EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Last night on local NBC news (where Joe B works, btw), Adam Benigni listed the "Chances of Starting" as:

Cassel 50%

TT 43%

EJ 7%

These guys have no idea what theyre talking about. Even if you want to put EJ 3rd, which he probably is, make it a reasonable 50/30/20. Now they just look like idiots.

Howard and Sal talking yesterday...

Howard..."I don't think he's (EJ) in the running to start Saturday..."

Sal... "No I mean in the season, he's not in the running to start the season..."

Howard... "Oh...No...No forget it...I would not start him Saturday...No...He's not in the running to start the season..."

Now...Maybe Howard and the rest of them will get a little vindication if EJ falls flat or is not the starter vs Indy...Though his assumption was that EJ's not in the running at all...Which I think he clearly is...Even if he is 3rd right now...Which no one really knows...

This announcement today just proves how some of the ridiculous assumptions on WGR over that past month have indeed been a bit premature...It's like someone pointed out here yesterday...It's been a pack mentality with most of them since Mini Camp...It seemed like the minute one of them said EJ is out, and he may even be cut, the rest just jumped on that bandwagon willingly...Never giving it a second thought...I mean...It amazes me that with all these guys at WGR there's not a single one that stuck up for EJ and really backed the kid...And I'm not basing that on anything other than...What are the odds? Usually when you get 5-10 sports fanatics together you're going to get every type of opinion and everywhere there in between...But it was kind of a mob mentality there concerning EJ...And if in fact EJ does start vs Indy they are all going to look like complete and total idiots...I just don't see where they needed to handle it this way...It felt a bit like piling on to me...And again, what are the odds that all of these people so willingly agree on a subject like this? What? Were they all that afraid to disagree with Joe B while he was still there?... It just makes no sense to me at all...I swear some of the conspiracy theories I've heard make more sense than this many grown men agreeing on a sports subject... :lol:

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone ask these guys where they got their info, because it seems like they all got it from themselves and now are shocked that the info they pulled out of their ass is wrong.

The media was making a big deal out of which QB was getting the most reps with the ones on offense. The QB that was getting the most reps against the ones has been EJ. Something that everyone has been missing. All through camp, they have been running 2 simultaneous practices and players have been rotating between fields. All the focus has been on which QB is in with the starting offense. Big mistake and quite the curve ball to the media who don't really see the big picture the way the coaches do.

werent you pushing people to take the clear meaning from the reps in practice this week?

(just giving a little bit of a hard time)

Yep, I still think that. All 3 are playing with the 1's this week though. If they all take 2 drives with the 1's I do not think that it is telling. I didn't care too much about the rotation at practice either. Who was seeing the majority of snaps with the 1st was a better indication to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It is pretty clear though that they want to see what EJ can do behind the first team OL.

It was ONE report with no real credibility. The guy may have a good reporting background/record, but still, this is rumor at best.

We disagree here. Credible reporters and credible for a reason. He certainly heard it from a reliable source but it is subject to change. At that moment though I am 100% confident that was the feeling of those coaches.

I have no idea. I don't think that they are looking at any of the guys as wasting drives. All 3 are viable NFL players. If they are all going to play with the 1st team do you think that Rex cares that much about the order?

My guess is that the competition is closer than most think. I still believe that Rex wants Tyrod and Roman Cassel based on the report. I don't think that EJ is going to be cut or anything and has a chance to start games this year for sure.

I think there is a very good chance that Rex and Roman didn't think EJ had much of a chance three weeks ago either. And that the report at the time could very well have been true. But EJ has surprised them in the games as he has become more comfortable. Plus he probably really impressed them on the last drive with a bunch of really great throws under a lot of personable pressure. And the team sees it, too.

3 weeks ago, I could have been convinced that Rex was running a smokescreen and that there was no chance that EJ would be our regular season starter. Now I'm not so sure that this truly isn't a 3 way race for who's going to be our starter. For all of the writers and radio guys that like to say that EJ has been terrible, they really aren't looking at what the players have done with the time they've had. Who has the highest QB rating of the three? EJ is at 117.2 compared to Cassel at 90.1 and Taylor at 84.0. Who's finished long drives with touchdown passes? EJ has 2 versus the other guys having none. When all is said and done, EJ is getting a chance. The worst case scenario here is that he sputters out of the gates. With certainty in my mind, he would be relegated to #3. What happens though if he leads the team down the field against the #1 defense of the Steelers and puts it in the end zone? Is that what we finally want to see from our starter? Does that shoe him in to be the guy for the Indy game, or does Rex go with the Matt Cassel as a safety? I think that assuming that EJ isn't in the race is a fallacy. Rex isn't going to waste valuable time letting a guy start a preseason game just to show the fans that it's a fair fight, particularly if EJ was actually terrible. I think it's actually a fair fight!

Yep, I still think that.

And this wording right here separates the good posters from the not-so-good. A lesser poster would have taken offense at NoSaint's post and gotten combative and defensive. You, OTOH, stood by your position. Got to respect that even though I don't agree with your take always.

This quote is a little misleading. The part of the quote that is NOT from Rex is that EJ's time with the starters may be brief. That was PFT's suggestion, not Rex's.

Rex did say it, and no it's not misleading at all, given that the quotation includes the words "Ryan said"

Forgive my typing as I'm typing from the neck as my head is gone.

These posts have been fun. I agree this has to be a ploy by Rex. All reports from camp is EJ has been for every play on, he has several off where he hit a camera man in practice and so on.

No way they hand the reigns to him. The variable is do they even keep him on the team as he is free money.

I think there is a very good chance that Rex and Roman didn't think EJ had much of a chance three weeks ago either. And that the report at the time could very well have been true. But EJ has surprised them in the games as he has become more comfortable. Plus he probably really impressed them on the last drive with a bunch of really great throws under a lot of personable pressure. And the team sees it, too.

Wow, imagine that! A head coach likes seeing a former 1st round QB doing things a franchise QBs is expected to do in a game.

WGR's heads must be swimming today...LOL

We disagree here. Credible reporters and credible for a reason. He certainly heard it from a reliable source but it is subject to change. At that moment though I am 100% confident that was the feeling of those coaches.

But this was the only instance of this supposed Roman/Cassell thing. I'd be more inclined to take it more seriously if other credible reporters had come out with a similar scoop.

These posts have been fun. I agree this has to be a ploy by Rex. All reports from camp is EJ has been for every play on, he has several off where he hit a camera man in practice and so on.

No way they hand the reigns to him. The variable is do they even keep him on the team as he is free money.

You just might have to ignore your lying eyes on September 13th. :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure Rex just likes wasting critical game time just for sh*ts and giggles.

Agreed

From the media? Now that explains it then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Rockinon

And this wording right here separates the good posters from the not-so-good. A lesser poster would have taken offense at NoSaint's post and gotten combative and defensive. You, OTOH, stood by your position. Got to respect that even though I don't agree with your take always.

Thanks buddy!!

Too funny, EJ supporters acting giddy like little school girls. :lol:

Im a Bills Supporter who understands that the best thing that could happen to this team is if the kid they drafted in the 1st round a couple years agodevelops into a starting QB. I dont care who that player is, but it is what's best for the team.

Id also be very happy if the other young, developing QB we just added to the roster turned into a starter as well.

Nothing wrong with being excited about good things happening for the team.

Edited by DrDareustein

But this was the only instance of this supposed Roman/Cassell thing. I'd be more inclined to take it more seriously if other credible reporters had come out with a similar scoop.

Maybe but it depends on who his relationship is with. This staff is new in WNY and may not have ties to the local guys. This would eliminate a large portion of the people reporting on the Bills day-to-day. That would basically mean that it would have to be confirmed by a Schefter/Glazer type and they like to be the 1st to report something. It doesn't look good for them saying "I can confirm Jason Cole's report..."

I haven't read through this thread at all as I was at lunch and was chomping at the bit to get home and get on here but from what I saw, as per usual, Kirby Jackson is a pretty good voice of reason. I'm suspecting that there is a lot of "Ha ha! Take that EJ haters! What are you gonna do now WGR? Told ya so!" I will be the first to admit that this surprises me a little bit but I would be shocked- unless EJ plays better than we've ever seen him play AND Cassel AND Taylor implode- that he has any reasonable shot to start week 1. This move by no means unsubstantiates every last reporter associated with the Bills saying that EJ has looked the third best throughout the entirety of camp. This does not undermine Joe B's or anyone else's reporting as much as you want to think it does. My now famous source said himself that EJ was not part of the equation prior to the Browns game. That being said, let's see what he does with the opportunity. Go Bills!

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The right thing to do. They were obviously reading my posts...

photo-thumb-24567.jpg?_r=1409513025 Posted by LeGOATski on 21 August 2015 - 09:10 AM in The Stadium Wall

I think it may have sealed the deal for me, if he had put points up. I want to see EJ start in game 3. It makes sense, even if only to keep the QB intentions hidden from the Colts/media.

photo-thumb-24567.jpg?_r=1409513025 Posted by LeGOATski on 21 August 2015 - 08:55 AM in The Stadium Wall

I voted "too early to tell" because I want anyone but Cassel.

Both Tyrod and EJ have shown great improvement. I want to see one more game from them. In game 3, put EJ in first and Tyord in 2nd.

Let Cassel watch the game from his couch, for all I care.

What would be the point?

I am a supporter of EJ for many reasons. But as a Bills fan, I want the guy who will give us the chance to win to start. But no matter how things go over the next two weeks, I want EJ to remain on the team, and to continue his development, because he is still in my opinion the best long-term solution we have.

My biggest complaint is clearly the opinion of "experts" that EJ is a bust and can't possibly be a solid starting QB. While I can deal with those on this board who make it their Quixotic like obsession to beat down support for the guy, it is the media's group-think that I can't stand.

When I watched the "Roundtable" Channel 7 held before the Cleveland game, I couldn't help but hope EJ would prove those buttholes wrong, as they one-by-one smeared and dismissed EJ with what was absolute hyperbole regarding his performance in camp and his chances for starting.

I remember Tyler Dunne being especially dismissive, with an almost sneer when they asked him about EJ. And not surprisingly, the hyperbole continues from Dunne with this quote from his latest "article" today in the News:

"8. EJ Manuel can’t be trusted. Don’t be fooled by his preseason numbers (13 of 22 for 188 yards, two touchdowns). Manuel’s practice tape is littered with one incomplete pass into the hospitality tent, one that drilled a cameraman on the sideline and several fumbled snaps. Every 45-yard strike in stride is followed by two or three or four head-scratching throws, which is why Taylor and Cassel have been the quarterbacks getting virtually all of the No. 1 reps. Buffalo took a chance on Manuel at No. 16 overall two years ago. Maybe it was the perfect storm for all the wrong reasons – Kaepernick had just torched Green Bay for 444 total yards and four touchdowns, Robert Griffin III was the rookie of the year, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson were ripping through defenses by air and ground. Manuel seemed like a read-option threat and the Bills were dead-set on taking a quarterback. They simply took one in a horrendous draft class for the position.​"

What a biased bunch of trite blather. His practice tape is littered with TWO BAD THROWS? And I saw the one that went in the tent. It did not go in there on the fly! It was a bullet that bounced into the tent first of all. Second of all, it was not THAT off target. Finally, how does this idiot know whether that was EJ's fault or the receivers. It was thrown to a spot. It was to a third or fourth string receiver. And even if that was an off target throw, so WHAT? It just wasn't that off target. It was thrown hard and to a spot, and the receiver couldn't get there, or wasn't where he was supposed to be.

And no other QB has hit a cameraman or someone else on the sidelines with a pass????

The most egregious exaggeration was the "Every 45-yard strike in stride is followed by two or three or four head-scratching throws..." This is plain BS. I went to few practices and NEVER saw a good pass followed by 3 or 4 head-scratching throws. In fact, I did not see even ONE head-scratching throw follow a 45 yard strike.

This guy is way worse than Joe B with his hyperbole.

In the end, I will be behind whomever the staff chooses, and I will be behind whomever is playing QB at any time during the season. But I hope EJ if not against Indy, eventually emerges as a successful starter, either for us or some other team, just to shut Delta Bravos like Tyler Dunne the EFF up with their biased crappola.