did the NFL make new rules or did the refs make them up?

peterpan

clay got called for a chop block which negated a long gain and killed a drive. But the player clay cut was NOT engaged with another blocker. The ref said that the tackle "lured" the defender in?!?!? Whatever that might mean???

That has never been illegal before- did the red invent that infraction himself or is this some new rule???

Later in the game boobie got called for running into the punter - even though he made NO CONTACT with said punter. The ref said that boobie "did not allow the punter to land" or something.

I have never heard that called before and I don't believe it was ever illegal before. did the red invent that infraction himself or is this some new rule???

Among some other questionable calls these two were the most baffling.

clay got called for a chop block which negated a long gain and killed a drive. But the player clay cut was NOT engaged with another blocker. The ref said that the tackle "lured" the defender in?!?!? Whatever that might mean???

That has never been illegal before- did the red invent that infraction himself or is this some new rule???

Later in the game boobie got called for running into the punter - even though he made NO CONTACT with said punter. The ref said that boobie "did not allow the punter to land" or something.

I have never heard that called before and I don't believe it was ever illegal before. did the red invent that infraction himself or is this some new rule???

The punter rule is real. But their punter sold it very well.

I wasn't happy with the refs today. A few bad calls (protecting their punter but not ours, calling Hughes offside but not calling a delay of game, etc.) allowed the Colts to gain some momentum and stay in the game longer than they should have.

Not to mention the exact same thing happened to our punter with no call

It was not the same thing. Their guy was blocked into him.

As for the chop block, it was a terrible call. It is only a penalty if the player is engaged with another player. He clearly in no way was engaged with another player when Clay blocked him.

As for the chop block, it was a terrible call. It is only a penalty if the player is engaged with another player. He clearly in no way was engaged with another player when Clay blocked him.

Yea, the ref admitted that he wasn't engaged with another player. He said out T "lured" the defender??

I didn't mean to bring up the other bad calls, just these weird two. But if others want to talk about bad calls, they flagged Preston brown for landing on luck after his half head half feet first slide, yet the exact same thing happened to Tyrod twice with no call. IMO all three should have been no calls

It was a bad call by the ref. That was a "cut" block by Clay, not a chop block. A chop block is when an offensive player blocks a defensive player low while engaged with another blocker on the offense. Brutal brutal call.

Punter rule is real.

I'm interested in the phantom facemask on the 30 yard loss fumble and the personal foul on the kickoff they did not show on our kickoff. Shady business NFL.

This^^

there were awful calls but that phantom facemask was horrible. What made it worse was not only was there no facemask found on the replay on us but Hughes was clearly held and that didn't get called. Practically gave them one of their touchdowns.

Punter rule is real.

I'm interested in the phantom facemask on the 30 yard loss fumble and the personal foul on the kickoff they did not show on our kickoff. Shady business NFL.

That's the one I'm curious about. It was either shoddy officiating or shoddy broadcasting because none of the people I watched the game with saw it.

Can't say I've ever seen it called that way before but here is how it appears from the 2013 rule book. So it's not something brand new or made up. --
All other Chop Blocks are illegal, including in the following situations:
Forward pass plays and kicking plays:
(a) A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically engaged above the waist by the blocking attempt of A2.
(b) A2 physically engages a defensive player above the waist with a blocking attempt, and A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been broken and while A2 is still confronting the defensive player.
(c) A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a ―lure‖).
(d) A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and A2, simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high (―reverse chop‖).
Edited by Tuco

Can't say I've ever seen it called that way before but here is how it appears from the 2013 rule book. So it's not something brand new or made up. --

(a) A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically engaged above the waist by the blocking attempt of A2.

(b) A2 physically engages a defensive player above the waist with a blocking attempt, and A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been broken and while A2 is still confronting the defensive player.

(c) A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a ―lure‖).

(d) A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and A2, simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high (―reverse chop‖).

Happened last year to Calais Campbell. The rule is in for player safety so there is not really a gray area about it.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/10/06/nfl-correct-call-on-campbell-play/

It was right call.

The facemask I'd like to see a replay of though.

Schmidt was also not allowed to land on one of his punts. Maybe they didn't call it because the Colts player was pushed into him...

Yes. That's an exception to the rule.

It's silly because Glenn didn't "lure" the end at all on this play before Clay hit him. Clay fired right out into his legs and then went out into his pattern so I don't see what the problem is unless they're going to make all blocking below the waist illegal.

There needs to be a serious consideration for allowing penalty challenges. Same with the regular challenge, allow about 2 per game. The calls yesterday were not very good, but not horrible. I would be seriously pissed if I was a Giants fan. The PI call in the endzone practically won the game for the cowboys. It was just about the worst (no exaggeration) PI call I have ever seen.

I'm trying to find a video of it with no luck

Edited by Wazzu Bill

That actually is not correct. If an offensive player "lures" the defender by assuming a pass blocking posture while another chops low, it is a chop block which is exactly the call that was made. The ref even stated that the d-lineman was "lured". http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/calais-campbell-chop-block-penalty-injury-bruce-arians-rips-broncos-julius-thomas

Edited by Mickey