraines, hip and attitude I didn't want the Bills to sign the guy. Thankfully it didn't really cost them anything as they still have their WR corps in tact from last year. Thankfully they didn't make some rash move to get rid of Woods.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could mean a lot of things, but that is - by far - the most Pollyanna way to assume the situation is transpiring. It could be:

- Just about Harvin getting healthy (as you assume)

- Harvin dealing with some personal matters unrelated to football that are interfering with his playing

- Harvin taking a powder because he's unhappy with the team/his use/etc. (and it wouldn't be the first time that happened, or the second)

- Harvin deciding whether or not his body has had enough of football

It really could be any one or multiple ones of those. I suspect that it isn't primarily #1 mainly because there hasn't been any mention of medical evaluations or treatments. The other issue is his track record. He's never put his team ahead of himself and despite many posters thinking his 2 whole months of keeping his mouth shut and suiting up while with the Jets meant he'd changed, some of us weren't convinced. I hoped he could make it through 1 season without the same issues raising their heads because he has so much on the line financially, but here we are in a situation that looks very familiar.

i feel like 1 & 4 both cover the content i mentioned. if anything i was skewing towards 4, with the team just being supportive. I think 2 is a jump until we hear indication of anything like that, and 3 is also a large jump. maybe hes out there getting high, but a basic "we will see where hes at when we get back" sounds pretty simple unless you are actively trying to construct a deeper narrative.

From what I recall Harvin had a torn labrum which required surgery the year the Seahawks won the SB. The fact that it's still bothering him two years later tells me it's a lingering problem that might require more surgery as it's obviously not getting better from just rest and PT.

Between his migraines, hip and attitude I didn't want the Bills to sign the guy. Thankfully it didn't really cost them anything as they still have their WR corps in tact from last year. Thankfully they didn't make some rash move to get rid of Woods.

yup - if we were going to entertain a guy like this, we did it the right way. i dont trade a high pick or give him a big contract, or plan around him being here long term - but simply a short term hired gun to add to our arsenal

"Migraines, Hip and Attitude"

There's a rap song there, somewhere.

That and he had the new fangled injection in his hip during training camp.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tell-your-grandkids-about-the-2015-buffalo-bills/

So how's that "let's get a bunch of small quick guys and make them try to cover all of them" theory going?

Tyrod, McCoy, Sammy, Percy ... all missing significant time. This is often spun by Bills fans as "why to bad things always happen to the Bills? Look at our injury list." The truth is: build your offense around small, quick guys who are higher than average injury risks, don't act shocked when they get injured. (I know, McCoy has been sturdy, put he's an aging back who depends on quickness)

Yup, been saying the same thing.. Don't forget to add as many sh*t heads and a--holes as you possibly can while releasing Fred Jackson. Bravo Rex and Doug, made a deal with the devil and lost anyway Edited by SJDK

Yup, been saying the same thing.. Don't forget to add as many sh*t heads and a--holes as you possibly can while releasing Fred Jackson. Bravo Rex and Doug, made a deal with the devil and lost anyway

what does releasing fred jackson have to do with this? last I checked fred was also suffering from injuries. people really need to move from that. you think keeping fred jackson would have us at 6-0 right now?

why are we constantly dwelling on things that are in the past, as if they are the reason for current situations. fred is gone. he's crashing cars out here in Seattle. Move on.

I like fred, but every time there is a low point we talk about the players we should not have released.

when Karlos Williams was shredding, all i saw was people posting "fred who?"

mighty fickle.

Edited by 87168

Ian Rappoport reporting just now on NFL network...

He said he is told that after several days of reflection, Harvin will continue to play...if the hip condition allows him to do it.

Sounds like he discussed the idea of retiring with a few friends of his a few days ago. Perhaps that was not serious talk of retirement but that didn't stop the press from running wild with the "story" as "HARVIN TO RETIRE" has more shock value than "HARVIN'S HIP INJURED AGAIN, CONTEMPLATING OPTIONS."

Yup, been saying the same thing.. Don't forget to add as many sh*t heads and a--holes as you possibly can while releasing Fred Jackson. Bravo Rex and Doug, made a deal with the devil and lost anyway

But when we go big, strong and slow we lost every game to the small fast guys. Whatever you are doing is wrong.

Ian Rappoport reporting just now on NFL network...

He said he is told that after several days of reflection, Harvin will continue to play...if the hip condition allows him to do it.

Sounds like he discussed the idea of retiring with a few friends of his a few days ago. Perhaps that was not serious talk of retirement but that didn't stop the press from running wild with the "story" as "HARVIN TO RETIRE" has more shock value than "HARVIN'S HIP INJURED AGAIN, CONTEMPLATING OPTIONS."

he will thankfully be gone in a few months. The question is. Was he medically cleared to play today? if so and he was " reflecting" well that confirms pretty much what every team but Ryan's think of him. Of all the "second chance" signings or in Harvins case fourth chance. His signing and issues should be of no surprise. A waste of 6 mil. And a roster spot. Edited by Best Player Available

Would be great to get Percy back if he is healthy

NFL Network just ran the Rapoport report again but with Rich Eisen this time.

Ian was very clear that if Harvin is healthy, he will play this season for the Bills.

For what that's worth.

NFL Network just ran the Rapoport report again but with Rich Eisen this time.

Ian was very clear that if Harvin is healthy, he will play this season for the Bills.

For what that's worth.

yep he just tweeted it

@RapSheet: If #Bills WR Percy Harvin's hip injury is healthy enough to allow him, he will play for the #Bills this season. No planned retirement coming

Assumption is this is message agent wants out there

Edited by YoloinOhio

If Percy is taking time for personal reasons, one has to assume that it is because he is contemplating leaving football because of his health. And if that is the case, then his heart is already out of football.

It's kind of like when you start contemplating leaving your job for another one. Once you start entertaining the idea, its already over. You want out and it is inevitable.

Even if Percy comes back, he won't be playing with his full potential. His heart won't be in it 100%. Maybe he still contributes to the team, but do we want another player playing like Orton did towards the end of the season last year? He could cost us a game if he does that.

Percy...High five..thanks for the few moments....enjoy your retirement.

More lie a torn labia majorum. If he's already considering retiring, throw him the party.

he will thankfully be gone in a few months. The question is. Was he medically cleared to play today? if so and he was " reflecting" well that confirms pretty much what every team but Ryan's think of him. Of all the "second chance" signings or in Harvins case fourth chance. His signing and issues should be of no surprise. A waste of 6 mil. And a roster spot.

No indication he was healthy for today, but don't let that stop a rant.

No indication he was healthy for today, but don't let that stop a rant.

Plenty of indication he has been a nightmare everywhere he has been. Typical snark remark on your part. You're really getting good at it. Are you a priest down there?

Whaley and or Ryan would not have been so vague if Harvin was communicating. Thus IMO my comment has a 50/50 chance of being correct. he is a douche ask some of his former teamates/teams.

Translation: my agent said that if I retire now, I need to pay back $4 million

Actually the Bills could only try to recoup a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus if he retired due to not wanting to play anymore. If he retires due to injury they cannot recoup any signing bonus money. Harvin is a vested veteran so a release by the team would typically mean he'd get his salary for the remainder of the year too, but I'm not sure If that's true for a retirement. I'd guess that it'd work the same as the signing bonus - they wouldn't have to pay if retirement was elective, but would if he retired due to injury. The whole question of severity of injury and whether or not it should equate to a retirement isn't easy to prove and there's a pretty bright spotlight on player injuries right now. If Harvin is taking a powder the Bills might be best served reaching some sort of settlement with him and moving on.

Signing players with anything close to Harvin's track record to anything but incentive laden contracts is rarely a smart move. The Bills made a mistake and it's going to cost them $6M for minimal production. It was a stupid move and the (very predictable) result sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Actually the Bills could only try to recoup a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus if he retired due to not wanting to play anymore. If he retires due to injury they cannot recoup any signing bonus money. Harvin is a vested veteran so a release by the team would typically mean he'd get his salary for the remainder of the year too, but I'm not sure If that's true for a retirement. I'd guess that it'd work the same as the signing bonus - they wouldn't have to pay if retirement was elective, but would if he retired due to injury. The whole question of severity of injury and whether or not it should equate to a retirement isn't easy to prove and there's a pretty bright spotlight on player injuries right now. If Harvin is taking a powder the Bills might be best served reaching some sort of settlement with him and moving on.

Signing players with anything close to Harvin's track record to anything but incentive laden contracts is rarely a smart move. The Bills made a mistake and it's going to cost them $6M for minimal production. It was a stupid move and the (very predictable) result sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

If he's injured to the point of retirement I'd assume he'd hit IR collect his salary and file the papers in January.

No incentive to retire today

If he's injured to the point of retirement I'd assume he'd hit IR collect his salary and file the papers in January.

No incentive to retire today

That's the issue. One would think that if the injury was serious he'd be IRed, but that's not happening. That's what's leading many of us to infer that this is more of an issue of Harvin not wanting to play for the Bills anymore this year. He's probably dinged. He could probably play through it now or at some point this season at less than 100%. He'd probably rather shut it down and get healthy for his next contract. That would all make sense and be in line with his past behavior.

That's the issue. One would think that if the injury was serious he'd be IRed, but that's not happening. That's what's leading many of us to infer that this is more of an issue of Harvin not wanting to play for the Bills anymore this year. He's probably dinged. He could probably play through it now or at some point this season at less than 100%. He'd probably rather shut it down and get healthy for his next contract. That would all make sense and be in line with his past behavior.

IF that is the case....we need to IR him immediately and trade for a WR or bring up Dez Lewis

IF that is the case....we need to IR him immediately and trade for a WR or bring up Dez Lewis

If he's not coming back id rather they reach an injury settlement with him and free up a little cap room.

NBC was reporting that Harvin never said he was thinking of retirement, that the story came from the Bills. WTF is going on??

Posturing and money. Harvin and his agent want all of the $1.63M remaining salary for the season and they want to keep all of the $3M signing bonus already paid. If Harvin was to elect to retire at this point (not injury related) then the Bills wouldn't owe him his remaining salary and could try to recoup a prorated portion of his signing bonus - either $1.69M or $2.56M depending upon whether his contract is considered 1 or 3 years in length. If he's too injured to play again this season due to football injury then the Bills could recoup nothing and would owe him his remaining salary for the year. The Bills would rather he play if able, I'm sure, but you can't make him do that. I'd wager that there's a substantial difference between what team doctors say about his ability to play again this season and what he's saying. Thus the rumors about him being angry the Bills won't IR him, about him retiring, etc. Hopefully this gets worked out over the break and he either sucks it up and gets back on the field or they reach some sort of settlement that yields some cap relief.

i must have missed those ones - source? (genuinely curious)

I honestly don't remember. I don't listen to much local sports radio so it might have been on one of the Sirius sports stations. I googled it and didn't come up with anything. Maybe someone inferred that from recent events and reported it - or maybe I did. If I find it I'll post a link here.

It was right when this all started and I've come to learn that the moments before agents, lawyers and PR professionals get involved is when the unvarnished truth is usually told. Once everyone in the CYA business is on the case, that's all over. For example, a player gets injured playing basketball in the offseason, tweets it and within a couple hours the story changes to "injured myself training". That happened with Suggs a few years back. I suspect it happened with Fred and Lynch screwing around and racing out of the team parking lot. It happens with a lot more serious things than the examples I just gave, too.

Edited by BarleyNY

NBC was reporting that Harvin never said he was thinking of retirement, that the story came from the Bills. WTF is going on??

You're listening to reporters who likely are just guessing as to what is going on. We see this all the time. Reporters say stuff with no backup, then aren't held accountable. Let's just wait it out and see. No reason to get all fired up about something where we don't know all the facts.