Wayne Hunter signed

It's probably an attitude/approach/experience/film room addition more than anything.

This in a nutshell.

There's a lot more to being a pro than being young, strong and mobile. In that sense, Hunter is just an on-the-field version of what Andre is doing with the WRs. He'll help mentor the young OL at training camp and then go back to 'real life' after the cutdown...

I get needing depth, but an old guys who's been out of the league a couple years? This sounds more Rex than Doug. I have more faith in Whaley and I hope he's allowed to do his job as he sees fit. And not just on this signing.

He is nothing more than camp fodder. Depth to get through camp, and a veteran presence for the younger guys.

Bigpappy

1. A veteran guy that Rex loves can show Seantrel Henderson that this is not 2014 and it is time to pull it together if he wants to play in this league.

2. As has been noted already, anyone who has read 'Collision Low Crossers' knows Rex loves Wayne Hunter. Who knows, the guy is an athlete and could offer the team something as a swing tackle.

3. On the negative side, (again, read the book) Rex's loyalty and even genuine love for his players has made him borderline sentimental in the past and can get his team in trouble.

Whaley still has control over the roster. If he thought it was a bad move to have this guy in camp or that there was a better vet OT available, he would have signed someone else. As it is, it makes sense that the pickings are slim and he's going on Rex's recommendation plus the pro scouting.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yolo's convinced me on this. Just like the final roster, the 90 man roster needs the right mix of youth/potential and age/experience.

Maybe Rex is repaying a debt a bit by giving Hunter a chance to restart his career. But he probably also sees Hunter as someone who'll have a positive influence on our young OL.

If Hunter makes the final cut, great. But more likely he'll be a good teammate during camp who ends up on the street.

While having a competitive squad during the season is the most important thing, having a good 90 man roster during camp matters too. Good "camp bodies" are better for the team than bad "camp bodies."

1. A veteran guy that Rex loves can show Seantrel Henderson that this is not 2014 and it is time to pull it together if he wants to play in this league.

2. As has been noted already, anyone who has read 'Collision Low Crossers' knows Rex loves Wayne Hunter. Who knows, the guy is an athlete and could offer the team something as a swing tackle.

3. On the negative side, (again, read the book) Rex's loyalty and even genuine love for his players has made him borderline sentimental in the past and can get his team in trouble.

#3 is a true statement but there's a flip side (no pun intended), of course. Love & loyalty from a coach motivates players to play harder and makes FAs less likely to seek greener pastures.

It's a tough balancing act.

"#3 is a true statement but there's a flip side (no pun intended), of course. Love & loyalty from a coach motivates players to play harder and makes FAs less likely to seek greener pastures.

It's a tough balancing act."

I am not worried about a street free agent that could mentor our O-line.

Overall, I think this quality has far more positives then negatives.

Edited by Flip Johnson

Much more concerned with this than Hunter's ability or lack thereof.

I read the book and it shines through. An example that comes to mind, Rex once used a draft pick on Mark Sanchez's childhood best friend for that reason alone. He was evaluated as an undraftable player and those in the organization were less than thrilled.

could be a camp body or perhaps Rex is giving him a chance to catch on with another team since he has been out of football for a few years...can't realistically see him making the team...

Ranch anywhere near wings is sacrilege. I hope you agree. Ranch has it's place, but not near wings...

My first trip to the Anchor Bar was in 1980, at the original Main street location. Yikes, where does the time go?! They served the biggest best wings I ever had...... and they served them with with ranch dressing! i was shocked. Not my first choice, but not sacrilege given it was the preferred dressing of the wing gods themselves.

My first trip to the Anchor Bar was in 1980, at the original Main street location. Yikes, where does the time go?! They served the biggest best wings I ever had...... and they served them with with ranch dressing! i was shocked. Not my first choice, but not sacrilege given it was the preferred dressing of the wing gods themselves.

What!!!

They should be taken out and flogged for that. Blue Cheese is the only way to go.

And its been a long time since they served the best winds in Buffalo....they are living on reputation now...

Interesting interview on the john Murphy show tonight. Not sure how to link it from mobile but it's on demand in wgr app.

Sounds like Rex wants him to possibly play the 6th lineman role in place of a TE on heavy sets. Roman has run a lot of extra O lineman formations and Hunter did this successfully with NYJ before he became a (terrible) starter

Edit: @JohnMurphyShow: Complete audio: Wayne Hunter: "I'm loving the Bills right now" http://t.co/3LIJtCbt1T

Edited by FluffHead

Interesting interview on the john Murphy show tonight. Not sure how to link it from mobile but it's on demand in wgr app.

Sounds like Rex wants him to possibly play the 6th lineman role in place of a TE on heavy sets. Roman has run a lot of extra O lineman formations and Hunter did this successfully with NYJ before he became a (terrible) starter

Edit: @JohnMurphyShow: Complete audio: Wayne Hunter: "I'm loving the Bills right now" http://t.co/3LIJtCbt1T

The Bills have a numbers problem on offense for a few reasons. The idea of the fourth OT being in place of a blocking or fourth TE, solves one of the problems. Especially because Hunter can play OG in a pinch. This way we can keep three TE, probably Clay, Gray and O'Leary, and then six WRS, including Easley as one, plus likely Goodwin and Hogan. Hunter may not be very good as a starter but he could provide some stopgap.