Bills, McCoy agree on new 5-yr contract

The salary cap is formulaic and tied to total NFL revenue. NFL revenue rose in 2014 from the prior year, so the cap for 2015 will rise with it.

But the jump was big this year because of new TV deals. It goes up every year but usually incrementally. The jump next year will be substantially smaller than this year's, unless something unforeseen happens with TV deals.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the jump was big this year because of new TV deals. It goes up every year but usually incrementally. The jump next year will be substantially smaller than this year's, unless something unforeseen happens with TV deals.

Apparently we could be seeing a 10 million dollar increase in the cap each year for the next two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

Apparently we could be seeing a 10 million dollar increase in the cap each year for the next two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

I don't disagree with either of you guys. The simple fact here is that NFL revenue hasn't declined year over year in a long long time. As long as it grows, the salary cap will grow with it, whether by $10 million as billsfan89 says or by a smaller amount.

Interesting but I will wait to see what the new numbers are. Usually the increases in the cap are not 10m a year like it was this year.

I don't disagree with either of you guys. The simple fact here is that NFL revenue hasn't declined year over year in a long long time. As long as it grows, the salary cap will grow with it, whether by $10 million as billsfan89 says or by a smaller amount.

Yup. It always goes up I think.

It was leaked by Adam Shekler that part of the new contract is that the Bills have agreed to play two games a season in Harrisburg.

Small taters. I heard Pegs is negotiating with PA to buy Harrisburg and move it to Canalside...

It was leaked by Adam Shekler that part of the new contract is that the Bills have agreed to play two games a season in Harrisburg.

harrisburg is not far from hershey P.A(chocolate town usa).. , just a short jaunt down the highway.

Edited by dwight in philly

Did anyone really think he was going to sit out? Rbs can't risk playing hardball with NFL teams.

Especially when he only has $1mil in guaranteed money. The Bills could cut him tomorrow and if (for the sake of argument) he wasnt picked up, would only cost us $1mil against the cap and only this year. He has no bargaining chip except the fact that his cap hit is so high if he were to play this year under the current deal.

This front office continues to show time and time again that they know what they're doing.

They do. It's gonna be hard for all of us to get used to not having inept idiots in control. I like how things are going for the first time since Polian left.

I don't understand all the excitement over this news. Just because he's softening his cap hit this year doesn't mean he's taking a pay cut. It means we're committing more years to a rb with a lot of miles on him.

Sounds like it's time that you become a Jets fan. Lord knows they have been doing everything right for years now.

My opinion:

Bills will add 1 year to the deal with some funny money on the back end so the agent looks good, and they'll turn some of this upcoming years base salary into a signing bonus. Agent looks good with the "new 4 year deal", Shady is happy because he gets some money guaranteed and upfront in the form of the signing bonus, and the Bills are happy because they can prorate the signing bonus over the duration of the deal and pickup some immediate cap relief.

His deal as is stands today:

2015: $10.25M, cap hit the same

2016: $7.15M, cap hit the same

2017: $7.85M, cap hit the same

3 years - $25.25M

Prediction for his extension/restructure:

Signing Bonus of $8M (prorated over 4 years, $2M/year)

2015: $2.5M, cap hit of $4.5M

2016: $7.5M, cap hit of $9.5M

2017: $8M, cap hit of $10M

2018: $9M, cap hit of $11M

4 years - $35M, $10.5M Guaranteed.

Essentially a 2 year - $18M or 3 year - $26M deal depending on if the Bills cut him after 2 or 3 seasons.

Edited by Estro

I'm so sick of the McCoy has too many miles comments. Everthing is on the oline. Open up holes he will make you pay. And I know people will say any back can do that, but not every back is McCoy. Not to mention how a rb with some miles on his is wheels is somehow worse than a lb with 2 torn acls and a torn hip labrum. Lmmfao

It doesn't mean more years. They are agreeing to a revised contract that probably shifts this money to sometype of signing bonus and which lessens his cap hit.

I don't understand all the excitement over this news. Just because he's softening his cap hit this year doesn't mean he's taking a pay cut. It means we're committing more years to a rb with a lot of miles on him.

This is why. It's evidence that "Cash to the Cap" is dead. That fugazi accounting method was preventing us from being even remotely competitive in acquiring and retaining players. Dollars spent in a given year and the salary cap are two completely different things. You are 100% correct that McCoy isn't taking a pay cut. He's converting his base salary into a bonus that can then be amortized over the rest of the deal. Real NFL teams do this stuff all the time. We didn't and it was killing us.

People are excited because we get to have a front office that can punch with two hands for the first time since roughly 1994.

It doesn't mean more years. They are agreeing to a revised contract that probably shifts this money to sometype of signing bonus and which lessens his cap hit.

It's pretty positively going to be 1-2 more years but those will amount to team options with pretty mild cap penalties for cutting him, I'd assume.

The fact that McCoy is relatively close to signing a contract after reportedly not wanting to go to Buffalo is a great sign, IMO. It would seem as though the initial shock factor has worn off and he may be coming around. It likely means that he will report when required. Hopefully he plays with a chip on his shoulder and makes sure that the Bills Brass come out looking like geniuses and making sure that the Eagles know the Bills got the better deal for allowing this trade to happen.

Great post FL. If he plays with half the chip Thurman had, I think we will be OK.

Wouldn't that simply be common sense? McCoy's contract will pay him about $9.75 million for this season. Left as is, that would be the cap hit for this year. I think his salary for next year is $6.7 million and about $7.5 million or so in 2017. If anyone could say with a straight face that the Bills are going to both pay him more than that AND have a bigger impact to their cap space, I got a bridge to sell them. Right now, only $1 million of his contract is guaranteed. The highest likely scenario is that the Bills give him more guaranteed money, that's spread out over more years such that their cap hit comes down. Heck, I would bet anyone right now that it will be less than $9.75 million.

Well, there's the break in your logic, right there. The sky's blue: No it's not. It's cloudy over here! It's warming up outside: You must be joking about that! There's still snow on the ground and the beaches won't open for months. The Bills are making some positive moves this off season: Those aren't the moves I'd make nor are they what the talking heads say they should be doing. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's the harangue of deranged small-minded people.

Way to piss in the punchbowl......

Some Bills "fans" take it to an art form. Others are just born miserable and live through life as grumpy, grouchy jerks.

I was assuming this was about Colt McCoy...

Well.......Tuel, Kolb, Lewis, EJ, Orton, Cassell not withstanding, perhaps.

Mr. WEO, I would have to respectfully disagree in regards to Kolb and Orton. Kolb was a good signing for us, he and the Bills just had bad luck with the concussion not to mention the side line slip that caused him to be out of practice and preseason for a few weeks. Other than how Orton left...which was a pretty S@!tty way to go, he had us a game away from the playoffs. Not sure how any of us could complain about that since we have not sniffed even a hint of getting to the playoffs in years.

PS. Jury still out on Cassell. He may turn out to be an okay game manger for the short term.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

Serious question: Who the heck is Joe Chenelly, and why should I trust his tweets?

From his twitter..

Proud father of five, husband, combat veteran, professional communicator and advocate for children and injured and ill veterans.

Fairport, NY & Washington, DC
Lots of political posts and pics from DC on hi feed as well.
He seems to have some connections within the Bills most likely due from his work as an advocate. IIRC, he was the first to report Rex had a second interview with the Pegula's and that Rex watched the Pats* Ravens game with them...
Edited by Reed83HOF

Serious question: Who the heck is Joe Chenelly, and why should I trust his tweets?

like any social media you just take it fwiw. This guy feels comfortable putting out this info for a reason. He may have a connection, he may not. I wouldn't take it as gospel but it's out there for anyone to see - clearly he is putting himself out there, if he's full of it that's quite a risk IMO

From his twitter..

Proud father of five, husband, combat veteran, professional communicator and advocate for children and injured and ill veterans.

Fairport, NY & Washington, DC
Lots of political posts and pics from DC on hi feed as well.
He seems to have some connections within the Bills most likely due from his work as an advocate. IIRC, he was the first to report Rex had a second interview with the Pegula's and that Rex watched the Pats* Ravens game with them...

So he's you or Leroi?? :lol:

Im not trying to bash the guy or the posters who are putting up his tweets. Just wondering since my Google search gave me only that same non-information.

like any social media you just take it fwiw. This guy feels comfortable putting out this info for a reason. He may have a connection, he may not. I wouldn't take it as gospel but it's out there for anyone to see - clearly he is putting himself out there, if he's full of it that's quite a risk IMO

Especially with what it looks like he does for work...

Sure thing, I was just wondering if there was some info I was missing. Like he was a new reporter for someone. Or Whaley's college buddy. Or whatever.

So he's you or Leroi?? :lol:

Im not trying to bash the guy or the posters who are putting up his tweets. Just wondering since my Google search gave me only that same non-information.

LOL definitely not me :lol:

I just followed him the other day, but went back through his tweets and recalled seeing the stuff about Rex pop up and that he was the first to report the second interview...

As YOLO said you take it for what it's worth. With what it appears he does for a living, you really would think that he wouldn't be going out there and ruining his credibility...

Then again, never underestimate the stupidtiy of people... :pirate:

Chris Trapasso retweeted

I8nbN5U9_bigger.jpegJeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane 2m2 minutes ago

LeSean McCoy and #Bills have agreed upon new 5-yr contract once trade w/ #Eagles is finalized on Tues, per NFL sources. Told it's a whopper.

rosenhaus had McGahee call shady while they were negotiating to scare us into giving more money. Edited by kr632