Eagles released Evan Mathis

They couldn't be really serious. Why wouldn't the eagles trade mathis for something and cut him? even if miami offered a 7th round pick I would assume that the eagles would jump for it rather than cut him. I doubt there was any team that wanted him with his contract. any team that wants him, wants him at a discount.

Because, well, Chip Kelly. 'Nuff said.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ever since DeSean Jackson, I've been saying that there's no middle ground here. Either Chip Kelly is really on to something, or he is really on his way out the door. It's one of the very few times where there's no relativity. It's rapidly approaching absolutes. He either wins big, or he loses big. It's interesting. It's certainly not safe.

And, Mathis rated #2 by PFF last year out of 78.

Dang, didn't realize he was this good, sign him now!

Cant believe Chip cut a white player, guy must be racist.

Wow, so next year gets tight with the Suh deal? Maybe they can work in an older guy for 2-3 years. Jets and Dolphins doing all they can to help challenge the Cheaters. Retire Brady (with encouragement from Dareus and Suh and the Jets DL) and let them be the bottom feeders of the AFC East for a decade or so. It's time.

Suh deal and Tannehill deal put them around the same number next year where they are now with 28 contracts set to expire (~20 - 25 mil after contracts expire left). They could probably do it but of those contracts left no one is over 3 million. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent as much on one player as they could on two to get a top guard.

They couldn't be really serious. Why wouldn't the eagles trade mathis for something and cut him? even if miami offered a 7th round pick I would assume that the eagles would jump for it rather than cut him. I doubt there was any team that wanted him with his contract. any team that wants him, wants him at a discount.

Someone on Philly radio made a point that the GM's on all of the other teams saw something similar last year: an excellent player coming off a great system who wasn't exactly thrilled with the new situation and wasn't buying all in.

Desean Jackson was cut for nothing but dead cap space. Chip had a precedent so there was little reason to take the contract as is and offer a draft pick.

Dang, didn't realize he was this good, sign him now!

Cant believe Chip cut a white player, guy must be racist.

Mathis is indeed a good player, just be careful with the PFF thing--he endorses the site (not sure if he's paid to do so), so it may not be coincidental that he's their all-time highest-rated OLmen.

The problem is Dareus. We have to keep him, and to get that deal done, we need money. We are $7 mil under the cap, so cutting Urbick and C. Williams would save an additional $3.5 mil. We usually need about $5 mil in emergency money for injurues, we would be very tight if we cut those two guys, and pay Mathis a decent contract with some guaranteed money.

We won't be able to resign Dareus though, and his number will only go up after another top year. we would have an impressive line if we signed him.

Go to this page and choose the drop down box "Cut post June 1st" and tell me what it our cap savings is and what our dead money will be

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-williams/2179/

What I'm saying is correct

Your going off of Pre June 1st release

I'm not going to argue anymore. What I wrote is correct. The Bills can push off the cap hit of two years' prorated signing bonuses until next offseason if they designate him as a post June 1st cut. The total cap hit is the same, however. It is either $2,625,000 in dead money with $725,000 cap savings if cut pre-June 1st or if post-June 1st it would be $875,000 in dead money and a $2,475,000 cap savings in 2015 plus a $1.75 cap hit and dead money in 2016. That cap hit just doesn't disappear and the Bills gain little by pushing it off because the're already set to be in a crunch next season (and because of carryover allowances). Edited by BarleyNY

3 yr/ $20 mil / $10 guaranteed.

worth every penny.

now, if only a QB could fall in our lap.

I'd do this in a heartbeat. Maybe structure it for a big payday in year three but balance the guaranteed money.

Whaley is good at cap management. If we really want to, Incognito has nothing guaranteed left (I think) and would be gone next year anyway.

I guess I'm not sure how much money you want to commit to a guy who is scheme-specific and turns 35 this year. If the Bills think he is a great fit for our scheme and worth the money that's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is not going to be the case

Unpopular opinion alert: is Mathis possibly getting overrated, Tyson Clabo style? I don't pretend to watch G play like some of you. I think he is a good player. I also think he became a "great" G playing next to Peters in a offense that completely tires out defenses for a great playcaller.

Next to receiver, G is the most dependent position in the NFL. The better the players are around them, the better they will look.

I'm all for them bringing him in if they like him. But he is after strictly money (don't fault him at all) and he might be overrated.

Unpopular opinion alert: is Mathis possibly getting overrated, Tyson Clabo style? I don't pretend to watch G play like some of you. I think he is a good player. I also think he became a "great" G playing next to Peters in a offense that completely tires out defenses for a great playcaller.

Next to receiver, G is the most dependent position in the NFL. The better the players are around them, the better they will look.

I'm all for them bringing him in if they like him. But he is after strictly money (don't fault him at all) and he might be overrated.

I found it interesting the Eagles had a better YPC when Mathis didn't play last year than when he did...