Something to watch with regard to Marrone

Joeckel will be benched for some unknown reason for half of the season. The Jags' offensive line will regress but they will win more games because of a much improved defense.

Marrone and certain media members will give him all the credit for the Jags improvement. He will opt out of his contract; be talked about as a hot head coaching candidate; and will eventually settle for being assistant rbs coach at Alabama St. He will claim it is his dream job.

Joeckel will be benched for some unknown reason for half of the season. The Jags' offensive line will regress but they will win more games because of a much improved defense.

Marrone and certain media members will give him all the credit for the Jags improvement. He will opt out of his contract; be talked about as a hot head coaching candidate; and will eventually settle for being assistant rbs coach at Alabama St. He will claim it is his dream job.

can their OL actually "regress" any further into the abyss? 71 sacks allowed last year! And they actually do have some decent additions - Jermey Pernell, Stefen Wisniewski, AJ cann. Marrone will look like a Saint and replace Gus Bradley after 9 games.

can their OL actually "regress" any further into the abyss? 71 sacks allowed last year! And they actually do have some decent additions - Jermey Pernell, Stefen Wisniewski, AJ cann. Marrone will look like a Saint and replace Gus Bradley after 9 games.

They allowed 71 sacks last year? Obviously, I never pay attention to the Jags but that's amazingly bad. Marrone is going to look like a genius if they aren't God awful again. He's clever like a fox.

They allowed 71 sacks last year? Obviously, I never pay attention to the Jags but that's amazingly bad. Marrone is going to look like a genius if they aren't God awful again. He's clever like a fox.

yep, he set himself up well. Plus the expectations are always crazy low in Jax.

Don't forget also how much Marrone's OL will benefit from stellar QB play coached up by Hackett....

Why yes, yes they did. 55 of them were taken by rookie Blake Bortles. The question I can't answer, not having watched the Jags much myself, is how many of those 55 sacks had to do with QB decision making - holding onto the ball too long when he should throw it away, being indecisive? I'm guessing not many because Henne, who does know how to play NFL football as a career journeyman, had even more sacks per game than Bortles did.

As an aside, the Jags are Exhibit A of why people here (and alleged professional sportswriters) who tag us as having the worst QB situation in the NFL, simply aren't paying attention. Does anyone seriously want to make the argument that Manuel-Cassel-Taylor are a worse situation than Bortles-Henne-Morris (or whomever else they bring in)? Or Manziel-McCown-Shaw (Browns)? How about Hoyer-Mallet-Savage or Keenum (Texans)? There are teams with elite QB, teams with proven NFL starters, and then there's the other half of the league.

Jokes aside, my understanding is that Marrone is a well regarded o-line coach by people like Sean Payton and Bill Parcells.

Well, he definitely contributed to terrible o-line play and horrible offense last year; jokes and opinions aside.

Lol love it

Jokes aside, my understanding is that Marrone is a well regarded o-line coach by people like Sean Payton and Bill Parcells.

Yeah, just look at the great job he did with the Bills OL while he was here.

It may seem like there's only one direction to go, but I learned long ago that the expression "it can't get any worse" is a fallacy. It can ALWAYS get worse.

How to coach olinemen in the NFL

By Douglas Marrone

1) take a well-regarded player and move him out of his natural position

2) utilize a blocking scheme that is contrary to the linemen you have

3) beach experienced vets who do not buy into the philosophy

4) collect 4 mill to go away

Marrone also knows that Gus Bradley is a prime candidate to get canned mid-season and who on the coaching staff has HC experience and would be an obvious choice for interim HC and maybe a shot at sticking long-term if it goes at least OK?

And how delicious if Hackett gets promoted over Marrone?

(of course this cant happen since, if Bradley gets fired mid-stream it will most likely be due to perception/reality of awful QB play)

How to coach olinemen in the NFL

By Douglas Marrone

1) take a well-regarded player and move him out of his natural position

2) utilize a blocking scheme that is contrary to the linemen you have

3) beach experienced vets who do not buy into the philosophy

What could go wrong?

many of us thought that to be a truism. many of us no longer think that.

Marrone also knows that Gus Bradley is a prime candidate to get canned mid-season and who on the coaching staff has HC experience and would be an obvious choice for interim HC and maybe a shot at sticking long-term if it goes at least OK?

Like a fox this man is. frightening actually. we discussed this months ago , and i think we should keep an eye on this.

BTW i never disliked Nate. I think he still has a chance for success, in a better environment of course ! Its a small world , the NFL coaching realm. Nate is now IN.

thats a good thing for him. His association with Douger, not so much.

Marrone's first step will be to figure out how old Joeckel really is, because apparently it's a mystery.

Jokes aside, my understanding is that Bill Walsh thought Trentative Checkwards would be a heluva NFL QB.

Marrone's first step will be to figure out how old Joeckel really is, because apparently it's a mystery.

Jokes aside, my understanding is that Bill Walsh thought Trentative Checkwards would be a heluva NFL QB.

Maybe he would've been if Bill Walsh had been his coach instead of Dick Jauron.

There is no question that Luke Joeckel is talented. He has underperformed, however. I'll be curious to see how our former coach does with him. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/20/jaguars-wont-call-it-a-make-or-break-year-for-luke-joeckel/

I won't be. Marrone is so far in the rear view mirror i'd need a telescope attachment to see him

I won't be. Marrone is so far in the rear view mirror i'd need a telescope attachment to see him

Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe if he was a coordinator, I might be mildly interested when the Bills played them, or they were tearing up the league, but looking forward to analyzing his development of position players on some crap team? Have fun.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe if he was a coordinator, I might be mildly interested when the Bills played them, or they were tearing up the league, but looking forward to analyzing his development of position players on some crap team? Have fun.

I'm a fan of the league overall and follow other teams besides the Bills. I'll be curious to see what happens with him over time. I thought he was on OK coach here (great nose for DCs, which is very important) but obviously his departure was a mess and reflected poorly on him.

I'm a fan of the league overall and follow other teams besides the Bills. I'll be curious to see what happens with him over time. I thought he was on OK coach here (great nose for DCs, which is very important) but obviously his departure was a mess and reflected poorly on him.

Dave, his best quality was picking DCs (though our defensive talent was extremely high to begin with, that only a guy like Wanny could screw it up). Think about that. He is a coach with an offensive background and that was the worst part of our team. Our oline severely regressed under him.

We won because have a top 5 STs and D. Marrone was good at picking an assistant coaches, not actually coaching himself.

Dave, his best quality was picking DCs (though our defensive talent was extremely high to begin with, that only a guy like Wanny could screw it up). Think about that. He is a coach with an offensive background and that was the worst part of our team. Our oline severely regressed under him.

We won because have a top 5 STs and D. Marrone was good at picking an assistant coaches, not actually coaching himself.

imo marrone was able to motivate the guys and get them to play hard. He really played up the "underdog" mentality with them, I think. That mental part is an important function of a HC. Where he failed as an HC was the X's and O's on offense, personnel decisions on gameday, and the game management. Edited by YoloinOhio

As I've said many times before, I think people on this board underrate staff building by coaches. I think it's possibly the most important skill for a coach. It's why I think that I'll always place Parcells above Belichick, as great as BB is. Parcells not only hired BB and promoted him over the years, Coughlin was also a protege. Between the three of them, there are 8 SB victories, 11 SB appearances, and god knows how many playoff appearances.

As for Marrone, he inherited a team with a terribly performing D and managed to hire two excellent DCs in successive seasons. It's not that easy to do. A lot of coaches end up with George Edwards types. Marrone was hardly a perfect coach. I'm just saying he was OK. The team was better after he left them than before he arrived despite the continuation of the QB problem.

imo marrone was able to motivate the guys and get them to play hard. He really played up the "underdog" mentality with them, I think. That mental part is an important function of a HC. Where he failed as an HC was the X's and O's on offense, personnel decisions on gameday, and the game management.

I think that's right. I don't think his game management was all that horrible, actually. The offensive planning wasn't that good, of course, but there were some personnel issues too. I didn't understand his "hardass" style approach to personnel decisions, which backfired on occasion.

Edited by dave mcbride

The opinions on this thread are forgetting how bad Marrone was. Too soon!!

He was terrible and had no redeeming qualities!!

If he was so terrible, why did the Bills have their first winning season in a decade? I realize people don't like him, and he's not a great coach. But saying he's terrible is an emotional reaction, not an analytical one.

Marrone got them to play hard, but let's not forget he had a boatload of talent. You could argue either way regarding over-achieving (winning record) or under-achieving (was that an NFL offense?). I say under, because I watched that offense and I'll credit the talent and DC's for the wins. That's not to say he can't grow and succeed down the road.

If he was so terrible, why did the Bills have their first winning season in a decade? I realize people don't like him, and he's not a great coach. But saying he's terrible is an emotional reaction, not an analytical one.

Good question. I hear crickets.......

Marrone didn't have the stones to get rid of his non performing coaches (Hackett and others) At least Rex has brought in some talent we needed, and I liked a lot that he kept holdovers from the prior regime. I have to admit though, I knew when he was hired that Schwartz was gone......the BEST ASST coach we had in a long time. (yep, better than Pettine, look at the results) There were other ways to play the HC game.....and Rex hasn't convinced me yet. A great news generator does not a great coach make. I personally don't like the act he puts on.....looking for go, not show. We will see.