Rex playing Mind Games with Belicheck?

ko12010

Anyone think that Rex is setting up Belicheck for the 2nd meeting/playoffs?

Seriously, I understand how whacky this sounds, so no need to say it, and I'm not necessarily saying I'm considering this as a possibility. But did this thought cross anyone else's mind?

A week 2 win against Bill and Co. while showing your hand and throwing the kitchen sink in an all out effort to win isn't so great if you lose the 2nd meeting and/or playoffs.

Could Rex be going with the long con?

The only reason this thought even entered my head was because playing the DB's off the WR's all game when NE was throwing 95% short passes legitimately makes zero sense, even to people like us.

And I'm not suggesting Rex intentionally threw the game, just that he tried something different/played vanilla/tried to lull Belicheck into a false sense of having the upper hand going forward. We still almost came back and won.

Seriously, I understand how whacky this sounds, so no need to say it, and I'm not necessarily saying I'm considering this as a possibility. But did this thought cross anyone else's mind?

A week 2 win against Bill and Co. while showing your hand and throwing the kitchen sink in an all out effort to win isn't so great if you lose the 2nd meeting and/or playoffs.

The only reason this thought even entered my head was because playing the DB's off the WR's all game when NE was throwing 95% short passes legitimately makes zero sense, even to people like us.

And I'm not suggesting Rex intentionally threw the game, just that he tried something different/played vanilla/tried to lull Belicheck into a false sense of having the upper hand going forward. We still almost came back and won.

Just post anything that pops into your head, man. We're here for you.

I think the OP has a point.

In fact, I take it a step further. I firmly believe the entire conference... No, the whole league has been lulling Belicheck into a false sense of security for the last, oh, 13 years or so. Game by game, trophy by trophy, making him think he's got something special going on, until one day, 15-16 years into the long con... WHAMMY!! He opens the can of mixed nuts at his birthday party, and ALL the snakes come springing out. It'll be TOTALLY hilarious, you guys!

Edited by jimmy10

I had not thought of this, but THAT WOULD TOTALLY REDEEM REX!

I seriously has the gut feeling as well, that Rex was saving his best for Sunday night/playoffs. Why didn't he send the house more often and why didn't he double cover gronk? Then...... I felt like Mel Gibson from the movie "Conspiracy Theory" so I just accepted the loss. Our long-con theory could still have some clout though, we'll see....

In fact, I take it a step further. I firmly believe the entire conference... No, the whole league has been lulling Belicheck into a false sense of security for the last, oh, 13 years or so. Game by game, trophy by trophy, making him think he's got something special going on, until one day, 15-16 years into the long con... WHAMMY!! He opens the can of mixed nuts at his birthday party, and ALL the snakes come springing out. It'll be TOTALLY hilarious, you guys!

Heck, take it even further, to his Hall Of Fame induction. Right before they put the jacket on him, Roger Goodell comes out, pulls it away, and says "no way Jose". And then the entire audience laughs at him, as Tom Brady is shown crying.

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to say that I also thought that might be his strategy. Logically, the way Rex called that game made zero sense. I think he's confident in beating the Patriots when it matters, but not if they know what's coming up.

For a guy who's done pretty well against them defensively with not as much talent as he has right now, last Sunday was a complete head-scratcher. There has to be more behind the scenes. His vanilla defense made absolutely no sense when you look at what he's done in the past.

Edited by QB Bills

Heck, take it even further, to his Hall Of Fame induction. Right before they put the jacket on him, Roger Goodell comes out, pulls it away, and says "no way Jose". And then the entire audience laughs at him, as Tom Brady is shown crying.

Now that's just crazy talk.

I don't think Rex is that far thinking nor would that even make much sense (You need to win games in the regular season first). It's tempting to think that Rex has some sort of long con going because of how poorly coached the defense was and considering how the Jets in 2010 lost 45-3 to the Pats* late in the year only to turn around and beat them 28-21 (With a TD scored with 1:17 in the game by the Pats*) in the playoffs. But while I do think that it's likely and at the very least possible that the Bills second effort against the Pats* will see a much better result defensively, I don't think the first poor effort was something intended.

Edited by billsfan89

You should have stopped right there.

But you will anyway

You've figured it out ... How have we all missed this?

You have to first win a lot of games to have to think about playoffs. Failing to bring your best to a division rival at home is not the way to win a lot of games.

I think Rex and his team crapped the bed, period, end of sentence.

Considering Rex threw everything but the kitchen sink at the NE when his Jets first played them way back in Week 2 in his first season, I highly doubt this is the case...lol

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to say that I also thought that might be his strategy. Logically, the way Rex called that game made zero sense. I think he's confident in beating the Patriots when it matters, but not if they know what's coming up.

For a guy who's done pretty well against them defensively with not as much talent as he has right now, last Sunday was a complete head-scratcher. There has to be more behind the scenes. His vanilla defense made absolutely no sense when you look at what he's done in the past.

agree, the Bills are going to lose games early on to set teams up for later in the season. F***ing brilliant!! Edited by Just Jack
removed political comment

LOL! Nice!

As much as I hate to admit it, it did cross my mind.

why not blitz, get after a Qb, when that is supposed to be their forte?

Unless you don't want to show too much, or you think that is what he is expecting, or you want to win with basic defense, or ..... er, nevermind.

then it left my mind, ... I think.

http://crackcocainerecovery.com/

agree, the Bills are going to lose games early on to set teams up for later in the season. F***ing brilliant!!

Not saying he was throwing the game. That's just crazy talk. Just that he may not have thrown the kitchen sink at the Pats this time around and tried to win with a vanilla defense. Brady just had one of the best days of his career though.

I would not doubt it for a second. If Rex was miked up:

"Hey Tyrod - throw a pick instead of trying to tie up the game. Trust me"

After strip sack fumble on Brady"what the hell are you guys doin' we had em right where we wanted them."

"Now Cordy, they can't know how good you are. Turn style out there"

To Nigel "man up on Edelman every chance you get, beli will think that's our plan for the AFC chamionchip."

To aw23 "do not let them out of a third and long without committing a personal foul."

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood