Wayne Hunter signed

who the hell hunts Waynes anymore aren't they endangered or something?

slow moving targets rarely reproduce, and are low on the food chain having multiple predators.
i dont think its right to hunt them whatsoever. where is my congressman at a time like this?

9 years in the NFL. Started for the Jets in 2011. Out of football for a couple years. 34, almost 35, years old. Never particularly good.

Worked out for the Bills on June 17.

Don't get this signing.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I know what you all mean! That was a name that was tossed around... BUT i didnt think we would do that. I dont even know why its news. I just wanted to start a thread. Just kind of upset it had to be him.

Edited by Agent 91

9 years in the NFL. Started for the Jets in 2011. Out of football for a couple years. 34, almost 35, years old. Never particularly good.

Don't get this signing.

Played for the Jets? Shocking!

Rex says...

"I think he impressed some coaches with how athletic he is. He looks like he's in great shape. It'll be fun watching him compete."

"He's a guy that did a tremendous job for us early. I think in an ideal world, there's some players for whatever reason are better in multiple roles and being almost like a utility guy who can play guard, tackle, tight end. He can give you a lot of that versatility. Smart, athletic guy. That's why he's here."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19307/rex-ryan-expects-bills-to-sign-ot-wayne-hunter

Awesome Hunter highlight:

Edited by hondo in seattle

Don't get this signing.

vet OT depth for camp. Prior to this we had 2 OTs who have ever played in an nfl game.

I mentioned in another thread about Hunter that I was watching the nyj hard knocks and Rex really likes to have guys in TC who can both mentor young players and compete. He may never play, but there's a reason he's part of the 90.

Edited by YoloinOhio

vet OT depth for camp. Prior to this we had 2 OTs who have ever played in an nfl game.

I mentioned in another thread about Hunter that I was watching the nyj hard knocks and Rex really likes to have guys in TC who can both mentor young players and compete. He may never play, but there's a reason he's part of the 90.

I get needing depth, but an old guys who's been out of the league a couple years? This sounds more Rex than Doug. I have more faith in Whaley and I hope he's allowed to do his job as he sees fit. And not just on this signing.

Thanks Yolo. This could explain the signing.

I hope WHALEY felt this was the best option.

Thanks Yolo. This could explain the signing.

Yep, on that front I can buy it. (But it seems like there's a lot of that... what do they get for being camp fodder/mentors? Hope?) Edited by Augie

I hope WHALEY felt this was the best option.

Yeo, on that front I can buy it. (But it seems like there's a lot of that... what do they get for being camp fodder/mentors? Hope?)

hes literally the 90th guy on the roster. He showed up for the workout in shape to be able to compete - but that doesn't mean he will make the team. Otoh he knows what he's doing rather than another UDFA out of college. It's probably an attitude/approach/experience/film room addition more than anything. I Still do not understand why people have an issue with a HC signing camp bodies he is familiar with. It is the norm! I get people don't trust Rex on personnel... For some reason. But it's not like he went and signed any starters from the Jets other than Harvin who is a pseudo Jet.

It probably went something like this -

Whaley - we need a vet OT for camp. Vet min. Here is who is out there.

Rex - Hunter is a guy I think could be beneficial in camp

Whaley- OK

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex says...

"I think he impressed some coaches with how athletic he is. He looks like he's in great shape. It'll be fun watching him compete."

"He's a guy that did a tremendous job for us early. I think in an ideal world, there's some players for whatever reason are better in multiple roles and being almost like a utility guy who can play guard, tackle, tight end. He can give you a lot of that versatility. Smart, athletic guy. That's why he's here."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19307/rex-ryan-expects-bills-to-sign-ot-wayne-hunter

by reading this quote i hope Rex gets some good sleep in over the break.

TE?

honestly. if we stand back. Rex might well have brought a teacher in. Sure is competing for a job. but not really.

he is getting paid to help these very important rookies get up to speed.

Richardson Kujo Henderson and Miller et al.

if he make it he earned it, Rex is using his previous students to help the Team.

i may be waay off. but if true thats pretty smart.

like bringing Connor FB in. Incognito too when you think about it.

Whaley tried to bring in players that had been " there " and won. and or 1st round flops. he did that for Marrone.

Now he is getting Rexs guys. maybe to speed up the fairly complicated offenses and defenses he runs? its possible right?

God I hope this guy doesn't start or even make the team.

He's old, been out of football a couple years and was pretty terrible when he was in football. But he's Rex's homeboy. If you read Collision Low Crossers you would know Rex got a Hawaiian tattoo on his leg to convince Hunter to re-sign with NYJ

honestly. if we stand back. Rex might well have brought a teacher in. Sure is competing for a job. but not really.

he is getting paid to help these very important rookies get up to speed.

Richardson Kujo Henderson and Miller et al.

if he make it he earned it, Rex is using his previous students to help the Team.

i may be waay off. but if true thats pretty smart.

like bringing Connor FB in. Incognito too when you think about it.

Whaley tried to bring in players that had been " there " and won. and or 1st round flops. he did that for Marrone.

Now he is getting Rexs guys. maybe to speed up the fairly complicated offenses and defenses he runs? its possible right?

Hunter doesn't know the offense. Tough to be a teacher when you're trying to learn it yourself. If you mean technique, well that is Kromers job.

I see this as nothing more than Rex doing Hunters bank account a favor even if it means just for training camp

Edited by FluffHead

He's old, been out of football a couple years and was pretty terrible when he was in football. But he's Rex's homeboy. If you read Collision Low Crossers you would know Rex got a Hawaiian tattoo on his leg to convince Hunter to re-sign with NYJ

Hunter doesn't know the offense. Tough to be a teacher when you're trying to learn it yourself. If you mean technique, well that is Kromers job.

I see this as nothing more than Rex doing Hunters bank account a favor even if it means just for training camp

well we are polar opposites on this. I agree its a favor.

But thats is not its primary purpose at all. i think he is trying to improve the team.

you have reached conclusions. with definitive statements

i was only introducing possibility ? you don't seem very open minded considering your avatar : )

How much does a guy get just for sticking it out through training camp?

enough for beers. and chicken wings and blue cheese and celery.

so its enough to get off the couch for : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Guess were not putting in a 3rd or 4th round bid for that OT from Clemson in the supplemental draft?

I never thought that was very likely, but I doubt this would affect that decision.

Guess were not putting in a 3rd or 4th round bid for that OT from Clemson in the supplemental draft?

we might well have enough already. would you take away a pick from next year on such a Risk when it may well be unnecessary?

That's what gets me out of bed in the morning!

we understand each other perfectly.

who the hell hunts Waynes anymore aren't they endangered or something?

slow moving targets rarely reproduce, and are low on the food chain having multiple predators.

i dont think its right to hunt them whatsoever. where is my congressman at a time like this?

Well....he is a veteran

a hunter of Waynes with experience? That's creepy.

Guy is horrible.

Didn't the Bills absolutely dominate him previously? I vaguely remember him being a turnstile for Mario.

Didn't the Bills absolutely dominate him previously? I vaguely remember him being a turnstile for Mario.

OTs who are not dominated by Mario Williams are not available to be the 90th guy in your roster in June. He isn't good but most fringe guys rounding out a camp roster aren't good. I'm not defending the guy as if to say I love the signing, I just don't see it as a big deal. He's here for a reason, if he ever has to play is when I will be upset. But I'd be just as upset if UDFA Tyson chandler had to play and he is your other depth option. Edited by YoloinOhio

A player doesn't spend 9 years in the league because they are terrible. Everybody can't be elite. Or a star. He's an average NFL grinder. He stuck around, more than likely, for the reasons some on here are stating: he works hard, he can mentor young players on the field, in the classroom, and he will compete. He's been out of a ball for a couple years, yet, when he had an opportunity he showed up in shape and ready. There's a lot to be said for that. Same way Incognito was ready for his workout in the winter.

Bills are young along the o-line. Vets, at least for camp, are always helpful. And every team has similar players during camp. It's not tough for him to teach how to be prepared. He's also been in the league 9 years. He's probably familiar with most types of offenseive concepts and techniques. Many coaches use vets to help them with exactly that type of teaching. He's a worst case scenario that Rex and co. are comfortable with. If it wasn't him it would be another OT. Might as well be someone whose work ethic he knows.

It's not a big deal.

Edited by purple haze

Ranch anywhere near wings is sacrilege. I hope you agree. Ranch has it's place, but not near wings...

fact.

A player doesn't spend 9 years in the league because they are terrible. Everybody can't be elite. Or a star. He's an average NFL grinder. He stuck around, more than likely, for the reasons some on here are stating: he works hard, he can mentor young players on the field, in the classroom, and he will compete. He's been out of a ball for a couple years, yet, when he had an opportunity he showed up in shape and ready. There's a lot to be said for that. Same way Incognito was ready for his workout in the winter.

Bills are young along the o-line. Vets, at least for camp, are always helpful. And every team has similar players during camp. It's not tough for him to teach how to be prepared. He's also been in the league 9 years. He's probably familiar with most types of offenseive concepts and techniques. Many coaches use vets to help them with exactly that type of teaching. He's a worst case scenario that Rex and co. are comfortable with. If it wasn't him it would be another OT. Might as well be someone whose work ethic he knows.

It's not a big deal.

this post really sums up the situation for me. :thumbsup:

not many aren't : )

I'm not worried as has been stated he is good for camp, and if he makes the team, he beat out the likes of Richardson and Urbick. He won't start.

hes a tackle, so he's competing with UDFA Tyson Chandler to make the roster as the 4th guy.

Rex throwing a bone to another former Jet. for those that don't understand this signing, that's all you have to know about it

"this guy is terrible, why did we sign him? oh he used to play for the Jets..."

Rex says...

Remember when there was a 50-page thread where half the posts were people saying that Von Miller was too small to play in the NFL?