Deflate-gate investigation complete

I have to think that, if anything happens, it'll be over the cover up rather than the crime. If Brady had kept quiet and let the investigation play out there wouldn't be so much hubbub. Instead, he straight up denied it, and lied to Beli about it.

Belicheck backed his QB and Kraft demanded an apology.

Is it Christmas?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offense isn't that bad. The cover up and lying is what is going to get them into trouble. In terms of "institutional control" the comp is definitely bountygate. What happens on your watch is what you are responsible for. The punishment probably won't be as severe because the crime wasn't as severe.

The comp for Brady is probably Anthony Hargrove. One of the weird things that Goodell factored in during Bountygate was "player's that held leadership positions within the Saints." That doesn't bode well for Brady. It is not necessary going to be right in line with Bountygate but the same criteria that created those penalties has to apply in the same manner here. If they were important factors in that case they remain important factors in this one.

Here is a quick little reminder on bountygate:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jonathan-vilma-scott-fujita-anthony-hargrove-will-smith-suspended-in-new-orleans-saints-bounty-scandal-050212

There's also the repeat offender angle to consider.

Some in the media and general public will say there is no smoking gun listed in the Wells report. The report uses a lot of speculation and generality. Tom Brady refused to hand over his cell phone and other communication (perhaps email records). Hmmm, why wouldn't you hand them over if you're not hiding something??? This to me is the most crucial piece in the entire report and I feel like people aren't making a bigger deal about this. How much you want to bet Tom is keeping evidence that would 100% implicate him. The Patriots also refused the NFL a second interview with the locker room attendant when they had some important follow up questions to ask him. The Patriots have stated several times "We are cooperating fully with the investigation".

If I'm Troy Vincent, I'm looking at the lack of cooperation by the Patriots as well as Brady's refusal to hand over what should be deemed as the crucial evidence which most likely shows he lied about everything. The NFL needs to come down hard on them not only for intentionally breaking the rules, but set a precedent as well for what happens when you don't cooperate with an investigation and hide info. They should also take into effect the history of this team and cheating.

-Brady should be suspended for a minimum of 1 year and a hefty fine.

-The Patriots organization should have 2016 draft picks taken away and fined for the simple fact that they refused the NFL a 2nd interview with the locker room guy.

-As for Belichick, I find it hard to believe this guy doesn't know EVERYTHING that goes on behind closed doors in that building. If it were any other coach, I'd say he probably didn't know (as it's not common for a coach to be involved in ball pressure) but we all know Belichich is a different bird. Regardless, because there's no proof of his knowledge, I don't think you can hand down any punishment to him.

Thoughts?

If my employer is accusing me of something I didn't do and it might cost me my job? I might go with it... I wouldn't necessarily be happy, but I mean, I need a job.

Tom, on the other hand, doesn't face the same consequences. At worst he's fined and loses his job, but is still sitting on millions, whereas, I am not. Good point(s) NS.

ill totally agree with your take. i might but i also might have some stuff i really would regret sending. that time i complained about my boss for instance.

or if you are tommy, maybe you have a girl on the road, or illicit texts with the wife, or are in group texts with stuff that would kill all your endorsements if it leaks.

i wont fault him AT ALL for saying no to turning over his phone. but ill be the first to say hes an idiot to have gone so far out of his way to do press conferences on it if he left a big trail like he seems to have.

Brady should be suspended for a year, like Sean Payton was.

One year suspension seems appropriate to me also.

The right punishment should have been to conclude the investigation prior to the Superbowl and suspend him from the Superbowl. Then punish the team in this year's draft.

The NFL effed up. The punishment should be much more severe than just a few game suspension. That gives him a chance to still potentially play in another Superbowl right away.

With the Patriots history of cheating taken into consideration, anything less than a full year suspension from the league is a joke (in my opinion). How long has this ball deflation been going on anyway...

Because it's not that serious of a transgression. How many times does it need to be stated that I feel that way?

I don't believe in the death penalty for running a red light, either (even if you tell the cop and judge "I didn't do it").... I know, my morals are loose.

Again, a poor display of trying to make a ridiculous point. Brady cheated and lied. You don't think that's a big deal, while most of us do.

What Brady did falls into the same category as what Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and A-Rod have done. They all cheated to give themselves an advantage others don't have. It's just that Brady didn't inject himself, he injected the equipment. The legacies of those other names are permanently tainted, and so should Brady's. And he should face a significant punishment.

That certainly has to play a part.

the repeat offender angle is an interesting one too. brady, and BB are probably about the only people left and brady wasnt really "in" on the previous incident. But in organizational fines, id imagine it counts for something with it being the same head coach.

I think they should banish the franchise, erase them from the record books, and award championships to the teams they beat.

I mean, cheating is cheating, right? There are no degrees of "wrong". The death penalty for all felonies, I say!

see above.

Really, "do it for the children"? :lol:

You're intentionally inflating the scenario to make a point that doesn't exist in the mind of anyone except those who feel the need to portray themselves as the only smart person in the room.

I see why people bust your chops here. It's like dealing with gatorman at PPP except PPP tolerates the bitchslapping. I'll leave this chatter to as avoid poisoning the thread.

There's also the repeat offender angle to consider.

Spygate. The QB helmet thing. This. Were there others?

It wasn't his fault but the Tuck rule controversy was Brady. The rule change this year deceiving the other team was indirectly Brady as he was calling signals. Those two surely don't fit with the others but the league is probably sick of this.

a bad look in the sense that it makes him look like he has something to hide by refusing. It's his right not to give it to them, but perception is not good. The conclusion was not "conclusive." So everyone wonders - what's on the phone, Tom?

The drums are starting to beat louder in NFL cities around country....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/06/tom-brady-lied-only-the-consequences-are-open-to-debate/

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2015/05/tom_brady_deflategate_new_engl.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article20364276.html

Spygate. The QB helmet thing. This. Were there others?

It wasn't his fault but the Tuck rule controversy was Brady. The rule change this year deceiving the other team was indirectly Brady as he was calling signals. Those two surely don't fit with the others but the league is probably sick of this.

I think he's guilty, but this isn't an open-and-shut case - there is no equivalent of the recording of Gregg Williams advocating the maiming of opponents. And bear in mind that Jonathan Vilma was able to really got back at the league. I think Brady should get at least an 8-game suspension, but the evidence on Brady -- hilarious as it is -- isn't as strong as I would like.

I think he's guilty, but this isn't an open-and-shut case - there is no equivalent of the recording of Gregg Williams advocating the maiming of opponents. And bear in mind that Jonathan Vilma was able to really got back at the league. I think Brady should get at least an 8-game suspension, but the evidence on Brady -- hilarious as it is -- isn't as strong as I would like.

hargrove got 8(?) for a recording that they THOUGHT was him saying something on the sidelines but wasnt, and being uncooperative with the investigation. I thought it was a terrible precedent to set at the time, but it might be what they have to work with now.

hargrove got 8(?) for a recording that they THOUGHT was him saying something on the sidelines but wasnt, and being uncooperative with the investigation. I thought it was a terrible precedent to set at the time, but it might be what they have to work with now.

Yes, but they have no comments from Brady - no texts, nothing. Just a lot of damning circumstantial evidence that probably wouldn't stand up in a court of law (plus evidence that one of the parties involved really doesn't like Tommy and may have motivation to take him down).