Eagles released Evan Mathis

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you say that? He is one of the fresher, brighter minds in a league filled with idiots.

Why would you say that? What has he done that is so different than anyone else?

Does anyone know if we can actually cut Chris Williams now considering that he is actually injured? Perhaps he's not officially injured so we could.

if he agrees to an injury settlement

Cutting Chris Williams frees up only $2.5 million with a dead cap hit of $875,000. Another $2.7 million could be found by cutting Freddie (highly doubtful, but who knows given the depth at RB). Same for Boobie ($1.1 million cap save, $166,666 dead cap).

If they're comfortable with the progress of Duke Williams, they could keep Graham at corner and trade McLuv'n ($3.9 million in cap space, $1 million in dead cap).

I'd like to see them take a run at Mathis but suspect he'd prefer Denver or even Miami, since he's a southern boy and Miami-based Drew Rosenhaus is his agent...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Chip-really-did-it-Mathis-released.html?mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=2&307039281=Y&pid=307039281&cid=8500281#poll_questions_top

Bottom line: we can't afford him

Not at all. Check our cap situation moving forward. Bills cant sign free agents unless you lose players.

(too soon on the RW joke?)

Don't we have $7mil in cap space this year? And, wouldn't the cutting of Williams add some more? And, couldn't we sign him to a one year deal? And isn't that about the best he could expect at his age?

I expect the Bills to sign Mathis. There was a rumor that Phily was trying to trade him to Buff during the draft, but then the Bills opted for Miller.

Now Mathis is available. He is the type of OG that Ryan needs. He is better than Incognito and Miller.

The Bills could cut OG C. Williams (making $3.35M) and sign Mathis to around $3.5M to $4M w/ guaranteed money.

New starting O-line: Glenn/Incognito/Wood/Mathis/Kouandjio OR Glenn/Incognito/Wood/Mathis/Henderson OR Glenn/Miller/Wood/Mathis/Kouandjio OR Glenn/Miller/Wood/Mathis/Henderson.

That's some big improvements to the O-line.

Watch for TE Vernon Davis to be cut as well. You just know that Roman will want to pick him up.

Cutting Chris Williams frees up only $2.5 million with a dead cap hit of $875,000. Another $2.7 million could be found by cutting Freddie (highly doubtful, but who knows given the depth at RB). Same for Boobie ($1.1 million cap save, $166,666 dead cap).

If they're comfortable with the progress of Duke Williams, they could keep Graham at corner and trade McLuv'n ($3.9 million in cap space, $1 million in dead cap).

I'd like to see them take a run at Mathis but suspect he'd prefer Denver or even Miami, since he's a southern boy and Miami-based Drew Rosenhaus is his agent...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Chip-really-did-it-Mathis-released.html?mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=2&307039281=Y&pid=307039281&cid=8500281#poll_questions_top

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-williams/2179/

Cutting Chris Williams only saves a very little bit of space this season. $725k would be the cap reduction. (Incidentally another player making $585k would move up into the top 51 and that money would be deducted from the cap space, netting $140k savings. That player would fall back out if another player like Mathis was signed.) His dead money would be $2.625M. Still, it would be worth it just to save space in 2016 and beyond. He's expensive dead weight.

Bottom line: we can't afford him

I keep reading this. He is a FA. He has no contract the Bills inherit. Structured properly, the Bills could afford him this year, and perhaps moving forward. Great teams (and GMs) make contacts like this happen.

Like $6-$7 milliion space. But a lot of big money players to sign. That can be carried over to next year.

Cutting chris williams gives them $9+ mil of total cap space

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-williams/2179/

Cutting Chris Williams only saves a very little bit of space this season. $725k would be the cap reduction. (Incidentally another player making $585k would move up into the top 51 and that money would be deducted from the cap space, netting $140k savings. That player would fall back out if another player like Mathis was signed.) His dead money would be $2.625M. Still, it would be worth it just to save space in 2016 and beyond. He's expensive dead weight.

Chris Williams cap hit after June 1st is $1.375. He is currently costing us $3.35, so cutting him will save us roughly $2 million. Your site overthecap says it saves us $2.475 million, but Spotrac.com says $1.98 mil

Edited by dezertbill

I keep reading this. He is a FA. He has no contract the Bills inherit. Structured properly, the Bills could afford him this year, and perhaps moving forward. Great teams (and GMs) make contacts like this happen.

He's worth more in the FA market than we can pay

Mathis wants to get paid and has had problems with his Achilles, no thanks

Correction: It was an MCL or ACL sprain not Achilles. I knew he was injured last year and read about Mathis recovering from Achilles but that was another Mathis

I'd still pass on Evan Mathis as he wanted a raise from the 3.5 mil he was scheduled to make so figure 4.5 at least maybe more.

Edited by Max997

Honestly I would be surprised if a team ponied up and paid him a big contract right out of the gate. Most teams are set in their roster and salary cap space, and barring injuries big contracts aren't usually awarded to high priced FA in June.

I think it might be a situation where he signs for a more reasonable price in order to pay. More GTD money and longer deal than what he had in Philly. I think Buffalo could be in that mix, and with their plans this season they should be.

It's certainly possible he will get more from another team than from the Bills. It's even more likely he will prefer to play for a team other than the Bills for other considerations (not discounting a big salary). But it would be foolish for the Bills not to pursue him, based on their salary cap situation. They really don't have a salary cap situation, at present. But if they can convince Mathis to come to Buffalo, they have the cash to pay him, if they are clever about it.

Mathis wants to get paid and has had problems with his Achilles, no thanks

Wrong Mathis.

Cutting chris williams gives them $9+ mil of total cap space

Chris Williams cap hit after June 1st is $1.375. He is currently costing us $3.35, so cutting him will save us roughly $2 million. Your site overthecap says it saves us $2.475 million, but Spotrac.com says $1.98 mil

You are mixing up the numbers. The first one is dead money, the second is cap space saved. (Just look at the prorated signing bonus numbers.) Even if they'd designate him as a June 1st cut then they just push off some of the signing bonus hit until next season. June 1st designated cuts are still accounted for as if the player is not cut until that date. It just removes risks associated with the team being on the hook for salary if the player gets injured, paying for work out bonuses, etc. - and it gets the player on the market sooner. Edited by BarleyNY

I think it's crazy to say the we can't afford him for a year. $7M should be more than enough for a guard in the later stages of his career. If someone wants to completely outbid us, fine, but we should at least kick the tires. Remember, the trade window has been open for a long time now. 5 million and a late draft pick was too rich for 31 teams.

On another note, as people have mentioned before: Chip the GM seems to be killing Chip the coach. He held all the leverage here. Mathis was opting out of voluntary practices, like Bruce Smith used to do. All he had to do to keep Pro Bowl talent was to suck it up, and wait until mandatory practices began.

@SalSports: Source: #Bills inquiring what Evan Mathis' expectations are before determining own level of interest. (meaning, money and roll)

They are kicking the tires or at least window shopping

Its funny because THIS IS THE GUY I WANTED....all offseason at OG

Edited by John from Hemet