Rivers in 2016?

Because it isn't really looked at favorably to try to push your way out of a franchise that you have carried for 10+ years and built a potential HOF career with. It is the perfect smokescreen or cover for forcing his way out of town. He leaves the franchise with no ill will and his legacy in tact.

And it keeps him a local San Diego hero when he becomes an ex-player. He ends up looking great if the team moves OR if he is traded, because it sets him up as against the move of the team, It's a no lose position.

I believe that he doesn't want to move, and that he doesn't like LA,, but I don't think that if push came to shove, and the Chargers had some promise as a team, that he would retire rather than play 2 or 3 seasons in LA. I think he is mostly feeling grumpy about probably having to move even though the team isn't very good, so when asked about it on a local radio show, he grumbles about it, knowing that the locals are sympathetic to it.

In other words, too much is being made of this.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why will people not accept that we cannot pay a established franchise QB anyway without tipping our our defensive applecart?

THEY ARE NOT COMING HERE

The only way we get a franchise QB is to draft one.....period

QB over Applecarts any day. Edited by Beef Jerky

Im not sure I agree. If it cost us bradham and Gilmore I like our odds of drafting a lb and cb over hitting on qb.... And that's assuming they don't get creative with structures and manage them all. You seem to think that the Broncos and saints and other teams with qbs don't have other big names scattered around the roster. Brees has two 10m+ defensive ends a true #1 corner and Byrd across the ball from him

This is the problem I have with all of this........

Nigel Bradham is a young up and coming stud of linebacker monster hitter and a big part of this defense (he also will not probably command a ridiculous contract

Gilmore is the closest thing we have to a lockdown corner......McKelvin is probably going to get sent packing with Darby sliding into that spot.......Rex needs his lock down corners to make his defense work

Our calling card is our defense......severely weakening that side of the ball in order to pay a franchise QB is a huge gamble for this team and its defensive minded coach.

It is just my opinion.....but I feel that this team is so stocked with talent as it is right now what we should do is package a healthy dose of picks and move up in this next draft for a QB........that way we keep our hard earned talent on the team and have a rookie QB contract on the team for some years.........

Nigel Bradham is a young up and coming stud of linebacker monster hitter and a big part of this defense (he also will not probably command a ridiculous contract

Gilmore is the closest thing we have to a lockdown corner......McKelvin is probably going to get sent packing with Darby sliding into that spot.......Rex needs his lock down corners to make his defense work

Our calling card is our defense......severely weakening that side of the ball in order to pay a franchise QB is a huge gamble for this team and its defensive minded coach.

It is just my opinion.....but I feel that this team is so stocked with talent as it is right now what we should do is package a healthy dose of picks and move up in this next draft for a QB........that way we keep our hard earned talent on the team and have a rookie QB contract on the team for some years.........

I think there's practically no chance that McKelvin is on the roster for 2016...not when they can save $3.9M on the cap by cutting him.

As much as it pains me, it wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen to Kyle Williams ($5M savings), Eric Wood ($2.4M savings), and Corey Graham ($2.6M savings). If that's what it takes to keep Dareus, Gilmore, Bradham, and Glenn, it'll be worth it IMO.

I'm not saying that's wrong if you see the right qb and have the picks to make the move.... But ultimately if we face the alternative of paying a vet vs keeping another guy; it's a whole lot easier to find a good corner and a whole lot easier to hide a so-so corner than it is to continue the orton/cassell/whoever era. Our identity would quickly become winning instead of defense if we found a pro bowl qb, even at the expense of some talent elsewhere

I'm not saying that's wrong if you see the right qb and have the picks to make the move.... But ultimately if we face the alternative of paying a vet vs keeping another guy; it's a whole lot easier to find a good corner and a whole lot easier to hide a so-so corner than it is to continue the orton/cassell/whoever era. Our identity would quickly become winning instead of defense if we found a pro bowl qb, even at the expense of some talent elsewhere

Broken record I know but.....

That is why I have always said it is in the best interests of this team for EJ to become a viable at least average starting QB.......it would give us a bridge to draft a QB high next year but not start him........bring him along.......and then start him the following year.

Broken record I know but.....

That is why I have always said it is in the best interests of this team for EJ to become a viable at least average starting QB.......it would give us a bridge to draft a QB high next year but not start him........bring him along.......and then start him the following year.

obviously ideal is we have a qb already, followed by we have a good prospect looking at us in the draft. but i think in the reality of regardless of qb play we are likely picking around 20-25 next year...... the discussion on going after a real PROVEN vet or rolling with a substandard guy becomes the debate and im not sure where you fall there. obviously none of us want to be there but thats where this discussion is really taking place i believe.

Twenty three pages... man is this team starved for a a good QB. Dreaming about Phillip Rivers is far beyond the dream for Sam Bradford IMO. The biggest reason why Rivers didn't re-sign with the Chargers is because,

"The stadium situation has become an issue with Rivers, who may not want to move his wife and seven (yes, seven) children to Los Angeles, if the team relocates."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/philip-rivers-wont-sign-a-new-contract-before-his-current-one-expires/

How on earth could this team even afford to sign Rivers in 2016 when they can't afford to keep all the players they already have. Dareus, Gilmore, Bradham, and Glenn with the starting LT being talked about as the odd man out will just screw this team again for a few years. Remember the 2013 season with Rivers getting knocked about on a bad offense...

Twenty three pages... man is this team starved for a a good QB. Dreaming about Phillip Rivers is far beyond the dream for Sam Bradford IMO. The biggest reason why Rivers didn't re-sign with the Chargers is because,

"The stadium situation has become an issue with Rivers, who may not want to move his wife and seven (yes, seven) children to Los Angeles, if the team relocates."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/philip-rivers-wont-sign-a-new-contract-before-his-current-one-expires/

How on earth could this team even afford to sign Rivers in 2016 when they can't afford to keep all the players they already have. Dareus, Gilmore, Bradham, and Glenn with the starting LT being talked about as the odd man out will just screw this team again for a few years. Remember the 2013 season with Rivers getting knocked about on a bad offense...

Not the fans' fault they know what wins more than our brass.

McCoy/Clay are worth maybe .1 wins. Rivers about 4. Go ahead and shout down the "idiots" who didn't make the decision to pay the former two a king's ransom and complain we have no $. :sick:

He's been backed by a top a 10 D 3 times in the last 5 years (#1 in 2010). This has resulted in 1 playoff year, 1 playoff win.

Besides, why would SD let him go?

Gimme horrible outdated stats for $400.

Football Outsiders has 7, 29, 18, 32, 25 for the last 5yrs.

Not the fans' fault they know what wins more than our brass.

McCoy/Clay are worth maybe .1 wins. Rivers about 4. Go ahead and shout down the "idiots" who didn't make the decision to pay the former two a king's ransom and complain we have no $. :sick:

the Bills knew he wasn't available. No matter what the media says, he was never available for trade. He will not be a FA either. Should they just sit on the money, not try to win now, and pray that some team decides to part with their franchise QB ? Edited by YoloinOhio

the Bills knew he wasn't available. No matter what the media says, he was never available for trade. He will not be a FA either. Should they just sit on the money, not try to win now, and pray that some team decides to part with their franchise QB ?

Was responding to someone lamenting not being able to afford Glenn and/or other key players.

"So just sit on the $"???

Oh how I missed these brilliant straw-men on tbd the last 4 months.

Was responding to someone lamenting not being able to afford Glenn and/or other key players.

"So just sit on the $"???

Oh how I missed these brilliant straw-men on tbd the last 4 months.

your post said Clay/mccoy .1 wins and Rivers 4 wins... It sounded like you felt the Bills should not have paid clay and mccoy so that they could have money to "sign" Rivers. Apologies that I missed that you actually meant Glenn.

True but I could see Rivers as the type of guy that would retire out in that situation. I wouldn't say that it is likely but he could try to force their hand a la Adrian Peterson.

KJ - I would love Rivers. I always thought he was a tough guy, and reminds me of Kelly. I hope he comes but it is like Bledsoe. He was at the end.

KJ - I would love Rivers. I always thought he was a tough guy, and reminds me of Kelly. I hope he comes but it is like Bledsoe. He was at the end.

Again, it's less than a 1% chance he is ever coming here, but are we sure he even has the arm strength for Buffalo? He has played in SD his whole career and has a weird motion as is.

He won't move a couple hours down the road, he's not coming to Buffalo, NY. Lol.

He isn't coming. But for a guy like him, Buffalo might be more of an ideal place for his family than LA.

I'm a fan of the player too. He comes across as a whiner as an opposing fan. He's a great QB and should he ever be available (not likely) someone would be thrilled to land him.

your post said Clay/mccoy .1 wins and Rivers 4 wins... It sounded like you felt the Bills should not have paid clay and mccoy so that they could have money to "sign" Rivers. Apologies that I missed that you actually meant Glenn.

Not your "fault" Yolo, you replied to a poorly worded post & IMO no apology necessary.

• 1 month later...

Not bad news atleast

Odds are that he will stay with the Chargers. The few stories that I have read regarding his contract situation indicate that if he were to leave it would be to a team in the south and closer to his and his wife's families. Tennessee's drafting of Mariota closed out one of his preferred locations.

Wishful thinking :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: but if he was our qb this year the Bills would be serious SB contenders. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

that would be fine by me. We need him here ASAP. Super Bowl!!

obviously he wont just be a UFA, but even at a high compensation, there would be teams very interested.

Absolutely agree with both of you.

I think I'd happily ship two 1sts to SD to get him...it would take some careful tinkering with contracts to make it happen though.

Unless they have a horrible season and draft an assumed franchise QB next year I cant see this happening. And They're a pretty good team with a good coach, i like what they did in off season signing Stevie and drafting Gordon. Rivers may not be truly elite but unless someone has a franchise QB in tow, no one wants to venture into the unknown of QB hell like teams like bills, jets, browns, etc have been for years.

Edited by JTSP

For what teams are spending $20m on today they would be crazy not to re-sign rivers. Way better than dalton, tennenhill, Wilson etc.

He's a legitimate franchise QB.

It's my impression that Rivers is the guy holding up the deal...I think the team would gladly pay him.

Whats the cost of us trading for a tagged player again?

two 1sts?

CBF

To trade for a tagged player is undetermined; it gets negotiated just like any other trade.

To sign him--assuming they apply the non-exclusive version of the tag--requires that the team give compensation in the form of their own 1st-round picks from the next two drafts.

Find a way to sign Rivers and keep our guys. Mortgage the future but give yourself a 2 year Superbowl window... if we end up in the play-offs (even if 1 and done) or just outside them this year with the level of QBs we have I would do it.

Agree it will not happen though...