Ralph Wilson died one year ago today

Honestly, Ralph's death was the saddest I've ever been for a death of someone I never met. The impact he's had on mine, and so many other's lives can't even be expressed. He made a lot of decision's that we didn't like. "Ralph is cheap" was a common rally cry around here. But when he passed, and we saw what he did for the community. Not only doing everything in his power to make sure the team stays in the Buffalo area after he passed, but all the community work he's done, made us realize how generous of a man he really was. Ralph will be missed, and we need to win the big one for him.

Like other huge events during my lifetime, i will always remember where i heard the news...ironing a shirt in a hotel room in Providence RI. Till the day i join Ralph, will remember the shirt, the hotel, and GR on my phone.

RIP Ralph

Like other huge events during my lifetime, i will always remember where i heard the news...ironing a shirt in a hotel room in Providence RI. Till the day i join Ralph, will remember the shirt, the hotel, and GR on my phone.

RIP Ralph

My old boss used to make fun of me. Tell me I look at this site too much. "It's the offseason, it's not like there's anything important going on. Get to work." My reply was always "Brian, our owner is 95 years old. I don't want to curse it, but something could happen at any minute." I remember coming back from break, and seeing a thread titled "RIP Ralph Wilson" and I honestly thought it was some joke title, that Ralph had done some over the top cheap thing. When I clicked it, my heart stopped. I honestly had to take two hours of sick time just to process what I'd just read.

The way he set up the trust, he ensured the Bills would stay in Buffalo and led to the Pegulas buying the team, and the team and city are on the rise. He was a wonderful philanthropist and person. RIP Ralph.

I couldn't say it better.

R.I.P Mr. Wilson I never use the Ralph is Cheap madness I had tons of respect for the guy. He kept a franchise that I love dearly in WNY. In doing so I had far too much respect to disrespect his name. Unfortunately he passed on my birthday which made this even harder to believe. So today I celebrate my birthday and the life of the Bills long time owner. God Bless His Soul. Bills

R.I.P Mr. Wilson I never use the Ralph is Cheap madness I had tons of respect for the guy. He kept a franchise that I love dearly in WNY. In doing so I had far too much respect to disrespect his name. Unfortunately he passed on my birthday which made this even harder to believe. So today I celebrate my birthday and the life of the Bills long time owner. God Bless His Soul. Bills

Happy Birthday. Celebrate. It's what Ralph would have wanted.

The way he set up the trust, he ensured the Bills would stay in Buffalo and led to the Pegulas buying the team, and the team and city are on the rise. He was a wonderful philanthropist and person. RIP Ralph.

Agreed. I'd also add he was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.

RIP Ralph

So true.

I never understood the 'cheap' thing anyway. He doled out big bucks to star players during my life. He was more frugal with coaches but from making Kelly the highest paid player in the league (having never played in the NFL); to matching Bruce's Denver offer; all the way down to making rich men of Dockery and Walker....Ralph paid players.

Add in the fact that the man gave a billion dollars (read that again...) to his Foundation tells you all you need to know. He was Oz...sitting back and pulling all the strings so the Bills; us fans; and the greater Buffalo area would benefit for a very long time. All the while, he was taking 'cheap' shots knowing better days were coming and that he, himself, would never see or enjoy them. Thanks Mr. Wilson! :beer:

I know there's already a RIP Ralph thread. But Ralph gave us all a gift. Sure the gift has caused us a lot of money, and a lot of heartache, but a gift that we ultimate love and wouldn't want any way.

I thought I'd start a thread where people just left a message about what the Bills mean to them, maybe a memory of the team. Doesn't necessarily have to be about Ralph. It could be about a game you attended, meeting a player, or even a memory just from a game you watched on TV. Just something about what this team really means to you, despite a W-L record that hasn't always been so great.

Absolutely! He definitely did have a plan all along and got the last laugh. Check and mate

My facebook post about this man

One year ago today, heaven got a great man! I owe this man a lot in life. Not only did he keep the Bills in Buffalo, he made sure it stayed in Buffalo after his death. It wasnt all about money with Ralph, it was about morals and his belief that even a small market, like Buffalo, deserved a team. This man took the time out of his day to write a personal letter to me while on deployment and even answered my return letter to him. RIP Mr Wilson and THANK YOU!

I know I posted to this previously, but I have a little more time now & want to put a few more things in.

First, thanks Yolo for putting the post up. Next, over the years that Ralph owned the team, I, like others, would get frustrated at the direction the team would be in during those chunks of losing seasons. But I always loved him for bringing pro football to western NY. And ever since that happened, the Bills have been my favorite team in all of sports, and my favorite sports topic to discuss, year around. Last year at this time, I felt like a family member passed away when I got the news that Ralph died. And when I watched the Steve Tasker presser about Ralph, I don't know why, but it really hit home with me & tears were running down my face. Maybe it was that even though he was trying to hold it together, he told that funny story about Ralph wearing his "lucky pair of pants" on Thursday's practices.

Anyway, R I P Ralph and thanks again.

So true.

I never understood the 'cheap' thing anyway. He doled out big bucks to star players during my life. He was more frugal with coaches but from making Kelly the highest paid player in the league (having never played in the NFL); to matching Bruce's Denver offer; all the way down to making rich men of Dockery and Walker....Ralph paid players.

Add in the fact that the man gave a billion dollars (read that again...) to his Foundation tells you all you need to know. He was Oz...sitting back and pulling all the strings so the Bills; us fans; and the greater Buffalo area would benefit for a very long time. All the while, he was taking 'cheap' shots knowing better days were coming and that he, himself, would never see or enjoy them. Thanks Mr. Wilson! :beer:

Agree, he always didn't spend his money wisely but he did pay players. RIP Mr. Wilson.

My old boss used to make fun of me. Tell me I look at this site too much. "It's the offseason, it's not like there's anything important going on. Get to work." My reply was always "Brian, our owner is 95 years old. I don't want to curse it, but something could happen at any minute." I remember coming back from break, and seeing a thread titled "RIP Ralph Wilson" and I honestly thought it was some joke title, that Ralph had done some over the top cheap thing. When I clicked it, my heart stopped. I honestly had to take two hours of sick time just to process what I'd just read.

Your boss told you to get to work and you explained you couldn't because Ralph is old? Oh that's right you said "old boss."

Like ALL WNY'ers, I'm eternally grateful Miami wouldn't let his new team play in the Orange Bowl, so he went with his 2nd choice. This said, there has NEVER been a year in Bills history like this past year and the grimness of his frugality is finally fading away.

Rest in Peace, Ralph. Hooray for the Pegula's!!