Deflate-gate investigation complete

My guess is there is more to come on this matter. Perhaps then we'll find out some answers to your questions.

You wrote:

I actually have my suspicions that the investigation was conducted fairly and in an objective way. Not that that matters as the league got what they wanted in all of this.

Could you explain how "the league got what they wanted in all of this"? Again, I'm having trouble understanding how a report that concludes that Brady cheated benefits the league or "gives the league what they wanted."

Edited by Go Kiko go

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that he gets suspended for 4 games. Maybe 8, but I think 4 is likely given the Browns and Falcons cases. People can raise 2007 all they want, but Brady wasn't found culpable for that - Belichik and the organization were. As far the league is concerned, he has a clean record up until now.

And that's where the Pats really get away with something. Belichick took the fall for Spygate; Brady takes the fall here. Anyone who believes they weren't both in on (or at least culpably aware) of both of them is seriously delusional. But because there's no second strike for either of them, the penalty isn't as great in this case as it really should be.

You wrote:

Could you explain how "the league got what they wanted in all of this"? Again, I'm having trouble understanding how a report that concludes that Brady cheated benefits the league or "gives the league what they wanted."

after he had his press conferences, its possible he upset them enough to feel vindictive. not saying its the case, but possible. i think a small part of the sean payton fiasco was him upsetting the league on other stuff prior, and them flexing muscle back at him. that was a super bowl winning coach and one of the leagues best TV draws.

I didn't want to wade thru 43 pages to see if this has been said already. I listen to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan all the time. They give pretty good knowledgeable opinions, their take on this is that it is a non issue. Every QB sets the inflation amount prior to game within league guidelines. Cold rainy weather would have caused the balls to lose some inflation. Brady's psi is 12.5, Lucks is higher like 13 if I remember right. The balls sit outside during the game. They would have deflated some by halftime. Even the Colts had 4 balls under inflated. Nothing to see here, move along.

I didn't want to wade thru 43 pages to see if this has been said already. I listen to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan all the time. They give pretty good knowledgeable opinions, their take on this is that it is a non issue. Every QB sets the inflation amount prior to game within league guidelines. Cold rainy weather would have caused the balls to lose some inflation. Brady's psi is 12.5, Lucks is higher like 13 if I remember right. The balls sit outside during the game. They would have deflated some by halftime. Even the Colts had 4 balls under inflated. Nothing to see here, move along.

So they don't believe science either?

I love listening to them

But miller is a jock holder when it comes to the pats and Brady

Pretty sure he was a backup when they won the sb

He won't spill **** on them only tarnishes his own ring

Ya double checked

received a Super Bowl ring as the backup quarterback for the 2004 New England Patriots.

Yeah, but that ruins the fun.

It's way more comforting to believe that the Patriots only win because they are constant cheaters, illegally creating big advantages, than to accept that the Bills have sucked due to their own incompetence for so long.

The heavy handed "go on the offensive" tact of both Kraft and Brady's agent reinforce his guilt imo. There's no reason at all to believe the league had it in for Brady and the pats. Thats just silly. Theyve been caught red handed and rather than own up to it, they're going the Bill O'Reilly route when he was caught red handed lying about his journalistic experiences multiple times

It's way more comforting to believe that the Patriots only win because they are constant cheaters, illegally creating big advantages, than to accept that the Bills have sucked due to their own incompetence for so long.

What will your reaction be if Brady is suspended? Most people believe that he will be suspended (even if it's just for a few games). It seems like that will really piss you off.

From a legal standpoint the evidence doesn't meet the standard. It's not solid enough. If this case was examined by a supervising prosocutor who made the determination to formally procede with this case based on the evidence (very much of which is qualified) I'm very confident that it would not go any farther. The standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is more rigorous than what a reasonable person could conclude.

The standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is based exactly on what a "reasonable person" would conclude based on the evidence.

This investigation is not nearly as in-depth as a criminal investigation would be, and commenting on how solid the evidence is from a criminal prosecution perspective is pointless.

From the report:

"As a result of exposure to the colder temperature on the field during the first half, the air pressure of all of the game balls tested at halftime decreased from the levels measured prior to the game. This result is consistent with basic scientific principles, including the Ideal Gas Law, which predicts the proportional change in pressure that is caused by a change in temperature of the gas inside a pressure vessel of fixed volume (such as a football). According to Exponent [one of the leading scientific and engineering consulting firms in the country], based on the most likely pressure and temperature values for the Patriots game balls on the day of the AFC Championship Game (i.e., a starting pressure of 12.5 psi, a starting temperature of between 67 and 71 degrees and a final temperature of 48 degrees), the Ideal Gas Law predicts that the Patriots balls should have measured between 11.52 and 11.32 psi at the end of the first half, just before they were brought back into the Officials Locker Room.

Most of the individual Patriots measurements recorded at halftime, however, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. Indeed, once Exponent converted the game day measurements recorded for each gauge into a corresponding “Master Gauge” pressure (in order to provide for a direct comparison with the results predicted by the calculations), the measurements for all but three of the Patriots game balls, as measured by both gauges, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. As a result, Exponent concluded that application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements."

Edited by Go Kiko go

You wrote:

Not my explanation but Brady's agent/lawyer

"One item alone taints this entire report. What does it say about the league office’s protocols and ethics when it allows one team to tip it off to an issue prior to a championship game, and no league officials or game officials notified the Patriots of the same issue prior to the game? This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation. The Wells report buries this issue in a footnote on page 46 without any further elaboration."

"One item alone taints this entire report. What does it say about the league offices protocols and ethics when it allows one team to tip it off to an issue prior to a championship game, and no league officials or game officials notified the Patriots of the same issue prior to the game? This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation. The Wells report buries this issue in a footnote on page 46 without any further elaboration."

The league also caught the browns and falcons breaking the rules but it's apparently OK to punish them according to his lawyer.

"One item alone taints this entire report. What does it say about the league offices protocols and ethics when it allows one team to tip it off to an issue prior to a championship game, and no league officials or game officials notified the Patriots of the same issue prior to the game? This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation. The Wells report buries this issue in a footnote on page 46 without any further elaboration."

Why notify them in advance of when they're being observed? Clearly they won't do it in those instances. It'd be like the police telling a suspected burglar which buildings are under surveillance so he'll know to avoid them Edited by JTSP

"One item alone taints this entire report. What does it say about the league office’s protocols and ethics when it allows one team to tip it off to an issue prior to a championship game, and no league officials or game officials notified the Patriots of the same issue prior to the game? This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation. The Wells report buries this issue in a footnote on page 46 without any further elaboration."

So, the league allowed them to cheat and caught them red handed in what amounted to a "sting" operation? Even if that were the case, how exactly does that diminish the fact that Brady, Jastremski, and McNally were involved in violating league rules to gain an unfair competitive edge?

Maybe what the league "wanted" was to check the balls during the game and find that they were well within what the league rules allow and, therefore, could say, "Look, we acted on information provided and found no evidence the Patriots were violating league rules."

Edited by billsfan1959

From the report:

"As a result of exposure to the colder temperature on the field during the first half, the air pressure of all of the game balls tested at halftime decreased from the levels measured prior to the game. This result is consistent with basic scientific principles, including the Ideal Gas Law, which predicts the proportional change in pressure that is caused by a change in temperature of the gas inside a pressure vessel of fixed volume (such as a football). According to Exponent [one of the leading scientific and engineering consulting firms in the country], based on the most likely pressure and temperature values for the Patriots game balls on the day of the AFC Championship Game (i.e., a starting pressure of 12.5 psi, a starting temperature of between 67 and 71 degrees and a final temperature of 48 degrees), the Ideal Gas Law predicts that the Patriots balls should have measured between 11.52 and 11.32 psi at the end of the first half, just before they were brought back into the Officials Locker Room.

Most of the individual Patriots measurements recorded at halftime, however, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. Indeed, once Exponent converted the game day measurements recorded for each gauge into a corresponding “Master Gauge” pressure (in order to provide for a direct comparison with the results predicted by the calculations), the measurements for all but three of the Patriots game balls, as measured by both gauges, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. As a result, Exponent concluded that application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements."

But, are these points not entirely meaningless because there is a question on the validity of the starting PSI's due to referee incompetence?

Why notify them in advance of when they're being observed? Clearly they won't do it in those instances. It'd be like the police telling a suspected burglar which buildings are under surveillance so he'll know to avoid them

I have no comment on the process; I was simply offering up an answer to a query as to why the league got what they wanted.

Did you read note 25 on page 46? The report concluded that "prior to the game, there was no plan to check the air pressure of the balls at

halftime or any other time during the game. There was no 'sting' operation, no plan for a 'sting' operation and no discussion of a 'sting' operation."

Even if you don't want to believe the report's conclusion, you believe that this "sting" angle indicates that the league was acting with the purpose of having Brady publicly denounced as a cheater? You stated that the league "got what they wanted" when the report concluded that Brady was aware of rule violations, and you're pointing to this characterization of the league's actions as a "sting" as an indication that the league wanted the report to conclude that Brady cheated, correct?

So, in other words, the story would go something like this: the Colts tipped off the league that the Patriots may be violating a rule, the league decided that they wanted to (again, for reasons that have not been articulated) have Brady publicly denounced as a cheater, so they did not inform the Patriots of the Colts's unfounded suspicions that they may be deflating footballs, instead hoping that the Patriots in fact were deflating footballs and that they would be able to catch them in the act, and then be able to publicly demonstrate that Brady was a cheater. Thus, when the report concluded that Brady was aware of rule violations, the league "got what they wanted." Is that correct?

Edited by Go Kiko go

But, are these points not entirely meaningless because there is a question on the validity of the starting PSI's due to referee incompetence?

They measured the balls before the game and were within limits. Even if they are incompetent they are still measuring below NFL regulation not including environmental factors.

They proved afterwards that the environmental factors should have had less of an affect on the ball than there was.

So, the league allowed them to cheat and caught them red handed in what amounted to a "sting" operation? Even if that were the case, how exactly does that diminish the fact that Brady, Jastremski, and McNally were involved in violating league rules to gain an unfair competitive edge?

Maybe what the league "wanted" was to check the balls during the game and find that they were well within what the league rules allow and, therefore, could say, "Look, we acted on information provided and found no evidence the Patriots were violating league rules."

Playing along with the conspiracy theory .... If the league wanted to catch them in the act then it also would make sense that they would follow this up with a result-oriented work done by an advocate of the league.

Did you read note 25 on page 46? The report concluded that "prior to the game, there was no plan to check the air pressure of the balls at

halftime or any other time during the game. There was no 'sting' operation, no plan for a 'sting' operation and no discussion of a 'sting' operation."

Even if you don't want to believe the report's conclusion, you believe that this "sting" angle indicates that the league was acting with the purpose of having Brady publicly denounced as a cheater? You stated that the league "got what they wanted" when the report concluded that Brady was aware of rule violations, and you're pointing to this characterization of the league's actions as a "sting" as an indication that the league wanted the report to conclude that Brady cheated, correct?

So, in other words, the story would go something like this: the Colts tipped off the league that the Patriots may be violating a rule, the league decided that they wanted to (again, for reasons that have not been articulated) have Brady publicly denounced as a cheater, so they did not inform the Patriots of the Colts's unfounded suspicions that they may be deflating footballs, instead hoping that the Patriots in fact were deflating footballs and that they would be able to catch them in the act, and then be able to publicly demonstrate that Brady was a cheater. Thus, when the report concluded that Brady was aware of rule violations, the league "got what they wanted." Is that correct?

Remember, these are Yee's words not mine.

As far as I what I believe. His opinion has equal weight to the opinions offered in Wells' report.

Playing along with the conspiracy theory .... If the league wanted to catch them in the act then it also would make sense that they would follow this up with a result-oriented work done by an advocate of the league.

As far as I what I believe. His opinion has equal weight to the opinions offered in Wells' report.

Brady's hired agents' and representatives' excuses have equal weight to the findings of an independent investigation into alleged wrongdoing?

:lol: You're a sucker.

To which referee incompetence are you referring?

That they were only capable of measuring 4 of the Colts balls.

Brady's hired agents' and representatives' excuses have equal weight to the findings of an independent investigation into alleged wrongdoing?

:lol: You're a sucker.

The point of his lawyer is it wasn't an independent study

The point of his lawyer is it wasn't an independent study

What would be the league's motive in tarnishing the reputation of its most high profile team and most marketable player?

What would be the league's motive in tarnishing the reputation of its most high profile team and most marketable player?

There is none. That's what is so amazing about this whole thing.

What's more is Brady didn't have to do this. He's one of the best ever. Why even bother? It's sad really

There is none. That's what is so amazing about this whole thing.

What's more is Brady didn't have to do this. He's one of the best ever. Why even bother? It's sad really

Honestly I can see why to an athlete its not a big deal. They try to cut corners all the time. He feels he wants to tweak them to where he wants, and the league's not going to dictate where that is. But the reality is that he got caught and he lied.

The most interesting thing will be Bradys actual statement.

Will he toe the party line of Kraft and his lawyer and attack the accuser?

Or the opposite and issue a full apology?

My bet he'll try to find somewhere in the middle. Say he told the guys to let some air out, but only because he thought they felt a little over inflated. That he never intended to circumvent the rule. Only trying to get them to where they felt right. And the little perks he gave the guys weren't for helping him break any rules, but only to reward them when they got them to the levels he felt most comfortable with. "I know now i should have been a lot more careful. And mostly I want to say how sorry I am that my actions have in any way reflected poorly on Mr. Kraft, Coach Bellicheck, and the Patriots organization as a whole. They deserve a lot better from me. As do the our fans, the greatest in the world. From this point I can only try my utmost best to learn from this, and become a better person as a result".

Edited by JTSP

The most interesting thing will be Bradys actual statement.

Will he toe the party line of Kraft and his lawyer and attack the accuser?

Or the opposite and issue a full apology?

My bet he'll try to find somewhere in the middle. Say he told the guys to let some air out, but only because he thought they felt a little over inflated. That he never intended to circumvent the rule. Only trying to get them to where they felt right. And the little perks he gave the guys weren't for helping him break any rules, but only to reward him when they got them to the levels he felt most comfortable with. "And mostly I want to say how sorry I am that my actions have in any way have reflected poorly on Mr. Kraft, Coach Bellicheck, and the Patriots organization as a whole. They deserve a lot better from me. As do the our fans, the greatest in the world. From this point I can only try my utmost best to learn from this, and become a better person as a result".

I think you're right, but this just keeps getting worse. I'm thinking four game suspension no matter what he does.

The standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is based exactly on what a "reasonable person" would conclude based on the evidence.

This investigation is not nearly as in-depth as a criminal investigation would be, and commenting on how solid the evidence is from a criminal prosecution perspective is pointless.

Haha could you imagine if you had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to an unreasonable person!!!

There has been so many wrong things said about legal standards it's incredible. Mind hurts

IMO, Brady and Belichek should be suspended for a year. This hasn't been the first time they were caught cheating. While everyone wants to focus on just the AFC Championship game, I feel the Patriots would not have beaten the Ravens to even make it to the AFC Championship if they weren't using deflated footballs and using questionable tactics with ineligable receivers. The Ravens suspected the Patriots were using deflated footballs when they intercepted a Brady pass and tipped off the Colts to it. Bottom line, if the league does not come down hard on the Patriots for cheating for a second time, then their credibility will suffer even more especially with the handling of domestic abuse last year.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Explain then why McNally took a detour to a bathroom for 90 seconds, using a non-existent urinal (in other words he clearly lied about the purpose of his ducking into that room). Also, teams DO NOT typically make adjustments once the balls have been cleared by the referees. That is verboten. Explain why the change in pressure for the Pats' balls were materially greater than the change in pressure for the Colts' balls, and can not be accounted for by the weather. Anyone not interested in giving TB a handjob knows there was tampering with the Pats' balls.

How is that relevant to the question of whether weather conditions, alone, could have caused the drop in pressure? I was responding to the post by Fan in San Diego, where he stated that:

"Cold rainy weather would have caused the balls to lose some inflation. Brady's psi is 12.5, Lucks is higher like 13 if I remember right. The balls sit outside during the game. They would have deflated some by halftime."

The number of Colts footballs that were measured has nothing to do with the question of whether weather conditions could have caused the Patriots footballs to drop from 12.5 PSI to the air pressures measured at half time. The report concluded that "application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements."They could have measured zero Colts footballs and still reached this conclusion. It's just a question of physics, not a comparison of the Patriots footballs to the Colts footballs. Do you disagree?

Edited by Go Kiko go

This was linked on a link someone else posted (and maybe already posted here anyways)

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-wells-report-may-have-uncovered-the-tip-of-the-iceberg

Another great read.

It's a crappy analysis, though. Developed by someone who thinks they know what statistical analysis is, but obviously doesn't.

Still, I like it...anything to get our resident Pats fans' panties in a bunch. :devil: I love the desperation oozing out of this thread.

Honestly I can see why to an athlete its not a big deal. They try to cut corners all the time. He feels he wants to tweak them to where he wants, and the league's not going to dictate where that is. But the reality is that he got caught and he lied.

In other words "They're my balls, and nobody's going to tell me how to play with them!"

Your words were that "the league got what they wanted in all of this." I'm asking how you concluded that the league wanted the report to conclude that Brady cheated. Do you believe that the league engaged in a sting operation hoping to catch Brady cheating and publicly reveal him as a cheater, or is there some other reason you believe that the league wanted this result?

Edited by Go Kiko go